PDA

View Full Version : Cara Dillon

aquapiranha
12-10-2008, 18:27
I have been a massive fan of this singer for a few years now. She has a fantastic voice, tinged with a slight Irish lilt - her having grown up around Dungiven. Well, I finally had the opportunity to go and see her live on Friday night at the Millennium Forum in Derry.

Absolutley bloody fantastic! she is everything I had hoped and more! supported by a great band including her partner Sam Lakeman, who may or may not be the brother of the famous Seth Lakeman ( who plays on the new album too...)

After the show I got to say hello as she signed the copy of her new CD for me (Hill of Thieves - supposed to be released in January, but available at the concerts) and she is a lovely girl.

Another mention must go to the support act, Eilidh Patterson (she has a myspace page and a website) who has a really sweet yet powerful voice - fantastic.

If you like folky female vocal stuff you should check out Cara, she really is great.

:)

Marco
13-10-2008, 08:51
Cara is a superb singer (I have all her albums), and rather cute too ;)

Marco.

Alan
16-10-2008, 21:10
All seconded - The redcastle sessions is quite lovely, though only available on DVD. Anyone know how to convert dvd audio to a cd? I can't even play it on the laptop.

aquapiranha
16-10-2008, 21:48
All seconded - The redcastle sessions is quite lovely, though only available on DVD. Anyone know how to convert dvd audio to a cd? I can't even play it on the laptop.

I sound like I am obsessed, but it really was a fantastic experience, all "hairs on the back of your neck" type stuff! and of course she was playing to a home crowd in Derry. Turns out she grew up just a couple of miles away from where my "long distance" girlfreind lives near dungiven, and I never new that until I mentiond Cara to her.... and the other half's mother was chatting to her the other month too...small world.

Now I just need to bump into Kate Bush in aldi and my life will be complete.... :)

not sure on the DVD/CD thing though sorry...

Marco
17-10-2008, 13:21
So, guys, what are your favourite Cara tracks, then? I vote for either 'Black is the Colour' from her first album or 'The Snows They Melt the Soonest' from 'After the Morning'.

Both, IMO, showcase her sublime creamy smooth, honey-tinged, voice.

Both tracks are also a good test for a hi-fi system as they're quite challenging recordings. In the wrong system things can get a bit 'toppy' sounding, especially as the chorus kicks in, and the bass-line loses the plot.

Marco.

aquapiranha
18-10-2008, 10:51
Well Marco choosing a fave is for me a little hard.... I suppose if forced I might go with Black is the colour or maybe P.. Stands for Paddy..

Have you heard the new album "Hill of thieves"? she played a few from it at the concert, and as I say I queued for her to sign my copy! what a beautiful lady she is too...

Marco
18-10-2008, 17:36
Steve, I didn't know she had a new album out. I'll be buying it, though! :)

How does it compare to her other stuff?

Marco.

aquapiranha
18-10-2008, 20:37
I like the new stuff, some of it is a bit "up tempo" compared to most of the older stuff, and there is one on the album in Gaelic too...

I am sure she said at the concert that the new alnum was not "officially" launched until January, but seeing as they were being sold at the venue it may be due for an earlier release...?

Marco
18-10-2008, 21:26
I'll have a look, Steve. If not, I'm happy to wait until January :)

She deserves wider recognition, IMO.

Marco.