PDA

View Full Version : Alphason HR100S tonearm

StanleyB
12-10-2008, 12:07
Anyone knows how heavy the bias weight is on this arm? I seem to have misplaced it somewhere and would like to get a new bias weight made up.
How do I work out if it has the mono crystal silver wiring?

Marco
12-10-2008, 13:25
Stan,

Guy Sergeant (Puresound) has got one. PM him, mate, and he'll give you all the info you need :)

Marco.

StanleyB
12-10-2008, 13:33
Thanks Marco. I'll wait and see if he responds to the topic first. Just in case the info turns up in a google search of anyone who is ever interested in the answer:).

thrunobulaxx
13-10-2008, 10:41
Thanks Marco. I'll wait and see if he responds to the topic first. Just in case the info turns up in a google search of anyone who is ever interested in the answer:).

Hi Stan, Guy`s arm is an alphason xenon i think, i made him a new S/S C/w for it a while back, i think is was about 140 - 150grams.
You may have to improvise by getting a big blob of blu-tak and sticking it on the stub and add coins untill you get your VTF, then weigh the lot on the stylus scales or wifes cookery type if she has them, and let me know, i can then knock you one up.
Have you found that micrometer yet ? it would be handy to know the stub dia as i have forgotten.:doh:

StanleyB
13-10-2008, 10:46
Hi Stan, Guy`s arm is an alphason xenon i think, i made him a new S/S C/w for it a while back, i think is was about 140 - 150grams.
You may have to improvise by getting a big blob of blu-tak and sticking it on the stub and add coins untill you get your VTF, then weigh the lot on the stylus scales or wifes cookery type if she has them, and let me know, i can then knock you one up.
Have you found that micrometer yet ? it would be handy to know the stub dia as i have forgotten.:doh:
It's the bias weight I am after. The micrometer needs batteries. I shall see what the pound shop sells...

pure sound
13-10-2008, 12:07
Hi Stan. I'm sure the hanging weight used on the Xenon is probably the same as was used on the HR100S however I've no means here of weighing it accurately unless you've any suggestions!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/pure_sound/tt2.jpg

Actually, having just looked I'd guess it was stainless steel. It is 10mm long and 10mm diameter. It has a hole bored through it of perhaps 1-1.5mm and a counterbore at one end of maybe 2-3mm for the knot to sit in. Its hung on very fine (1lb? monofilament) fishing line.

J7 re-built this arm from an incomplete kit of parts, I supplied him some Audio Note silver wire for inside & out. I'm sure the HR100S was fitted with vdH cable as standard.

StanleyB
13-10-2008, 12:20
Actually, having just looked I'd guess it was stainless steel. It is 10mm long and 10mm diameter. It has a hole bored through it of perhaps 1-1.5mm and a counterbore at one end of maybe 2-3mm for the knot to sit in. Its hung on very fine (1lb? monofilament) fishing line.

Thanks pal. That is enough info to go by. Just need John to make me the armboard so I can fit it to my DDX-1000.

Very soon I am gonna have to sell some of those arm of mine. Maybe I should wait till after the credit crunch...

Stan

pure sound
13-10-2008, 13:14
Probably wise. Have you got any interesting ones to sell?

StanleyB
13-10-2008, 15:22
When I have finally found all of them I shall put up a list. I hid a pile of the stuff in the 80's in order to keep them away from the effects of family planning. My loft is massive, and it takes time to rummage through the lot... Used to work at Lasky's in the 80's :eyebrows:. Staff price on 'faulty goods' was 20% or less on the value of the goods.

Mike
13-10-2008, 17:44
I shall see what the pound shop sells...

Flat batteries usually! ;)

pure sound
13-10-2008, 19:47
When I have finally found all of them I shall put up a list. I hid a pile of the stuff in the 80's in order to keep them away from the effects of family planning. My loft is massive, and it takes time to rummage through the lot... Used to work at Lasky's in the 80's :eyebrows:. Staff price on 'faulty goods' was 20% or less on the value of the goods.

I'll take the silver wired FR66 !