PDA

View Full Version : Sky switch over offer from Virgin

Tarzan
27-06-2011, 17:05
Hope l am posting this in the correct part of the forum, ( moderators feel free to move), anyhoo, has any body taken up the above offer or had dealings with Virgin, how is their customer service, in this deal they offering free installation and free repair,they use fibre optic cable, ( we have the SKY dish so get signal in bad weather)so this should be a better signal/ picture/sound? Also l understand that their Broadband is very quick, plus a free land line to boot and two V+ HD Boxes as well, this all sounds too good am l missing anything?:scratch:

colinB
27-06-2011, 18:04
My mate has the same Bravia as me and he gets a much better picture on his using virgin and his broadband is better than his previous bt. Mind you i am using a indoor aerial :doh:

sparrow
27-06-2011, 18:24
I've been a Virgin customer for years and always had good service from them..recomended..

alfie2902
27-06-2011, 19:31
I was a Virgin customer went over to Sky & then did full circle to Virgin again.

Virgin's internet is way ahead of Sky's.

Picture & sound quality on the TV was pretty similar for me, It depends though on your cable signal strength, but so does Sky with the dish signal. The cable is better in bad weather though. I prefer Sky for TV package though tbh.

I would check again that your getting a free landline, you don't usually, read the small print.

With Sky you buy the hardware so after 12 months any repairs cost you! With Virgin all the hardware is hired to they repair for free.

The new Virgin superhubs are not that good & take a little messing with to keep them up & running. The wireless isn't as good as their old 2 box system. There's lots written on the internet about this though.

Virgin in the long run seems to cost a little more than Sky once the six month offers are over, not alot though.

Customer service from both is shite IMHO, that's the reason I left Virgin & then left Sky. First stop with any problems is a call centre in India, where they seem to just read from crib sheets & are a waste of time.

So I would say phone wise very little difference! TV package is better with Sky! Internet is far far better on Virgin! You pays your money......

Tarzan
27-06-2011, 20:44
Cheers chaps:thumbsup:, anybody else with experiences?:)

leo
27-06-2011, 22:37
We currently use Virgin broadband 50mb (supposed to be going up to 100mb ) and Sky+ HD, been thinking of changing over to Virgin digital tv, will obviously loose many of the channels we get with sky but tbh doubt we'd miss it.
Regarding Virgin broadband, we've never had any problems.

Thing Fish
27-06-2011, 22:47
I have used Virgin broadband now for 4 years and it delivers everytime. Very reliable and super quick.

I had sky many years ago but never again. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Rare Bird
27-06-2011, 22:50
Well we have Sky for the sake of the wife. we also have Humax Freesat & Freeview boxes, if i had my way it would be the latter two.We use AOL Broadband with BT package.

MCRU
28-06-2011, 08:56
Virgin dug up my road months ago and said they would be connecting us soon, that was ages ago!

Zoidburg
28-06-2011, 19:01
I had virgin at my old place and was always very happy with their service, especially the BB which was far far better than my current supplier (i dont live in a virgin area now). I do have sky for TV only now and Im really happy with them, iv had them out 3 times to move my dish after the management company of my block objected to it and sky have been nothing but helpfull and not charged me a penny at all.

lovejoy
22-07-2011, 11:53
I've been a Virgin Media customer for around 5 years, moving from Sky and I've never looked back.

In that 5 years I've had cause to call their helpline (which is free and answered quickly) once! This was when my TV signal disappeared. It was rectified within 30 minutes.

I had the V+ box up until last night, and although the box was a bit clunky to navigate, picture quality was very good, especially with HD and knocked the built in Freesat HD on my Panasonic LED for 6.

The broadband is also excellent, and (again up until last night) I was on their 10Mb connection. In every speed test I did, it never dropped below 9Mb. That's pretty impressive.

Last night I had the new Tivo (500GB) box delivered along with a SuperHub and a 30Mb broadband connection. They're doing silly deals on the upgrades at the moment and I'm only going to be paying an extra £9/month for the improvements.

The first thing that struck me was the picture quality on the Tivo box. The V+ was good, but this is in another league! Contrast and detail levels are amazing, so get a good HD broadcast and it's seriously involving. Even the crappy low bitrate channels like Dave don't look bad at all.

The Tivo box is way faster and more responsive than the V+ as well, but what I love most about it is that you can give it a list of things/people/subjects you like and it'll happily record anything containing the keywords you give it. For example, I did a search for Rhod Gilbert and not only did the box pick up his stand up show, but the fact that he was appearing on Just a Minute on Radio 4 extra. How ace is that?

The SuperHub so far seems pretty whizzy. I'm hoping it will happily replace my Airport Express, but I'll give it a week or so before I decide for sure. My house is long and narrow with the router at the very front and I always had trouble going to the back of the house, so this will be a good means of comparison.

Oh yes, and I can now set Tivo box recordings from wherever I am via the Virgin website - coming soon to mobile devices (once they've fixed a couple of bugs).

In all, I can't fault them and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

chelsea
23-07-2011, 23:31
Have had sky,virgin and bt.

Would take sky for tv virgin for broadband.

Mr.Ian
25-07-2011, 21:24
I run BT for phones, VM for internet and Sky for TV probably the most expensive option about but at least it works. I have tried other combinations in the distant past.

VM. It was NTL back then but bills were always wrong and correcting was a nightmare. recent experiences of trying to get VM to honour price matches for new customers suggested little has changed. The NTL digi box was very very slow to respond to button presses - might be wortb checking this out with the newer boxes.

Broadband is very fast and pretty reliable - not 100% reliable but almost - drop out problems are usually short lived day at most but frustrating when they occur. Speed for me is way way better than any other provider - but I am some way from the exchange

Sky. Premium rate call numbers for virtually everything is bad bad news but fortunately I seldom need to call them. Lots of hidden charges on phone calls relative to BT means the costs are not as cheap as I expected. I am some way from the exchange so 1mb is best I can get internet wise. Problems when they do occur have always been fixed fast.

BT. apart from some dubious third party sales calls all seems fine but I only have the phone.

synsei
05-10-2011, 20:57
I can't comment on VM tv as I use a plain vanilla Sony freeview box, but I'm on VM's 10mb BB and I can echo everyone else's experiences, it is very reliable, hardly ever drops below 9mb and off peak can sometimes reach as high as 12mb (dunno how that's possible but I ain't gonna call them to find out just in case they 'fix' it :lol:).