- Thorens 160 super with a Mitchell clamp
- Micro Seiki CF1 (carbon fiber) arm with Nagaoka MP-50 or Ortofon S 15-T
- Eumig C-1000 preamp used as turntable pre
- Magneplanar MG 2.5/RT speakers
- Blue Mogami speaker cables

http://hoone.com/AoSPicture1.jpg

Macca
26-06-2011, 00:27
Hi Juha- the Cambridge Cd4 has a bit of magic about it for me - but I think not many are still in working order nowadays though. Good that yours is still going strong:cool:

Slippershod
26-06-2011, 08:11
unusual arm / table combination. Arm looks the business.

Marco
26-06-2011, 08:18
Hi Juha,

Welcome to AoS! Nice system :)

So what happens when you want to light the fire? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Juha
26-06-2011, 08:24
After installing Squeezebox Server and Exact Audio Copy, I have ripped most CD's to FLAC files. After sorting the cover art with Bliss I am all set to go. Apple IPad acts as a super luxury remote for the humble Squeezebox Classic.

In Estonia record stores are empty. Nobody buys CD's any more. Everybody has decent internet connectivity and plenty of computers. Every man, woman and child has downloading going on all the time. It is hard to resist the instant access to unlimited FLAC files.

But even the Cambridge Audio CD4 sounds better than streaming FLACS. In my tests the old cd player sounds better. It has more detail and air than the duller Squeezebox.

Rare Bird
27-06-2011, 13:09
Hi Juha
You don't usually see many Quad '522' how did you manage to get hold of that being in Estonia?

Juha
27-06-2011, 16:12
I found my Quad 522 some five years ago on the floor of a computer junk shop in Helsinki, Finland. It has unusual 4 pin xlr speaker terminals. Inside we find input transformers for balanced input.

I am a Finn living in Estonia. I visit Helsinki often. Being a computer consultant I visit computer stores a lot. Over the years I have made many good audio finds in used equipment markets, car-boot sales and such places.

In Tallinn we have two nice second hand hifi shops. Have a look at our local loudspeakers company: www.audes.ee

jandl100
27-06-2011, 21:48
Nice looking and unusual system!

But even the Cambridge Audio CD4 sounds better than streaming FLACS. In my tests the old cd player sounds better. It has more detail and air than the duller Squeezebox.

On another UK hifi forum there's been a bit of a debate about this. Some folk, me included, say CD players sound better than streamers. Others can hear no difference.

You must have good ears ... like me! :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
27-06-2011, 22:39
Shushhhhhh! let them keep flogging those CD players cheap :eyebrows:

morris_minor
29-11-2011, 16:15

Hi Juha,

I'm new around here and clicking around found your thread . . .

As someone with 6 Squeezebox players (Transporter, SB3, Receiver, Boom, 2 x Radios - iPeng on an iPad etc) I've played around a lot with DACs and stuff.

When I had the SB3 as my main 'box, I found that sticking a DAC on it tightened things up considerably. My choice - at a time when DACs were actually fairly rare (at least at my price point :lol: ) - I found a broadcast quality DAC by Sonifex (http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbdac1_ld.shtml) - without the rackmount front - that did the trick. Now the choice is, of course, huge - but if you can try out a decent DAC I'm sure you'll hear the difference.

Also, changing the switched mode power supply for a linear one also has benefits.

The latest SB Touch also benefits from an external DAC and linear supply (but you'll have to frequent the Slim Devices forum for more views on this!).

Cheers,
Bob

Juha
29-11-2011, 19:46
I have since found that DACs make a difference.

I was using the older SB3. This did not sound as good as direct CD player. Later after Squeezebox Touch purchase I changed my mind. Now FLACs sound identical to CDs.

I am now looking into testing other DACs. M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is a respected computer audio box. Let's see if this beats SB Touch.

Reid Malenfant
29-11-2011, 20:13
Ooooh Maggies :) Very nice to Juha, I can't say that I have heard of that model of Quad amp, but if it can drive the Magneplanars it's doing good :eyebrows:

Which reminds me, not seen Alex (another maggie owner) on here for an age? :scratch:

mattross
29-11-2011, 20:17
I have a Slim Devices Transporter (+ FLAC files), but I still prefer the sound of my Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista CD player.

morris_minor
29-11-2011, 20:17
Now FLACs sound identical to CDs.

I am now looking into testing other DACs. M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is a respected computer audio box. Let's see if this beats SB Touch.
I find CD audio sounds better when liberated from those pesky little silver discs :lol:

Good luck with your DAC testing. I use a little M-Audio ADC for recording LPs. IMO semi-pro gear gives good performance at non-ripoff prices. :lolsign: