PDA

View Full Version : Spotify cutting out

colinB
23-06-2011, 19:16
I was looking forward to a session of Neil Young archives tonight on spotify but it keeps dropping out. Never had any problem before. I was watching 4od and i kept losing picture but its a very unreliable app on my ps3 so dont know if its related.
I checked download speed and its showing 6mb which is good for me.
Annoying!

Reid Malenfant
23-06-2011, 19:18
Aye, happened to me a about a week ago Colin :rolleyes: It kept wanting to send a crash report. After about the fourth try i simply gave up, stuff that :eyebrows:

It didn't stop, it simply crashed & every time i logged back in it did the bugger again! Jeez :doh:

colinB
23-06-2011, 19:25
So its spotify Mark ? The robbers are taking a tenner of me a month. I do like it though so i`ll forget about tonight.

Reid Malenfant
23-06-2011, 19:33
From my end it's spotify, it's there stuff crashing & not my lappy :eyebrows:

colinB
23-06-2011, 19:36
If i get computer problems i try and remind myself of my first computer ten years ago and it taking 6 hours to download a shamen track :lol:

Tim
23-06-2011, 19:51
Colin, have you just upgraded to Spotify Premium?

colinB
23-06-2011, 19:57
Yes. Im playing another album now and its behaving itself. I hope it was just a blip because i do love it.
Its like going into your favorite record shop and helping yourself.

Tim
23-06-2011, 20:04
I'm guessing you have upped the bitrate in the preferences too? If this is the case, then it's a common problem. It's more than likely your internet connection, as by going over to Premium you have doubled your bit rate, so doubled the amount of data Spotify needs to download. If you have a slowish connection, then this could be a bottle neck.

Have you ever checked your speed? You can do it easily here http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

Have a shot at that and post back the results?

colinB
23-06-2011, 20:20
7440 kbs and a download speed of 600 kbs. I have only realized a few days ago courtesy of a AOS member, that i had not adjusted the download input.
That speed on my sky modem is pretty good for me. It can often be as low as 4.

Tim
23-06-2011, 20:33
7440 kbs and a download speed of 600 kbs. I have only realized a few days ago courtesy of a AOS member, that i had not adjusted the download input.
That speed on my sky modem is pretty good for me. It can often be as low as 4.
That's not too bad, I normally get around 6500 down and 400 up. But I do occasionally get the odd drop out, not often but it happens. I never get any drop outs if I switch to the 160kbps download speed. At work I only get about 4500 down and it drops out a lot. If you are doing anything else on the internet at the time, this will have an impact as well.

That is the only downside of switching to Premium, you do need a good connection to cope with the extra data.

colinB
23-06-2011, 20:37
Maybe i will go to the £5 option. Seems like i was listening to standard for a month any way and didnt notice the difference.

Tim
23-06-2011, 20:45
I have to say though Colin, I don't often get a cut out at home these days and it does seem to have settled in now. I have been running Premium quite happily now for around 4 months and wouldn't go back to 160 kbps.

And you are right, it is like having your own record store, I love it :cool:

idc
24-06-2011, 02:19
I had this problem and e-mailed both Spotify and my ISP. Both blamed throttling, BT cutting back on bandwidth particularly at busier times.

It is one of the reasons why I went to Premium. I decide what I will listen to and download it first, so it does not cut out.

Thing Fish
24-06-2011, 02:26
My vinyl record don't drop out...:lol:

WAD62
24-06-2011, 08:57
My vinyl record don't drop out...:lol:

Nor does my FLAC library...nor pop, nor hiss, nor scratch etc. ;)

icehockeyboy
24-06-2011, 10:37
It is one of the reasons why I went to Premium. I decide what I will listen to and download it first, so it does not cut out.

Can I ask how do you download first before you play? :scratch:

Tim
24-06-2011, 12:00
Can I ask how do you download first before you play? :scratch:
Premium members can download to a suitable device like an iPhone and play the files offline. You just sync your playlists to a compatible device.

http://www.spotify.com/uk/get-spotify/premium/

idc
24-06-2011, 15:32
On the top right hand of the screen is 'Available Offline' and there is a switch which you slide to one side and that downloads the album onto my laptop.

I also make up playlists with individual tracks which have been made available offline.

You cannot do anything with the downloaded music other than paly it through Spotify.

dannyboylost
21-12-2011, 23:39
Hello there,

I have spotify premium on an imac and in recent months it has started cutting out all the time. The service works well on my nokia e63 phone using 3g, but with wireless broadband on the computer, it stalls, stops and starts.

I notice you were discussing net speeds, so I did a check on mine (thanks to your very useful link - thanks) :

Download speed 13.82 Mb/s

Upload Speed 0.77 Mb/s

A friend of mine said 'it must be bandwidth' but I dont know how to adjust this.:eyebrows:

If you have any ideas please get in touch,

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Alex_UK
21-12-2011, 23:59
Hi Dan. I think your problem is almost certainly related to the wireless connection, and not to the broadband speed - though it could be the broadband "dropping out" which is causing it.

You suggest it has started cutting out - did this coincide with any other changes? You mention wireless headphones - have you always had those, or are they a recent addition? Have you recently bought a new wireless telephone or something else that operates wirelessly - even doorbells now run on wireless!

The Spotify "client" has recently been updated - so if you haven't done it for a while - log out and log in again, which should force an update if you don't already have it.

Have you tried rebooting both the imac and broadband router? Also, I'd suggest trying a wired connection to the router with an ethernet cable to see if that is affected - would either prove or disprove if it is the wireless at fault.

I'm going to struggle to help much more as macs are not my area - but we do have some great mac guys on here, who will I'm sure be able to pick up where I can't. :)

Ant
22-12-2011, 00:16
I thought I'd try out the 'free' 7 day Spotify Premium which enables 320k playback, I followed the trial links, added the relevant paypal account details and was assured no monies would be taken, monies would only be taken if I continued to use the service after the trial period of 7 days without cancellation.

However, immediately after accepting the free trial T&C's, I received an email from paypal/spotify finance thanking me for the payment of £9.99 for a months subscription to 'Premium'

How the feck is that free? It completely goes against the T&C's (https://www.spotify.com/uk/legal/free-trial-terms-and-conditions/)

I've contacted spotify with no prevail thus far, I very much doubt I'll get any answer at all - Kind of "we've got your money now eff off" kinda malarkey.

Bloody bollocks.

John
22-12-2011, 07:52
That is a bit shit but sometimes on this type of trail they take the money out its up to you to cancel it before the 10 days you should get it refunded if you do
If not take up a paypal dispute

icehockeyboy
22-12-2011, 13:25
HORRENDOUS problems this time last year with Spotify Premium, hope it doesn't happen this year!:(

Ant
23-12-2011, 14:34
I thought I'd try out the 'free' 7 day Spotify Premium which enables 320k playback, I followed the trial links, added the relevant paypal account details and was assured no monies would be taken, monies would only be taken if I continued to use the service after the trial period of 7 days without cancellation.

However, immediately after accepting the free trial T&C's, I received an email from paypal/spotify finance thanking me for the payment of £9.99 for a months subscription to 'Premium'

How the feck is that free? It completely goes against the T&C's (https://www.spotify.com/uk/legal/free-trial-terms-and-conditions/)

I've contacted spotify with no prevail thus far, I very much doubt I'll get any answer at all - Kind of "we've got your money now eff off" kinda malarkey.

Bloody bollocks.

I'll eat my hat - I received an apologetic email this am followed by a full refund for the error, I must say the support is quite efficient.

I'm chuffed :)