PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a coax cable (£50 max)...

Yoga
22-06-2011, 21:28
I have the Effem recommended white Belkin Pure AV cables (RCA), could I just use one of those? I'm asking as people have mentioned using two coax Pure AV cables for RCA.

If not, which coax cable is pretty uber? :scratch:

Budget: £50!

Any help would be appreciated :¬)

aquapiranha
22-06-2011, 21:30
I couldn't tell you about the RCA stuff, but I have been using Belkin pureAV speaker cable for years in various set ups. It was cheap (£25 for 50M) amnd is good quality solid core cable. I am sure the rest of their stuff will pass muster too.

Yoga
22-06-2011, 22:19
Yes indeed.

Found this, thread essentially closed :)

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_3&products_id=183

I'll try the single RCA cables and see what happens.

Stratmangler
22-06-2011, 22:26
These are excellent http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/50228/Belkin-Digital-Coaxial-Audio-Cable-3-6m and are only 20p.

Your P&P will be a much, much larger sum ;)

Yoga
22-06-2011, 22:45
Thanks Chris.

I'm pretty sure these are exactly the same as the Belkin RCA cables, just sold as a single unit.

Can anyone confirm? :)

Stratmangler
22-06-2011, 22:53
The dialectric is dark blue, and it says double screened on the cable.
I bought mine at 5 times the price, although it was a good few months ago :doh:

Yoga
22-06-2011, 23:02
The dialectric is dark blue, and it says double screened on the cable.
I bought mine at 5 times the price, although it was a good few months ago :doh:

Thanks for the info, although I have no idea what dark blue dialectric implies :¬)

Stratmangler
22-06-2011, 23:05
Dialectric = insulator.
In this case it's referring to the outer sheath.

Tim
22-06-2011, 23:10
I was very pleased with Mark Grants coax, tried it under his 30 day money back guarantee ...... that was 4 months ago and it's still here :)

Yoga
22-06-2011, 23:22
Dialectric = insulator.
In this case it's referring to the outer sheath.

I wondered if the blue colour offered certain qualities or attributes (i.e. a colour labelling system). I might need some sleep it seems :D

I was very pleased with Mark Grants coax, tried it under his 30 day money back guarantee ...... that was 4 months ago and it's still here :)

G1000HD or the cheaper one? :)

Stratmangler
22-06-2011, 23:23
I wondered if the blue colour offered certain qualities or attributes (i.e. a colour labelling system). I might need some sleep it seems :D

G1000HD or the cheaper one? :)

Why not both ?

Yoga
22-06-2011, 23:34
Why not both ?

Just gone through a spat of returning things and it's a bit of a chore :¬)

wee tee cee
23-06-2011, 18:16
The belkin quad shielded co-ax,the one with the yellow insert is pretty good for about a fiver.For £20 I have had great results from a Techline.Had a previous techline that cost about £13 and prefered it to a basic mark grant and even one of his glass optical jobs.My system/room/ears.....those more knowledgeble members rate the supra co-ax.All giving change from fifty smackeroonies....

Yoga
23-06-2011, 19:56
The belkin quad shielded co-ax,the one with the yellow insert is pretty good for about a fiver.For £20 I have had great results from a Techline.Had a previous techline that cost about £13 and prefered it to a basic mark grant and even one of his glass optical jobs.My system/room/ears.....those more knowledgeble members rate the supra co-ax.All giving change from fifty smackeroonies....

Thank you Tony.

Marco
23-06-2011, 20:12
Hi Ross,

Examine the system in my signature, and note the digital coax cable I'm using.... I can assure you that (although mine is fitted with 'fancy' plugs) the Supra isn't there because £45 is the most I'll spend on a digital cable ;)

The Supra, in my experience, outperforms other digital cables at many, many times its price - yes, *that* good. So buy with confidence!

Marco.

Yoga
23-06-2011, 20:21
Hi Ross,

Examine the system in my signature, and note the digital coax cable I'm using.... I can assure you that (although mine is fitted with 'fancy' plugs) the Supra isn't there because £45 is the most I'll spend on a digital cable ;)

The Supra, in my experience, outperforms other digital cables at many, many times its price - yes, *that* good. So buy with confidence!

Marco.

Thanks Marco.

This?

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/audio-cables/digital-coaxial-cables/supra-trico-digital-co-axial-cable-rca-0-75-metre/prod_416.html

MCRU
23-06-2011, 20:25
Supra is the one to go for if your don't go for Mark's of course, the Trico.

Marco
23-06-2011, 20:42
Thanks Marco.

This?

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/audio-cables/digital-coaxial-cables/supra-trico-digital-co-axial-cable-rca-0-75-metre/prod_416.html

Yup, that's the one! Perhaps David can match the price? I believe he sells them, too ;)

Marco.

MCRU
23-06-2011, 21:27
Of course i will. Send me a pm

ccaks
23-06-2011, 21:59
David, can you do the Trico (1m) with WBT Ag plugs?

Please let me know, I'll be in London on the 7th of July for a few days and would like to bring it home.

Many thanks and regards,
Claudia

MCRU
24-06-2011, 07:16

Please let me know, I'll be in London on the 7th of July for a few days and would like to bring it home.

Many thanks and regards,
Claudia

Not a problem I will pm you you details shortly

Peter Stockwell
24-06-2011, 13:32

I know it's all in the making, but one can hear the difference on a digital cable between the Ag and the Cu plugs ?

Marco
24-06-2011, 13:36
Trust me, yes! And Mark Grant will confirm, as he was at my place when we did the A/B/A comparison ;)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
24-06-2011, 13:48
Oh shit, I've deliberately dumbed down my cables. Now it looks like I'll have to get smart again, maybe. If I can hear the diff.

Currently using a Van Damme XKE with a BNC connector to a REAN plug, can't get a lot cheaper (ok, yes 0.20p, forgot about those). With a hand built artisanal product on it's way.

I have many cables on the way, just for craigh, to see or rather hear some difference.

WAD62
24-06-2011, 14:07
I have the Effem recommended white Belkin Pure AV cables (RCA), could I just use one of those? I'm asking as people have mentioned using two coax Pure AV cables for RCA.

If not, which coax cable is pretty uber? :scratch:

Budget: £50!

Any help would be appreciated :¬)

I inadvertently bought the 1m Belkin PureAV white coax thinking it was a pair of analogue RCAs...:doh:

I tried it as a digital connect and was so please I bought another for my other DAC setup.

So progress via incompetence :lol:

I got mine from ebay for about £8 plus p&p, although unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a current listing...

wee tee cee
25-06-2011, 16:10
The trico/wtb combo looks very tempting on mark grants site,just need to work on the missus to justify another expensive bit of wire.Recent amazon purchases have been commented upon with veiled threats of bags and shoes revenge purchases......

Peter Stockwell
27-06-2011, 13:32
just need to work on the missus to justify another expensive bit of wire.

Buy her some nice jewellery (Diamonds, Rubies, that kind of stuff). she'll think you're spending all your spare cash on her, then you'll be able to sneak an inexpensive cable under the radar.

OTOH, she might be the type to wonder what you've been up to, which could cause even bigger problems ;)

Rare Bird
27-06-2011, 16:13
Marco sent me a Belden 1694A/Cannare RCAP Coax lead a bit back, since connecting it up between my CD player & DAC i've never been compelled to change it, if i were to be honest, i have trouble differentiating between digital cables, unlike Analogue cables.. anyway sounds great... I think Mark grant does one pretty much the same..

jantheman
27-06-2011, 16:35
Buy her some nice jewellery (Diamonds, Rubies, that kind of stuff). she'll think you're spending all your spare cash on her, then you'll be able to sneak an inexpensive cable under the radar.

OTOH, she might be the type to wonder what you've been up to, which could cause even bigger problems ;)

Fraught with danger...be careful if you value your own jewellry....:lol:

Marks are good cables..buy with confidence.

icehockeyboy
27-06-2011, 16:55
Haven't had time to read all the posts, but can I just say I, along with many other people cannot distinguish any difference between a genuine coax cable, or a standard rca to rca when used for supposed coax duties. :)

Yoga
27-06-2011, 18:57
Haven't had time to read all the posts, but can I just say I, along with many other people cannot distinguish any difference between a genuine coax cable, or a standard rca to rca when used for supposed coax duties. :)

I have some RCA to RCA from Mark already. Glad to hear it works :)

Anyone here with experienced ears able to test on their system?

Gazjam
27-06-2011, 19:58
The trico/wtb combo looks very tempting on mark grants site,just need to work on the missus to justify another expensive bit of wire.Recent amazon purchases have been commented upon with veiled threats of bags and shoes revenge purchases......

Tony,
I should have the Trico tommorow or Wed...could bring it over when I humph the Caiman over?
Its not the WBT plugged one mind you, but should still sound great.

worthingpagan
27-06-2011, 21:27
I inadvertently bought the 1m Belkin PureAV white coax thinking it was a pair of analogue RCAs...:doh:

I tried it as a digital connect and was so please I bought another for my other DAC setup.

So progress via incompetence :lol:

I got mine from ebay for about £8 plus p&p, although unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a current listing...

I have a spare pair of the white Belkin RCA i/c's if any one wants them? They cost around £12 including postage from some guy on ebay, but i've got too many now :rolleyes:

wee tee cee
27-06-2011, 23:17
Tony,
I should have the Trico tommorow or Wed...could bring it over when I humph the Caiman over?
Its not the WBT plugged one mind you, but should still sound great.

Spot on,my dreaded sibilance is back might be cured by some swedish lovelieness.....
Gies a bell and let us know when it suits you to come over.

wee tee cee
04-08-2011, 15:01
Gary very kindly brought over the supra/wtb cable and we had a listen to it in my set up.....alas mark grant just lightened my wallet to the tune of £120.It really was excellent,completely neutral to my ears.
Look forward to burning it in and hearing it when Im a bit more sober.....

well,maybe not.....

MCRU
04-08-2011, 15:48
Gary very kindly brought over the supra/wtb cable and we had a listen to it in my set up.....alas mark grant just lightened my wallet to the tune of £120.It really was excellent,completely neutral to my ears.

well,maybe not.....

That expensive....:lol:

I have one myself, excellent.

Gazjam
04-08-2011, 17:46

well,maybe not.....

good choice mate! :cool:
Gonna get those regulators in my whistling dac sorted asap.

Canetoad
05-08-2011, 07:05
Gaz,

I've just done the full monty on my Caiman using Dexa regs and it is sounding very nice. I had Muratas to go into it but was worried that the Gator board may cause noise problems. Dead quiet with the Dexas. Go for it! :eyebrows:

Alan
05-08-2011, 09:56
I tried one of Richard's NVA supersoundpipes as a digital I/C and it was thoroughly superb, really excellent. Also it's sale/return if you don't have one laying around. It is actually the analogue cable, no difference on the digi model at all, except they're sold individually.

Gazjam
05-08-2011, 10:13
Gaz,

I've just done the full monty on my Caiman using Dexa regs and it is sounding very nice. I had Muratas to go into it but was worried that the Gator board may cause noise problems. Dead quiet with the Dexas. Go for it! :eyebrows:

you betcha.
Dexa's or the Paul Hynes ones...but he says theres quite a voltage drop with his regs and I'd need an 18v psu to get them singing properly.

tempting to go for his own SR3 supply, get the regs done by him and be done with it..but what do I do with my existing linear supply?
Also..its the thick end of £400 all in, which is a bit salty at the moment.

I took the Gator out and fitted film caps and the whistling was gone, but that Gator magic vanished too.

The Dexa's it is then.

Gazjam
05-08-2011, 10:15
I tried one of Richard's NVA supersoundpipes as a digital I/C and it was thoroughly superb, really excellent. Also it's sale/return if you don't have one laying around. It is actually the analogue cable, no difference on the digi model at all, except they're sold individually.

Its a cracking cable, I used one myself.
"best of the rest" before the Supra Trico/WBT Silvers in my opinion.

Canetoad
05-08-2011, 15:38
Gaz, Partsconnexion may still have them on 20% discount. Worth having a look. Cost me US$73 delivered for both. That works out at about £44, which is about £22 each. Considering S-Powers cost about £39 I thought they were a bit of a bargain!

I'm getting a bigger soundstage, tighter bass and less tizzy (is that a word? :lol:) treble and, here's the best bit, a slightly warmer more analogue sound to my ears. I'm thoroughly pleased with them.:)

wee tee cee
05-08-2011, 16:54
Got the trico/wbt today,mark grant turned it round in 48hrs.Its singing from cold.Gary described it as a component upgrade....I must admit it really is worth the money.
£120 is a chunk of change in anyone's terms for a digital interconnect but at the end of the day If your amplifying a distorted signal it doesn't matter what you do down stream.
Worth the money....Hell yes.Get a listen if you can.

Marco
05-08-2011, 17:48
Glad you guys have had great success with the Trico, fitted with WBTs... It shows that I'm not going deaf yet! ;)

And yes, *THE* most important cable, in any system using a DAC, is the digital interconnect from source to DAC: so, skimp-ye-not here, folks!!!

Marco.

Gazjam
06-08-2011, 09:12
Gaz, Partsconnexion may still have them on 20% discount. Worth having a look. Cost me US$73 delivered for both. That works out at about £44, which is about £22 each. Considering S-Powers cost about £39 I thought they were a bit of a bargain!

I'm getting a bigger soundstage, tighter bass and less tizzy (is that a word? :lol:) treble and, here's the best bit, a slightly warmer more analogue sound to my ears. I'm thoroughly pleased with them.:)

Cheers Bernie...

would you know off the cuff what he part Numbers were for them both?
Just so i order the right regs! :scratch: :)

Canetoad
06-08-2011, 10:47
+12 Volt - DEXA-70911
+5 Volt - DEXA-70908

Gazjam
08-08-2011, 09:26
+12 Volt - DEXA-70911
+5 Volt - DEXA-70908

churz :cool:

Yomanze
08-08-2011, 13:19
The vast majority of CD players & DACs use RCA outputs / inputs, which make it physically impossible to achieve a 75Ohm connection, which will inevitably lead to signal reflections & potential errors. For this reason I'm particularly averse to paying for expensive RCA cables when for £30 or so I could get quality 75Ohm BNC sockets, BNC plugs and 75Ohm digital cable.

As far as cable recommendations I'd go with Belden 1695A: http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/digital-audio/index.htm