PDA

View Full Version : Headshell mass

prestonchipfryer
22-06-2011, 11:04
Recently tried my 103r with an extra 3 gram weight in my SME V and it was a definite improvement. Now, has anyone tried extra mass while using a Lyra Dorian in the V? The reason I ask is that the Lyra is now mounted on the arm and if extra mass helps all well and good. Don't really want to mess around taking the Lyra off if it is not an improvement. Many thanks.

hifi_dave
22-06-2011, 11:14
No need to remove anything, just add a blob of Plasticene or Blu-Tak to the headshell and hear the result.

Marco
22-06-2011, 11:17
Hi John,

The only way to find out for sure is to listen, but experience suggests that the Lyra is unlikely to thank you for the extra mass, as it's not a low-compliance design.

My suspicion is that, with the extra mass, it will sound somewhat 'leaden' and un-involving, and fitted straight onto the SME, sans weight, it will sound 'freer' and more expressive.

But you must suck it and see, to be sure :)

Marco.

Mika K
22-06-2011, 11:36
I have no personal experience of Lyra carts in SME V but have heard some people using SME small extra weight with those also. If interested can ask a friend that has done this if I remember correctly.

Atleast in my experience Tranfiguration carts work better with the extra weight with SME V even by the specs this is not so clear. I suggest you try it yourself - start with Blue-tak and if results seem promising then go for proper weight..

prestonchipfryer
22-06-2011, 18:25
Thanks, will give blue tack a try. :)