PDA

View Full Version : Oh puck

camtwister
21-06-2011, 20:46
I find that it can be quite a bother to get the puck of my Naim CD player to sit true. Most of my attempts to locate it on top of the spindle result in it spinning eccentrically. Surely this causes imbalance and thus potential issues? Anyone else burdened by this?

Rare Bird
21-06-2011, 22:13
Have you tried a new puck. Puck 3?

DSJR
22-06-2011, 06:37
Have you seen what the magnetic pucks in almost every other CD transport out there do once they're engaged? Methinks Naim created a rod for their collective backs when they started this silly puck idea, but it makes for conversation I suppose.

camtwister
22-06-2011, 09:25
I'm using clamp 3, yes, in a CD 3.5.

I'm not losing sleep over this because
i) I use my turntables significantly more and
ii) I can't hear any differences no matter where the puck lands.

I just wondered whether I should be losing sleep over it. Ho ho. :)

camtwister
23-06-2011, 21:28
DSJR said:

but it makes for conversation I suppose

It sure does over on Naim forums, eh? One big fat circular argument.

I think it's time to drop some plastic on the Dansette...

colinB
23-06-2011, 21:42
The Rough trade super store of brick lane had a row of Naim cd players for demo with the little pucks . They didnt last long.

camtwister
23-06-2011, 21:48
Don't tell me...
There were gangs of shady looking audiophile types hanging around the players, surreptitiously pocketing pucks, then scarpering?

The Grand Wazoo
23-06-2011, 22:53
No, the last few remaining Beastie Boy fans eventually moved on from VW badges, they put the Naim puck on chains & hung 'em round their necks. "Yo! Get the puck outta here"

I had a CDI for many years and the pucks with the little bits of rubber tube stuck below the rim were an absolute bag o' shite.

colinB
23-06-2011, 23:08
Last time i went there the naims were "out of order". They have some nice big PMC speakers there though. I wouldnt mind pilfering them if i could get away with it.