PDA

View Full Version : F/S Townshend Glastonbury speakers £400

Elvis's last movement
21-06-2011, 16:34
Selling a pair of Townshend Glastonbury speakers. These are a Max Townshend wonder-speaker from the early 90s, effectively a single driver (up to 7khz) with a ribbon tweeter/supertweeter 'tickler' to 30hz.

Very unusual design with aluminium cabinet filled with plaster and carpet felt to be completely inert. This means bass down to 27hz and flat response right up through. The current Townshend Glastonbury equivalent costs £19k. They weight over 30kg each - very heavy.

Bought recently from this site out of curiosity and released for sale again, for the £400 I paid for them. These can go for up to £1500 in perfect nick but these have cosmetic issues, some bubbling and the odd scrape on this finish - being metal, a respray or repaint in black hammerite (or any other colour you like!) is dead easy, much easier to get right than wood. Personally I was happy to let them be.

Collection only, needless to say, from Newbury in Berkshire. My reason for selling is simply that I would like to try other speakers and I need to make room for them.

Reid Malenfant
21-06-2011, 18:10
Damn, like i said when the previous owner was selling them - if only i had a car :doh:

Effem
22-06-2011, 09:54
Damn, like i said when the previous owner was selling them - if only i had a car :doh:

Buy some bigger saddle bags for your bike then :lol:

Elvis's last movement
22-06-2011, 10:55

As a matter of interest where are you?

hornucopia
22-06-2011, 11:10
I've got a couple of carpet Camel bags......

Can recommend the speakers. I had some for 10+ years in my living room system. as described. Bass good, no distortion. Solid case/solid sound.
Am resisting going back!

Reid Malenfant
22-06-2011, 16:31
As a matter of interest where are you?
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire :rolleyes:

:lolsign: @ saddlebags

Elvis's last movement
23-06-2011, 18:15
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire :rolleyes:

:lolsign: @ saddlebags

Well, if you really wanted them and were prepared to pay £30 for petrol then I would deliver them to you for the bargain prie of £400 ....I am keen to have my space back, so I can buy something else!!!!

Reid Malenfant
23-06-2011, 18:22
You bring them up here & i'll put cash in your hands :) £30 doesn't sound like enough to me petrol or diesel wise :eyebrows: how does £50 for juice sound?

Elvis's last movement
24-06-2011, 08:32
You bring them up here & i'll put cash in your hands :) £30 doesn't sound like enough to me petrol or diesel wise :eyebrows: how does £50 for juice sound?

£50 sounds great!!! I guess you can PM your address and contact details. In some ways I will be sad to see these go but in other ways its an opportunity to bring some speakers in to try.

Lance

nat8808
24-06-2011, 18:45
Out of interest, do you know what the mid/bass driver is that they use? Is it a Jordan JX125?

Just bought some Jordan Watts speakers myself so am learning about their drivers and who else used them (Electrofluidics did too I think).

hornucopia
24-06-2011, 21:04
Out of interest, do you know what the mid/bass driver is that they use? Is it a Jordan JX125?

Just bought some Jordan Watts speakers myself so am learning about their drivers and who else used them (Electrofluidics did too I think).

Yes, though 'adapted' I believe.
Ported with tapered inner + outer to extend bass. Great sound.

Mr Reed is getting a bargain! Could even spray them to match his.......?

montesquieu
24-06-2011, 22:52
As the previous owner, I can attest these really are great speakers. Need a few watts up-em but you then get rewarded by some of the best balanced top to bottom sound you'll hear.

Elvis's last movement
28-06-2011, 18:04
Sold to Mark......

Reid Malenfant
28-06-2011, 18:12
Need a few watts up-em but you then get rewarded by some of the best balanced top to bottom sound you'll hear.
Krell KSA250 will show them who's boss :eyebrows:

Sold to Mark......
Cheers Lance, nice meeting you chap!

See you at Scalford next year ;)

Alex_UK
28-06-2011, 18:22
Nice one Mark. I was very tempted by these last time (before I got my Spendors). I would have had to spray them lilac, of course! :lol: Let us know what you think of them. :)

Reid Malenfant
28-06-2011, 18:36
They are huge, that's a start :lol: Seriously though i kid you not, they are friggin enormous considering the 7" bass driver! 90cm tall, 28cm wide & 45cm front to back :eek: 40Kg+ each as well... I guess they are kind of well made.

Actually they'll be perfect on this pair of granite blocks i bought a while back on here as those are 30cm x 45cm :cool:

Of course i'll let you know what i think once i have them set up with the KSA250, i know these things need some encouragement to give their best :eyebrows:

hornucopia
28-06-2011, 19:27
THAT'S not huge! My Leak 3090s, maybe. Won't even START on Klipschorns!

You'll love the sound. Did they not come with the big (deadly looking!) spikes?
I never thought they needed (spikes) as they are so heavy.

Nearest thing to full range speakers really.

Reid Malenfant
28-06-2011, 19:42
No spikes, but i have loads anyway. I took a brief look when taking them out of the back end of a big car & they look like M8, no problem :)

:lol: Ok so the Leaks are big, but they have a 15" bass driver at the end of the day, not a 7" like these :eyebrows:

Elvis's last movement
29-06-2011, 09:04
No spikes, but i have loads anyway. I took a brief look when taking them out of the back end of a big car & they look like M8, no problem :)

:lol: Ok so the Leaks are big, but they have a 15" bass driver at the end of the day, not a 7" like these :eyebrows:

The spikes are in a bag on the dashboard of my car....I will post them to you. I got distracted by your set up...

hornucopia
29-06-2011, 09:28
"I got distracted by your set up..."

That's enough of your Friday night chat-up lines!

:lol:

Reid Malenfant
29-06-2011, 16:43
The spikes are in a bag on the dashboard of my car....I will post them to you. I got distracted by your set up...
Cheers Lance, much appreciated :) I can't say i noticed you being distracted :lol:

"I got distracted by your set up..."

That's enough of your Friday night chat-up lines!

:lol:
:lolsign: