PDA

View Full Version : Rega Brio R at Radlett Audio

hifi_dave
21-06-2011, 16:17
The new Rega Brio R is in stock at Radlett Audio.

The eagerly awaited Rega Brio R is now on demonstration and in stock. It's a 'half size' amp to match the Rega DAC, available in silver or black. A good, solid 55 WPC with an excellent MM phono stage, at £498. Could be all the amp you will ever need.

radlettaudio@hotmail.co.uk

www.radlettaudio.co.uk

LittleTone
06-09-2011, 13:07
Hi Dave,

Quite fancy one of these to replace my Quantum 102/207 amps. Reckon it's a worthwhile exercise ?
Any deals ?

Regards
Tony

Welder
06-09-2011, 17:19
Tony.

If you decide to get rid of your Quantum stuff, give me a shout please. :)

DSJR
06-09-2011, 19:37
Dave may be away on much needed hols right now, but should be back towards end of September :)

The Brio R is a stunning little amp, very transparent to the source and with loads of clean life and bounce. Good remote too ;) The only nits I could pick with it were the bolts on top, which I remember being domed, rather than countersunk and the volume knob, which isn't to my taste. Apart from that, it's nigh on perfect for the money and you're going to have to spend loads more to get anything better - and I don't mean Roksan, Naim or Cyrus either....... :lol:

Alex_UK
06-09-2011, 19:54
Agree with Dave mostly - the volume control didn't offend me, though! :lol: I will be sorting myself out with one soon - the emotion in Jeff Buckley's voice on Hallelujah sent shivers down my spine through the Harbeth SHL5's - I personally preferred it over the other more expensive amps we tried on the same day - a real giant killer. :)

aBe
07-09-2011, 03:03
Agree with Dave mostly - the volume control didn't offend me, though! :lol: I will be sorting myself out with one soon - the emotion in Jeff Buckley's voice on Hallelujah sent shivers down my spine through the Harbeth SHL5's - I personally preferred it over the other more expensive amps we tried on the same day - a real giant killer. :)

Alex, how would you rate the Brio R against your Creek Evo?

Alex_UK
07-09-2011, 08:07
Alex, how would you rate the Brio R against your Creek Evo?

Put it this way, I'm open to offers on the Creek! The Creek was flatter and less dynamic in comparison, although to be fair, we only compared one track back to back. I've been very happy with the Evo for the last couple of years, though - and it does a lot of things well - but I do think the new Brio R will become a true classic!

DSJR
07-09-2011, 09:06
Don't mean to jump on Alex's toes here, but Dave W and I heard what Alex described within a few seconds and I don't think an extended listen would tell us any different.

I have to say though, that the Creek is well built, "feels" good and a good bodger (original meaning) and tweaker may be able to tune the circuit to open it up a bit. Brash "WTF 5 Star" speakers would also benefit from its calmness. Don't get me wrong, the £2K Sugden integrated didn't sound any better to me - and that was after a good while to warm up with the case very hot to the touch :) It's all a matter of degree(s) - s'cuse the dreadful pun :ner: :)

LittleTone
07-09-2011, 14:04
Hi Guys,

At the price then; sounds like a no-brainer.
I might just take a trip to Bath tomorrow and grab a listen.
Then to replace the Mission 753 Freedoms !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

LittleTone
08-09-2011, 17:21
Now a well chuffed owner of a Rega Brio R.
The guy in the shop said it would take about 80 hrs to burn in; but it did sound rather nice, straight outta the box.
Speaker recommendation guys.

Tony

Tim
08-09-2011, 17:28
What's your budget Tony?

DSJR
08-09-2011, 21:54
Now a well chuffed owner of a Rega Brio R.
The guy in the shop said it would take about 80 hrs to burn in; but it did sound rather nice, straight outta the box.

Tony

Rega's own? A bit raw perhaps, but their heart is definitely in the right place and I could live with 'em now I think.

Otherwise, as above - what's the budget guv'nor?

LittleTone
09-09-2011, 09:33
Something 2nd Hand ideally around £300; maybe £500 at a real push.
Narrowish floorstanders preferably; no bigger than my 753 Missions and also has to look nice to keep the wife happy. Constantly looking on e-bay.
Not an easy task.

Tony

HighFidelityGuy
09-09-2011, 12:41
There are some nice Monitor Audio's available in the classifieds for £350: LINK (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13107)

DSJR
09-09-2011, 13:06
I'm still a fan of vintage KEF's (Concerto's, R104ab's etc) and some Celestion and B&W's as well. If yiu can re-foam them, or capable of doing it yourself, some of the vintage AR's are great fun, although prices of the better mid 1970's ones may be creeping up now.

LittleTone
10-09-2011, 11:17
Hi Guys

Thanks for your input.

If I do decide to buy new; I'll definately be listening to the Rega RS3.
Anyone have an opinion on them

Tony

LittleTone
13-09-2011, 10:59
Hi Guys
Last post in this section as I'm feeling a bit guilty about hi-jacking Dave's thread.
I will take the opportunity to endorse the Rega Brio R as an extremely satisfying amp and If anyone's in the market for this sort of thing; make sure you give it a listen.

As far as speakers go I've ended up with a pair of Royd Doublets; bought em off e-bay and am very pleased with them.

Regards
Tony

Alex_UK
13-09-2011, 15:09
Thanks Tony - glad the amp is "doing the business" - if hifi_dave would like, I can move all of the off-topic posts to a separate thread - however he might be quite happy with the endorsements, so I'll let him decide. :)

Alex_UK
26-10-2011, 21:53
Well, I collected the Brio R from hifi_dave yesterday (thanks again Dave for sorting) and am now spinning my first few tunes through it in my own system and in my own room. Too early to say too much on the sound - depending on whether you believe in burn in or getting used to a new sound, it will take some time either way to form a proper conclusion - but let's just say I'm not regretting it so far!

Might be worth just mentioning though that it has been getting universal praise in reviews as far as I can see, and of course you will be supporting British industry if you buy one! There's a great review and some good pictures in ToneAudio. (http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/rega-brio-r-worlds-first-review/)

Here's a photo I've nicked, for people who might be interested - shown with the matching DAC, and I've deliberately found one that includes the Remote, which for a budget amp is very classy looking and solid: (Shiny black like the fronts on the boxes themselves.)

http://www.evmag.fr/images/Audio193-Lyon-2011-Rega-Brio2.png

The "Rega" logo lights up to indicate "power" (very cool, imo) and as you can see, is half-sized (yet still weighs a ton - well, 20lbs!) The only downsides is there is no headphone socket, so if you need to use cans then a separate headphone amp will be needed, and you may find that if you need to use all 5 inputs then it might get a bit tight if there are any "exotic" cables in your ensemble, but really that is nit-picking... Oh, and not a domed nut in site, DSJR! :ner: ;)

More to follow on the sound after some extended listening - oh what a chore!

The Grand Wazoo
26-10-2011, 22:12
Nice Alex - so now you have the amp you wanted, what's next? Does the Garrard finally get the treatment now?

Alex_UK
26-10-2011, 22:18
Nice Alex - so now you have the amp you wanted, what's next? Does the Garrard finally get the treatment now?

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure! Since I "serviced" it and replaced the cartridge the 401 is miles and miles better than it was, though a re-plinth is still on the cards (and I know you're not a fan of the SME 3009 - so possibly an arm) - but I think the best money I could spend on my vinyl is an RCM in all honesty... But I am certainly happy with the amp and speakers at the moment, and streaming for digital, so I guess any more investment will go into vinyl. Or wine. ;)

The Grand Wazoo
26-10-2011, 22:47
All good options - especially the vinyl & the wine!

.........and the RCM.........and the plinth...........

DSJR
27-10-2011, 07:55
And then we'll service and properly site Alex's techie and it'll blow the Garrard away ;) :ner:

Only kidding, but I couldn't help it :lolsign:

That SME is PERFECT for the cartridge it's carrying and the Sumiko headshell answers most of the other concerns :)

Tim
27-10-2011, 20:22
Nice one Alex, I have still to hear the Brio R, never seem to get round to it :scratch: I think it would be my 1st choice if anything went wrong with my Albarry, but it's still going great guns at the mo - a remote would be handy, but to be honest it's does me good to get up off my butt every now an then ;)

Let us know how you progress - my Rega DAC needed well over 100 hours to settle in as you know and it will be interesting to see if the amp fairs the same?

:cool:

Alex_UK
27-10-2011, 20:49
Would be interesting to compare the Rega and the Albarry, I think Tim. I only really need the remote to be able to instantly mute the sound - if the phone rings when I'm working or Avatar stirs or something, but handy to be able to fine tune the volume too.

I've only put about 4 hours on it - will do a couple more tonight but at this rate it will take me about a month to do 100! ;) I'm never sure if it is the kit settling in, or my ears/brain getting used to it - but that is of course a whole different discussion!

Alex_UK
27-10-2011, 20:54
By the way hifi_dave - as I mentioned before, if you'd prefer me to move the stuff that has developed since your initial post to a new thread then please let me know and I'll happily sort. :)

hifi_dave
27-10-2011, 21:47
No, thank you, keep it as it is. I'm enjoying the 'shilling'..:eyebrows:

How about a pic or two alongside your 401 ?

Alex_UK
27-10-2011, 21:58
No, thank you, keep it as it is. I'm enjoying the 'shilling'..:eyebrows:

:lolsign:

Better not mention that you paid me to take it off your hands, then? :D

How about a pic or two alongside your 401 ?

Okey, dokey - will have to wait until I can do it in the daylight though as I suspect the flash will bounce right back off the gorgeous, sumptuous piano black finish of the classically designed ergonomic beauty that is the front panel of the Brio R. (You don't think I'm overdoing it, do you? :eyebrows:) :lol:

hifi_dave
27-10-2011, 22:05
You're doing a great job.

Cheque's in the post..:trust:

Tim
27-10-2011, 22:22
If your handing them out free David, I wouldn't mind one :lolsign:

(well it's worth a try......;))

hifi_dave
28-10-2011, 16:49
FOC, like some of the Chinese products - free but the postage/packing is 450 quid..:eyebrows:

DSJR
28-10-2011, 18:01
You're doing a great job.

Cheque's in the post..:trust:

I could really do with my "introduction" fee being paid asap too, since times is hard and I'm a poor out of work TA, all unloved and rejected by my old employers :violin:

Seriously chaps, just in case you think that summat really is going on here, I can assure you that it isn't, and joking aside, I/we resent this inference being made elsewhere :mental:

Darren
28-10-2011, 18:24
Stop stressing. Many of us appreciate your experience and recommendations.
I've come to love a good hard shill.....
Suits you sir!

Tim
05-12-2011, 22:07
Well my Brio R should be here tomorrow thanks to hifi_dave.

Can't wait..... :)

Alex_UK
05-12-2011, 22:15
Nice one Tim - you really won't regret it - I'll stick my neck out now and say that this little amp will become a hifi legend in years to come... As Dave said in is first post - "Could be all the amp you will ever need" - it really is that good, an unmitigated bargain, and still built in the UK, too.

Tarzan
05-12-2011, 22:20
Well my Brio R should be here tomorrow thanks to hifi_dave.

Can't wait.....

Trust we can have a few words on the Rega Tim?:)

Tim
05-12-2011, 22:26
Trust we can have a few words on the Rega Tim?:)
It will be my pleasure ;)

Marco
06-12-2011, 09:02
Rega's always been where the best SPPV is in the land of solid-state kit. Enjoy your Brio, Tim. It's a lovely little amp :)

Marco.

Gromit
06-12-2011, 09:36
Hmmm...be interesting to put a Brio R up against my Claymore. I wasn't always a huge fan of Rega's earlier offerings amp-wise (always found them a tad dry and clumsy, but fun nonetheless) so I wonder what's changed in the new'un.

Spence
06-12-2011, 22:11
Does seem a popular little beast this one, mine arrived today.

Two quick questions to those who have already got one if I may.

Does the Brio benefit from being left on all the time ?

If using an external phono stage which input should I use ?

Cheers, :cool:

Alex_UK
06-12-2011, 22:17
Hi Spence - I've not been leaving mine on all the time, just put it on an hour or so before listening if I remember, but I personally haven't noticed much (if any) difference running it from cold - it sounds great whatever! ;)

The one failing of the Brio R is that the Phono stage is not marked as such - input one is the phono stage, so therefore if you are plugging a turntable in directly it should go in Input 1 - if you are using a standalone phonostage then it needs to go in a line-level input - Inputs 2 - 5. Hope this helps.

Alex_UK
06-12-2011, 22:20
I wonder what's changed in the new'un.

I'll leave hifi_dave to answer that one - but I believe it is a completely new design and not an evolution of previous Rega offerings.

Spence
06-12-2011, 22:29
Hope this helps.

It does.

Thanks Alex..

Tim
06-12-2011, 22:35
Mine arrived this morning and after a day in the boot of my car, it was as cold as ice when I got it home. It's been on since around 3pm today but I won't use it till tomorrow, when I can sit down and have a proper listen. I will be leaving it switched on 24/7 for the first few weeks, but after that it will go off between sessions.

It reminds me a little of my Cyrus I and II of the 80's, a half size black box the weight of lead. Very minimal and functional, which I love.... I already know I love the sound it makes.

Thanks again to David Wren at Radlett Audio (http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk/) (hifi_dave) for excellent service - always a pleasure.

hifi_dave
07-12-2011, 14:46
Thanks lads for the unashamed plugging.

The story goes, that Terry Bateman, the designer at Rega, has had the circuit for many years but transistor technology wasn't good enough to satisfy his requirements. Only now have the 'right' parts come along and he has finalised the Brio R and a great job he has done too.

Alex_UK
27-12-2011, 22:03
The story goes, that Terry Bateman, the designer at Rega, has had the circuit for many years but transistor technology wasn't good enough to satisfy his requirements. Only now have the 'right' parts come along and he has finalised the Brio R and a great job he has done too.

Tone Audio (http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_042.pdf) think so - they've just given it their Overall Product of the Year award - "Rega’s diminutive amp gets the overall nod simply because of its high level of quality; the Brio-R goes far beyond clichéd “bang for the buck” performance. It is a serious high-end amplifier, up to task in a system comprised of some of the world’s finest components."

Just thought I'd shill - I mean share - that! ;)

Reid Malenfant
27-12-2011, 22:10
Oh gosh, don't tell Alan Sugar that, no doubt he could spin something out to cover his own stuff :eek: He got made a Lord by selling utter shite to the masses :rolleyes: Amstrad - Alan Michael Sugar Trading :spew:

Don't call him sugar, call him honey :kiss:

:rfl:

Gromit
06-01-2012, 16:13
Must admit, I'm not normally one to be 'drawn in' by products having heaps of praise bestowed upon them, although they do often tweak my 'interest nerve'. The last time I put my money where others' mouths were was when I went out and bought a Cambridge Audio 840A - that backfired in a way which I still bear the scars of. I ended up hating the damn thing. :D

However, doing some fairly widespread trawling of the good ol' www has thrown up a massive amount of positive feedback for the little Brio R, and being a life-long fan of Rega's products (I just admire them for their no-bullsh*t honesty) I'm thinking of putting my head above the parapet and trying to get a listen to an R. Thing is, I don't know of any Rega dealers close by - I'm about 12 miles south of Lincoln.

Anyone know a dealer, or perhaps even a kind owner who'd let me hear one?

Thanks. :)

hifi_dave
06-01-2012, 16:23
Well, the boyfriend of my Daughter who lives with us, travels here every weekend to stay with her. He comes from Boston (Lincs not USA) and thinks nothing of the journey.

You're very welcome here.

Gromit
06-01-2012, 16:35
Well, the boyfriend of my Daughter who lives with us, travels here every weekend to stay with her. He comes from Boston (Lincs not USA) and thinks nothing of the journey.

You're very welcome here.

Thanks Dave - I did the Lincoln to Uxbridge commute twice a week for a year (by motorbike) so know the journey well, I'll have to consult the diary as to when I'm free. :)

hifi_dave
06-01-2012, 16:53
Not a journey I would relish but you're obviously a man of steel.

Gromit
06-01-2012, 22:16
Not a journey I would relish but you're obviously a man of steel.

Hmmmm...been called many things but never a man of steel. :D

In the decent weather it was good fun, but not so great when...well...I did it through the winter of 2009/10. :(