PDA

View Full Version : ipod download...

anthonyTD
09-10-2008, 16:05
hi all,
ipod question, ie, what's the best way to download your own albums onto it, what software to use to convert your own CD,s and music already on your computer to ipod.:scratch:
come on you digi techs...:eyebrows:
anthony...:)

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 07:49
iTunes, there's no other way to be honest. It's free for all platforms, simply download and install it and then import your CDs. Once imported, plug your iPod into the computer, wait for it to show in iTunes and then select the tracks you want on your iPod and slide them across. :)

As for converting the music, you don't have to. iTunes gives you the option of what file format you'd like to import in and the files stay in that format for the iPod. The iPod will happily play lossless formats too.

Oh, if you already have music on your computer, simply slide the files into iTunes and then slide them from there into your iPod.

shane
10-10-2008, 10:27
How do you deal with FLAC files? Do they have to be converted to AAC?

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 10:41
I have a Mac so I've never used FLAC, I used AIFF in the past and now I use CAF. There are programs to switch FLAC to other formats if required, but if Anthony is importing stuff fresh then it shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know the iPod isn't capable of handling FLAC files so they would have to be switched.

Peter Stockwell
10-10-2008, 11:38
Like Rob, I use a mac so don't use Flac.

If importing CDs from scratch set the action upon inserting a CD into the drive to "import and eject". Set the importing options to the compression rate that you desire, if you think it's just for the ipod 160 kbps AAC is way better than 128 kbps, and 192 and 256 are better than 160, but not by the same qualitative step, imo.

There's also an option that I find handy, it's "import missing artwork", I think it's in the advanced pane of the preferences, but without iTunes open I can't remember where it is exactly; The downside is that you have to have an iTunes account.

And another thing that's nice to know is, if you wnat your John Coltrane albums to show up in alphabetic order then in the Sorting tab of the get info pane enter "Coltrane, John".

and off you go.

Beechwoods
10-10-2008, 11:59
I use a Mac and have lots of stuff in FLAC format. Leopard plays FLAC natively now. Try playing it in Quicktime or Preview and it works. I've not tried it in iTunes. I use Cog as my main 'player' for FLAC playback on my Mac

There has just been a new major release of the Rockbox firmware (http://www.rockbox.org) which runs on iPods backs to 1st Gen, plus a host of other hardware (I use it on a Cowon iAudio M5L).

Rockbox is superb, there are loads of skins for it, and it plays all the major formats, compressed and uncompressed including FLAC, Shorten, MP3, Ogg, WAV, AIFF, AAC. Loading my machine with tunes is as simpler as copying files over to my USB connected player.

Check Rockbox out. It's fantastic.

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 13:28
I didn't realise that Cog played FLAC, although I have to say that CAF is an amazing file format, leagues ahead of anything I've heard. The architecture is rather clever to say the least and it shows Apple's willingness to keep them high in the professional and audiophile zones, something that's exceptionally lucrative. I know the Core Audio Architecture on Leopard is getting very trick now, more updates to come soon and next year OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is released which will switch the whole operating system away from depending on processor speed and over to multi-core operations, it'll remain in 64bit but with a potential for 16tb RAM!

Hopefully the Core Audio will allow for 64bit PCM rather than 64bit float, saying that there's little wrong with 64bit float (other than relying slightly on anti-aliasing), and 24bit and 32bit Linear are exceptionally precise word lengths as it is.

Peter Stockwell
10-10-2008, 14:28
Hopefully the Core Audio will allow for 64bit PCM rather than 64bit float, saying that there's little wrong with 64bit float (other than relying slightly on anti-aliasing), and 24bit and 32bit Linear are exceptionally precise word lengths as it is.

Is this engineer speak to say that the output digital stream will automatically adapt to the native sample rate and size of the file being played ?

shane
10-10-2008, 14:43
I have loads of MP3 and FLAC files which I normally play through a Squeezebox, but I just got an old Ipod to use in the car. I don't really want to convert a hundred gigs or so of FLACs, so I guess I have to restrict the Ipod to the MP3s?

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 14:47
Is this engineer speak to say that the output digital stream will automatically adapt to the native sample rate and size of the file being played ?

In a way. Basically a floating point operation has a greater mathematical range than a linear operation (a floating point operation can move its radix point to suit a data stream), however floating-point numbers achieve their increased range at the expense of less precision. Whereas a linear operation is bound to its sequence of amplitude values and quantized accordingly (word length or bitrate), the higher the quantization level the more accurate the reproduction of the original data.

So, whilst an audio file encoded in 64bit float may have a greater ability to vary an 'on the fly' data rate, it takes more processing power to decode and therefore compromises accuracy. The same track encoded in a linear word length (say 32bit) will be more accurate and easier to decode although it's word length is distinctly shorter. However at these word lengths it's almost negligible as 16bit is more than enough for audio reproduction and 16bit Linear PCM is the redbook standard, using greater word lengths simply improves accuracy as the more bits (times quantized) are used the greater the overall quantity of data that can be transmitted. In essence 64bit for two channel audio is being greedy (and it's simply a direct non-aliasing multiplication of 16bit), as a comparator Blu-ray will happily transmit eight channels of lossless audio within 24bit word lengths.

I'll give you an example;

A musician is playing a hi-hat cymbal at 16 times per bar (a 16th), if a sequencer then quantizes that instrument to 8ths (equivalent of 8bit) then every other cymbal sound disappears as it is quantized out. If the quantization is done at 16ths (equivalent of 16bit) then every cymbal sound is heard. However if that quantization rate is doubled to 32nds (equivalent of 32bit) then if any of the cymbal strikes are out of time slightly then the accuracy of the quantization picks the mis-timed strike up and moves it to the nearest 32nd of a measure. Doubling it again would then move it to the nearest 64th of a measure and so on. The higher the bitrate (times quantized), the more accurate to the original data the file becomes.

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 15:00
A direct graphical comparison (figuratively speaking) between data sample rates.

8bit quantization:

http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/q/u/quantization%20error/quantization-001.gif

32bit quantization:

http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/q/u/quantization%20error/quantization-002.gif

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 15:04
Ok, so I've swerved WAY off subject, but it's a protracted reply to a simple question.

Beechwoods
10-10-2008, 15:15
I have loads of MP3 and FLAC files which I normally play through a Squeezebox, but I just got an old Ipod to use in the car. I don't really want to convert a hundred gigs or so of FLACs, so I guess I have to restrict the Ipod to the MP3s?

Rockbox is great with old iPods. You get gapless playback and it does MP3 and FLAC. I got it originally because I had an iPod and didn't want to have to convert my FLACs before I could play them.

shane
10-10-2008, 15:20
Sounds just what I need. Thanks Beechwoods!

alb
10-10-2008, 16:03
Reading through all this makes me realise how far behind i've got.
I'm still trying to get the best from CD, while others are forging ahead with Squeezeboxes and various kinds of computer audio. It's a different world with a different language.

Does anyone fancy having a go at a "Numptys Guide to Computer Audio".
Perhaps make it a Sticky or Wiki.
I suppose the info is all out there in the ether, but I for one can't bear trawling through threads trying to find out about bitrates, Cog, Cac and all the other stuff.
If such a site exists, then point me at it and i'll shut up.:)

Marco
10-10-2008, 16:11
Count me in with Al for the numpty's guide! Some great info on here, chaps :)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
10-10-2008, 17:15
Ok, so I've swerved WAY off subject, but it's a protracted reply to a simple question.

No that's cool. It's at the same time detailed and coicise, even if you say it's protracted. the message comes acroos, thanks!

Chris
10-10-2008, 18:22
I´m lost with all this IT gobbledygook. At present I play my HD apple Lossless files via itunes in my Macbook to my ancient QED Digit and thence to my system.
If there just happens to be a rainy day and someone is bored, I´d love to read a sticky for morons like me on how I might improve the results I am getting. Please don´t try and teach me - I can fish but I still prefer to go to the fishmonger´s when I´m hungry - just tell me what/how to do it in monosyllabic language and I´ll love you to bits. That´s a promise.
:lolsign:
Chris

Mike
10-10-2008, 18:48
Count me in with Al for the numpty's guide!

Me too! :scratch:

Filterlab
10-10-2008, 18:53
LOL! Well it's a mad subject! What can I say, I likes me' digital stuff.

Upshot is, play about until you find something you're happy with, it's handy to have a basic idea of what he jargon means, but then again it's easy to find out if one needs to know something specific. ;)

One day I will write a basic up guide of it all, but it's a massive subject and I only really have experience with high end Mac based audio, but I'll give it a shot when I have a bit more time on my hands. :)

Mike
10-10-2008, 19:05
A brief synopsis of the current 'state of the art' might do for starters Rob! ;)

Marco
10-10-2008, 19:46
I think a 'Rob's special' sticky for this subject (with pictures) is in order! Like he did with the 'Audiophile output on Mac OSX' thread. What do we say, people? :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
10-10-2008, 21:12
All in favour say aye.....AYE!

Mike
10-10-2008, 21:12
aye!

anthonyTD
10-10-2008, 21:14
you lot, :scratch:
what are you like ehh, i only want to know the simplest way to import my music from my laptop onto the ipod, what software should i use etc, come on guys, i know your miles ahead of most of us on here when it comes to digital, but basics for us digi numpties please...:confused::lolsign:

Mike
10-10-2008, 21:22
Eh what.....?

I work in the 'digital domain' most days of the week..... I still know sod all!

:lol:

alb
10-10-2008, 21:30
aye!

Cotlake
10-10-2008, 22:48
Aye also as long as it's numpty founded (especially important for me with my very low ignorance status) and accommodates PC users. Many of us don't use a Mac.

I'd love something as Chris has already suggested.

I´d love to read a sticky for morons like me on how I might improve the results I am getting. Please don´t try and teach me - I can fish but I still prefer to go to the fishmonger´s when I´m hungry - just tell me what/how to do it in monosyllabic language and I´ll love you to bits.

KISS (Keep it simple stupid) and yes, just tell us what to do. Please don't explore what we might like to try or offer alternatives. We can always do that sort of thing later as confidence and experience grows. There are alot of audiophile Luddites out here. Please be empathetic and treat us gently, otherwise for me, I'll remain with my vinyl which might not be a bad thing but it doesn't allow me to develop my understanding of the potentials and doesn't allow me to progress/remain up to date.

Bring it on!

Ali Tait
10-10-2008, 23:19
Wot Greg sez!

Filterlab
11-10-2008, 08:30
Okey dokey, leave it with me. ;)

anthonyTD
11-10-2008, 20:49
still waiting!!!:lol:

Marco
11-10-2008, 21:19
Rob's away for the weekend, mate. I don't think he'll be able to do anything until Monday :)

Marco.

Filterlab
12-10-2008, 09:21
LOL! I'm actually away until next Friday, in actual fact it'll take a couple of weeks to pull everything together and make sure every area is covered so don't hold your breath too long. :lol:

Marco
12-10-2008, 10:50
The best things in life are always worth waiting for :)

It'll be worth it to have it done properly and thoroughly, as it will be a very useful resource for the forum.

Marco.

anthonyTD
23-10-2008, 14:33
its like waiting for paint to dry...:eyebrows::lol::gig::ner::confused::mental:; ):)

Marco
23-10-2008, 14:55
LOL! I think it's in his long list of 'things to do' :)

Marco.

Filterlab
23-10-2008, 17:33
Indeed, it's an extensive subject that won't be quantified in a few lines of text, add to that the limited time I have and it may be a while before it's completed. In the meantime ask any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

anthonyTD
25-10-2008, 20:09
Indeed, it's an extensive subject that won't be quantified in a few lines of text, add to that the limited time I have and it may be a while before it's completed. In the meantime ask any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. :)
hi rob,
no worries mate, ill be patient [promise] i know when you do get round to posting it, it will be well worth the wait!:eyebrows:
can i get off me knees now mate i think me backs gone!!!:lolsign:

anthonyTD
17-11-2008, 13:40
c'mon.............................:lolsign:

Filterlab
17-11-2008, 13:49
Materialisation potential for 2008 = zero.

I've got so much on this has been put on hold until I'm clear. Anything you want to know specifically? :)

anthonyTD
17-11-2008, 21:58
Materialisation potential for 2008 = zero.

I've got so much on this has been put on hold until I'm clear. Anything you want to know specifically? :)

hi rob,
understood mate,
just need to know the easiest way, or any way to put music on to my ipod, from computer...:scratch::)
anthony,TD...:)

Beechwoods
17-11-2008, 22:07
Anthony, you may want to check this out as a starter for 10. There are loads of good guides out there, including on Apple's website, but this one seems to be a good step by step one.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/19260/

Filterlab
17-11-2008, 22:51
1. Plug in iPod

2. iTunes will start

3. Slide music from library to iPod

:)

anthonyTD
18-11-2008, 20:03
Anthony, you may want to check this out as a starter for 10. There are loads of good guides out there, including on Apple's website, but this one seems to be a good step by step one.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/19260/

thanks mate,
i will try it and let you know how i get on.
regards,anthony,TD...:)

anthonyTD
26-11-2008, 19:54
hi guys,
yep, it realy was that simple, many thanks...
regards,anthony,TD...:)