PDA

View Full Version : Aiwa Mini Compo ?

Jac Hawk
18-06-2011, 22:32
Hi guys, my mate has the pre power amp set up from this system

http://www.audio-extasa.eu/imagemagic.php?img=images/Aiwa%2022%20Mini%20Compo%200c.JPG&w=768&h=576&page=popup

i might be looking to do a swap with him, but i've never come across one before, are they any good?

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2011, 22:56
I think it was fairly well regarded. I also think there was a HiFi World 'Olde World' feature on this system once upon a time.

Jac Hawk
18-06-2011, 23:06
well it looks and feels "well made" all the switches operate with a nice 'click' and it's in great condition, well it is now that i gave it the once over, cleaned the pots etc i just don't really need another amp, however if it turns out to be a little gem, and from the brief audition i gave it, it sounds very nice, it might be worth swapping for one of my other amps

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2011, 23:10
If I get time tomorrow, I'll seek out the review for you matey.

Jac Hawk
18-06-2011, 23:35
If I get time tomorrow, I'll seek out the review for you matey.

cheers bud:cool:

Macca
18-06-2011, 23:40
cheers bud:cool:

Deffo in a Hi-Fi World feature - I also have it here somewhere -IIRC the power amp is the outstanding piece.

Jac Hawk
19-06-2011, 00:07
Deffo in a Hi-Fi World feature - I also have it here somewhere -IIRC the power amp is the outstanding piece.

Well he only has the amp, tuner and tape deck are missing, but the amp is in exceptional condition and he got it from the tip:eek: so a great find

John
19-06-2011, 08:19
Some of the Aiwa gear can be quite good

Jac Hawk
19-06-2011, 08:29
Some of the Aiwa gear can be quite good

Before I saw this amp i thought most Aiwa stuff was decidedly bottom end 'Lo Fi' lots of lights and plastic, how wrong was I, this little amp has a real quality feel about it, if it wasn't badged as Aiwa i would swear it was made by a more prestigious marque.

Macca
19-06-2011, 08:46
Their tape decks were always good. The badge started getting used on cheap midi-systems and micro systems in the eighties and got a bit de-valued I think.

Having said that I had one of their midi systems (with seperate TT) back when I was at school - I sold it to my cousin when I upgraded to seperates - it is still in working order 25 years on.

Jac Hawk
19-06-2011, 08:55
you see i never really looked at Aiwa gear and thought they only made the sort of HiFi comet and currys sold, my mistake

Macca
19-06-2011, 09:01
So are you going to swap it with him then? I don't think I could resist if it was me.

Slippershod
19-06-2011, 09:16
I think the emporium in exeter had a couple of pieces from the series - might still have them?

Jac Hawk
19-06-2011, 13:45
So are you going to swap it with him then? I don't think I could resist if it was me.

We're negotiating at the moment:eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
19-06-2011, 15:50
Hmmm, i have the very same sat here in the original rack :lol: If the cassette deck is still functional get yourself a complete new set of belts for it before you can never find any again. Though quite where you'll get them from i have no idea.

If you ever want spares for your deck you are welcome to mine as it's past it's sell by date :eyebrows:

The Pre & Power amps are fine though, the power amp will probably surprise you with it's weight :cool:

Reid Malenfant
19-06-2011, 16:02
I guess i should read more carefully... No tuner or cassette deck :doh:

Does your friends have the alloy handles on the sides? Like rack mount kit, on the left & right edges..

Not sure what to do with the stuff in all honesty :eyebrows:

StanleyB
19-06-2011, 21:06
Before I saw this amp i thought most Aiwa stuff was decidedly bottom end 'Lo Fi' lots of lights and plastic, how wrong was I, this little amp has a real quality feel about it, if it wasn't badged as Aiwa i would swear it was made by a more prestigious marque.
Aiwa used to make some really good stuff up to the moment Sony decided to buy them out in the 80's and use Aiwa as a cheap level entry brand.
I have three pieces of the best amp that Aiwa ever made before the Sony buyout, namely the AA-8700. Each has a different mechanical, electrical, or cosmetic fault. It's my intention to make one good one out of the three as a project. They go cheap on ebay these days, but I rate them as highly as the top of the range Yamaha and Pioneer amps of the same era. The later two go for big money on eBay, which makes the old Aiwa amps a real bargain performance wise.

John
19-06-2011, 21:26
I recently had an AM 73 Master Ref in my system I was pretty good has an internal DAC and phonostage so for it time was pretty forward thinking

Jac Hawk
19-06-2011, 22:36
You see I was still a kid in the 70's and my stereo aspirations revolved around what my dad had and what he gave me, he never bought any Aiwa kit so I missed their better stuff and only saw the cheap crap from the late 80's onwards, it never occurred to me that they did anything else

StanleyB
20-06-2011, 07:13
The Aiwa AD-6900 cassette deck was one of the best decks ever built at any price. A pig to replace the belts and service, but sound wise it can stand up to even the far more expensive Nakamichi Dragon.

chelsea
20-06-2011, 23:21
Used to have that with rack handles and wooden rack.
Wish i had kept the power amp for comp duties.

Aurex did a similar one.

Aiwa did a few nicely made midi combos in the 80s.

technobear
03-07-2011, 20:44
We had an Aiwa music centre in the 70's and it was very good. It sounded far better than any of the competing models we tried.

I've had a couple of their cassette decks over the years and they are excellent - even the budget ones. They had one of the best Dolby NR implementations I've ever heard.

I even had an Aiwa boom box in the 80's and that sounded great too.

Big up Aiwa!

Jac Hawk
03-07-2011, 21:49
well i've gone and got a Series 50 for £4.95 off ebay, the pre amp needed fixing, but that was simply a blown fuse, i must say it does sound rather good, and it's very well made, not what i expected from Aiwa to be honest, i'm very pleased

technobear
03-07-2011, 22:02
well i've gone and got a Series 50 for £4.95 off ebay

Is that the one with the R50 tuner? I had one of those. It was very good for the money.

Jac Hawk
03-07-2011, 22:14
Is that the one with the R50 tuner? I had one of those. It was very good for the money.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image.php?image=2355211&is_user=0

i i got the amp and the tuner, like i said it sounds very good

technobear
03-07-2011, 22:36
That's the one. Lovely kit. They could show the designers of modern mini/midi kit a thing or two about design.

Jac Hawk
03-07-2011, 22:42
Ok it looks a bit Space 1999 as someone said, but you're right Chris it's a beautifully made piece of kit, built in a time when quality was king

icehockeyboy
15-07-2011, 22:37
During a barren period in my hifilife, I had an Aiwa system that consisted of a linear tracking tt, an amp section with a 5 band graphic and tuner, and a seperate cassette recorder, partnered with some AR speakers.....can't recall the model, it didn't sound half bad!