PDA

View Full Version : ? Active speakers for Caimans

worrasf
18-06-2011, 11:59
The internal speakers in my iMac are on the blink - lord knows why but its looking like a hardware problem :doh:
Anyway, rather than get it fixed I thought of using my Caiman/Gator from the iMac's USB port. I don't want to go the whole hog of getting pre/power amps and speakers for this as I don't use the iMac for tunes that much so thought of using the DAC to power a pair of small active speakers - anyone got any experience of this?
Steve

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2011, 13:34
Ross (yoga) recently bought some Dynaudio mc15's for around £500 ex dem ... He seems pretty happy from what I can understand ... What's the budget?

worrasf
18-06-2011, 13:51
[QUOTE=Hamish; What's the budget?[/QUOTE]

Good question - hadn't given much thought but I reckon £500 max
Steve

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2011, 14:19
this thread would be worth a read!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10873

edit

not sure that was the one i was thinking of looking at it ... still might be usefull

audionewbi
18-06-2011, 14:22
LOL I was just about to post a thread like this :-D

I heard a lot of positive report about audioengine A5 however they all seem to have an issue with producing a 'hissing' sound

The Vinyl Adventure
18-06-2011, 14:26
Ross bought his dyns from here ... he also (i believe) considered these ones ... i think he might have even winged a deal out of him ... say Hamish sent you ... might help ... as long as Ross didnt blag him too much down on the dyns ;)
http://www.mannaudio.com/All-products/Adam-Audio-A5-Active-Monitors/prod_56.html
at the time i thought £450 looked dear as i had thought id seen them for £250 a pair, but id miss read and actually seen them at £250 each ... so i guess £450 a pair ex dem isnt bad
for ref http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/adam-a5-studio-multimedia-monitor-in-matt-black--50641
and a review
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec08/articles/adama5.htm
... i just want someone else round these parts to own a pair of adams really ;)

worrasf
18-06-2011, 16:35
Thanks Hamish - The Adams look just right - am off on holiday next week but will check them out on return I think.

Steve

DSJR
18-06-2011, 20:01
Have read that Dynaudio actives are all fur coat and no knickers where real clarity and musical insight is concerned, but am open to being educated otherwise.

You know, despite their cheapness, the £200 to £250 Behringers are apparently very good indeed and well worth a listen I think.

Mackie is another name that crops up in budget pro actives too.

You know, I think that any half decent popular little active will trounce any current £500 passives sourced from the big dealer chains and made/marketed by the bigger UK speaker manufacturers. For passive domestic competitors, Rega will possibly come close, as they pride themselves on clarity rather than boom-n-fizz, but yoiu'd need a half decent cheap vintage amp to drive them for five hundred notes.

Techno Commander
18-06-2011, 20:45
Check out the Behringer B3030 or B3031

audionewbi
19-06-2011, 00:17
Almost all those speakers mentioned do not have a striaght RCA input connection.

And the dynaudio speakers cost 1 000 where I live! :(

Aturion
19-06-2011, 01:45
I'm using Yamaha HS80M along with my caiman... works great :) and meets your budget, they also have a sub if you have a big room.

Yoga
19-06-2011, 10:58
Have read that Dynaudio actives are all fur coat and no knickers where real clarity and musical insight is concerned, but am open to being educated otherwise.

You know, despite their cheapness, the £200 to £250 Behringers are apparently very good indeed and well worth a listen I think.

Mackie is another name that crops up in budget pro actives too.

You know, I think that any half decent popular little active will trounce any current £500 passives sourced from the big dealer chains and made/marketed by the bigger UK speaker manufacturers. For passive domestic competitors, Rega will possibly come close, as they pride themselves on clarity rather than boom-n-fizz, but yoiu'd need a half decent cheap vintage amp to drive them for five hundred notes.

Owning Dynaudio MC-15's, I'd have to disagree here. They are fantastic speakers - dynamic, accurate and transparent :¬)

Listening to Muddy Waters puts you in the room with him!