PDA

View Full Version : DAC confusion

AnthonyMA
17-06-2011, 15:28
I think the only way forward is this: please recommend a DAC for no more than £800 that will suit Squeezebox Touch -> Quad Elite. I do not have to spend £800:). I will happily spend £300 if the gain between £300 and £800 is marginal. Also, any advice on power supplies would be welcome; some DAC suppliers seem to supply PSUs that actually limit their DACs (why would they do that?). I appreciate your help

jantheman
17-06-2011, 15:37
I'll start you off with...........
http://www.simaudio.com/moon100D.htm
Fantastic sound and priced around £550

Effem
17-06-2011, 15:47
The new Audiolab DAC is a very nice sounding bit of kit

Stratmangler
17-06-2011, 15:48
http://www.beresford.me/PP/CAIMAN_Gatorized.html
http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-recorders-dacs-cassette-decks/cambridge-audio/dacmagic/camb-dacmagic-08-sil
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/M1-Series/M1DAC/M1DAC.asp
http://www.rega.co.uk/html/DAC.htm
http://www.m2tech.biz/young.asp

I have a Gatorized Caiman and it sounds excellent.

Yoga
17-06-2011, 16:07

Care to explain further? :¬)

Tim
17-06-2011, 17:02
Care to explain further? :¬)
Indeed, I didn't know there was one :scratch:

oldson
17-06-2011, 17:49

are you speaking of the mdac or 8200dq?

Effem
17-06-2011, 21:08
are you speaking of the mdac or 8200dq?

I have only heard the 8200CDQ and I was very impressed by it

Effem
18-06-2011, 12:14
Man wants a standalone DAC :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Spur07
18-06-2011, 12:32
Man wants a standalone DAC :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

In that case go for the MDAC, it should be out in August, probably priced around the £399 mark. Worth consideration at that price.

jantheman
18-06-2011, 13:34
In that case go for the MDAC, it should be out in August, probably priced around the £399 mark. Worth consideration at that price.

Hilarious..........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oldson
18-06-2011, 16:40

will it be as good as the dq or cdq though?

Spur07
18-06-2011, 18:58
will it be as good as the dq or cdq though?

I don't know tbh, its all a bit confusing with tweaks, upgrades, etc. There's a long running thread on PFM solely concerned with the new AL dacs. I think they've made some changes to the DQ and MDAC since the CDQ arrived. From what I can remember, (and don't quote me on this), the impression is the stand alone versions 'should' sound better.

John personally promised August was the month :rolleyes:

oldson
18-06-2011, 19:53
I don't know tbh, its all a bit confusing with tweaks, upgrades, etc. There's a long running thread on PFM solely concerned with the new AL dacs. I think they've made some changes to the DQ and MDAC since the CDQ arrived. From what I can remember, (and don't quote me on this), the impression is the stand alone versions 'should' sound better.

John personally promised August was the month :rolleyes:

from what i have read.. the dq is identical to the cdq's dac.
but the mdac is altogether a different beast.

Spur07
18-06-2011, 21:34
from what i have read.. the dq is identical to the cdq's dac.
but the mdac is altogether a different beast.

Yes, that could be the case. When I met JW last year and during the months shortly after the CDQ release my impressions were that the MDAC would be different to the CDQ and inferior, but from what I've been reading recently it seems the tables may have been reversed.

I really like the reviews coming from the Mtech Young owners, I'm sorely tempted but I'm not sure I want to pay £675

oldson
18-06-2011, 21:39
Yes, that could be the case. When I met JW last year and during the months shortly after the CDQ release my impressions were that the MDAC would be different to the CDQ and inferior, but from what I've been reading recently it seems the tables may have been reversed.

I really like the reviews coming from the Mtech Young owners, I'm sorely tempted but I'm not sure I want to pay £675

i believe its £750 now.

i would like to know what makes the mdac, on paper, better now than the dq or cdq.
could you post a link to any relevant thread?
you say the mdac is scheduled for aug release! any news on the dq?
cheers

jantheman
19-06-2011, 06:56
Dont get too enthusiastic about the Audiolab MDAC. If you want to wait, that's up to you. If you want to wait, that's up to you. If you want to wait, that's up to you.
Originally supposed to have been released in February and still no sign. No mention whatsoever on the Audiolab UK website.
As far as I can tell it's all pie in the sky at the moment.
If you want to wait, that's up to you. (have I already said that?) At some time though, a decision will have to be made.

Spur07
19-06-2011, 12:56
i believe its £750 now.

i would like to know what makes the mdac, on paper, better now than the dq or cdq.
could you post a link to any relevant thread?
you say the mdac is scheduled for aug release! any news on the dq?
cheers

Part IV here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101062

I haven't even read any of this - last I read was part III. Like I said, don't quote me, you'll have to go rummage :)

Spur07
19-06-2011, 12:58
Dont get too enthusiastic about the Audiolab MDAC. If you want to wait, that's up to you. If you want to wait, that's up to you. If you want to wait, that's up to you.
Originally supposed to have been released in February and still no sign. No mention whatsoever on the Audiolab UK website.
As far as I can tell it's all pie in the sky at the moment.
If you want to wait, that's up to you. (have I already said that?) At some time though, a decision will have to be made.

Yeah, its a pain waiting. I seriously considered the Eastern Electric Dac, especially as I can get it sent from a mate in USA. If the MDAC don't materialize in August I might go down that route.

Yoga
19-06-2011, 13:54
Yeah, its a pain waiting. I seriously considered the Eastern Electric Dac, especially as I can get it sent from a mate in USA. If the MDAC don't materialize in August I might go down that route.

The EE MKII is to be released next month, various upgrades with the most noticeable being asynch USB. They have stopped selling the MKI now and stocks are low; August may be too late.

If you do get your mate to get you one, any chance you could double the order? :¬)

oldson
19-06-2011, 20:04
The EE MKII is to be released next month, various upgrades with the most noticeable being asynch USB. They have stopped selling the MKI now and stocks are low; August may be too late.

If you do get your mate to get you one, any chance you could double the order? :¬)

any word on price?

Spur07
19-06-2011, 20:10

dont see why not, he sent a trampoline back once :lol:

just a case of giving his address when ordering and he'll send it on minus the VAT/import duty/courier charges. We'll see what happens in the coming months.

oldson
19-06-2011, 20:18
have just mailed "audio emotion" to see if they intend to stock the eemk2.

Spur07
19-06-2011, 20:37
have just mailed "audio emotion" to see if they intend to stock the eemk2.

Its considerably dearer over here I believe if memory serves, to such an extent you'd have to take a proper look at the Mtech Young.

Yoga
19-06-2011, 22:54
any word on price?

$1,200 for the MKII.

Its considerably dearer over here I believe if memory serves, to such an extent you'd have to take a proper look at the Mtech Young.

My sentiments exactly :¬)

Batty
20-06-2011, 01:23
I had a friend over yesterday to have a listen to the SB touch and to get to know the user interface while he waits for his to arrive, he brought his Audio GD NFB 2 with him, this costs $500 US. it is an excellent DAC for the money, great build quality and even better sound.

My wife came into the room so we asked her what she thought, she asked where the music was coming from, finally my speakers had dissappeared. She asked when we were getting one. I'll have to oblige the lady on this one.

oldson
20-06-2011, 18:22
I had a friend over yesterday to have a listen to the SB touch and to get to know the user interface while he waits for his to arrive, he brought his Audio GD NFB 2 with him, this costs $500 US. it is an excellent DAC for the money, great build quality and even better sound.

My wife came into the room so we asked her what she thought, she asked where the music was coming from, finally my speakers had dissappeared. She asked when we were getting one. I'll have to oblige the lady on this one.

last time i had an experience like this, i woke up shortly after!:lol:

oldson
20-06-2011, 18:24
got a message back from audio emotion today.
they are saying september for stock and price is likely to be £995