PDA

View Full Version : Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated Amp - Perfect

Jem
16-06-2011, 11:20
Hi, I have a perfect Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated amp. It was modified by John Samson (ex Musical Fidelity) a few years ago - a lot of component replacement, single piece heat sink and vented side plates. There isn't a mark on it. I now own a MF A1000 and the A1 just sits in a box under the bed which is a shame. Loved this amp for many years and looked after it. I'm not sure just yet what a fair price is, but if you're interested please let me know here and we can talk about it. Thanks.

UPDATE: Thought I should show you how clean it is. No idea on price though - maybe I should give John Samson a call...

camtwister
16-06-2011, 11:28
Best of luck with your sale, Jem.
When you have a moment, please start a thread about your A1000,
because that really is sexy...

Reid Malenfant
16-06-2011, 12:38
Best of luck with your sale, Jem.
When you have a moment, please start a thread about your A1000,
because that really is sexy...
I'll second the above! Best of luck with the sale ;)

If i remember correctly the A1000 was a serious bit of kit, i for one would love to see pics of it to see if it's what i think i'm imagining, yes a thread would be good :)

Jem
16-06-2011, 17:41
I'll second the above! Best of luck with the sale ;)

If i remember correctly the A1000 was a serious bit of kit, i for one would love to see pics of it to see if it's what i think i'm imagining, yes a thread would be good :)

Where would you like me to post the photo of 'the sexy beast' then? :)

Reid Malenfant
16-06-2011, 17:47
Where would you like me to post the photo of 'the sexy beast' then? :)
The Gallery (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14) if you'd be so kind :) Link supplied ;)

By the way, i'm sure i'm not the only one but i'd sure like to see the rest of your system :)

For picture hosting please take a look at this thread (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2) :cool:

Take your time, we're pretty patient (on occasion :lol:).

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Tim
16-06-2011, 17:58
By the way, i'm sure i'm not the only one but i'd sure like to see the rest of your system :)
You can't beat a bit of voyeurism :eyebrows:

Jem
17-06-2011, 12:46
Hi, I have a perfect Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated amp. It was modified by John Samson (ex Musical Fidelity) a few years ago - a lot of component replacement, single piece heat sink and vented side plates. There isn't a mark on it. I now own a MF A1000 and the A1 just sits in a box under the bed which is a shame. Loved this amp for many years and looked after it. I'm not sure just yet what a fair price is, but if you're interested please let me know here and we can talk about it. Thanks.

UPDATE: Thought I should show you how clean it is. No idea on price though - maybe I should give John Samson a call...

UPDATE: I've spoken to John Samson who did the mods to the A1. He's put a value of £200 on it. So there we go - any interest?

Friocky
21-06-2011, 09:54
Interested mate!
But - how much to ship it out to Australia ? (near Sydney)
Cheers
:)

RochaCullen
21-06-2011, 11:51
UPDATE: I've spoken to John Samson who did the mods to the A1. He's put a value of £200 on it. So there we go - any interest?

Can we get a pic of the rear, so we can see what kind of inputs it accepts?

Jem
21-06-2011, 12:03
Interested mate!
But - how much to ship it out to Australia ? (near Sydney)
Cheers
:)

If you're serious I'll investigate and get back to you. Might take a day or two to get a shipping quote together.

Jem
21-06-2011, 12:08
Can we get a pic of the rear, so we can see what kind of inputs it accepts?

I'm away at the moment so can't take a photo, but it's straightforward:

RCA Phono sockets for:

Turntable
CD
Tuner
Aux
Tape

Banana plug connectors for the speaker connections.

On the front you have a Tape Monitor switch and on the rear an earth connector and MM/MC switch for the Turntable.

Friocky
21-06-2011, 12:11
Yes, Jem - definitely serious. Decent gear is like hen's teeth over here. Current A1 retails for $2500 ! We get royally ripped off for hifi. I'd been looking at a Marantz CD6003- uk, 235 quid - Oz - $900 !

Let me know how you get on mate. Cheers.

Jem
21-06-2011, 21:50
Yes, Jem - definitely serious. Decent gear is like hen's teeth over here. Current A1 retails for $2500 ! We get royally ripped off for hifi. I'd been looking at a Marantz CD6003- uk, 235 quid - Oz - $900 !

Let me know how you get on mate. Cheers.

I got a 'quick quote' from Parcelforce Worldwide based on an 8Kg package (Amp. is 6Kg + packaging) and the first tracked service they offer came out at £110 approx. I haven't checked the insurance or the packaging costs but I guess you must be looking at around £150 all told. This is not an accurate quote though. Just wanted to try to give you an idea, but it will be a few days before I have the time to get suitable packaging organised - I don't have a box to fit or nearly enough bubble wrap! And I'd want to take advice on how to pack it correctly to be safe for long haul shipping. Won't you pay import duty / tax at your end as well? Also, do you know someone out there who would be able to service it if needed? - The A1 is an unusual little beast.

Friocky
22-06-2011, 08:33
Hi Jem,
One of my colleagues is heading over to the UK on holiday in a couple of weeks. I may try and get him to bring it back. Otherwise it is kind of expensive!:(
Don't think there's any duty on items under $1000 or so, but as the item is second-hand, the duty may already have been 'paid' by you or another?
Can you give me dimensions of the amp as I may try and sort out a flight case or something for shipping.
Cheers again,
Neil

Tim
22-06-2011, 08:52
Jem, have you tried this service http://www.parcel2go.com/?gclid=CN-yu_CQyakCFQJO4Qod3DIAYw

Pick-up from your door and their rates are hard to beat - you can even use Parcelforce in the UK for less than the Post Office will charge you. Just had a quick look and a 10kg package to Oz should be around £70.00 with FedEx World Economy :)

Jem
22-06-2011, 09:00
Hi Jem,
One of my colleagues is heading over to the UK on holiday in a couple of weeks. I may try and get him to bring it back. Otherwise it is kind of expensive!:(
Don't think there's any duty on items under $1000 or so, but as the item is second-hand, the duty may already have been 'paid' by you or another?
Can you give me dimensions of the amp as I may try and sort out a flight case or something for shipping.
Cheers again,
Neil

OK, I have some experience of this as I used to live in Scandinavia, and had to export / import the A1 when the mods were done. I think you are still liable for import duty (any value limits aside) unless you are exporting / importing from your country of residence for the purposes of repair. At least, that's what I was told. You would be importing an item into the country for the first time (second hand or not) so I believe any import duty would still apply. I might be wrong though! - Australia's 'rules' could well be different to the EU. Anyway, I think you definitely have the right solution to getting it back - hand carried (which is the way I did it). I took it as hand luggage which means of course it can be treated gently with no worries of being thrown around by the baggage handlers! Being 6Kg though it means you've pretty well got no hand luggage allowance left - depending on how strict the airline is. When I took it through at Heathrow I had to declare it before flying at UK Customs.

Anyway, dimensions:

Width: 41cm (16" approx)
Depth: 25cm (9 3/4" approx)
Height: 6.5cm (2 1/2" approx)

I live near Oxford in the south. If this looks possible then I suggest you PM me with you home telephone number so we can talk about money transfer and arrangements for your colleague to meet me. I can make free VOIP calls to Australia from home.

I'll be around today, so get back to me when you can.

Cheers.

Jem
22-06-2011, 09:05
Jem, have you tried this service http://www.parcel2go.com/?gclid=CN-yu_CQyakCFQJO4Qod3DIAYw

Pick-up from your door and their rates are hard to beat - you can even use Parcelforce in the UK for less than the Post Office will charge you. Just had a quick look and a 10kg package to Oz should be around £70.00 with FedEx World Economy :)

Thanks, though the 'hand carried by a friend' option is probably best if it's possible. If Neil's colleague will do it, I admit I'd be happier.

Tim
22-06-2011, 09:22
Thanks, though the 'hand carried by a friend' option is probably best if it's possible. If Neil's colleague will do it, I admit I'd be happier.
Hmmm, at the weight an A1 is that would go in the aircraft hold I suspect..... next time you are sat on a plane, take a look at what the baggage handlers do with the luggage? And if they f*** it up and break it, you try getting compensation from the airline? I would trust an insured FedEx delivery over an airline any day....... just a thought ;) But then once it's paid for and you hand it over, I guess that would become Neil's problem?

Anyway, I'm rambling now........... sorry

Jem
22-06-2011, 09:49
Hmmm, at the weight an A1 is that would go in the aircraft hold I suspect..... next time you are sat on a plane, take a look at what the baggage handlers do with the luggage? And if they f*** it up and break it, you try getting compensation from the airline? I would trust an insured FedEx delivery over an airline any day....... just a thought ;) But then once it's paid for and you hand it over, I guess that would become Neil's problem?

Anyway, I'm rambling now........... sorry

Well, all I can say is I carried it in a standard size 'carry on bag', and had no problems. In that situation it doesn't need packing or padding as such. The Quantas hand luggage limit is 7Kg - that's enough for an A1 and some other essentials! If it was me, I'd be carrying it. Experiences of couriers are different as well - I'm not sure that couriers are any better than baggage handlers when it comes to throwing things around, and I've had damaged goods delivered to me by FedEx and DHL...

Tim
22-06-2011, 09:52
If it was me, I'd be carrying it.
Me too.

Good luck with the sale anyway, I quite like some MF gear and always thought the A1 was one of their best amps, very sweet sound and above all musical - I was actually tempted myself ;)

Jem
22-06-2011, 09:54
Me too.

Good luck with the sale anyway, I quite like some MF gear and always thought the A1 was one of their best amps, very sweet sound and above all musical - I was actually tempted myself ;)

Now stop that :) - I might change my mind and keep it ;)

Jem
23-06-2011, 21:38

I may be wrong but I think my purchaser may have been put off by the shipping complications. Just want to bring this to the top of the board again in case there's more interest. Thanks.

Friocky
24-06-2011, 03:50
Hi Jem,
Not entirely put off! I' trying to see if one of my mate's can bring it back as 'hand luggage' ;) if not, the costs for shipping are kinda painful..... I' m looking at alternatives, too see if there's another way to make it more viable. Hopefully I can get back to you soon with a definite answer, but if an offer comes your way in the interim I understand completely if you go with it.
Sorry about the delay Jem - the time zone differences tend to slow down communications.

Jem
24-06-2011, 08:19
Hi Jem,
Not entirely put off! I' trying to see if one of my mate's can bring it back as 'hand luggage' ;) if not, the costs for shipping are kinda painful..... I' m looking at alternatives, too see if there's another way to make it more viable. Hopefully I can get back to you soon with a definite answer, but if an offer comes your way in the interim I understand completely if you go with it.
Sorry about the delay Jem - the time zone differences tend to slow down communications.

OK, if that turns out to be a 'No', I'll look again at any cheaper shipping quotes. We ought to be able to crack this one way or the other!

Friocky
24-06-2011, 12:50
Cheers Jem, much appreciated.

Friocky
27-06-2011, 23:32
:(
My colleague is traveling with his wife & two kids and doesn't want to manage an amp too!
Sorry Jem, but it's a no from him.
Looks like the costs are going to be prohibitive to import from the UK unless the item is quite small/light, and I'll need to rethink my plan! :(
Sorry for any inconvenience Jem, best of luck with the sale.