PDA

View Full Version : Recording using Audacity

dave2010
12-06-2011, 16:36
Has anyone figured out how to record audio streams using Audacity on an iMac? I've done this many times on a PC, but discovered that it's not quite so easy on an iMac. The iMac doesn't seem to have the same way of handling audio devices. I think I did make a recording, but I fear it may be very low quality. Probably picked it up from the microphone, having turned the volume up on the speakers :doh:

worrasf
12-06-2011, 16:47
Hi Dave - Yes, I've recorded a couple of dozen albums onto my iMac using Audacity with no issues at all. I also use ClickRepair (http://www.clickrepair.net/software_download/clickrepair.html) and DeNoise (http://www.clickrepair.net/software_download/denoise.html) to good effect.

I connect into the iMac line in port direct from the output of my Quad 33 (socket that normally goes to the Quad 303 power amp) - I find having the 33 volume knob set at 6 gives me the correct input volume to Audacity.

Steve

worrasf
12-06-2011, 17:12
To select the line - in Audacity go to Preferences - Devices and set "Recording" to built-in-device. Close preferences. Then on the Audacity recording page select "line in" as the input (will probably be auto selected after you change the preferences). I leave all the input volume adjustments to default and then adjust the preamp volume control so when recording I get a wave form that is + 0.5 to - 0.5 in amplitude

Steve

dave2010
14-06-2011, 16:04
Steve

I'm curious about which version of Audacity you're using. Mine does not have the vertical list with Devices, as shown in your image, but rather a panel with tabs across the top. There are no device options which make sense in mine.

I am running on an iMac - though it looks as though you might be too.

I thought I had a fairly recent version, but maybe I need to download the latest - or not!

worrasf
14-06-2011, 19:51
Hi Dave - it's 1.3.12 - beta.
Works a treat totally stable - have it running on my iMac and MacBook

Steve

dave2010
15-06-2011, 13:59
Steve

Sounds as though you are recording from an external device, using a wired connection.

I"m trying to record the audio output, e.g from iTunes or iPlayer. It works in Windows, but not, apparently on iMacs. I've tried the latest Beta version, which is just one after your version, and it still doesn't work in this way. Might work if I put a wire in the loop I suppose.

worrasf
15-06-2011, 15:36
Steve

Sounds as though you are recording from an external device, using a wired connection.

I"m trying to record the audio output, e.g from iTunes or iPlayer. It works in Windows, but not, apparently on iMacs. I've tried the latest Beta version, which is just one after your version, and it still doesn't work in this way. Might work if I put a wire in the loop I suppose.

Ah sorry Dave :doh: Yes, I am recording from my deck via wired connection. Like you unable to get iTunes to record directly to Audacity.

Steve

lovejoy
15-06-2011, 15:43
Hi Dave,
What you need is a copy of SoundFlower http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/.

SoundFlower acts as an audio device, so if you're using iTunes for example, you configure iTunes with SoundFlower as the output device (instead of your DAC or audio output device) then you select SoundFlower as the input device in Audacity and you can then capture live audio as if it were an incoming signal.

worrasf
15-06-2011, 19:49
Hi Dave,
What you need is a copy of SoundFlower http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/.

Just installed it - works a treat :)

Steve

dave2010
16-06-2011, 09:28
Agree it works, though perhaps not absolutely hassle free. I had to divert the output to Soundflower on the sending application (in System Preferences), which then meant I couldn't listen at the same time. Maybe there are more work arounds which I've not figured yet.

Perhaps wouldn't be my favourite way of doing this kind of thing, but I don't do this too often.

lovejoy
22-06-2011, 10:18
I can't really understand why you would want to record the output from iTunes, unless of course you're playing internet radio through it and want to capture the streams.

In which case there is a much easier and more elegant method. Get yourself a copy of Fstream (assuming you're on a Mac). You can then paste the URL of the station you want to it and it has its own recording feature. As the BBC has now also published direct links to its live streams you can now record BBC radio stations too which is great, especially for the 320kbps Radio 3 streams.