PDA

View Full Version : How does your room effect your sound through your mood?

The Vinyl Adventure
11-06-2011, 00:04
My living room system ...
All messy gubbins taken away, just tidy room with all the essentials either hidden away or on a tidy rack that hides the cables...
Ive said this elsewhere ... But half the pleasure of this system is in the neatness of the room ... There is somthing very relaxing about neat and tidiness that improves my listening pleasure just through being more relaxed!
People often refer to the room being a massive component in sound ... I def agree, but for more than just the usual reason!

Anyone else care about this sort of thing? Or is it just me ...
I think I might have cought the pregnancy-nesting bug from Hannah maybe :)

Anyway ... This is what I'm taking about ... Tidy!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC7034-2.jpg

Thing Fish
11-06-2011, 03:01
I too demand a tidy room and indeed will tidy whilst spinning wax thus enabling me to satisfy two great passions at the same time. Cleaning and listening.

Alex_UK
11-06-2011, 07:57
Having seen some of your previous living room pictures Hamish - that IS tidy! ;) Looks very cosy and "nest like" - how long before the due date now?

The Vinyl Adventure
11-06-2011, 08:10
7 weeks alex ... All being well, 31st July is the due date :)
The whole house is really tidy (apart from the loft) ... Hannah is quite tenacious when she wants to and hasn't let pregnancy stop her from going about her normal day (despite my insistence she rests) so whilst im at work she has been cleaning mad ... I think she's nuts and should just put her feet up, but she won't have it!

Anyway, the result of this is me realising what I was saying ... This tidyiness is good for my brain! I guess I should enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Alex_UK
11-06-2011, 08:18
7 weeks alex ... All being well, 31st July is the due date :)
The whole house is really tidy (apart from the loft) ... Hannah is quite tenacious when she wants to and hasn't let pregnancy stop her from going about her normal day (despite my insistence she rests) so whilst im at work she has been cleaning mad ... I think she's nuts and should just put her feet up, but she won't have it!

Anyway, the result of this is me realising what I was saying ... This tidyiness is good for my brain! I guess I should enjoy it whilst it lasts!

My wife was like that too, we even went out in the country walking 5+ miles when she was overdue!

I prefer the house being tidy, but as you'll soon find out, kids and their paraphernalia are not conducive to a tidy house - we do however try to tidy up the living room every night after Avatar goes to bed to get back to some sort of adult normality! A tidy room, subdued lighting and a nice glass of red is definitely a help in kicking back and enjoying some chilled tunes. :)

Good luck with the impending mayhem! ;) (You'll love it!)

WOStantonCS100
11-06-2011, 08:26
I get physically ill (headaches) amongst too much clutter. My old listening room was so cluttered, I often either had to close my eyes or stop listening all together and leave the room. Not good. :( I still don't have enough shelving for all the vinyl; but, at least what doesn't fit on shelving is leaned up against the walls behind the listening position... ...out of plain view!

Mark Grant
11-06-2011, 08:57
Looks great Hamish, no beer cans.

I guess thats taken with your new Nikon lens :)

Marco
11-06-2011, 09:07
Looks ace, Hamish. You've got the lighting spot on, which is so important in a room to make it feel cosy. Was that taken with a digital camera? ;)

I know exactly what you mean, btw, regarding there's something relaxing about neat and tidiness. The most important thing, above all else, is that a room is warm and inviting to be in, which partly stems from neatness and tidiness. If not, no matter how good your system sounds, you'll rarely use it.

Enjoy, and good luck with the forthcoming sprog invasion... I hear it will be triplets! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Beechwoods
11-06-2011, 09:45
I can't relax if there's stuff to do in my room... and it's not so hard to keep the place tidy if you keep at it as you go... I learnt from hard experience. I'm naturally right grubby, and Mrs B is 'quite the opposite' to say the least :lol:

Jac Hawk
11-06-2011, 11:46
So we're all in agreement then :) a nice clean and tidy room enhances our listening pleasure;) Nice lookin room by the way Hamish

The Vinyl Adventure
11-06-2011, 12:17
Looks ace, Hamish. You've got the lighting spot on, which is so important in a room to make it feel cosy. Was that taken with a digital camera? ;)

I'm supprised you need to ask ... You tell me ;)

I know exactly what you mean, btw, regarding there's something relaxing about neat and tidiness. The most important thing, above all else, is that a room is warm and inviting to be in, which partly stems from neatness and tidiness. If not, no matter how good your system sounds, you'll rarely use it.

Yeah I completely agree!

Enjoy, and good luck with the forthcoming sprog invasion... I hear it will be triplets! :eyebrows:

Haha ... I bloody hope not!

The Vinyl Adventure
11-06-2011, 12:20
I can't relax if there's stuff to do in my room... and it's not so hard to keep the place tidy if you keep at it as you go... I learnt from hard experience. I'm naturally right grubby, and Mrs B is 'quite the opposite' to say the least :lol:

I used to work in a kitchen ... That was the moto "tidy as you go" ... One of the chaps I worked with was an alchi and a bit nuts ... He used to wonder around the kitchen cleaning things mumbling "tidy as you go, tidy as you go" once in a while he would shout it at the top of his voice ... Nuts he was, very funny though!

The Vinyl Adventure
11-06-2011, 12:26
So we're all in agreement then :) a nice clean and tidy room enhances our listening pleasure;) Nice lookin room by the way Hamish

It would seem so... Although I have seen a few less than tidy rooms on here
Usually belonging to those hoarders this hobby has a few of :)

Cheers though ... As Mark commented this was as much about my new lens as anything else ;)

Spectral Morn
11-06-2011, 22:50
Lovely looking room Hamish.

Good luck with everything.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
11-06-2011, 23:25
Colours play a big roll for me, Orange i need orange in a room, it puts me in a good mood. I can't settle with bright lights & decor, i prefer to listern to music in a knocking shop type enviroment :eyebrows:

Macca
12-06-2011, 08:31
Colours play a big roll for me, Orange i need orange in a room, it puts me in a good mood. I can't settle with bright lights & decor, i prefer to listern to music in a knocking shop type enviroment :eyebrows:

Yep I can't handle bright lights at the best of times and deffo not when trying to relax. I got one 8w bulb that lights the whole room from behind a big pot plant in the alcove. A mate of mine calls it The Batcave:lol:

jandl100
16-06-2011, 05:46
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC7034-2.jpg

:doh: Oh My God .... NO !!!! :doh:

I couldn't live in a room as tidy as that. :scratch:

Basically, I'm a slob and I am only really cumfy when things are a bit cluttered up.

I would feel distinctly ill at ease in your room, Hamish. Too much like a bloody hotel room or a museum exhibit for me! :eyebrows:

To each their own, eh? :)

... and as for that mirror ...

Tim
16-06-2011, 08:48

Wonderful room Hamish and just how I like it....... mess just stresses the hell out of me, I guess a throwback from living on a Navy warship!

:cool:

Marco
16-06-2011, 11:33

I couldn't live in a room as tidy as that.

Basically, I'm a slob and I am only really cumfy when things are a bit cluttered up.

I would feel distinctly ill at ease in your room, Hamish. Too much like a bloody hotel room or a museum exhibit for me!

To each their own, eh?

... and as for that mirror ...

Lol - it just shows how tastes can vary!

I know what you mean about clutter. I too like a bit of clutter, as rooms can look a little cold and impersonal, if they're absolutely tidy and devoid of knick-knacks. Even though Hamish's room is tidy, I think it's far from being cold or impersonal.

I think that the room is lovely, and it has his personality (and no doubt Hannah's) stamped all over it. Being in a period property, the room has nice features and character, and isn't a boring non-descript rectangular box, such as what exists today in your average Wimpey Home! :rolleyes:

The room is also beautifully lit, making it warm looking and inviting, simply but tastefully furnished, and has a nice homely 'vibe'. So quite the opposite from you, Jerry, I'd feel very comfy in there, curled up listening to some tunes on that sofa, enjoying a nice bottle of wine :)

I could also imagine it looking really cosy at night, with just a few candles flickering in the otherwise darkness.... What Hamish really should do is open up the fireplace and have a real log fire burning (I'm sure the dog could sleep somewhere else) - then it would be absolute bliss. I could imagine it all sparkly and nicely decorated at Christmas, especially with a little 'un on the way! :cool:

Oh, and I LURVE the mirror! I have a thing for colourful mosaic patterns in tiles or on glass. The mirror adds light and breaks up the room very well.

Marco.

Tim
16-06-2011, 14:56

I know what you mean about clutter. I too like a bit of clutter, as rooms can look a little cold and impersonal, if they're absolutely tidy and devoid of knick-knacks. Even though Hamish's room is tidy, I think it's far from being cold or impersonal.

I think that the room is lovely, and it has his personality (and no doubt Hannah's) stamped all over it. Being in a period property, the room has nice features and character, and isn't a boring non-descript rectangular box, such as what exists today in your average Wimpey Home! :rolleyes:

The room is also beautifully lit, making it warm looking and inviting, simply but tastefully furnished, and has a nice homely 'vibe'. So quite the opposite from you, Jerry, I'd feel very comfy in there, curled up listening to some tunes on that sofa, enjoying a nice bottle of wine :)

I could also imagine it looking really cosy at night, with just a few candles flickering in the otherwise darkness.... What Hamish really should do is open up the fireplace and have a real log fire burning (I'm sure the dog could sleep somewhere else) - then it would be absolute bliss. I could imagine it all sparkly and nicely decorated at Christmas, especially with a little 'un on the way! :cool:

Oh, and I LURVE the mirror! I have a thing for colourful mosaic patterns in tiles or on glass. The mirror adds light and breaks up the room very well.

Marco.

+1 nice one Marco, you have very eloquently relayed my thoughts as well - I was just being lazy :eyebrows:

jandl100
17-06-2011, 09:22

... I have to confess, though, that you have inspired me to tidy up my room a bit, Alex! :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
17-06-2011, 20:00

Marco.

Cheers Marco, kind words indeed!

There fireplace will one day be opened and a wood burner put in place ... Money permitting of course...

The mirror is the only "designer" peice of furniture we own (and are ver likely to really) it was a present to out selves after we first moved in together ... I love the thing!

Marco
17-06-2011, 20:33
Nice one, Hamish - you can tell that the mirror is quality. It's also very '1960s kitsch', which is very fashionable at the moment :)

I think that the wood burner is an excellent idea and will really finish the room off. Just be careful that inquisitive little fingers don't get burnt!

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
17-06-2011, 20:43
Indeed ... Talking of kitch ... And divided opinions on taste I would have thought...

Check this out ... Huge tretchikoff poster on our bedroom wall ... A step to far for most I suspect ... But I love it!!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/4ca752d0.jpg

And quite a feat of framing I would have thought you would agree ;)

Marco
17-06-2011, 20:54
Lol - I'd need to see it up close to examine how the corners are mitred! ;)

But yes, I know what you mean... I like the poster, as it makes quite a 'statement', and crucially, adds some of your own personality to the room.

What I hate is the totally bland mass-produced shit that you see for sale in every shop in the high street, bought by folk with zero taste and even less imagination, and so every Tom Dick and Harry ends up with the same stuff hanging on their walls! :rolleyes:

Oh, and apart from that, my pet hate is clueless dafties who buy artwork simply to match their décor!! :doh:

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
17-06-2011, 21:13
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/4ca752d0.jpg

:stalks: Wow. That's huge. Cool. A definite statement. Did I mention, huge?

It's a good thing she's not looking at you, with eyes that follow you about the room. That would be freaky! :sofa:

MartinT
17-06-2011, 21:20
I love the light in your room, Hamish. I can imagine that it's a serene place in which to listen to music :)

The Vinyl Adventure
17-06-2011, 21:49
Lol - I'd need to see it up close to examine how the corners are mitred! ;)

But yes, I know what you mean... I like the poster, as it makes quite a 'statement', and crucially, adds some of your own personality to the room.

What I hate is the totally bland mass-produced shit that you see for sale in every shop in the high street, bought by folk with zero taste and even less imagination, and so every Tom Dick and Harry ends up with the same stuff hanging on their walls! :rolleyes:

Oh, and apart from that, my pet hate is clueless dafties who buy artwork simply to match their décor!! :doh:

Marco.

The corners are perfect ... Ish ... Well ... They are a bit rough ... Actually, they arent great :) I made it!

I know what you mean about run of the mill stuff, although we do have a few mass produced posters framed...(it's not like tretchikoff isnt mass produced ... Although not so much in that size) But it's stuff we specifically like or means something to us ... Hannah also makes a lot of stuff for our walls including a triptych of wood panels with proverbs hand painted on them ... She's very telented really ... As I said in another thread though, I'm yet to have any of my own images on the wall ... Although that's about to change I think!

The Vinyl Adventure
17-06-2011, 21:49
:stalks: Wow. That's huge. Cool. A definite statement. Did I mention, huge?

It's a good thing she's not looking at you, with eyes that follow you about the room. That would be freaky! :sofa:

That's exactly why we went for that one! Big scary eyes are not bedroom appropriate!

The Vinyl Adventure
17-06-2011, 21:50
I love the light in your room, Hamish. I can imagine that it's a serene place in which to listen to music :)

Cheers matey, it is indeed!

jandl100
19-06-2011, 08:10
Hamish! - we differ yet again. :)

I have lots of pics and ornaments in my music and bed rooms - but you won't see any images of people - it's one of my 'things' - I hate having strangers sharing my living space, and that's the way images of people seem to me!

... just send the men in white coats 'round with a straitjacket - I won't put up a fight. :eyebrows: