PDA

View Full Version : My Brain Just Will Not Work, Head Up Arse Week

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
04-10-2008, 23:43
Hi All

If this post doesn’t make sense just ignore it, as I will be just mindlessly rambling on. Suppose I’d better explain;

I currently work for a company making Hydrogen and Liquefied CO2 from North Sea gas, using Steam Reformation. A great job, I work in a small team of just 7 guys, all good to work with, the down side is though I look after every thing electrical from the 11kV incoming supply to the 24V controls etc, I actually do very little of my trade. It’s mainly process control based.

The problem started when my old boss contacted me and has offered me job, (old company different name) it’s seriously interesting job too. Working back in Semi-Conductor manufacturing, GaAs technology. Where I know I am good at my job (that sounds bad but I don’t really mean it that way). Advantages are back doing my trade and a job I enjoy. Also a good pay raise was mentioned. T&C’s arrived and all seem good in fact very good.

Being an honest and open sort of guy I have said to my current employer I have a job offer in hand but no decision has been made, at which point I was offered a 7k pay raise to stay, I am not motivated by money so that’s not an issue it’s the job satisfaction bit that counts with me.

So a decision needs to be made, but which one, I’ve weighed up the pro’s and cons of both and though initially I was indecisive now I’m just not sure what to do.

My brain has refused to discuss the matter and just dives off on strange tangents to distract me – See Valve Bias Thread.

Still sat hear, and no further ahead with an answer. Any ideas guys. Even if it’s just to tell me to stop rambling on you old t**t :).

Stuff like this doesn’t normally bother me, but this is now just confusing the hell out of me.

Cheers All

Andy - SDDW

This is Red Wine induce ramble - with a serious side effect :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2008, 00:36
Well Donkey...............,

It's easy for someone like me (who doesn't know you, or anything about your life or commitments) to say this, but with regard to your career, you'll never regret doing what makes you feel right over what pays best (as long as you can cover the bills).

In my chosen industry (forestry management), no-one ever did it to get rich, but because they love the job. I strayed into a new field & got paid an obsene salary (no, really!!) for a few years & after some boardroom b****cks, ended up 'looking for new opportunities'. So I went back to what I love and what I am really very good at.

..........I think you know what I'm saying............

Cheers & good luck.

Puffin
05-10-2008, 06:39
You don't say how old you are, so maybe that doesn't figure in the equation. If job security is needed, then it may be the case of "better the devil you know". If you are basically financially secure, then "being the new boy" and "last in-first out" won't bother you either.

I gave up a secure well paid job in August to start a "dream" job. I walked out after 6 days! I have set myself up as self-employed doing basically what I was doing before. From the contacts I made before, I have got enough work for the next month. Haven't felt happier for years. I could not sustain long-term uncertainty, but am in the position where I can manage on less than what I was being paid before. Being happy at work is REALLY what counts. Thats why I knew within a few days of starting the new job that I wasn't going to be happy.

Primalsea
05-10-2008, 08:51
You can only go on what information you have today. Don't work on "What Ifs". If you do that you will base your decision on fear of change.

StanleyB
05-10-2008, 09:56
I had a good job designing new products and/or cheaper solutions that were as good as or better than more expensive ones. All went well for years, and then the company started doing business with some of the large retailers. Suddenly cheaper solutions did not mean better products. Instead of me designing things, I was writing reports on how to get Chinese manufacturers to make their cheap products work:scratch:. An example: did you know that the Chinese cannot test SCART products using their own domestic equipment? Nor can they test Freeview or ASTRA satellite based receivers 'on air'. So how do these guys know when they have a production fault? Well, they don't:mental:.
Anyhow, I digress. I got paid to just come in for two years. In the end I was offered redundancy or justify my position. I asked for a pay increase instead:lol:. Now I run my own business on lower pay, but I am far happier.

05-10-2008, 10:14
Hi Guys

Cheers for the replies, it has helped a lot. I am 48, fit and happy, job security would be good but know that any work in a manufacturing environment can be very volatile. The money issues are that both pay good wages, though the instant offer of a 7K pay raise was a shock to be honest.

Primalsea you are spot on with the quote that 'You can only go on what information you have today. Don't work on "What Ifs". If you do that you will base your decision on fear of change. ' I don't have a problem with change in fact on one occassion I have deliberately moved on to shake my self out of a mundane but safe work situation. The only problem with that one was the job was miss-sold to me and was vastly different to what I expected. So I was gone in just 10 days. The travel to work was great, it was in the mining industry underground in the deepest mine in Europe at the time. A 1500 kilometer drop in a lift at frightening fast speed and an 8 mile drive to the face works that are under the north sea, was quite fun really.

The prospect of being the new boy are ok with this one as I have worked for them before so we both know what to expect and I still keep on contact with the guys I will be working with - another added bonus.

The Grand Wazoo - oh how I envy your work, I bet it is not an easy job, but the fact of out doors and in the fresh air sounds great. If you knew me thats an good compliment as I am the least out doors type person you will ever come across, I've spent most of my time either up to my neck in heavy industry, dirt,crap down cellars or working 100m high 200 ton cranes and as a complete opposit working in a windowless fab in an air conditioned and de-humidified building while dressed like the anti-particle of the Klu-Klux Clan member ( white suit and hood with face mask - the face mask is so I don't frighten the other workers :lol: ).

Well after reading your posts and writing the drivel above I have made the desision to move on and take the new job offer back in Semi-Conductors. So if it all goes T**s up I can now say it's not my fault, and blame you lot :lol::lol:.

Cheers guys much appreciated and it helped talking to people who don't know me and are impartial

Andy - SDDW

P.S. Resignation letter to write now.:)

05-10-2008, 10:27
Hi Sensimilia

I agree totally with the go for the happy environment, or for you the selfemployed route. I've just starting my resignation letter now. Off to pastures old not new, but still happy. :dance:

Andy - SDDW

shane
05-10-2008, 11:21
Hmm. Not many wafer fabs left in the UK. Didn't know there were any GaAs ones, mind you I'm out of touch these days. I wonder which one you're going to? The last one I worked in was sold to the French last year for 1 Euro!. Mind you, it was the oldest in the country and looked it. Canon steppers will haunt me for ever.

If you enjoy it (and I can understand why you do) then go for it.

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2008, 11:40
[QUOTE=Sand Dancin Donkey Walker;19585]Hi Guys

The Grand Wazoo - oh how I envy your work, I bet it is not an easy job, but the fact of out doors and in the fresh air sounds great. If you knew me thats an good compliment as I am the least out doors type person you will ever come across, I've spent most of my time either up to my neck in heavy industry, dirt,crap down cellars or working 100m high 200 ton cranes and as a complete opposit working in a windowless fab in an air conditioned and de-humidified building while dressed like the anti-particle of the Klu-Klux Clan member ( white suit and hood with face mask - the face mask is so I don't frighten the other workers :lol: ).[QUOTE]

Actually, I'm not out of doors as much as I'd like nowadays, but the thing I love about my job is that I'm involved with something really worthwhile, that benefits everybody - and I like to get out in the woods when I can!

I know what you mean about heavy industry - my change of career meant I worked as a consultant at a coal fired power station. I earn less than half of what I was paid in that job, but I wouldn't go back for anything.

All the best with whatever you end up doing.

05-10-2008, 12:11
Hmm. Not many wafer fabs left in the UK. Didn't know there were any GaAs ones, mind you I'm out of touch these days. I wonder which one you're going to? The last one I worked in was sold to the French last year for 1 Euro!. Mind you, it was the oldest in the country and looked it. Canon steppers will haunt me for ever.

If you enjoy it (and I can understand why you do) then go for it.

Hi Shane

The company use to be Filtronic Compound Semi-Conductors in the North East, it has now been taken over by RFMD who are OEM suppliers to Nokia Motorola, Sony etc. but also do Optical and other secret stuff.

I've only ever worked on Nikon Steppers Body 9 & 11 and a couple of the newer NSR range machines, thought the opportunity to work with the MBE machines - Molecular Beam Epitaxy is a big pull to the new job. I have a lot of experience in Wet Etch too, dealing with high pressure and temperature Acids and Solvents.

Decision definitely made to go :) .

Cheers all

Andy - SDDW

shane
05-10-2008, 13:02
I worked at what was originally the Plessey fab in Roborough, which ended up as Xfab UK. The best time was as a photo process engineer, but foolishly I went into layout and device engineering, and was promptly made redundant before I got the hang of it. Now I sell mortgages instead, which may not have been the wisest choice...

05-10-2008, 13:30
Hi Shane

Photo Process Engineer, not an easy job in the least that one. You'll remeber the frustration of getting the process correct as it affects all the other stages in the construction of the devices. Photo the hub of the Fab.

Your job only made more difficult by the Equipment Techs not wanting to make the machine changes you want and acting like kids. Nearly describing myself there :lol:

Well I'll give this volatile industry another go.

Andy - SDDW

shane
05-10-2008, 13:36
Ah, The delights of managing a hundred or so SPC charts. Not..

05-10-2008, 13:41
Bloodly hell, forgot about SPC. I think I blotted it out from my memory as distant nightmare.

You've just pointed out the first negative to the job :).

Andy - SDDW

greenhomeelectronics
06-10-2008, 17:39
Well I used to have a job that paid over 10 times what I make now and I hated every last bloody minute of it. If you can make a decent living going back to the job you love then do it, you only get one life.
Just my 2p worth, best of luck with whatever you do.
Dave.

Marco
06-10-2008, 18:09
Absolutely spot on, Dave! This is my philosophy entirely. There's much, much more to life than money. Job satisfaction, family, and quality of life to name but three...

Marco.

06-10-2008, 19:40
Hi Guys

Well I handed my notice in this morning, the lads I work with are all very supportive and wished me all the best, 3 of them phoned in to wish me luck. I work in a small team of 7 guys (2 on long term sick at the moment) with only 11 people in total on site.

When I told the office administrator she bust into tears and nearly set me off too (the soft git I am).

Had a meeting with the boss and give him my honest opinions and reasons for leaving which were mainly the lack of doing my trade, Electrical Maintenance and he appreciated that. But also that all the shifts I did in July nearly killed me, in 28 days I did 21, 12Hr shifts and August wasn't too much better.

So it's off to pastures new and very much looking forward to it all. My parting gift to them is I have agreed to work a 5 week notice period to help out a touch, much too kind of me :)

Cheers for all your comments guys

Andy - SDDW

Puffin
06-10-2008, 19:58
Good Luck.

07-10-2008, 05:05
Cheers Puffin

09-11-2008, 11:35
Hi Guys

Just a quick update. I have done my last shift at AP, which was nice and quiet, though the last 4 weeks have been an absolute nightmare with absolutely no time for anything but work. At AP I was paid a month in advance where at my new job will be paid a month in arrears, so I was not expecting any wage for 8 weeks ( a bloody long time that is ). When I received my final wage which should have just covered remaining hols and 4 days pay, the total amounted to equal to my normal wage. So the extra was just of O/T payments, that proves how much I have done in the last month, and I'm absolutely knackered. Again 12 days and 9, 12Hr shifts.

Well one era has finished and another about to start, looking forward to Monday morning. Will let you know how it all goes. Hopefully I will now have a touch more time to spend on the forum have a few posts to make, one for a touch of advice and another a timely reminder for people.

Cheers again for all your previous posts they did help

Andy - SDDW

11-11-2008, 18:02
Hi Guys

Well I've just finished my second day at RFMD. I can confidently say it was the right move for me. I've had a great reception from all the old faces and the Engineer has been most accommodating, I start back on my old shift tomorrow and he is allowing me to book my first 2 days in as O/T, not bad at all, 2 days in my new job and 16Hr O/T already.

I have even got my old office desk back, when I checked the draws I have found my original bunch of work keys, my business card file and all my old diaries, IT have retrieved my old 'e' mails and contacts for me and put them back in Outlook. It's definitely strange coming across your old gear, especially when you imagined it would have hit the bin soon after leaving.

The right choice was made and time to settle down and get to grips with the machines again, strangely enough I had no problems with a bit of Wafer retrieval today but completely forgot how to do a reasonably easy chemical exchange.

Cheers all for your input in the past, I am now one happy bunny. :)

Andy - SDDW

greenhomeelectronics
11-11-2008, 20:41
Best of luck to you Andy, have a virtual beer on me.
Dave.

shane
11-11-2008, 21:10
completely forgot how to do a reasonably easy chemical exchange.

Now I remember why I changed from diffusion to photo. All those chemicals scared the crap out of me! HF burns? No thanks...

Glad it's gone well for you!

22-11-2008, 10:04
Left a good job on the Friday and started new job on 10/11 been there 4 days and on the 5th RFMD ( now known as the 'Piece of Shit American Company') announce 99 redundancies which is 45% of the work force, Looks like they only wanted the intellectual rights to a special process and now have moved it to the US,

So Left one good job 5 days later have no job. That was a Friday so Saturday have a really bad guts day, by Sunday I'm in absolute serious pain, so off to A&E as suggested by my doctor, admitted with a temp of 39.7 and a massive Bacterial blood infection seems after Ultra Sound, and CT scans I have a burst Diverticuli. This is a pouch or loop in my Colon which has bust into my stomach cavity and most very fortuetly sealed again, so been in hospital a week. Only just realising after a long conversation with the consultant that I have been a very lucky boy in deed, If I hadn't got someone staying with me at the time and they called the doctor for me I'm not sure I would have done it my self as I usually live on my own.

All better now I think, but home at least, so my luck over the last week or so is well down. :)

So to my question is it worth while putting the Lottery on tonight or not, anyone wishing to know my Lottery numbers so as to NOT put these on please PM me and I'll let you know. :lol:

Andy - SDDW

shane
22-11-2008, 21:54
Absolute sh*t, and typical of the industry, you have my deepest sympathy mate. If it's of any interest, Xfab Plymouth currently have vacancies for Diffusion equipment and process engineers. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you a link to the adverts.

22-11-2008, 22:23
Absolute sh*t, and typical of the industry, you have my deepest sympathy mate. If it's of any interest, Xfab Plymouth currently have vacancies for Diffusion equipment and process engineers. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you a link to the adverts.

Hi Shane

Cheers for that, I have a meeting with my old boss on Tuesday which he has only just confirmed in the last hour, so will wait and see how that goes, really am not sure what he has to say but have to go and find out. I won't let myself think too much about it until I'm there. Though I have done all the what If's and have plans ready for most eventualities. Will see how it all pans out.

Again cheers for the support, I'll post something when I know, just for info not only did my Lottery number not come out, my online ticket had run out last week, you couldn't make this stuff up, 'what ever' - that's life and I'll cope :)

Andy - SDDW

shane
22-11-2008, 22:33
Good luck for Tuesday!

Mike
23-11-2008, 00:04
Bloody hell Andy!

Sounds like you've been having a bit of a time of it!
Hope things are improving on the health front, and I hope everything turns out for the best on Tuesday.

Good luck....

23-11-2008, 09:26
Cheers for your good wishes guys, will wait and see how Tuesday pans out.

Mike We'll have to sort out another visit sometime, when stuff is more settled.

Andy - SDDW

25-11-2008, 22:11
Hi Guys

I have this afternoon been back to see my original boss, the chat went very well and he has just confirmed this evening that I can have my old job back with original conditions, with the exception that my service starts from day 1 again. I don't have a problem with that, it's just good to have good work again. There have been no objections for the shift team and all are pleased to see me return. Well at least they didn't throw stuff at me when I walked in to the control room.:)

Hopefully I can now have a new start at life and go on from here, all I need now is a period of stability.

I might even put the lottery this week. :lol:

Cheers all for your support

Andy - SDDW

shane
25-11-2008, 22:25
Result! Glad it's all worked out for you.

What lottery numbers are you using....

Filterlab
25-11-2008, 23:00
Hi Guys

I have this afternoon been back to see my original boss, the chat went very well and he has just confirmed this evening that I can have my old job back with original conditions, with the exception that my service starts from day 1 again. I don't have a problem with that, it's just good to have good work again. There have been no objections for the shift team and all are pleased to see me return. Well at least they didn't throw stuff at me when I walked in to the control room.:)

Hopefully I can now have a new start at life and go on from here, all I need now is a period of stability.

I might even put the lottery this week. :lol:

Cheers all for your support

Andy - SDDW

Andy; that's fantastic news mate, glad to hear that all will get back on track. Next round is on you then. ;)

:cool: :glug: :drinking: :beer:

25-11-2008, 23:18
Hi Filterlab

Cheers for the comments, and I'll buy you a pint or 2 for definite, lets hope we can get together sometime and it will be my pleasure.

As an after thought I have been considering a Bake Off of sorts but have been unsure of the reaction, so when I know where I am treading I think I'll bit the bullet and see what the response is. Any comment please let me know.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
25-11-2008, 23:21
Sounds like a good idea mate, whereabouts are you located? I think a get together is always good (except when work gets in the way), post it up and gauge the reaction. Probably best plan it for mid-January onwards really, Chrimbo does tend to get in the way too! :)

Anyway, I'm pleased for you mate.

25-11-2008, 23:34
Hi All

I am in the Seaside town of Redcar, just south of Middlesbrough, with very easy access from major roads. Shian7 lives close by, 5 - 6 people would be ideal with a bit of seat swapping, I could have room for a couple of people to stay over but it would be on the sofa's. If someone is traveling by train I can pick up from Darlington which is on the main North East Coast line.

January would be best, will get started back at work and see what my shift rota looks like then post from there, though any initial interest please let me know

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
25-11-2008, 23:44
:) I'd be up for that! At the moment have five valve amps I could bring,as well as an Audio-Note dac.Speakers would be a problem as they are a two man lift.Stan has kindly given me the details of mod21 and I should have it done by then,so could bring a modded Beresford too.

26-11-2008, 00:12
:) I'd be up for that! At the moment have five valve amps I could bring,as well as an Audio-Note dac.Speakers would be a problem as they are a two man lift.Stan has kindly given me the details of mod21 and I should have it done by then,so could bring a modded Beresford too.

The amps and DAC's etc would be fine, but speakers could pose a problem due to the size and fairly move unfriendly nature of my Dali's though that's not an insurmountable problem. Sounds like it could be fun. Looking forward to it.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
26-11-2008, 10:06
Yep, count me in mate. :)

26-11-2008, 11:08

Great look forward to meeting you when we can get something arranged, will be my pleasure to buy you a couple of drinks.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
26-11-2008, 13:21
...will be my pleasure to buy you a couple of drinks.

That's two more excellent reasons to make the journey! :lol:

Puffin
26-11-2008, 19:00
Bloody Hell, I've been away too long from this forum. I am really glad that you are back on your feet and that you have your old job back. It's at times like these that the good guys you meet over the years really come into their own

As I said in my previous post I gave up a secure job to do something amazing. I was a writer at hifi News for 6 days! (check the November issue, Emille Valve amp review was mine, all the news items and the Super Second System) after which I walked out (don't ask). I have been freelancing for some people I worked with some years ago and they are about to offer me a permanent position.

As Jimmy Greaves said "its a funny old game". Wish I lived nearer I would have tried to make the bake-off.

26-11-2008, 19:15
Hi Puffin

Cheers for your comments, much appreciated, as you say it's nice to have good people around you at times.

How did you like the Emille amp I've had chance to listen to the KI120 and KI40 amps, very impressed indeed but I thought the Phono stage was an absolute belter. If I didn't have my current phono I'd be buying the Emille one.

As for the Bake Off (odd term that one). if you can get to Darlington train station I'd be able to pick people up from there, on probs.

Nice to hear you could be getting something permanent out of your work, that bit extra security means quite a bit. Good Luck

Andy - SDDW

Puffin
26-11-2008, 20:09
Hi Andy,

I thought the Emille was decidedly average. In fact I managed to blow one of the KT77's when gving it a bit of welly, and that's with 96dB horns! It measured at only 30 watts per channel in reality. I attach a link to MY article.
http://www.emillelabs.com/en/images/news/P053_HIFI_NOV08_EMILLE1.pdf

Unfortunately I think Darlington is not going to be possible. Thanks for the offer.

Marco
26-11-2008, 21:10

Hahaha, aye right, heard it! From Roberta the serial party truant :lol:

On your way up, you can pass by me too, then :smoking:

If you arrive I'll know that pixies actually exist! :lolsign:

Marco.

26-11-2008, 21:22
Hi Puffin

Interesting read, I didn't have much trouble driving my Dali's to more than reasonable levels, though the Power O/P seemed ok, I certainly can't guess or measure it. Though I did really enjoy my time with it, and would have bought one, same goes for the phono. We all enjoy different things and that's what makes this hobby/interest/ past time so enjoyable and interesting.

Given the chance I'll have to try and get another listen to it, your article gave me food for thought, if that makes any sense.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
26-11-2008, 21:32

Marco.

Oi!.... Calm down! Rob could get a nose bleed this far north! ;)

Anyway, your good self and Del are more than welcome, this has the makings of a cracking weekend! :)

Filterlab
26-11-2008, 21:51

Marco.

Tell me about it mate, however if it's in the new year it shouldn't be a problem (allegedly), more often that not, as you well know, I have to cancel last minute due to work. Still, that's life. When I win the lottery I'll be round your house every weekend. ;)

Marco
26-11-2008, 22:03
Hehehe... Sell that picture of you in your little shorts to certain magazines and you'll be well on your way! :eyebrows:

Mike has got it as his screen saver ;)

Marco.

Mike
26-11-2008, 22:05
Mike has got it as his screen saver ;)

Oi!... speak for yerself ya big gay freak! ;)

Marco
26-11-2008, 22:09
Hahahahaha... Shut it or I'll make you wear Steve's pish catchers on yer nut :ner:

Marco.

28-11-2008, 14:28
Hi Guys

Hopefully this is the last instalment of my thread, I have received my start date back at AP. Which is 8/12/08. Really looking forward to it and a period of piece and quite.

When I get my shifts sorted for next year I will post a separate thread regarding the bake off at the Donkey Stables, look forward to meeting some of you.

Take care all and cheers for your support much appreciated. :)

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
28-11-2008, 14:32
Nice one Andy, enjoy getting back into it. :)

17-01-2009, 09:40
Hi All

Well I had hoped that post No51 was the final chapter, how wrong I was.

On the medical front I have had my final checks and all is ok, had the really fun (poor choice of word) of a Metre long camera taking pictures
- I'm sure you can guess where. I even have the photo's to prove it :), anyone want to see them, on second thoughts you had better not, you all seem such a sensitive bunch :lol:

Anyway, had been home about a couple of hours after the procedure which involved an anaesthetic (don't remember a thing, thank god) and I get a phone call from work, conversation as follows; (head and thoughts at this time still a touch hazy)

Andy - Hello

Pete - Andy It's Pete

Andy - Hi Pete, how you doin'

Pete - Have you heeard the news,

Andy - What News

Pete - Invista are shuting down (company we supply Hyrdrogen to) and we are going as well.

Andy - Ho S**t. Call ended.

So Been back to Air Products 7 weeks and we're on the job hunt again. I'll not get any payoff so back to the recruiting agencies of which I have little faith in and the local papers. Also made a few cold calls which may result in something after they receive my CV.

So in 3 days have made 7 job applications, lets see what the next couple of weeks bring :)

Does anyone still want my Lottery numbers, I'm sure it would be a waste of money with my current luck.

Ho the joys of life, still good job it doesn't get me down, always seen the positive things in life.

Andy - SDW

Mike
17-01-2009, 12:04
My sympathies Andy. :(

It seems to be the season for it. VM have announced 2200 jobs are to go and we're (our dept') all expecting to be told we're 'at risk' and put on 90 days notice any time now.

On top of that my wife went back to work after the Xmas break and they were all told there will be job cuts too! She should find out next week.

Happy New Year everyone! :doh:

Spectral Morn
17-01-2009, 13:16
Hi Andy

On the medical front I have had my final checks and all is ok, had the really fun (poor choice of word) of a Metre long camera taking pictures
- I'm sure you can guess where. I even have the photo's to prove it , anyone want to see them, on second thoughts you had better not, you all seem such a sensitive bunch

Been there, I once had non specific colitis. All better now Thank God.

I am really sorry to hear about your job. I know how it feels (I am there too). Lets hope you and I find a Job soon.

Hi Mike

On top of that my wife went back to work after the Xmas break and they were all told there will be job cuts too! She should find out next week.

Sorry to here about where your wife works. Hopefully the shadow of redundancy will pass over her. But its crap for whoever it falls on :(:steam:

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Mike
17-01-2009, 13:22
Sorry to here about where your wife works.

I didn't say where she works! ;) [I know what you meant though]

She works in a school, BTW.... Err, at least she does at the moment. :scratch:

Beechwoods
17-01-2009, 13:29
Really sorry to hear about this SDDW. And Mike. Jeez, and everyone under threat or looking for work at the moment. Best wishes from me. Keep us posted.

Ali Tait
17-01-2009, 13:51
Sorry from me too chaps.Looks like hard times ahead for most of us.

Spectral Morn
17-01-2009, 14:16
Hi Puffin

As I said in my previous post I gave up a secure job to do something amazing. I was a writer at hifi News for 6 days! (check the November issue, Emille Valve amp review was mine, all the news items and the Super Second System) after which I walked out (don't ask).

I have only just read this thread. Nice reviewing style Hi-fi News Review Team ? I have heard it can be a hard place to work.;)

Regards D S D L----Neil

17-01-2009, 18:16
Cheers all for you comments and wishes, I know it's not just me and my personel good luck to both Mike and DSDL.

I think sometimes writing this down can be quite a cathartic (psychotherapeutic or emotionally beneficial) experience. Will let you know how it all turns out, Mike if I hear of any positions going will pass on the info to you.

Well I'm back at AP in the morning, not much interest really but will go and do my bit, as normal. But feel I'll be just maintainig the job rather than getting on with my projects etc.

Cheers All

Andy - SDDW

anthonyTD
17-01-2009, 19:54
you have my sympathy too guys.
its getting to be a real worrying time for a lot at the moment,:(lets hope there's light at the end of the tunnel soon,:) good luck all.
regards,anthony,TD...

20-01-2009, 23:16
Well Guys

I have bored the pants off you all with the 'Speaker Itch' thread may as well continue with this one too.

I have joined the 'Job Hunt Merry Go Round' I have come to the decision that given the chance I will leave Ap if I get offered a job that interests me, I won't get a payoff and only 4 weeks notice so nothing to lose by an early exit. Later in the year I may not be as picky, that's assuming I get offered anything at all.

Having done the usual thing and registered with the various job sites and agencies, there appears to be a number of interesting positions around. Mostly it appears in the Food Industry?? so please don't stop eating, I could need you all to turn into Billy Bunter types.

Anyway the first moves have been made, we'll now just wait and see.

If you are all getting a touch tired of this just tell me to shut up. I won't be offended, really :)

More offerings later from the 'Full of S**t Donkey Stable' :lol:

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
21-01-2009, 00:01
I have joined the 'Job Hunt Merry Go Round' I have come to the decision that given the chance I will leave Ap if I get offered a job that interests me, I won't get a payoff and only 4 weeks notice so nothing to lose by an early exit. Later in the year I may not be as picky, that's assuming I get offered anything at all.

I would not go to soon. Certainly not before time.

Having done the usual thing and registered with the various job sites and agencies, there appears to be a number of interesting positions around. Mostly it appears in the Food Industry?? so please don't stop eating, I could need you all to turn into Billy Bunter types.
Anyway the first moves have been made, we'll now just wait and see.

Seems to be for spotty kids still in school.... or students.

If you are all getting a touch tired of this just tell me to shut up. I won't be offended, really :)

NO keep it lit, and keep posting.

More offerings later from the 'Full of S**t Donkey Stable' :lol:

[Andy - SDDW

Hi Andy

No, I don't think any of us are feed up with either of your threads, so keep them going. I would not leave your job early, its easier to get a job when in one, or so they say. I found my self out on my ear when I came back from a weeks holiday. " I want a fresh start" is what I was told "i'll pay you your redundancy and your pay but I want you to go today" This was three weeks (I was on 5 weeks notice) early. It felt like I was being sacked :steam:. I know I was hardly a ray of joy :(, and the guy who was getting to keep his job certainly took a few scowls from me, but to be told to go, was awful. I am sorry my unhappiness made him uncomfortable. So the three weeks( I had left) became one day. I had tried to clear up and had more or less finished, but I had so much more I wanted to sort before I left. I never got the chance....

Any way I to am on the great job hunt, boy there is little out there...Unlike you I am not trying the agency thing tried that last time,(1995) and it was a total waste of time. The reason I suggested not to give up your work early is that, while you might think it will be okay in the short term, it may cause you issues later. The idea of three weeks extra paid holiday did not sit well with me and it hurt badly. I know my circumstances are different but ...... I just hope we all get sorted soon. This Forum is a real life saver for me...With out it I don't know....I need something... It may be the same for you so keep the threads going.

Regards D S D L----Neil :(

21-01-2009, 00:20
Hi Neil

Bad luck with being pushed out early, it must have been really bad for you. I should be ok for a couple of months yet, so although I'm looking I do have the slight advantage of I do have a time buffer.

I will only go for the right job, but as I noted when time gets short I may not be as picky.

What sort of work are you looking for, I come from an Electrical Engineering background, I seem to have found a couple of search sites that seem fairly useful. When I get home I'll post the links, they seem to cover a wide range of job searches, with any luck they may be of use to you.

I do think the forum is great for all sorts of reasons, but yes it is good to write stuff down, be it music related or more personal. Usually the more serious it is the lighter hearted the posts seem to get, I'm sure there is a good reason why we do this.

Lets hope we both and all the others with similar issues get some sort of luck soon. Keep your chin up and post whenever you feel the need.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
21-01-2009, 00:32
HI Andy

I have been in retail since about 1989, mostly Audio (with a period in brown goods ). My plans had been to teach art and do jewelery design/making in the evenings. But the lure of hi-fi and a job as a Saturday boy in a local shop shifted my plans... So my last Job was as a manager of an audio shop(name to remain nameless). I loved my job (about 95%)of the time, and I miss it big time. Unlike you I don't have a trade that is much in demand. As people aren't spending much on audio now(or are they?). I have applied for some management type jobs with Charity shops(I would like to make money for a good cause and help people out rather than line someones pockets). so far no luck. Just applied for another, we shall see what happens. Oh yes and writing, maybe .....? I have reignited my love for writing. I used to write a lot when I was in school but stopped. About a year or so ago I started again. We shall see....if anything comes of it.

StanleyB
21-01-2009, 08:33
I got made redundant in 2005. I decided from day one that I was going to use my redundancy pay to start my own business. I didn't want to borrow from the bank. It took me a while to get sales that could keep me afloat, and now I am a lot happier.

I hope my circumstance is an inspiration for one or more of you.

Stan

Mike
21-01-2009, 16:31
Nice one Stan!

Speaking for myself, self-employment would be the only way forward should the axe fall.

I can't see any way I'd be able to maintain anything like my current income, which is only slightly above the national average, without some form of retraining and setting out alone. Not sure what I'd do at the moment, possibly sparky or plumber or whatever. Dunno, but it's a subject I seem to think about a lot lately! :scratch:

At least if I'm pushed out I'll walk away with some cash and I've got insurance in place that will protect me for a year. That should at least give me a fighting chance of sorting something out.

27-01-2009, 11:39
A quick update to keep you all amused.

Although Air Products have not yet issued our 90 days notice, they have agreed already to pay me 14 Weeks wages when it does happen, thought I have to be still employed by them at the time of notice. Which is good news and fair play to AP.

On the job front, have been searching the usual sites and registered with a few of the agencies, had some good responses so far and a couple of hopefully good prospects on the way.

What has surprised me is the bigger of the agencies have not called or replied to any of my enquiries or applications, yet the small concerns have been in touch and seem far more interested.

Example; applied for a job on line last night at 20:00 and had a call this morning at 09:00, looks like I'll get a site visit and informal interview next week.

Let’s hope things turn out well, though for the sake of continuation of employment I will leave AP before any redundancy notice and forgo any payoff. On the grounds that sometime soon fairly local to me Nissan are paying off 1500 people and there are 400 employees going at another site close by, so I could do with getting sorted in reasonable time.

Andy - SDDW

aquapiranha
27-01-2009, 11:52
Good Luck with the search Andy.

09-02-2009, 17:58
Hi All

A quick update for you, things have been a touch quiet lately, applied for plenty of jobs, some over my head but you have to try. The agencies are still slow to respond to your applications, that or completely ignore them. A few still to hear from but the end application dates are not up yet.

One thing I have now noticed is the number of jobs advertised that are now not available but still on the recruiter sites, are things that bad for them too??

Anyway got an interview in York on Thursday, true to form the only day this week I would have been at work during the day, the lads have been great and I now have a volunteer to do my shift. So off to York. It's about an hours drive away, a bit far but the job looks good and the pay is good too. So I've 2 hours of tests and interview, will wait and see how it plays out.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
09-02-2009, 18:14
Best of luck mate... Hope it goes well!

:goodluck:

09-02-2009, 19:55
Cheers Mike, will let you know how it goes Thursday evening.
2 hours of tests and interview. If there's a chocolate eating test, should pass that OK :lolsign:
Andy - SDDW

Marco
09-02-2009, 20:26
Best of luck from me, too, Andy - knock 'em dead! :)

Marco.

09-02-2009, 20:40
Cheers Marco

When I eventually get myself sorted out with a stable job (does that really exist) I will organise the Bake Off I mentioned and it'll be beer on me - as the saying goes.

Lets hope I can do some of this :cool::cool:

Spectral Morn
09-02-2009, 20:51
Good Luck ANDY

Regards D S D L---Neil

Marco
09-02-2009, 21:02
Cheers Marco

When I eventually get myself sorted out with a stable job (does that really exist) I will organise the Bake Off I mentioned and it'll be beer on me - as the saying goes.

Lets hope I can do some of this :cool::cool:

Big time, dude - I'll look forward to that! :glug: :gig: :drinking: :drunk:

Marco.

Mike
13-02-2009, 23:34
Any update?

Hope it went well Andy. :)

13-02-2009, 23:57
Well All

Set off Thursday morning in the snow to York for my interview, snowed all the way there and didn't let up at all. Great fun, though the drive was quite straight forward (best way for a car to go I suppose :)).

Arrived in good time, when I was collected from reception I found out the whole thing was at that stage, only an interview with the recruiting agency, which also involved about an hour or so of Mechanical, Isometric and Maths questions in a formal test environment. Great fun that was, and surprisingly difficult.

Will find out Monday if I am accepted for the next stage of selection (not too hopeful at the moment). There would then follow,

1/ Interview with a Production Manager,
2/ Interview with an Electrical Engineer including a trade test,
3/ Site visit
4/ Medical

Not sure how far I will get but they are certainly very careful in their selection process.

Just found another job advertised today that also looks a good prospect, made contact with the agency and I'll get an initial telephone interview sometime during next week.

So although there is not much available job wise, at least I am making some progress. Going to take a glance at working abroad, though that wouldn't be my first choice.

Will keep you informed, for amusement purposes only.

Andy - SDDW

Please ignore grammatical and punctuation errors as I’m shit at English. Good job there was no English aspect to the tests of yesterday.

Mike
14-02-2009, 00:08
Oh. It's 'great' when you go through those sort of hoops ain't it. Not!

I remember trudging off to Derby for one of those interviews, with an Australian, an American Swiss, and a German. That was, err, an experience!

Any sort of 'self employment' type opportunities you can consider? :(

14-02-2009, 00:24
I remember trudging off to Derby for one of those interviews, with an Australian, an American Swiss, and a German. That was, err, an experience!

Any sort of 'self employment' type opportunities you can consider? :(

Mike I was expecting you to give a punch line with that quote, sort of on the line of 'There was this Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman' :lol:

No racial insults intend with the above statement.

As for any Self Employment oppertunities, the problem as I see it is, I need to earn a living from the word GO. Can't realistically see a new venture doing that for me, without decent backing (money) from somewhere, I certainly don't have it. Most of my money is sat in the living room, it makes lovely noises but I can't get it to go out and earn a living :eyebrows:.

Still lots to think about and consider, so haven't closed any doors (as they say) yet. In fact I have far too much to consider, my simple brain just can't cope with it. (now we're back to the original start to the thread)

I'll wait and see how the next couple of weeks go, AP haven't given me my notice period yet so I have a bit more time to consider my options.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
03-03-2009, 19:02
HI Andy

Just wondered how things are going. How did you do at the interview ?

I recently got offered an interview for a job as Shop Manager at a S/H cd,games etc shop. Talk about jumping through hoops they wanted a 20 min swot presentation on a lap top plus a one hour interview. I withdrew from the application. There was no way I could have done well enough at this to have got the gig. I could have got the companies trading records and their local competitors, but as I don't know the ins and outs of the day to day running of the shop or indeed the details of that trade I felt I was on battering to no where. The shops the size of my living room (long and thin but tiny for a shop). The owner had rented a local hotel suite to conduct interviews. Ummmm.

I am not a business graduate but got to be a manager through my practical skills. Never had to do a swot in my life before.

Oh...well something will turn up.

Hope things are going well.

03-03-2009, 20:58
Hi Neil

Cheers for your interest, just realised that one of my posts has disappeared, probably when the forum was hacked, anyway hears the current update.

The Nestle job has gone, though I did well on the tests and interview non of the 4 candidates progressed any further in the selection process, apparently they are now insisting on full FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) experience. So that ones dead in the water as they say.

The other good prospect which should have initially been a telephone interview has never surfaced, on contacting the recruiter, the company involved has put everything on hold for the foreseeable future.

There are a couple of other prospect in line, but they are still in the selection process or the date for CV applications is not up yet.

My general feeling from talking to a number of recruiters is any one or more of the following statements;

The advertised positions on a lot of sites have actually been filled and the adverts are there now to make the site look good and appear to have reasonable prospects. Which they don't.
The advertised positions have still not been filled as the companies have put on hold any active recruitment.
There are also significantly greater number of applicants to the now apparently fewer positions advertised.
In my experience also recruiters are not very good at either contacting you after an initial application through their sites or returning calls.
The funny one is that any number of agencies have the same position advertised, I think I applied for one particular job at least 4 times - and still didn't get anywhere. :)
So there we are, still no further forward but still not down and beaten. Though I have come to realise that finding a job is not going to be easy and there is a very real possibility that I will soon be unemployed for the first time in my life. I must admit I have been very lucky in my working life so I shouldn't be too disheartened.

I'll get somewhere soon, I refuse to be beaten. Hope the post is not too negative as that is not how I really feel.

Will keep you up to date as and when stuff happens, there's still plenty out there for me, it's just finding it .

One prospect I will have to look more closely at is working away, don't particularly wish to do that but will if the right position comes up.

Cheers all,

Andy - SDDW

03-03-2009, 21:09
Neil

I think a lot of companies are now looking for something that is not really there, they are missing out on natural talent and proven abilities rather than asking for the qualifications that in some respects don't give the indication of being able to do a job effectively. I have seen jobs advertised that want degree quals and pay that an apprentice would expect. I think some also just want to see applicants jump through hoops for their amusement, rather than any real desire to see how well an applicant can perform at a give task or situation.

Good luck in your and our search for work, we'll get there sometime soon I believe.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
03-03-2009, 22:05
Neil

I think a lot of companies are now looking for something that is not really there, they are missing out on natural talent and proven abilities rather than asking for the qualifications that in some respects don't give the indication of being able to do a job effectively. I have seen jobs advertised that want degree quals and pay that an apprentice would expect. I think some also just want to see applicants jump through hoops for their amusement, rather than any real desire to see how well an applicant can perform at a give task or situation.

Good luck in your and our search for work, we'll get there sometime soon I believe.

Andy - SDDW

Yes I know what you mean about hoops. I suppose faced with a lot more applicants they want to reduce the numbers...but I hate it went employers are not honest about what they really want in their job advets....Business Graduates who are into music, gaming etc....would have been more like it errrrrrh.:(

Yes good luck to both of us.

11-03-2009, 01:30
An update on current situation.

Had a nightmare of a shift last night, been at work all of an hour when the lights went out. Double checked I hadn't fallen asleep, pinched my arm and I was most definately awake. All hell let loose a total plant shutdown, great fun, caused by a power dip. Has taken the lads 24 Hours to bring it back up, I'm now left with a very twitchy plant and a nervous me in charge.

Anyway on the work front, only been in bed less than an hour Tuesday morning when the phone rings, half asleep I am talking to one of the numerous recruitment agencies. I then realised I was been offered an interview at short notice, Wednesday afternoon. So I get home by 8 ish this morning -- Wednesday -- then off to an interview by 13:00. Will have to be up to speed by then, will do some research about the company tonight and hope to blag it through in the afternoon.

The wage is not good, though the job description reads well. As there is no change here at AP I will have to seriously consider it - If the job is offered in the first place that is???

Will let you know how it turns out.

Andy - SDDW

StanleyB
11-03-2009, 08:27
I frequently wonder about the intelligence of the human resources managers who dream up the required qualifications and the multiple pages of duties an applicant has to be able to do. In my previous job I was managing 5 departments at one stage, but earning less than 80% of the people I was in charge of!

11-03-2009, 11:42
I frequently wonder about the intelligence of the human resources managers who dream up the required qualifications and the multiple pages of duties an applicant has to be able to do. In my previous job I was managing 5 departments at one stage, but earning less than 80% of the people I was in charge of!

How right you are, the other amusing aspect to Human wreck Managers - sorry should read Human Resource Managers is the imaginative job title descriptions they give out. :)

It could be a whole new thread on it's own that one - Lawn Technician - springs to mind. Errr don't they cut the grass??:doh: sorry to all you Lawn Technicians out there, just some cheap fun from me.

Well the nightmare shift didn't let up, didn't get home until 09:00 this morning. Having spent 14 Hour there, 2 hours kip and I'm up with the thought of the interview in 2.5 hours.

It is definitely weird how your mind works when it's tired, I have been chasing my tail at work looking for the cause to multiple and unrelated (or so I thought) temperature issues. I focused my mind on the temperature problems but didn't realise if I had been more thoughtful and started to think of the issue in terms of Mass Flow I would have got a lot further. Any way the day shift guy has a good start and hopefully will get somewhere that I didn't.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
11-03-2009, 14:10
Hi Andy

I too have an interview tomorrow, Thursday. Should go okay...I hope. Its for a brown goods sales position ( something I did for 5 years elsewhere) with a company I know a bit.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hope yours goes well....good luck.

Regards D S D L

shane
11-03-2009, 14:22
Shortly after my last contribution to this thread the mortgage business went tits-up, so I'm now that polite person who tells you why your bill is so high when you dial the helpdesk on your Orange mobile phone.

It beats poverty. Just.

11-03-2009, 17:33
Hi Shane

The financial sector has really taken a battering of late, and as usual it's the people on the ground floor or those that represent the face of the company that suffer earliest and most. Not usually the managers or high staff. Hope things improve for you soon.

Good luck for Thursday DSDL, something has to go well soon for you, this could just be the one. I presume Brown goods are clothing and stuff or food, not sure really. Go there with confidence and you'll win them over I'm sure.

Well I wasn't going to say this; but after a nearly 2 hour interview and plant visit, this is the job I would like to get, now I've said it I won't get the offer. It's a chance to get in early as the plant is near completion and get involved with machine installations and initial setup. Appeals greatly to me, the piss poor wage is (allegedly) only temporary while the plant get up and running.

I will now have to wait until early next week to find out if I get to the second interview.

Walking through the door after my interview I notice a letter jammed in the letter box, this on is an invitation for interview at the local Nuclear Power Station. If I were to get that job, no more Electricity Bill, Glow in the dark Andy :) though I will have to be careful and wear my lead line underwear as things are supposed to drop off after to much exposure :lol:.

Take care all, and luck to all those seeking work.

Andy - SDDW

Beechwoods
12-03-2009, 20:08
Good luck Andy - it sounds like things just might be on the up for you :)

12-03-2009, 20:21
Good luck Andy - it sounds like things just might be on the up for you :)

Cheers Beechy, I hope things are beginning to turn at last too. Though I can't believe how slow things are. Will keep you up to date as and when they happen.

I've said this before but writing this stuff down is quite cathartic, as I am single at the moment, you don't always get the chance to talk things out with someone, so this is really quite good for me. A bit of a reality check and a pause for reflection. Hope you're not all too board with it all. I'll keep it up anyway.

DSDL - How did your interview go, give us the details. Daft question but you will have to clarify 'Brown Goods' are, hope it has nothing to do with soiled undergarments :lol:.

Cheers All,

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
12-03-2009, 22:29
Hi Andy

Brown goods = TV, Dvd, Video, Camcorders etc.

White Goods= Washing machines, toasters etc.

I suppose one set is for the kitchen the other electrical goods for the rest of the house. Hi-Fi is a brown good. However I like your idea. Would sir like horse, dog or cat shit in ones trousers....I can hardly type for laughing.

The interview went...hard to say. It was ok. The questions were ok..but I should have visited the store before going to the interview, but it didn't happen when I had planned...I felt ill that day...oh well. I wont say any more here in case anyones reading ? But thanks for asking.

Regards Neil

shane
13-03-2009, 08:07
Back in the fifties when the phrase originated, TVs, Radiograms, Hifi consoles and Wharfedale SFBs came in beautiful wooden cabinets, and were therefore brown. Washing machines, fridges, cookers and Kenwood Chefs were white. Hence brown goods and white goods.

25-03-2009, 20:43
Job hunt update;

A bit has been happening since my last post. At long last I’ve been getting some interviews, surprising how they all come at once – a bit like buses. To my total surprise they are all good jobs and would be very happy with any of them, if the opportunity comes my way.

· Local Logistics company – Been for the interview and promised a reply within a week. 2 weeks later still no decision been made.

· Nuclear Power Station – Had the interview on Monday, went quite well and should get to know next week.

· Pharmaceutical company (this one would mean relocating closer to the job as travel would be another 2.5 – 3.0 hours to my day– Had the interview Tuesday, again should hear next week if an offer is to be made.

· Telephone interview with a machine manufacturer of Bio Gene equipment, this was with the MD himself. Will get another call from the engineering manager soon, should have been today but no call as yet.

· Next Monday interview with the local NHS hospital. The job is maintaining and breakdown repairs to the CT and MRI scanning machines along with the clinical Xray machines for patient treatment. Looks like a really interesting position. Will see how it works out. They noted in my confirmation letter to expect a 2.5 hours interview.
Wow that is going to be some interview or what.

· Next Tuesday interview with Northumbrian Water as an Electrical Technician. Good steady well paid job, in my local area.

Think that about covers it all.

Will give an update as and when I hear anything more. I am far happier now that at least some of the applications are coming through. Even if no job offers are made, I am at least getting somewhere with it all. I am fairing better than some I know, I have been talking to friends that have had no interviews at all in nearly 3 months.

Andy - SDDW

StanleyB
25-03-2009, 22:21
Hi Andy, glad to learn that you are packing in the interviews. That shows that you got the right credentials. I didn't get a single interview in a whole year of trying...

STan

25-03-2009, 22:49
Hi Stan

I am certainly relieved that I'm getting somewhere, I have the usual mortgage to pay etc and although covered by insurance policies still want to find work.

I have just this evening been talking to a mate of mine who lives only about 50 miles away, even though he has very good experience and qualifications, like you has had no luck at all with finding work. Very few companyies even both to reply to his contatcs.

I think fortunetly you have your growing business to work on. Hope it is going from strength to strength.

Will let you know whatever happens next.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
25-03-2009, 23:37
Hi Andy

Looking positive....excellent.

Regards D S D L

26-03-2009, 06:03
Hi Neil

Cheers for that, how did it go with your interview you had recently. Did you get any feedback as yet. Hope it works out well.

Andy - SDDW

26-03-2009, 16:05
Now here's a laugh for you,

Received a call this morning, you'll never guess who from so I'll tell you.

RFMD - Yes the very same company that binned me out after 4 days.

Condensed version of call. 'we are contacting previous employees to see how they are keeping, also if we were to be taking on new employees would you be interested in working for us again'

You can fill in the remaining part of the conversation yourselfs.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
26-03-2009, 16:07
I'm sure 'job security' is excellent with them! :lol:

Spectral Morn
26-03-2009, 17:23
HI Andy

I have heard nothing from them....two weeks today since I had the interview which I thought wasn't to bad....not perfect but pretty good....I thought. I think its safe enough to assume its dead but you never know.

Thanks for asking.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
26-03-2009, 18:27
Whenever I've applied for posts, they get back to you almost immediately if they're interested. These days, if they don't want you, they don't bother to get in touch.

The audio industry was all I know and it was hard to experience the end when it came. Once we'd moved, I went for an interview at a fairly local specialist dealer - part of a small chain - and I never felt such a dinosaur. The shop was chasing custom AV install and although the chain sold all the brands I knew, only the AV lines were being seriously promoted. The money they would have paid me was what I considered pathetic too, although with longer experience of living in this area, I'd say that £10 - 12Kpa is considered a fair salary and any more is a luxury, espoecially as I was once earning almost certainly more than the manager who interviewed me at the time!!!...!!! Working for a manager twenty years younger than me would have been a bit hard to take as well. needless to say, I wasn't successful and I have never ventured near that location again (parking's a nightmare anyway).

26-03-2009, 21:31
Whenever I've applied for posts, they get back to you almost immediately if they're interested. These days, if they don't want you, they don't bother to get in touch.

A while ago I would certainly agree with your point. But more recently companies are taking more time to decide and they have a greater number of applicants.

The other thing I have noticed and has been confirmed with a number of recruiters as well. Is some of the jobs advertised are no longer available, but still there to make the books look good. Also companies are taking applications but not actually hiring anyone, they seem to be waiting and seeing what is happening to the economy before committing to employing anyone.

Lets hope it all changes for the better soon, for everyone.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
26-03-2009, 21:33
Hi Dave

Yes I know what you mean. I am only 44 and I might as well be 64. Age discrimination is a reality despite what the Government might say...outlawed it really, HOW ?

It certainly seems that experience doesn't count any more. I have 20 years worth of it, and it would seem to be worthless at the moment. That shop made a stupid mistake with not hiring and offering you a decent wage Dave.....their loss.

The thing shops forget (in most areas not just audio) is that many people like a more mature person to deal with. They feel they can trust them and there is gravitas, genuine consideration of their needs not just sell them anything approach of many young sales people. I know how the game can be played and I treat every young guy the same way. So which has the most commission on it then ? I can usually tell.

I am glad for Andy that in his area of expertise that experience has value. I wish him the best.

Regards D S D L

28-03-2009, 19:28
This is what my grin looks like just now, :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :)

There I was driving in the nice country side, a bit cold outside but warm enough in the car (a complete wus I am). Just about to arrive at a mates home for a couple of hours of good music when my mobile rings. First thought is work, as I stupidly said I would be available if the same problem we had yesterday happened again.

Well I was wrong. There was a nice man on the other end of the line called Mark, who juast happens to work at the Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station.

Conversation went on these similar lines " Please Please Please come and work for us" it took me about 0.5m seconds to say yes. The actual conversation may have been slightly different :eyebrows:.

Anyway the outcome is, on condition of a medical and passing a security check - Don't think I have a dodge past :eyebrows:. I have a new job to go to. It could still be 6 - 8 weeks away as the security checks can take a while. But work none the less.

I am now one far happier bunny. I still intend to go to the 2 remaining interviews, Monday and Tuesday. As I will wait for the official paper work to come through first with confirmation of Terms and Conditions, before I hold off or withdraw from any remainig applications.

Now I have accepted this offer I will be true to my word and not accept any other offers if they come my way.

Cheers all for your support it has been appreciated. I hope to get back to some sort of normality and contribute to the forum a bit more.

I will also start to think about the Bakeoff I promised. Though I will need new main speakers as Mike has just been round and taken the ML's to their new home.

I will keep this going and update it when anything happens.

Bye from a cheesey grinning Andy - SDDW
Now for a bit of this :dance: then a bit more of :cool:

Beechwoods
28-03-2009, 21:18
Top Banana! Excellent news Andy!

Spectral Morn
28-03-2009, 21:20
Well done....Congratulations. :):):):)

Regards D S D L

28-03-2009, 22:22
Cheers Guys

With some luck my Electric Bill will get smaller, due to the fact I'll be Glow In The Dark within a few weeks of starting. Think Homer Simpson :)

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
29-03-2009, 09:16
Chuffed for you Andy,it's about time!

29-03-2009, 09:50
Cheers Ali

Maybe I should think about changing my handle to something different to reflect my new job. Atomic Andy or some other suitable alternative. Anyone got some good ideas.

Mind you I've been known as The Donkey Walker for so long now it would be strange to change to something different.

Will keep you up to date with the progress, and the start date. There could be very remote possability that I may fall in to the time period that will get me my very small redundancy payment. That would be nice but I'm not banking on it.

Just noticed that I've twittered on for 110 posts here, can't believe it has lasted that long.

Again Cheers All.

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
29-03-2009, 10:45
Deuterium Donkey Walker?

29-03-2009, 13:25
Like it :lolsign:

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
29-03-2009, 13:48
Two-headed donkey walker???

29-03-2009, 14:14
Two-headed donkey walker???

Chris

Not too sure about adding or growing any extra bits to my anatomy, I barely use the one head that encases my tiny brain as it is.

I would be more worried about bits falling off :)

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
29-03-2009, 14:18
Windscale Donkey Walker.

Glow in the dark Donkey Walker.

Decaying Particles Donkey walker

Seal in Lead Box for 10000 years Donkey Walker

Regards D S D L

29-03-2009, 15:43
Like the suggestions Neil.

Just been talking to a mate of mine, his suggestion is to find a shop which sells Lead Lined Underwear :)

He also mentioned the similarity to Homer Simpson and me. Am I missing something here, are people trying to tell me something :scratch:.

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
29-03-2009, 15:53
Eat My Lead Lined Underwear doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Eat My Shorts!

DSJR
29-03-2009, 16:11
Good luck with your new post anyway :)

Spectral Morn
29-03-2009, 17:06
The Incredible Melting Donkey Walker

China Syndrome Donkey walker

Three Mile Island Donkey Walker

Chernobyl Donkey Walker

We Have A Containment Breech Donkey Walker

A Poor Donkey walker From Hiroshima

On The Beach Dancing Donkey Walker

Regards D S D L

29-03-2009, 17:38
Neil

You have a very imaginative mind, shouldn't you be doing something more constructive at this moment in time, your talent is going to waste. I love the suggestions especially the Three Mile Island Donkey Walker.

I could be sending Hartlepool and Billingham the same way. Mind you the question would have to be - 'will anyone notice, if they do?? Will they care' -

The other thought is under the area are disused Salt mines that are currently used to store large volumes of H2 (Hydrogen) so if the reactor core goes critical as it mines it's way to the centre of the earth it will pass the H2 storage, nice big bang:smoking:.

The land values will be very competitive after that event :)

Apologies to all local residents for my totally inappropriate joke at their expense :lol:. Yeh you believe that one don't you.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
29-03-2009, 19:35
Hi Andy

I am working on a novel. Been working it out for years and started writing it about 4 months ago properly, though there are three versions in part all ready written. None of these versions I like, so they are now scraped (bits may be of use in the future but none are a really good representation of my original concepts). I also have another part finished item which my wife quite likes (trust me if she thought it was crap she would say). I will continue with it, when I have finished and brought to life my first ideas of many years thinking. The working title is Haven, but this may well change.

Its a story about alienation, loss of memory and the shock and terror in discovering your not who you thought you were and the terrible actions that follow on from this chance discovery. Genre wise its a mixture of the Gothic, Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror and an ancient love story.

I have also two Dr Who related stories partly completed but neither feature the Dr, but are based in the same universe. These I have done for pure pleasure as there is no money (the other works are more commercial) in what is called fan-fiction. The chance of the BBC offering publishing to a new unknown writer is slim (for this type of material), though they do ask for and have an on-line site for new writers submissions, for TV and Radio shows- new concepts etc. Writing a script for either format is not something I have considered as the process is very different to writing a story or novel, but who knows never say never.

Regards D S D L

29-03-2009, 20:10
Neil

Wow I could only dream of having the sort of talent to be able to write a novel. I always hold people who are artistic, or creative in high regard. Because for me it is far out of my reach, and in some ways always will be.

I am much more of a technical, logical guy, and I can see that in the way I approach life in general.

Hope the novel gets finished ok, and of course published. Don't forget to tell everyone here. Mainly so we can buy a copy.

As for the Dr Who episodes, why not give it a try, you appreciate that it is a different approach to writing and presentation. You never know until you try, someone has to do it. Why not you.

Great stuff, cheers for sharing it, good luck and keep us informed.

Andy - SDDW

Spectral Morn
29-03-2009, 20:26
Hi Andy

I wish the BBC thing was as easy. You can submit one script idea FOR A NEW CONCEPT only, no work relating to existing shows in production will be accepted. So they are looking only for new ideas and writers but not new writers for exiting shows such as DR Who. This is a pity but I can understand why they don't want lots of new (to them) writers submitting scripts for existing ideas. They want to see what you come up with yourself (their way of judging talent or lack of it)....new fresh concepts. If you make it through you will get offered work, but not necessarily for a show you want to write for.

Assuming I get my novel accepted for publishing it can take up to two years and more to see it in print and the money for new writers is poor to start with...only getting better if you are a hit or a steady grower. It has been said that every one has a story in them and this is mine...so I am doing it for the love of it. Yes I would love it to be a hit, and people love it but if they don't ultimately I am writing it for me. Its bang on trend at the moment from what I can see in the shops at the moment but will it be in two years ? Ummmm not sure. We shall see.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
30-03-2009, 10:31
Cheers Ali

Maybe I should think about changing my handle to something different to reflect my new job. Atomic Andy or some other suitable alternative. Anyone got some good ideas.

Why not try a few anagrams of the name you have: For starters, how about:

Dank Glands career (Nod, Wink)

Donkey wink: Scandal!! Danger!

Rank Awning Scalded donkey

Ken's carnal donkey wadding

Candid Donkey Wangler Sank

Necking a donkey, landwards

Ken Nods Daycare Gland (wink)

Donkey lands knew cardigan

Donkey Welding And Ransack

Garlanded donkeys can wink

Dad-wrecking donkey annals

DonkeyWedding nasal Crank

Mike
30-03-2009, 11:19
Ken's carnal donkey wadding

:lolsign: :D

30-03-2009, 13:04
Chris

Absolutely brilliant :lolsign:

Obviously another active mind with far too much time on your hands :eyebrows:

Andy - SDDW

30-03-2009, 13:12
Another quick update

Just got back from the NHS position as a Engineering Technician looking after the CT, MRI and Linear Accelerators.
It was 90 minutes of pure torture.

My hopes for this job is as follows;

If I had 2 hopes of this postion,

1, would be Bob Hope

2, The other would be No Hope.

It's a good job I have the Power Station offer, though no paper work yet.

I've still got me suit on and will be off (20 minutes) to another interview for a Bio Genetics company. Will update in a couple of hours.

Andy - SDDW

I may arrive home to find my Gene's have been altered.

Yes I did put my Levi's in to get the legs shortened. :lol:

31-03-2009, 06:49
Well I went off to the 2nd interview of the day yesterday afternoon, to a Bio-Genetics company. Had a far better interview there. The job was to assemble their analysing Machine from component parts, built, test and pass the genetic testing from start to finish.

Looked like a good job, only a very mall company, but just had some nagging doubt
in my mind, given the chance I would go there, if the Power Station job had not been offered. Will wait and see

I am off this morning to the last of my prearranged interviews, I was going to cancel but will go and give it a genuine chance, could be a good possibility. Will see how it pans out and decide when the paper work comes through for the Power Station.

Andy – SDDW

Si74
03-04-2009, 23:06
Ya daft muppet! get an agent to sell you to tv - 'The Interviewee!'
Be far better than watchin Sugar say your fired.. "Andy, yooooooor hired!"
Just wind up the accent - worked for Ant & Dec?????
Wit like

07-04-2009, 16:11
Si

You could be on to something there, the only problem is I have now run out of companies that haven't already interviewed me over the last few weeks :lol: so there may not be much milage in the feature.

As for the Geordie accent, I'm a touch far south, but could practice it a bit for better effect.

Whees i' the netty? Can anyone translate that one then? or this Ye knaa what ah mean leik

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had my Power Station medical yesterday and passed that ok, only need the results of the drugs and alcohol tests which will be back on Tuesday. The medical was quite tough, and it included an ECG which was ok but seemed a touch to far, but! whatever.

I will now have to wait 6 - 8 weeks for my background checks to be completed, will being a member here affect my rating or score.

My birthday today and guess what, apart from the £20 worth of cream cakes I bought for the place ( I did eat 3 of them myself - what a pig I am) this afternoon I had my AP health check ( 2 days, 2 madicals ). Was told my blood sugar was up a touch, it was ok yesterday, can anyone think of a reason why that would be. There may be a very remote chance I am suffering from cream cake poisoning :).

Andy - SDDW

Ali Tait
07-04-2009, 20:50
Many happy returns Andy :)

08-04-2009, 05:19
Cheers Ali

Had a good day of sorts. Will put off the night out until the weekend.

Received some nice gifts, a good bundle of DVD's,

Al Pacino - Box Set
Snatch
Walk The Line
which are great and a couple of CD's,

Herbie Hancock - Mr Hands
David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
Will get round to listening and watching soon I hope.

Cheers again

Andy - SDDW

Si74
08-04-2009, 20:36
Can I borrow the 'Snatch' when your finished with it:-)?
Happy Birthday!

Si

09-04-2009, 12:00
Well

I received my employment contract yesterday, all looks ok. Have signed it and returned the other paper work back to them, pension stuff etc.

Will get a chance next week I hope to have a visit to the plant and see first hand the place and conditions, and meet the guys and Gals I'll be working with.

Now I have just to wait until my background check comes through, this is where I find out about my dodgy past.

When this is finally sorted out, I will be having a bake off, for those that are interested. I would hope to have a new pair of speakers by then, of which I will be keeping the actual make and model a secret for the time being.

Well you must be thinking that, at long last this tedious thread will be finally coming to some sort of conclusion. Sorry to disappoint you all, but with the new job I am thinking of moving house. Already had an Estate Agent round to have a talk. So if my luck holds true, there could be at least another bundle of posts on my foray into the murky world of house hunting and everything else that is involved. I bet you can think of all the same stuff I can that will happen to me just to torture or liven up my sad little existence.

Please don't despair, you will all eventually be put out of my misery :lol:.

Andy - SDDW

22-04-2009, 09:46
Hi Guys

Here's an update of the current situation.

Still waiting for the background checks to be completed for the British Energy job, they could still be 4 weeks away yet.

Air Products, there's no real hope at all there. Certainly not with the current manning levels. We had a visit from the European Manager yesterday, the outcome is I may just be able to get a small amount of redundancy out of the company. I will just have to time it correctly, but will wait and see.

Will update when anything new happens.

Andy - SDDW

18-05-2009, 20:17
Hi Guys

Still waiting for my 'background clearance' to be completed, I am hoping for word this week. Still to hear final word from Air Products regarding the future of the plant. Though it will be closing. Might just tie in with getting a touch of redundancy payoff. Better in my pocket than theirs.

I have this afternoon been to the Power Station for a visit. Met up with some of the guys I will be working with, all appear great, good bit of banter, and most importantly the place 'feels' right. Always a good sign.

During the visit. we walked over the top of the Reactor. Just checked and nothing has fallen off yet, if it does I'll be at a total loss, as there will be nothing to stir my coffee with:eyebrows:.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
18-05-2009, 20:30
Are you glowing? :lolsign:

18-05-2009, 20:32
Are you glowing? :lolsign:

Only where the Sun Don't shine :lol:

Andy - SDDW

Mike
18-05-2009, 20:34
I think I'll just have to take your word on that one... please, no pictures! :uhho:

18-05-2009, 20:52
Mike

If your not interested in those photo's, what about the ones I have from my Colonoscopy.

I can post them up in a flash if you want :eyebrows:.

Andy - SDDW

Mike
18-05-2009, 20:53
:doh:

26-06-2009, 15:50
Hi Guys

Been a while since I updated this thread.

I finally after, goodness knows how many weeks, received my background clearance checks for my new job. They obviously didn't look hard enough to find my dodgy past :eyebrows:.

Now for the difficult bit. I now need to negotiate my exit from Air Products. Consultation period has now ended and I now need to juggle the needs of British Energy and getting my redundancy payoff (I seem to be making a living at this one alone). The figures are enough for me to be flexible and British Energy are OK with this too.

Having a chat to my Boss and HR I now may be in with a chance of going in 8 – 9 weeks time (de-commissioning now in progress). Will hopefully get word by the end of next week.

Will give you the update then.

Andy - SDDW

DSJR
26-06-2009, 19:23
I'm getting interviews in my chosen new career, but still don't have enough experience to clinch a position. PITA!!!!! :(

I still have time though - by 2020 we'll all be officially retiring at age 68 (unless we have a contingency plan ;))

26-06-2009, 19:54
Hi Dave

It's taken me since mid January to get this far, though the Government Background Checks have taken nearly 9 weeks now (goodness knows what they actually do – if someone knows please post a reply).

When I was last made redundant, 2 years now. I was being offered Interviews and job offers within a 3 -4 week period. So the recession is really slowing the job market down. Seeing as locally there will shortly be up to 2.5 thousand job losses in various industries, things are in the short term only getting worse.

What job sector are you looking at to work in Dave?

Will further update when I know any more. Must admit this has been quite helpful to write stuff down and not let things get on top of me. That’s not my usual style as people who know me will testify, but this time round things just seem far bleaker than I ever though possible.

Cheers All,

Andy - SDDW

I'm only 49 so looks like I have another 19 years to go yet, as for a plan - well mines not formulated as yet :)

01-08-2009, 12:50
Hi Guys

Been a touch quiet lately, on the posting front, personal stuff been happening and all.

Well I really do hope this is the last update. As some of you know my time with Air Products, aka CSB (Cheating Scumbag Bas****s) is up today, I am on my last shift.

They got out of paying any redundancy (7k + Months wage) by offering me an intended redundancy date of 31st April 2010 (sounds good, – not really) well not when you factor in they knew I had a job to go to and need to leave, British Energy were very good in saying I could delay my start date to whatever I needed , though 10 months was a bit much, I offered CSB company to stay on an extra 10 weeks to de-commission the plant, which would have put it in a safe HSE approved condition. All HV work completed and again left safe.

I had to just hand in my notice, my ex-boss tried to shake my hand, I refused saying it was more for his benefit then mine. The really annoying bit is, one of the Operations Techs has been on the sick for over 9 months, with stress (now’t wrong with him – he and his misses had a long term plan – C***s) He came back to work when the plant closure was announced and has last week been paid off – 120k + a big pension, enhanced with 5 years extra contribution on the company.

I have a very nice and pleasant, but to the point mail which will be sent to various people within the company, most importantly a man called John McGlade CEO of corporate Air Products. I have noted my personal mail address and telephone number and asked them to call me to respond to my mail. Maybe it’s a conversation I should record. I don’t think anyone will actually reply but it needs to be said.

Am I bitter and twisted, possibly but I am sat here smiling :).

Out with old, in with the new.

Looking forward to my new job, Monday induction, followed by the all new Nuclear Powered glow in the dark Andy (I’ve already been called Homer :lol:)

Andy - SDDW

13-08-2009, 15:26
Hi Guys

Just completed my 2nd week at British Energy - Hartlepool Power Station.

New jobs are always a bit strange, though you think you have covered everything at the interview stage and plant visit. There is always an element of doubt.

Well I can now say, I have made the right decision in taking this job. The place felt right when I arrived, the reception I got from the guys was spot on and friendly, the boss ok. Just things like play suit, plenty of British Energy Tee shirts and towels etc, the lockers were pre sorted out for me, tool cupboard and some tools there waiting for me to use – Yeh like I’m going to do that :lol:.

Can’t believe the safety systems in place there, it is very reassuring. Mainly for the fact I live (as the Crows fly) 2 miles downwind of the plant.

All in all very pleased with my move.

Though I have only just nearly completed my 2nd week, I am now on my long weekend off Fri - Mon. Not bad eh, I'm going to enjoy this place enormously.

Andy - SDDW

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 08:02
Hi Andy,
Been away for a bit so I've just been catching up on your latest.

Great to hear it's turning out well for you. It sounds like you're best off away from the old place & the new job might help get rid of the bad taste in your mouth.

Cheers Mate

PS Don't touch the red button!!

29-08-2009, 16:02
Chris

Last words 'Don't lean on that button'

Button WHAT Button, forgot to tell them I'm a 'colour blind, dyslecslick. half-wit' with little or no common sense.

Oop's :doh:, there goes my bonus, anyone know of a spare power plant going cheap :lol:

Toasted Marshmallows anyone :eyebrows:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/mushroom-cloud.jpg

Andy - SDDW

DSJR
29-08-2009, 16:31
Hi Dave

What job sector are you looking at to work in Dave?

Andy - SDDW

I'm only 49 so looks like I have another 19 years to go yet, as for a plan - well mines not formulated as yet :)

"Only" 49 is still fifteen years too old for many jobs these days...

late reply to your question - apologies - but I'm looking in the education sector (he's mad I tell ye!).... I'm hoping to start a level 3 NVQ this September and continue with my paid and unpaid work in the hope that I might try for a foundation degree as soon as possible after this. Whether I have the staying power to concentrate on more formal study I have no idea. If teaching at my advanced age is out of the question, then a post as a "Learning Mentor" may just be achievable. the money's OK, as we live very modestly these days and have no mortgage.

29-08-2009, 17:29
Hi Dave

Good to hear from you.

Hope you do well with the formal study thing, I'm still reasonably on top of my particular game (gave an Engineer at work a bit of surprise this week. He may have just taken my natural Dopey look and assumed I was a Half-Wit - very normal reaction to me). But I don't think I'm quite cut out for education.

I think it takes a fairly special sort of person and character to be one. The trick is getting the attention of the class or person etc, that is no mean feat at all. You also need the ability to take the same subject or problem and bring it in from an opposite direction as some just don't git it straight away.

The 'Learning Mentor' sounds like a good direction. I think a lot of people would benefit from that one, personal tuition can do wonders for some. Even just for short periods.

As for the foundation degree, would you do full time at a University or distance home learning?

Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

Andy - SDDW

DSJR
29-08-2009, 20:49
Distance home learning, but I'm not sure if I can stay on task. Forums such as this one tend to take over all the time :D.