PDA

View Full Version : Why straight into a wall socket?

icehockeyboy
08-06-2011, 10:32
And not into a mains conditioner (Tacima)

I have seen a number of people say this regarding amplifiers, please excuse my ignorance, but why?

I assume the conditioner somehow limits dynamics etc....or similar! :rolleyes:

Alex_UK
08-06-2011, 10:57
And not into a mains conditioner (Tacima)

I have seen a number of people say this regarding amplifiers, please excuse my ignorance, but why?

I assume the conditioner somehow limits dynamics etc....or similar! :rolleyes:

I think some people found (I did) that the Tacima sucked a bit of life out of the amp - that said, I didn't have the same problem with the Belkin PF-30 I'm using now, so as always, try both ways and see which you prefer, if indeed you notice any difference at all... :)

Effem
08-06-2011, 13:15
I think some people found (I did) that the Tacima sucked a bit of life out of the amp - that said, I didn't have the same problem with the Belkin PF-30 I'm using now, so as always, try both ways and see which you prefer, if indeed you notice any difference at all... :)

Pretty much sums up my own experiences with both the aforesaid items

jandl100
09-06-2011, 05:48
Yup, IME the effects can vary enormously.

Most of the power conditioners I have tried have sat on the dynamics to some extent ... although I've not tried the Tacima block ... perhaps they restrict (i.e. over control) current supply in some way? Happily, that seems not to be the case with my Belkin PF40. :)

WAD62
09-06-2011, 08:59
Could well depend on how 'thirsty' the amp in question is too...

icehockeyboy
11-06-2011, 13:12
As Frank suggested, I'm struggling to detect any difference with the amp into the wall.

Maybe I should plug it into an electrical socket? :lolsign:

DSJR
11-06-2011, 14:38
Back in the 90's, I seem to remember Ben Duncan, in one of his HFN articles, described how an effective mains filter/conditioner should be rated at ten times that of the unit connected to it.

On sources, I have had an individual 6A unit on each source except the Croft pre, as it doesn't need it and have always left the amps straight into the mains (via a decent distribution block - well, using RD's hated IEC plugs and sockets - ahem - and an excellent Mark Grant mains lead, which itself is rated far higher than the whole lot added together.

I do think the "less is more" approach should be followed (do as I say and not as I do), where you only use conditioners where absolutely necessary - CD players, SMPS for example, as they block rf etc. both ways I believe.

worthingpagan
18-06-2011, 14:47
If you don't use a surge protector at the very least and plug the amp directly into the wall, don't you run the risk of causing damage to the amp and speakers? :beer:

Macca
18-06-2011, 15:19
If you don't use a surge protector at the very least and plug the amp directly into the wall, don't you run the risk of causing damage to the amp and speakers? :beer:

It's never happened to me in 25 years

Touch wood...

Reid Malenfant
18-06-2011, 16:35
As with Martin, nothing of mine or my fathers when he was alive ever went down due to mains surges :)

The only real danger is a direct hit by lightning on your house & then no surge protection on earth will save your kit :(

:lolsign:

MartinT
18-06-2011, 16:40
There's a big difference between conditioners (passive filtering) and regenerators (active mains generation). With a regenerator I plug my power amp in and the noise floor is reduced and dynamics are enhanced.

Reid Malenfant
18-06-2011, 16:45
There's a big difference between conditioners (passive filtering) and regenerators (active mains generation). With a regenerator I plug my power amp in and the noise floor is reduced and dynamics are enhanced.
I guess you can with that ice cream cool running thing you have there Martin, if i was to try the same i might as well not bother using my cooker :eyebrows: Just crack a few eggs onto the top plate & i'd be away :lolsign:

As as side note i do like the idea of these Belkins post P600, they'll protect my kit against big spikes in the case of the P600 popping it's clogs :cool:

MartinT
18-06-2011, 21:04
Yes, I remember I could cook a good omelette on the top of the P300 :)

The Black Adder
08-07-2011, 13:32
Yup, IME the effects can vary enormously.

Most of the power conditioners I have tried have sat on the dynamics to some extent ... although I've not tried the Tacima block ... perhaps they restrict (i.e. over control) current supply in some way? Happily, that seems not to be the case with my Belkin PF40. :)

I found the same... I've had the same Tacima and found it just as bad as the QED Quonuit. They were ok but flattened the sound stage, homogenised the experience.

The Belkin PF40 (of which I have currently for sale may :cool:) does not do this.

hifinutt
17-07-2011, 06:10
i use an isotek sigmas with my ss monoblocks . had them in and out of the wall socket but have been in the sigmas for some while as they seem to sound very musical and soundstage improved .
i have not found they suck out the dynamcs but i know it depends on the amps