PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Cronus

simon g
08-06-2011, 09:59
This is the amplifier I have settled on for my day to day system, and very nice it is too :)

This amplifier doesn't seem to very popular in the UK, which just means that many are unware of what a cracking amplifier this is.

It's a very nicely put together amplifier, with an excellent sound and many useful features. Balance control, reasonable headphone amp, tape out, pre out, remote control of volume, useful output power of 55W, inbuilt bias meter (so no having to buy matched sets of valves), individual valve fuses (easily accessible) so no expense and inconvenience if a faling tube takes out a component.

I've had many valve amplifiers, including the likes of PL1 & 2, UR Simply 4, Icon Audio (various) & others. This, to my ears, sounds the best of the bunch. Lovely, natural and unforced, but with grip and control enough for my speakers (no flabby EL34 bass here!).

The valve pre valve (12AU7) is the critical one for this amp. I'm now using an RCA sent out especially by Rogue ~ very nice. My plan is to try some KT77s in it, but I'm not in any rush (comes with Svetlana EL34 as standard).

I'm happy to answer any questions on this amp ~ it really does deserve a wider audience.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/sg58/Rogue/P1000593.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/sg58/Rogue/P1000594.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/sg58/Rogue/P1000595.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/sg58/Rogue/P1000596.jpg

AlexM
08-06-2011, 10:19
Well done Simon I think the Cronus is a fabulous integrated valve amp for a very realistic price.

I also have some Rogue gear (a Metis pre-amp, which is now for sale), and a Stereo 90 which I am still using and love to bits. Your Cronus uses the same output transformers as the Stereo 90, which means that they are easily capable of handling KT77/KT88.

The power supply can be upgraded to deliver 90w with KT90s, which is some serious welly for a valve integrated!.

Rogue are a good company to deal with, and Mark O'Brien provides excellent aftercare support for his products, along with an upgrade path to protect your investment. I think they provide excellent value for a US-made product made to a high standard with all of the expected back-up.

Enjoy..
Alex

Alex_UK
08-06-2011, 10:21
Looks lovely, remote volume too... about £2k according to google? Seems pretty good value for what you're getting. :)

Macca
08-06-2011, 12:42
Fab looking amp - a little out of my price range though:(

simon g
08-06-2011, 14:36
Looks lovely, remote volume too... about £2k according to google? Seems pretty good value for what you're getting. :)

I paid a lot less than that for mine, but did buy it new from a UK dealer. I think retail is around the £1,800 mark. There's also an upgraded version (called Magnum), with higher spec. & output, at a higher price, of course.

Given that the PL2 is now around £1700, I believe the Rogue offers a very good package for the money. I'd been after a used one for quite a while, but they're very rare on the used market. So, when I saw a new one at a good price from a respected dealer I snapped it up. Pleased I did :)

jandl100
09-06-2011, 05:56
Way back ... cor, lummy, it must be 12-15 years or so ... I had a Rogue 99 pre-amp for a while.

I was quite taken by its musical liquidity and truthful tonality (especially in the mids) but ultimately the soundstaging/imaging was a bit woolly and ill-defined. Billowy, I think, was the term I used at the tiime. I tried rolling a few valves, but the dealer agreed with me that it was a characteristic of the pre-amp.

It would be interesting to try one of the later Rogues, they do come with a good rep. :)

peez
13-06-2011, 21:54
absolutely lovely, I use the metis / atlas and couldnt be happier - nice to see another ROGUE user :-)

Marco
13-06-2011, 22:09
Hi "peez",

Welcome to AoS - it's taken you long enough to post, since joining us! :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community? This is required by all new members, so use the existing threads there as a guidline to see what info is required (real first name, approx location, system details and music tastes).

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

AlexM
14-06-2011, 09:21
Jerry,

The more recent Rogue pre-amps have very much more of an 'up and at them' sound that I find very appealing. Definitely not slow, blurred or romantic. The line stage in particular is fantastic, with a visceral impact and speed. Detail and sound staging are also very good, especially at the price.

Simon, Does the Cronus have a phono stage?. If not I would suggest that the Rogue stealth phono stage is an absolute steal, and stands comparison with others at multiples of it's price. I was going to get one to run along side my Metis, but had a last minute wobble and bought a C-J preamp instead!.

Regards,
Alex

peez
14-06-2011, 20:55
Thanks Marco , have done - the Rogue post inspired me :-)

Hi "peez",

Welcome to AoS - it's taken you long enough to post, since joining us! :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community? This is required by all new members, so use the existing threads there as a guidline to see what info is required (real first name, approx location, system details and music tastes).

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

peez
14-06-2011, 20:57
Using a Stealth also, with some upgrades (op apmps i think) - truly brilliant thing

Jerry,

The more recent Rogue pre-amps have very much more of an 'up and at them' sound that I find very appealing. Definitely not slow, blurred or romantic. The line stage in particular is fantastic, with a visceral impact and speed. Detail and sound staging are also very good, especially at the price.

Simon, Does the Cronus have a phono stage?. If not I would suggest that the Rogue stealth phono stage is an absolute steal, and stands comparison with others at multiples of it's price. I was going to get one to run along side my Metis, but had a last minute wobble and bought a C-J preamp instead!.

Regards,
Alex

simon g
16-06-2011, 18:14
Simon, Does the Cronus have a phono stage?

Hi Alex,

Yes it does, but I can't comment on it as I don't use vinyl at present (this is in a system that has a SB3/Audio Synthesis DSM as a source).

When I pack in this work lark, I'll be getting all my vinyl out of storage and looking for a damn fine deck (sorry, watching Twin Peaks at the mo'!) upon which to play it. That'll be in to my Meishu though, via its phono stage.

Having now lived with the Cronus for a while, I can confidently report that it really is a cracking amp. It certainly deserves a wider audience in the UK. When I get some spare time I'll post a proper review.

Gerry
16-06-2011, 19:13
Rogue Amps are desperately under-rated in this country.

I have a pair of M120 Mono-blocks and a Stereo 88.
Great, great amps at great prices.

Enjoy!

sugdenfan
20-07-2011, 21:07
Hi Simon, I also have Rogue amplifiers, the Atlas and Perseus. I must admit they are relatively unknown but they sound superb. I changed the 12ax7/12au7 for Full Music and the sound went up a level (I had Sovtek before). I am using the supplied Svetlana EL34 but would also like to improve on those. I am looking at the Svetlana winged C as well as the KT77 but most of the reviews I see are from guitar amps and not hi fi related. If you have any success with any EL34/KT77 valves I would be most interested.

Andrei
17-10-2012, 11:52
This is the amplifier I have settled on for my day to day system, and very nice it is too

I was looking for a new Amp recently and settled on the ATC SIA2. However I did trial the Rogue Cronus Magnum for about 2 weeks. It had KT90 bottles. My giddy aunt! The soundstage! The power! The immersing involvement! It cost the equivalent of 2,000 quid. I would have gone for it but higher authority (see my avatar) disapproved. I am saying to her: 'Hey Babe take a walk on the wild side' and she is saying: 'Its ugly' The other issue was the number of RCA inputs - I really need 5. But from that time on I have been a Valve fan. From what you paid I think you have a bargain - in fact I might even report you to the police for theft!