PDA

View Full Version : Amptastic - the new model mini T

Les Paul '67
07-06-2011, 13:52
Hi,

Yesterday I took delivery of the new mini T amp from Amptastic. I have been waiting a while for this and am pleased that the new model available from Amptastic has been modified inline with many of the recomendations of this and other sites.
Initially the enclosure appears a little smaller than the original and has a more "rounded" appearence. The blue laser that the old model sported has gone and has been replaced by a subtly backlit volume control. The speaker binding posts have been changed and personally this was the only aspect I didn't like. I had loan of a now dead T-amp a while ago and had no problem dressing the speaker cables however on this current incarnation I found the posts didn't readily accept my Van Den Hul Skytrac Bi-Wire cable, no point trying my Naim Nac 5 !!! I have a photo of the new amp but I won't post that here until this revision of the amp is launched and available to the public.

I have plugged the amp into the new 5A power supply and left it to warm up, however I couldn't resist slipping on a couple of quick tracks:-

#1 Norwegian Wood - Taken from the Rubber Soul LP, a modern repress that is on 200gm vinyl : right from the off I was captivated, my listening room is small so this was not at any high volume but I could hear every nuance of the recording. It had pace , clarity and a 3D like, spatial quality to the sound. not too much was lacking from the sound and my "difficult to drive" MT Kestrel speakers sung - Deep Joy
#2 Orange Skies - Taken from an original pressing of Da Capo by Love, I put this on the LP12 a couple of hours after the initial listen, now this is more like it ..... The sound had matured over the few hours that the unit has been "burning in" and the way in which the music grabbed you by the ears and pulled you in has to be experienced to be believed. It was almost like the walls of the room had fallen away and the band were performing right there in front of me. The only critisism I'll make is that the bass was a little light, however one must assume that this will improve over the next 70 odd hours whilst this baby burns and beds itself in........

I will add to this at a later date , once the amp has burned in and I can push it a little to find the limitations, as it wouldn't be fair to do so straight out of the box however the initial reactions are all positive and a I really couldn't fault Chris at Amptastic in terms of customer service and delivery lead-time. This amp is intended to be a "stand in" whilst I construct some GainClone monobloc amps, let's see whether it remains as such once the two are compared side by side!

electric beach
07-06-2011, 17:27
:worthless:

Glad to see you bit the bullet Kev. I take it the missus doesn't read AOS :eyebrows:

aquapiranha
07-06-2011, 18:04
Another all conquering Tripath convert :lol: I agree though, pics or your lying! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did look, but it looks like they have a fault with their website...

Steve

Tarzan
07-06-2011, 19:00
Is it more powerful than the original Kev?

dave2010
07-06-2011, 21:03
What's the link for Amptastic? I tried to find it, and all I seemed to get was a page with a logo and a copyright notice :lol:

Bonky
08-06-2011, 05:50
What's the link for Amptastic? I tried to find it, and all I seemed to get was a page with a logo and a copyright notice :lol:

Their new website isn't up and running yet. Email them and you'll get a quick and friendly reply.

I too bought the Mini T (rev2) a few days ago . Astounding for the price. I cannot compare it with the older version as I have never heard that model. In comparing it with my Sugden A21a ( driving Living Voice Avatar speakers) I would say that it compares very favourably indeed. Without getting too embroiled in the usual lexicon of cliches, I would say that perhaps the Sugden carries a little more weight and is a little smoother but the T has a very revealing and transparent mid and top end. For casual listening I doubt I could tell them apart. It is being fed with a Touch into a Caiman. If only it came with another switchable input and a phonograph stage!

I can do a more comprehensive review later if people wish.

My elec meter tells me it costs one pence per hour to run.

BW

Bonky

dave2010
08-06-2011, 05:56
Bonky

And their email is? I'm just not quite sure what I'm looking at here, whether it's a cheapy but good, or something better and pricier. What price range was your amp?

I have a Bantam Gold, which seems OK, but maybe could do with something cheaper for a bedroom or two, or something better if I decided I needed more quality or power.

Bonky
08-06-2011, 06:16
Bonky

And their email is? I'm just not quite sure what I'm looking at here, whether it's a cheapy but good, or something better and pricier. What price range was your amp?

I have a Bantam Gold, which seems OK, but maybe could do with something cheaper for a bedroom or two, or something better if I decided I needed more quality or power.

Hi, speak to Chris at :sales@amptastic.com.

Mine cost £60.

BW

Bonky

Les Paul '67
08-06-2011, 09:29
Hi Guys,

Here is a stock photo of the new Mini T:-

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/Hawklord9/MiniT-R2.jpg
The new model is on the left, old on the right.

You can contact Chris via sales@amptastic.com The website doesn't appear to be up and running at present.

Bonky, which model do you have? I paid £64 including postage and have the 5A power supply.......

Well yesterday evening I played a couple more tracks and as I expected there were improvements in the overall weight and authority with which this amp presents the music..... I had also installed new interconnects ( Belkin Silver pure AV's) so my comments are somewhat subjective as this would no doubt have made further sonic improvements....

I listened to American Beauty by the Grateful Dead, a 200gm pressing on virgin vinyl:-

Well tonight there was a more solid, rythmic presentation to the music - Man the "Dead" were swinging !!!!! The guitars sounded convincing and the vocals were locked into the soundstage ( I used to find the vocal seemed to wander about !!).... The bass was full without blooming and hi-hats made my foot tap...
All in all this has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience where in the past I have been tentative about whether new equipment does indeed offer significant improvements over what is tried and tested. I think this is driven inpart by the extremely competitive pricing, where else could one obtain such an improvement in hardwear for such a ridiculously small sum? I have already heard improvements over the previous mini-T from Amptastic and I wasn't expecting that, I was expecting improvements but only really expected to be able to hear it after the amp has been thoroughly burned in.
I'll add to this review once the 72 hour burn in has been done as I want to try some heavier music.......Let's see whether this baby can reveal the complexities of the likes of Frank Zappa without freaking out !!!!!

Steve: - the answer is no she doesn't otherwise this thread wouldn't be here !!! LOL

Les Paul '67
08-06-2011, 09:38
Is it more powerful than the original Kev?

Tarzan, I know that it is built on the original TA2020 so no it is the same power output as the original. having said that it already sound more "solid" than the original Mini-T which may be down to improvements in the components or it may be due to the 5A power supply. Personally I think the latter is the more likely explanation........

Bonky
08-06-2011, 10:25
Tarzan, I know that it is built on the original TA2020 so no it is the same power output as the original. having said that it already sound more "solid" than the original Mini-T which may be down to improvements in the components or it may be due to the 5A power supply. Personally I think the latter is the more likely explanation........

I too have the 5 amp PS.

How are you feeding the amp with the output from your turntable?

BW

Bonky

Les Paul '67
08-06-2011, 10:41
I am taking the output of my Pro-Ject Phono Box and feeding that directly into the amp........

Eventually I'm going to build a "Lightspeed Attenuator" equipped pre-amp, however I will most likely have that feeding the monobloc GainClones I am in the process of building..... It will be interesting to see whether I prefer the T-amp or the GainClones .......

Tarzan
08-06-2011, 14:17
Ok, cheers Kev, l am now listening to The Doors LA Woman LP with my old 2A psu Mini-T and frankly the sound has for the 6-7W, has all the traits you describe, the little power goes a long, long way, it sounds brilliant-the Mini-T is a giant killer in my opinion:)

Les Paul '67
08-06-2011, 15:11
The previous iteration that I heard also had the 2A supply and it sounded fine, at the moment the difference just appears to be the sense of scale that the new iteration delivers........

Gazjam
08-06-2011, 17:04
New amp looks good.
I see they have changed the speaker posts?

When I had an original Mini-T my Sterling Black Mamba banana plugs just slipped out of the sockets, I ended up having to tape the plugs to the back of the amp!
They just slipped out...minimum contact, couldn't have been great for best sound quality.

Could two of these amps be rigged as a biamp system?
How would they be wired up?

jandl100
08-06-2011, 19:58
A new version? Interesting!

What is said to have changed? - I am a BIG fan of the original version!

Could two of these amps be rigged as a biamp system?
How would they be wired up?

I tried that with the original - tbh there was littlle to be gained imho. :) Nowt to be lost either, though!

I always used a 5A PSU with mine.

Fantastic amp - I demoed the original Mini-T in my exhibit room at Scalford Show this year, a visiting AudioNote valve amp designer was gobsmacked by the superb quality of the sound into a lovely pair of 12 inch Tannoy Monitor Gold Lancaster speakers! :eyebrows: ... I suggested he could put it into a AN amp chassis and sell it for £5k .. he didn't disagree! :lol:

Gazjam
08-06-2011, 20:14
Hi Jerry,
was WONDERING what kind of reception the Mini-T got a at Scalford....
more than a handful of sceptics there courtesy of "a certain hifi forum" :)

Seems the new versions a direct response to suggestions made by users of the v1?

I would have mentioned the speaker posts..but someone else beat me to it.
Couldn't fault the sound quality mind.

Bonky
08-06-2011, 20:27
Les Paul,

how are you getting the output from your turntable into the Mini T?

Bw

Bonky

Les Paul '67
09-06-2011, 09:31
Les Paul,

how are you getting the output from your turntable into the Mini T?

Bw

Bonky

Richard,

I run the output from my turntable into a Pro-Ject phono equalizer box. I have the original version but do want to update to the TubeBox SE2. I then have two RCA leads coming from the Pro-Ject Box into the RCA sockets of the T-Amp. The Pro-Ject box appears to do it's job without colouring the sound at a perceivable level.

When I originally wanted to order this amp it was not available so I made the decision to build some GainClone monoblocs..... I have acquired this amp as a temporary measure until the GainClones are in enclosures. The original intention was to get two T-amps and bi-amp them as my speakers appear to be a little difficult to drive and having used bi-amped systems in the past I knew this would be a quick route to obtaining the seperation between bass and treble I require. I was going to do this by using 2 "t" splitter plugs on the outputs of the Pro-Ject box and then send the signal to two T-amps, one supplying bass signal and the other covering other frequencies. I would still like to try this at some point as I think it would be a revelation......

WAD62
09-06-2011, 09:45
Kev,

How did you manage to acquire the new amp?

I can't find a new listing on ebay, and the amptastic web site doesn't appear to work for me, I am using Chrome...Edit just tried IE so it looks like the problem's at their end...

http://www.amptastic.com/

P.S. Gaz the different binding posts came in towards the end of the old model, mine has the original threaded ones...

Les Paul '67
09-06-2011, 09:55
Hi Will,

I sent a message via E-Bay, when I got a reply Chris updated me on the availability and changes etc. You could try sales@amptastic.com , send Chris a mail and I'm sure he will get back to you ASAP

WAD62
09-06-2011, 10:12
Hi Will,

I sent a message via E-Bay, when I got a reply Chris updated me on the availability and changes etc. You could try sales@amptastic.com , send Chris a mail and I'm sure he will get back to you ASAP

Cheers Kev...

Gazjam
09-06-2011, 11:09
You buying more amps Will..? ;)

WAD62
09-06-2011, 11:20
You buying more amps Will..? ;)

...yes, but not for me Gaz ;)

I think my house has a critical mass of Hi-Fi already, it's for our office, a touch, a mini-t, and some half decent speakers, should do the trick :)

Bonky
10-06-2011, 12:03
Hi all, just got this email from Chris at Amptastic:

"Great thread there, good to see Jerry posting up there. Please can you do us a favour and let the AoS members know that the eBay products will be back online by tomorrow and that the website will be updated next week. Regarding prices for AoS members I am sure we can sort out a forum discount for direct orders!
Many thanks again for your custom and interest in our amp.
Best Regards,
Chris @ Amptastic.com"

Les Paul '67
13-06-2011, 10:46
Hi All,

Well I think the amp is approaching the point where one could say it is run in.

Over the weekend I listened to a plethora of vinyl including:-
Frank Zappa, You Are What You Is - side 3
Stefan Grappelli & Django Reinhardt, Swing From Paris - side1
Groundhogs, Thank Christ For The Bomb - side 1
Hawkwind, Quark, Strangeness & Charm - side2

IMHO there are challenging passages of music on each of the aforementioned albums, stuff to test the limitations of your equipment. Well The Mini-T performed impeccably. The crystal clear midrange resolved the music beautifully, there was nothing missing and I can honestly say that I was hearing subtle nuances in the playing that I had never heard before. The bass was clean and tuneful and even though my MT Kestrel speakers are not the easiest to drive and not "bassy" by any stretch of the imagination the bassline of each song was there, defined and carrying the music as it should. The vocals and guitars were natural sounding and not impeded in anyway and the hi-hats provided a sense of pace that I've not often heard.
Overall I found this listening test quite difficult as I found I was listening to the musical performances and not the performance of the equipment itself, which after all is the objective of a listening test, however that was the most important aspect of this test in my opinion, the fact that the amp delivered the music in such a way that it was transparent and it was the music itself that made me listen and held me rivetted to the spot and not the equipment

The Mini-T gets a big thumbs up from me, it is clean, detailed and tuneful and if you want an amp that will play music at "normal" volumes then one should not pass this little beauty by.

Equipment used:-

Linn Sondek LP12
Origin Live Silver Arm
Rega Bias II Cartridge
Cork Plattamat
Cardas Arm Cable
Pro-Ject Phonobox V1
Belkin Silver Pure AV 2.4m interconnect
Amptastic Mini-T V2
Van Den Hul Skytrac Bi-Wire cable
Musical Technology Kestrel SE Speakers

dave2010
14-06-2011, 17:58
Risking being thrown off the thread, is the Mini T amp a lot better than the cheapo cheapo ones on eBay, sometimes as low as £20 inc. postage? Having a UK supplier is of course less of a risk than dealing with firms in China. There seem to be a lot on eBay, and some do look similar to the Mini T.

jandl100
14-06-2011, 20:06
Risking being thrown off the thread, is the Mini T amp a lot better than the cheapo cheapo ones on eBay, sometimes as low as £20 inc. postage? Having a UK supplier is of course less of a risk than dealing with firms in China. There seem to be a lot on eBay, and some do look similar to the Mini T.

Hi Dave

I have both the Mini-T and the Muse TA2020 T-amps. The Muse is a fair bit cheaper than the Mini-T, but not as cheap as some of the "giveaways". Note that some of the cheap ones do not come with PSU, btw!

And yes, sadly, the Mini-T is worth the extra £ over the Muse. The Muse is pretty damn good, but the Mini-T is clearly the more musically sophisticated sound, imho. :)

dave2010
14-06-2011, 21:35
Jerry

Fair does then - the cheapo ones probably OK for very casual, non critical listening. I'm getting used to my Bantam Gold now. Not sure I'm really allowed to import more amps. Is there such a thing as amp addiction, and is it worse than CD addiction? :)

jandl100
19-06-2011, 08:01
I've now got the new version of the Mini-T.

... if anyone would like a short-term loaner of it just to see if it is their thing, I'll be happy to post it to them. Just asking the cost of the postage (a few £ each way).

Established forum members only. :) It is not for sale, I'm just offering a loan of it.

Tarzan
19-06-2011, 14:04
Any thoughts on it Jerry?:)

jandl100
19-06-2011, 14:58
Hi Andy ... umm, the light is better! :)

I don't know if the speaker cable posts are better as I never had any issues with the original ones!

Sounds to me very similar (identical?) to the original - not that is in any way a bad thing. Still a mighty fine sounding amp.

I had a chance to listen to it on a pair of Avantgarde Uno Nano speakers yesterday (100+db/W) - surprisingly it wasn't a great match. Tended to bring out a bit of brightness/thinness in the sound. The best I have heard one, I reckon, is on 12 inch Monitor Gold Tannoys in Lancaster cabs - the pairing I used for a short time at this year's Scalford Show! Luvverly.

Here's the list of changes from the original that Chris at Amptastic told me of ...

Same great circuitry however the updated version fixes several issues raised in the first revision.
Including:

· Smoother/accurate volume control

· Blinding LED relocated to behind volume controls

· Power connector simplified, no adaptor required 99.9% of customers use the standard 2.1mm pole

· Case design simplified and widened to allow improved signal paths and spacing for less interference

· Improved thickness and higher quality gold coated PCB. All hand soldered and heat shielded cables.

· Improved speaker connectors, primarily designed for Banana plugs (most cables should fit, we are actively taking feedback on the update to see if we need to modify further).

· Other subtle changes.

wee tee cee
20-06-2011, 00:53
Can anyone tell me the difference between this and standard temple audio bantum Iam using.
The bantum sounds fantastic to my ears but lacks a bit of oomph,I just wish it would go a bit louder....
I am aware some members are running bantum golds or even mono blocks,The mini-t is an affordable diversion for me.
Can anyone help....
Regards Tony.

Les Paul '67
21-06-2011, 14:33
Hi,

Take a look here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11612 & here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11898 I reckon Steve will be back using a mini-T from Amptastic very soon...

It is not a question of OOooomph, the mini-T is not tremendously loud, it is the clarity and agility to portray a clean mid band and react to transient peaks, the bass ain't bad either:eyebrows:

I like the mini-T as I'm hearing subtle things on tracks that I've never heard before and it is loud enough for my listening room. Naturally the more sensitive your speakers are the louder it will appear, mine are 86db at best.

webby
21-06-2011, 18:55
Hi Guys,

Here is a stock photo of the new Mini T:-

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/Hawklord9/MiniT-R2.jpg
The new model is on the left, old on the right.

What are the speakers in this shot?

Rare Bird
21-06-2011, 19:37
It's a Vita Audio 'R1'

logotrikes
25-11-2011, 09:21
Just my tuppence worth folks...

Last week I received a SMSL TA 2020 mini amp which I proceeded to run in....a cd on repeat (Adcom GCD 575) and on low volume for around 18 hours per day for a few days. Then I received a MUSE TA2020, very similar looking beast, so I did the same...

The SMSL sounded pretty good straight out of the box; a little treble tizz but not bad all the same. The MUSE however just didn't sound right, as if a couple of army blankets had been thrown over the speakers (Fostex FE103's crossoverless in quarter wave enclosures). Just to be sure I disconnected the MUSE and reinstalled the SMSL. Hmm, I'm not into overused superlatives, but on the same volume setting (11 oclock to try and get a decent volume out of the MUSE) the SMSL made music bolt out of the speakers. As a test, I listened to Elton John's Song for Guy. Not a definitive test, but those ff piledriver chords towards the end are enough to give the amp something to think about, and wow, does it perform!!

The MUSE I feel, though it's a very similar amp, nicely constructed, using the same Tripath chip and similar components to the SMSL, just hasn't got the legs. It's pretty poor by comparison, which I find very surprising, and disappointing...I expected both to sound "alike" being of a similar build standard.

Now comes a twist. When I opened up the SMSL to peep inside, I found that the board is labelled "Amptastic". Now I believe that Amptastic uses a rebadged amp from someone else, possibly SMSL, with upgraded components. Having heard what I did, it seems to me that I scored an Amptastic board by mistake, and indeed if it is true that Amptastic specify an upgraded component schedule prior to rebadging, ( I've no reason to believe otherwise) then from what I've heard, by accident, luck of the Irish, whatever, I possess an amp that benefits from what a decent upgrading can do. Honestly the MUSE, sadly, isn't worth two bob, and if I'd heard the MUSE first, I would have concluded that D class amps sound ok, but hardly worth all the hoopla one reads on the forums. As it is I'm satisfied that D class amps can really shine, that is, if you get a good one such as my windfall "Amptastic", or the real thing from the UK supplier.

It would be interesting to see if I ordered another SMSL from the same vendor(and I'm so tempted), whether it would be an Amptastic board or just the generic SMSL board...

I have no connection with Amptastic and no reason to promote them at all, or over any other brand, but my new SMSL REALLY sings and the tenuous Amptastic connection might have a bearing on this..or not, dunno.

Bear in mind folks that the 20wpc these little amps are alleged to chuck out is nonsense. In real world with 8 ohm speakers, a handful of watts, 5 or 6 is about all they're good for, so one needs efficient speakers, with an SPL of 90 or more. They will benefit from full range driver-no crossover systems...anything that's easy to drive for best results I feel.

I'm using this amp (SMSL) in my listening room as my current main amp, and so far it's extremely rewarding to listen to. I'm no audio guru, but I have a reasonable ear, and with very familiar tracks I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before. Not night and day, but subtle nuances which add listening pleasure, driving me to rediscover cd's which I haven't played in years.

And it all costs next to nothing to try D class.

Just do it...

Cheers, Martin

WAD62
25-11-2011, 12:09
Can anyone tell me the difference between this and standard temple audio bantum Iam using.
The bantum sounds fantastic to my ears but lacks a bit of oomph,I just wish it would go a bit louder....
I am aware some members are running bantum golds or even mono blocks,The mini-t is an affordable diversion for me.
Can anyone help....
Regards Tony.

Tony I have both, and there's little difference in volume output, this is due to the Bantam having a standard +3db gain setting (from the mouth of John from Temple Audio), so even though the Mini-T is rated at a higher wattage, it doesn't go much louder than the Bantam. The sound is better than the Bantam close to maximum volume, probably due to the Bantam's gain setting.

I'd suggest the Gold if you want more Ooomph than the standard Bantam, any increase in volume with the Mini-T would be marginal IMHO ;)

wee tee cee
25-11-2011, 15:37
Will,
I'm a fair bit down the road now.I initially bought two mono blocks to drive my bass utilising the bantum on treble.To be honest they sounded even better on the treble.I eventually got another pair of monos and quad amp with them.Magnificent wee beasties,bass that can flap your trousers without the amps getting into a flap if that makes sense.
Still love the original bantum and could happily live with it in my main system,my son has it in his set up and is completely converted to worshiping at the temple.
Regards Tony.

electric beach
25-11-2011, 17:36
Last week I received a SMSL TA 2020 mini amp.

Now comes a twist. When I opened up the SMSL to peep inside, I found that the board is labelled "Amptastic". Now I believe that Amptastic uses a rebadged amp from someone else, possibly SMSL, with upgraded components. Having heard what I did, it seems to me that I scored an Amptastic board by mistake, and indeed if it is true that Amptastic specify an upgraded component schedule prior to rebadging, ( I've no reason to believe otherwise) then from what I've heard, by accident, luck of the Irish, whatever, I possess an amp that benefits from what a decent upgrading can do. Honestly the MUSE, sadly, isn't worth two bob, and if I'd heard the MUSE first, I would have concluded that D class amps sound ok, but hardly worth all the hoopla one reads on the forums. As it is I'm satisfied that D class amps can really shine, that is, if you get a good one such as my windfall "Amptastic", or the real thing from the UK supplier.

It would be interesting to see if I ordered another SMSL from the same vendor(and I'm so tempted), whether it would be an Amptastic board or just the generic SMSL board...

I have no connection with Amptastic and no reason to promote them at all, or over any other brand, but my new SMSL REALLY sings and the tenuous Amptastic connection might have a bearing on this..or not, dunno.

Now that is VERY interesting Martin. Thanks for bringing the info forward. You need to check in with an intro in the welcome zone pronto though mate ;)

There are many flavours among the different chips and T-amp variants but the Mini-T / SMLS (if they are the same) is somewhat special in certain respects and can work in a certain way. As a plug & play the Temple Audio amps are well balanced and I only returned the monoblocks because they aren't the tool I specifically want using a file based or CD front end.

1. The killer for me is the transparency and transient speed. As you say, put this amp through full range drivers with their efficiency and the power output becomes a mute point. My alternate valve amp is 2.5w driving 96db Fostex horns.

2. Put a valve in front. Yeah, I know that's simplistic but my active preamp has proved key to unlocking the holographic soundstage and builds the natural timbre and dynamics.

3. Add a sub. You need one that reaches up to about 1k to integrate Now you have bass and weight to the presentation, while retaining that unusual speed. :cool:

Ali Tait
25-11-2011, 21:21
Aye, agree about a valve pre. It's the icing on the cake for amps of this type IMHO.

logotrikes
26-11-2011, 03:40
Ok, thanks for your thoughts electric beach..

I'm really new at this and though I've fooled around with hifi for many years I still know next to bugger all. Good forums like this one are invaluable for newbies like myself, so, to recap on your comments re a valve pre, would I be ok going with something like Argen Helders valve pre-amp kit. It's as cheap as chips, though I would like to stay with 12v/5a power supply ( I'm using one from Indeed Hifi and it seems perfect for this little SMSL amp). I've built a couple of amps from scatch using mains, and though I'm not fazed in the slightest using trafo's again I really prefer the simplicity of a 12v supply now I've discovered D class and what they can do on 12v...it just seems so quick and easy. I've ordered a Y148 module from DealExtreme to satisfy my DIY bent because I'm sure that subconsciously I derive perverse pleasure from making things micro size that work well beyond what visual size would suggest. In the same vein I like micro cars, the smaller the better, but that's for another day and forum...

Another thing with preamps is that I've really tried to avoid them if possible since the shortest signal path is surely important and if one can avoid preamps then the signal has a better chance of remaining unmolested. Or is it not quite as simple as that...?

Cheers for yours or anyone elses thoughts, Martin

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 10:24
No, not quite as simple as that IMHO. An active pre can provide better impedance matching between components, as well as gain obviously, which can more than make up for any possible detrimental effects caused by the extra circuitry.

wee tee cee
26-11-2011, 10:37
No, not quite as simple as that IMHO. An active pre can provide better impedance matching between components, as well as gain obviously, which can more than make up for any possible detrimental effects caused by the extra circuitry.Ali,
I control the mono blocks using my computer as a volume control through the dac.I am only using the one source,do you think I could benefit from a pre between the dac and amps.Surely it would be colouring the sound by adding more into the chain OR do you think getting rid of the digital volume control would be beneficial.
I've been looking at a croft basic pre....I could justify it to myself.
Regards Tony.

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 11:10
If you are controlling the volume digitally, then at lower volumes you are losing bits, so won't be getting full sound quality IMHO. Is it a laptop you use? If so, you could bring it to my place along with the amps and we could try them with and without my valve pre and see what you think.

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 11:13
BTW, I also have an NVA passive pre we could try as well.

wee tee cee
26-11-2011, 11:49
BTW, I also have an NVA passive pre we could try as well.Ali,
I can bring cables etc if you fancy hearing anything Ive got.I have a sneaking suspicion regards the digital volume you might be right.I would be fascinated to hear a pre in the fray.
Regards Tony.

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 12:37
Yes sure, bring whatever you like, though as far as cables are concerned, I use two sets as the OB's are two ways driven actively. We could try one set on the bass or mid/top to see what they do though. I'm home at weekends, so any Sat/Sun would be fine.

WAD62
26-11-2011, 12:54
Will,
I'm a fair bit down the road now.I initially bought two mono blocks to drive my bass utilising the bantum on treble.To be honest they sounded even better on the treble.I eventually got another pair of monos and quad amp with them.Magnificent wee beasties,bass that can flap your trousers without the amps getting into a flap if that makes sense.
Still love the original bantum and could happily live with it in my main system,my son has it in his set up and is completely converted to worshiping at the temple.
Regards Tony.

...note to self always look at the post date...:doh:

Glad you like the monoblocks, their on my future list :)

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 13:13
Must admit I'd like to hear the monos against my two golds, to see if they are worth investing in.

wee tee cee
26-11-2011, 14:51
Ali,
I have 2 x 4m runs of tellurium q one black and one blue.I could bring my mark grant bi amp cables and the four amps and you can have a go quad amping.Might as well bring my mf m1 dac/v link and the trico/wtb co ax.No point in bringing my tannoys....theyre no great shakes but I really like the way they sound.
How you fixed tommorow.
Regards Tony.

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 15:26
Tomorrow I could manage, though I'm out in Edinburgh tonight and am staying over in town. What time were you planning on arriving?

wee tee cee
26-11-2011, 16:26
Ali,
Going out for a couple halfs myself tonight.
probably about 1 ish.......out of your hair about 4ish.
I'm off next weekend if that suits better.
Regards Tony.

Ali Tait
26-11-2011, 18:30
Ok, next weekend would be better Tony. Sat or Sun?

wee tee cee
26-11-2011, 19:49
sun would be good.
Tony.

Ali Tait
27-11-2011, 10:55
Ok no worries, I'll PM the address.

phoenixpete
30-08-2012, 20:56
I just bought one of these great little amps.
I was surprised just how small it actually is, my TC7520 looks enormous next to it :)

I bought it to run a second system including my Epos M12s and just to try it all out after having packed away most of my main system ready for our move.

I have now had it all running for a couple of day's and I really am surprised at how good this little setup sounds,plenty of power, with high volume levels at around the 12 o'clock position on the Mini-T.

Really pleased with this and at such a good price too.
I put a couple of pictures in the Gallery under "Temporary system before iminent move" if you want a look.

:cool: