PDA

View Full Version : State of the art with SL1200/SL1210 mods, and in what order do you get there

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 07:15
I'm seeing loads of stuff since stopping at a KABusa power supply, SME IV and Isonoe feet with mine.

So if I were to move mine up, where do I start and where could I go. More importantly, what order ?

Thanks

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 09:27
Hi Peter

We now have many options to upgrade and fine tune the SL1200 .

The Kabusa approach

The Timestep

Mike New's upgrades

Mark Baker's Origin Live

Vantage Audio

The Funk Firm

My advice would be to contact each of these vendor's and see what they have to offer!

I think all offer a slightly different flavour so to speak , whichever takes your fancy.

DSJR
05-06-2011, 10:17
One thing you'll soon see - and that's a wonderful cash cow for the middle men :lolsign:

John
05-06-2011, 11:17
Marco and Martin can give you a detailed answer to this a both have taken the 1210 very far

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 12:47
I was thinking that the Kabusa approach was very much a first step. I was wondering where the "sweet spot" was.

colinB
05-06-2011, 12:54
Peter,is it a Kab mk1 or mk2? The new one looks like a completely different approach.

Wakefield Turntables
05-06-2011, 15:03
Peter,

i have a highly modded 1210, see my sig. What are you trying to get out of your 1210? For me I wanted a highly clinical transcription tool. My system can very easily root out a $hit recording. If you tell us how you want your 1210 to sound we may be able to offer a little more help. :)

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 16:22
To Colin:

I expect my Kabusa is a MKI, because I've had it a while now (2008?).

To Andrew:

I want my Teccie to sound like CD only better! i.e. No hint of pitch instability and being able to hear clearly what's happening in the 'bass', like the Wadia CD players do with CDs.

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 16:33
I was thinking that the Kabusa approach was very much a first step. I was wondering where the "sweet spot" was.

Peter

What are you looking to spend ? I have tried a couple of Timestep mods and am now in the process of trying out the Vantage Audio upgrades , with the main bearing mod in place and shortly a modified platter in the next couple of weeks , if that go's well i may consider Richard's own psu for the 1210 .

I can certainly recommend the Vantage audio mods as a very cost effective route , on the face of it the Vantage seem to be the cheapest upgrades available and generally focus on modifying the OEM components as a first step ! Then moving onto bespoke items if you want to go so far .

As for the "sweet spot" I'm not sure what that is ! But the platter mod should be very interesting .

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 16:46
What are you looking to spend ?

I have tried a couple of Timestep mods and am now in the process of trying out the Vantage Audio upgrades , with the main bearing mod in place and shortly a modified platter in the next couple of weeks , if that go's well i may consider Richard's own psu for the 1210 .

I was thinking getting a higher grade PSU than the Kabusa, and then maybe a bearing mod. I saw that the Vantage psu is £150, so they do look good value.

I don't know, in terms of budget, probably between £500 & £800, maximum.

This is a thread where I'm trying to way the options. I think another bearing is essential, given what I'm reading on here, but I reckon the psu is the right first step, now.

My Teccie is in the signature:

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 17:11
I was thinking getting a higher grade PSU than the Kabusa, and then maybe a bearing mod. I saw that the Vantage psu is £150, so they do look good value.

I don't know, in terms of budget, probably between £500 & £800, maximum.

This is a thread where I'm trying to way the options. I think another bearing is essential, given what I'm reading on here, but I reckon the psu is the right first step, now.

My Teccie is in the signature:

There is also the Paul Hynes psu's to consider ! These i know of by repute alone and the word is they are very good indeed .

The Vantage Audio psu ,bearing mod and platter mod would come well within your budget , around £400-450 which i think is very good value .

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 17:35
The Vantage Audio psu ,bearing mod and platter mod would come well within your budget , around £400-450 which i think is very good value .

I'll have to get in touch with them, but I'll wait 'til after the summer. I have other goodies flying into my system, and I want to reach a point where I feel that it's stable to reintroduce the Teccie

Any feeling on the Vantage vs Mike New bearing ?

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 17:44
I'll have to get in touch with them, but I'll wait 'til after the summer. I have other goodies flying into my system, and I want to reach a point where I feel that it's stable to reintroduce the Teccie

Afraid i can't comment as the only bearing comparison i have done is with the Timestep bearing and of course the OEM , but remember the Vantage bearing is a modified OEM bearing , where as Mike New's is a no holds barred bespoke affair and everyone on here who's bought one , is very happy with it ! And that i guess is the bottom line , I'm very happy with the Vantage bearing because it somehow managed to outperform the Timestep which is considerably more expensive ! Go figure .

DSJR
05-06-2011, 18:08
I hate to say this, but it must be said by someone---

After spending a few grand on a Techie, money you won't get back as these updates are little known outside of the very few hundred which are "we," you'll have spent the amount that could have gone on a possibly better turntable altogether - NAS Dias for instance?????????

John
05-06-2011, 18:11
Lol what are you like Dave ;)

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 18:12

After spending a few grand on a Techie, money you won't get back as these updates are little known outside of the very few hundred which are "we," you'll have spent the amount that could have gone on a possibly better turntable altogether - NAS Dias for instance?????????

Good point Dave

Yes i realize that ! Which is one of the reason's i like the Vantage mods , when you put the three together the cost is about the same as the Timestep HE !

Also its not fair to include the price of the arm , as no turntable usually comes free with a 309:)

DSJR
05-06-2011, 18:30
Look fellas, it's your money and you spend it in the way you feel best, that's all :) :peace:

Peter Stockwell
05-06-2011, 18:32

After spending a few grand on a Techie, money you won't get back as these updates are little known outside of the very few hundred which are "we," you'll have spent the amount that could have gone on a possibly better turntable altogether

Maybe, most likely, in fact. But at least a teccie will always be listenable (unlike an LP12, IMO, of course). Plus I think there are people who just love to tweak!

DSJR
05-06-2011, 18:39
In fairness to the LP12's made in very recent years - they seem to fall together in setup and just don't appear to have the problems the 70's and 80's models had when new.

Reid Malenfant
05-06-2011, 18:44
In fairness to the LP12's made in very recent years - they seem to fall together in setup and just don't appear to have the problems the 70's and 80's models had when new.
So it only took them 30 - 40 years to get there act together then? :lolsign:

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey indeed :doh:

MCRU
05-06-2011, 20:12
Would anyone care to trial my new Technics PSU? It will be ready in the next week or so, not your ordinary mass market product either. For a start it has a Furutech XLR input for the DC lead and a Furutech IEC inlet for the mains lead, also supplied with kimber pbj cabling for the dc lead and sorbothane feet as standard.

chris@panteg
05-06-2011, 20:28
Would anyone care to trial my new Technics PSU? It will be ready in the next week or so, not your ordinary mass market product either. For a start it has a Furutech XLR input for the DC lead and a Furutech IEC inlet for the mains lead, also supplied with kimber pbj cabling for the dc lead and sorbothane feet as standard.

Sounds very interesting David :) What sort of price are we looking at ?

Any photo's , who designed it ? Or is that on a need to know basis :)

MCRU
05-06-2011, 22:05
Sounds very interesting David :) What sort of price are we looking at ?

Any photo's , who designed it ? Or is that on a need to know basis :)

Hi Chris,
I decided from the off to make a PSU that did not need to be sold as a basic one and then another better one for more money, cannot really see the point in that, better to just have one model that does all that is required (especially able to drive a heavy platter).

So the one I have available soon will be £495, no photos yet but I will post a more comprehensive case study nearer the launch date, the PSU is made in the UK by a respected designer specializing in this field, I also have a PSU for the Squeezbox touch in the pipe line, I have the first one in use myself and it's a corker.

snapper
06-06-2011, 00:08
But at least a teccie will always be listenable (unlike an LP12, IMO, of course).

Or maybe an LP12 will always be listenable,unlike a teccie.

IMO, :rolleyes: Of course.

:violin:

Peter Stockwell
06-06-2011, 06:45
Or maybe an LP12 will always be listenable,unlike a teccie.

I was being deliberately contentious :)

MartinT
06-06-2011, 08:30
Marco and Martin can give you a detailed answer to this a both have taken the 1210 very far

Ok, these are the things which I consider important. To help with your selection, I've tried grading them out of 5. Discuss!

Primary upgrade components for key improvements in sound quality:

- External power supply (5)
- Improved bearing (4)
- Better arm (4)

Secondary upgrade components, all of which contribute well:

- Isolation feet (3)
- Improved platter (3)
- Mat (3)
- Clamp/weight (2)

Finishing touches:

- Headshell (2)
- Arm cable (2-3)
- Cartridge (1-5)

Hope this helps :)

MartinT
06-06-2011, 08:38

Dave - seriously - I'd like to hear the NAS against my Techie. I say this because I've listened to a lot of turntables and my Techie has risen from 'quite interesting' to 'leading edge' as I've applied the updates. I rarely hear anything that can touch it now, short of the Continuum. Needless to say, it cost me a lot less than that!

Peter Stockwell
06-06-2011, 09:19
Ok, these are the things which I consider important. To help with your selection, I've tried grading them out of 5. Discuss!

Primary upgrade components for key improvements in sound quality:

- External power supply (5)
- Improved bearing (4)
- Better arm (4)

Secondary upgrade components, all of which contribute well:

- Isolation feet (3)
- Improved platter (3)
- Mat (3)
- Clamp/weight (2)

Hope this helps :)

Hi Martin,

I think I've got the better arm sorted (SMEIV, I always wanted one). I think my KAB power supply is lagging behind these days, so I think that's the primary candidate. Then it looks like the bearing.

I have the Isonoe feet, didn't care for Clamp/weight on the record I have a Herbies Platter mat, thicker than the sound hifi recommended, which I had, but it makes VTA easier to set.

I think the phono stage is a limiting factor too, good as the Nano is for the price.

This will probably be my autumn project :)

MartinT
06-06-2011, 09:30
Hi Peter

Yes, the only reason I didn't include phono stage in the list is that it's not strictly part of the turntable, but it is definitely a part of the record playing system.

I see you're using an AT33PTG, which is a fine cartridge. May I suggest a different approach? Buy a Bob's Devices CineMag step-up transformer, and reset the Clearaudio Nano for MM input. I think you'd be amazed at how good the AT sounds with the SUT in circuit. It might give the Nano a boost in performance as you won't be demanding such extreme gain from it. Overall, your sound will take a very positive step up in quality for only about $400 or so.

Marco
07-06-2011, 08:42
Hi Peter,

Sorry I'm arriving late to this thread... Glad you're thinking of further optimising the performance of your Techy. It's about time, mate! ;)

I'm seeing loads of stuff since stopping at a KABusa power supply, SME IV and Isonoe feet with mine.

So if I were to move mine up, where do I start and where could I go. More importantly, what order ?

If you take my advice and upgrade in order I'm about to suggest, then I guarantee you'll be listening to your Techy much more than your Wadia... Apologies if I've missed info already stated in previous posts, as I've not had time to read them.

Ok, first of all, how much dosh roughly do you have to spend? There's no point in me recommending the (superb) Mike New products if you don't have $625 for a high-precision bearing and $965 for a Copper Composite platter - or similarly, £550 for a Paul Hynes SR5-21 PSU...

If you do however, then quite simply, buy all three products and you'll be in audio nirvana!! Job done.

Alternatively..... If you want the 'biggest bang' for somewhat less expenditure, then the first thing I'd do is upgrade the KAB PSU for an SR5-21, even if that eats up all or most of your available budget, such would be the hugely fundamental nature of such an upgrade, in terms of how your T/T will present music.

If you'd like to spread your available funds more then go for the SR3, which is about 80% as good as an SR5, and no doubt Paul would allow you to trade it in for an SR5, should you wish, at a later date.

Both the SR3 and SR5, in my experience, outperform the KAB and also the standard Timestep PSU (I haven't heard the SE), and indeed any other aftermarket PSUs I've heard for the Techy. Paul has some unique insight into power supply design.

If you were going for the SR3, then you may have some funds available for the excellent Vantage Audio bearing, which I've not heard myself, but which others on AoS rate. Even though I've not heard the effect of his bearing, it's quite clear to me that Richard (from Vantage) knows what he's doing with the Techy, or indeed almost any quality Jap direct-drive T/T.

Fitting an SR3 and a Vantage Audio bearing would undoubtedly catapult the performance of your T/T into a different league, as would of course fitting any or all of the Mike New products - it all depends on how much dosh you have to spend.

Are you still using the Herbie's mat? If so, that needs to go, as there are so many other better options available now, such as the superb Achromat and Blue Horizon, or better still, the Oyaide mat and record weight! A Michell record clamp in conjunction with an Achromat or Blue Horizon mat would also work wonders, at considerably lower cost.

Those are just some preliminary thoughts.........

However, I'm kinda working blind, dude, until you tell me what your budget is. Once I know that, I'll outline exactly what I consider is the best way of spending it! :cool:

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-06-2011, 12:18
Hi Peter,

Sorry I'm arriving late to this thread... Glad you're thinking of further optimising the performance of your Techy. It's about time, mate! ;)
Those are just some preliminary thoughts.........

However, I'm kinda working blind, dude, until you tell me what your budget is. Once I know that, I'll outline exactly what I consider is the best way of spending it! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

At the moment, I'm wondering were I should set the budget. However I don't see myself putting another £2000 into the Teccie, even if in ultimate terms it's a great value. If I did, it would have to be one piece at a time.

The first bite, I was thinking say £500 -> £800. However my kit is in extreme flux at the moment, and I don't want to dive into the Teccie upgrades until the rest is settled ( I did buy the missus a diamond, so the road is clear for audio upgrades ;) ).

JazzBones
07-06-2011, 14:27
G'day Pete,

I'm really pleased that AoS family are giving you the benefit of their journey with the Tekko 1210 and I've learnt alot myself from reading input from here. Our Teks have taken various paths along the route to heightened musical nirvana, I myself am still a travellin'.

I maybe wrong, but I think that Kabusa (USA) were amongst the first to market upgrade goodies, then I believe along came the 'new kid on the block' Dave Cawley with his bits'n'pieces and a holistic approach :) Whilst in Oz Mike New was beavering away on the mechanical side with his bearing (the best I think so forget the others) and of course his world famous platters (this can be left to a future time when theres more pennies in the jam jar). Timestep standard and HE PSU, Paul Hynes outboard PSU units (highly rated by Marco and MartinT) and following on has been Vantage Audio's PSU and of course David Brook's (Mains Cables R Us) forthcoming offering... this should be interesting :). On top of all this there are various feet (Isonoe etc), mats, clamps, cables and a magic brush to dust everything down with. Of course there is or was an acrylic platter from Arthur K as well as Vantage Audio's breathed upon Tek's platter...well feck me no wonder this is all bewildering to someone on the start line :confused:

I myself started with the Mike New bearing, the very best as I have stated above, on the premises that get the platter rotational point right (like good comfortable trainers when out jogging) also the MN bearing is not mass produced so these will not always be readily available so get one whilst available! Then the turntable feet sorted, and then start to cherry pick the PSU starting with say the Vantage Audio one as starters and once again when the jam jar is full again upgrade if you want or need to. The rest will fall into place.

I have not rid myself of any original parts from my 1210 as thinking ahead I can always put the table back in its original state linked to a PSU, flog this for more money that I paid for and sell seperately the upgraded mats, etc thus raising better returns, no?

Finally, it use to be the Linn LP12 (I own one..its good :)) that use to have everyone coming out of the workshops to upgrade it and they still do, NOW & Wow! we have worthy ones again at their work benches doing a parallel thang for the Technics 1200/10 SLs. Choice can be difficult but thank the energising powers of the universe for choice, ain't it just great? :cheers:

Ron

Marco
07-06-2011, 14:38
Ok, Peter, for £500-800, I'd go for an SR5-21 PSU from Paul Hynes, as the KAB PSU is your current 'weak link' (it's still a very good PSU, but Paul's designs are in a league of their own, IMO).

In my experience so far, the SR5 is the best PSU there is for the Techy. I'd have said an SR3, which is fab, but at some point the desire to hear an SR5 is going to be too much, so you may as well do it now in one hit, save yourself time and money, and then box it off as 'job done'! :)

Are you any good with a soldering iron and a set of simple instructions? If so, you can order the SR5-21 as a kit, and save a fortune... Just a thought. If this is an option, we'll discuss later what you should do with the money you've saved!

Anyway, presuming that you've just spent £525 on a ready-assembled SR5-21 (perhaps less with an AoS discount), I'd use the remainder of your £800 max budget for buying a Vantage Audio bearing - providing that you don't intend to spend the necessary moolah on a Mike New one in the near future - otherwise make do with the stock Techy one until you can afford one of Mike's.

My recomendations tend to be of the long-term variety, as I believe in doing the job right, once and for all! ;)

If you want to leave the bearing upgrade until later (and get one of Mike's, which is ultimately what I'd recommend), then spend some of your existing budget, left over after buying an SR5, on a better mat and a good quality record clamp, such as the Michell.

What mat are you currently using? You didn't say...

I've also read that you've been mentioning upgrading your phono stage. That's a different ball-game entirely, and I can advise on this if necessary. It will depend on how much of your budget you're willing to divert from your T/T upgrading.

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-06-2011, 15:42
I got to run out to jump up and down a bit, get back to you all in the morning.

Marco
07-06-2011, 16:38
I got to run out to jump up and down a bit...

Oo-er, that sounds promising! Who's the lucky lady? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
07-06-2011, 19:18
Oo-er, that sounds promising! Who's the lucky lady? :eyebrows:

Marco.

I said jump, like jumping jacks ...

Marco
07-06-2011, 19:52
Ah right, of course! ;)

Anyway, let me know what you think of what I've suggested.

Marco.

CableMaker1
08-06-2011, 00:09

Look at it another way - if you keep your highly modded Techie for years that you spent thousands on, you would have gotten your money back tenfold reaping the benefits in the enjoyment factor.

Most of us who modify our techies to an ultimate satisfaction would not even imagine parting with it.

CableMaker1
08-06-2011, 00:17

Thanks

This is what I did (and would recommend) with my Technics TT in the follwoing order which has given tremendous results -
1. Timestep PSU, SME 309 Arm and my own audio cables. This was all done at the same time. (SME V tonearm is the best SME offers, along with the cables I offer give the best results)
2. Mike New Bearing (the best bearing out there for the Techie)
3. Herbies Audio Mat
4. Audio Technica OC9-ML/II MC Cartridge (my first MC Cart)
The AT440ML gave me pretty good results with the TT.

If you like the sound you are getting from you mod project - then you should also consider the following:
5. Isonone Feet (I have this)
6. A good record weight - such as the Oyaide (highly favored) or TTWeights (which I have)
7. A copper or Oyaide Mat (I just got a copper mat)

You may want to forgo 6 and 7 and shoot for the Mike New Platter, then select a mat afterwards for the ultimate upgrade. Make sure to have Mike New Bearing which is needed for his platter.

Also, get yourself a good Phono Preamp unit. I am using a PS-Audio GCPH Modded Phono Preamp.

With this setup, I find the results of vinyl superceeding my digital system.

Good luck with the project!!!

CableMaker1
08-06-2011, 00:23

I have the Mike New Bearing. I highly recommend it!!! This gives you the benefit of using the platter he offers. If you like the sound performance you are getting from the mods, you will be on your way to the ultimate sounding TT for the money.

CableMaker1
08-06-2011, 01:12
Hi Marco,

At the moment, I'm wondering were I should set the budget. However I don't see myself putting another £2000 into the Teccie, even if in ultimate terms it's a great value. If I did, it would have to be one piece at a time.

The first bite, I was thinking say £500 -> £800. However my kit is in extreme flux at the moment, and I don't want to dive into the Teccie upgrades until the rest is settled ( I did buy the missus a diamond, so the road is clear for audio upgrades ;) ).

I say if you are going to do it, you should do it with the best components you can realisticly afford. It may take some time to get there, but in the end, it will be worth it, and you would have taken the best path possible only having to do each part only once, maybe twice on some items depending on the path you decide to take.

All lists are recommended in the best of their category to good. Ideally, you will want do the top four or five first and then consider the rest at your own pace.

Keep in mind that some work well with the stock platter whereas others will work well with the Mike New Platter - based on what I read on the forum here. So if you get some items that work well with the stock platter and later decide to go with the better Mike New Platter, you may want to be open minded on replacing a few items to get items that match best for elevated performance.

Good luck!!!

Power Supply:
Paul Hynes Power Supplies I hear are the best - SR5-21 is the top, then the S3.
Then the Timestep which works well in my experience

Tonearm:
SME V
SME 309
Jelco 750D (dont have one myself, but you cant go wrong for the money!)
Make sure to purchase an armboard for the Techie when going with these arms.
The stock arm is good, but the wiring can be MUCH BETTER on the 1200 series!!!

Tonearm Cable:
CableMaker1 Master Series (enough said)

Bearing:
Mike New (enough said)

Platter:
Mike New (enough said - make sure to get the Mike New Bearing and a Timestep or Paul Hynes)

Mats:
Oyaide or Copper Mat (I have a copper mat, but others should chime who have compared both if you want to know differences between the two)
Acrhomat works well on the Mike New Platter from what I read on the forum
Herbies Audio Mat - works well for the stock platter in my experience. Check with others if you go with the Mike New Platter

Weights:
Oyaide (perhaps best choice when going with the MN Platter)
TTWeights SuperWeight (works well on the stock platter)

Isolation Feet:
Isonone (enough said)

Get a good phono preamp!!!
K&K Audio Phono Preamp Premium Kits - Maxxed out version if you go with an MC Cart. PM me if you need recommended options.
PS Audio GCPH Modified version (send me a PM for further details)

Thats all I can think of for now.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Peter Stockwell
08-06-2011, 06:58
There's a lot to digest here, but what's coming to the top of the pile is Paul Hynes SR5-21 psu. Anyone care to elaborate on the difference between the SR3 and the SR5. Marco, you ran the SR3 for a while and considered it superior to the Timestep, that you also had for a while ?

Next up is the Mike New stuff, but the Vantage bearing and platter upgrades look interesting and excellent value.

Flying into my system shortly, or already flown in, are

Sommercable Elephant SPM425 speaker cable, this is cable from a german pro audio cable manufacturer, some french forums have soken highly of it, it's about 4€ for a metre! (flown in)
Custom-hifi-cables powerigel clone, same idea, but not as expensive and in a more mundane package. (Flying in)
Temple Audio Bantam Gold (Power amp version) (Flying in)
So changing the teccie right now, is not on the cards but I would like to have a target. Tempted by the SR5, but it's a big bite, however, if the Bantam Gold lives up to expectations I can liberate some cash from selling some pseudo naim gear ;)

Like to know more about the Vantage audio approach

MartinT
08-06-2011, 07:11
For my part, I couldn't hear much if any difference between the Timestep and SR-3 power supplies. The SR-5 is a different story, and in a different league from the other two.

Marco
08-06-2011, 07:47
Hi Dave,

Lol - were you born with a NAS stuck up your botty? This always comes up! :doh:

Why would someone, like Peter, who's totally 'tuned into' the direct-drive way of music-making, suddenly abandon all of what he values about that and go the belt-drive route? Has he even hinted that he would consider doing this?

No. He wants to upgrade his Techy, so give it a rest, daftee! ;)

The fact is, even though the NAS is a quality 'high-mass' belt-drive T/T, it still won't ever sound like a modded Techy.

Also, I think you're grossly underestimating the potential demand that would exist if, say, Martin or me went 'ga-ga' for some unknown reason, and decided to sell our highly modified SL-1210s. Yes, of course, in the grand scheme of things, there would still be a limited market, compared to selling something like an LP12. But you're not thinking this through properly.

First of all, on AoS alone, there would be more than a few hundred potential buyers (as this is unquestionably the home of the modified Techy user), not to mention those on the other main forums. Of course we wouldn't get all of our money back, one never does, but I'm confident we would get a very good price for our T/Ts, if they were ever put up for sale.

And let's not also forget, Dave, the many THOUSANDS of people out there on the 'Net who own a Techy, and who may have read forums like this (or crucially, all the reviews recently in the hi-fi press), and be very tempted indeed to bag one of the most highly modified Techies available, and that's even before you factor in rarity value, considering that the SL-1200 and 1210 are now discontinued, particularly in the instance of my T/T, as it's a mint condition, far rarer, MK5 model, purchased from new. I even still have the box and all the original packaging!

Dave - seriously - I'd like to hear the NAS against my Techie. I say this because I've listened to a lot of turntables and my Techie has risen from 'quite interesting' to 'leading edge' as I've applied the updates. I rarely hear anything that can touch it now, short of the Continuum. Needless to say, it cost me a lot less than that!

Ditto, although having never heard the Continuum, I'd substitute it for my current reference, the superb Kenwood L-07D. But yes, basically, it would take a VERY good turntable indeed to compete with or outperform either of our T/Ts, and likely something in excess of a NAS. However, like you, I'm well up for doing the comparison :cool:

The point is, there are very few T/Ts out there which are capable of producing the type of sonic performance we're used to now, and take for granted, from vinyl replay - not even, to my ears, the venerable SP10, in its standard form. And the Mike New mods were fundamental in causing this state of affairs. Even Dave Cawley will tell you that the only T/T that will outperform a highly-modded SL-1200 is a highly-modded SP10!

Anyway, I just wanted to provide some realistic perspective on Dave's earlier remark. Let’s return now to helping Peter with his query...... :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 08:33
Hi Marco

I must say after a spell of negativity and foolishness on my part ! Ahem , i now feel my SL1210 could be something special , but i must also add that whether or not it outperforms an SP10 or NAS or LP12 or god knows what is of no concern to me ! I just want to reach a point where i'm just happy to just enjoy the music and think less of the kit so much .

I reached this "audio nirvana" with my old system.

Peter , why not contact Richard and get to know his thinking behind these upgrades , quite a lot of thought and work has gone into these .

I don't think its a bad thing to have the odd cynic about the place , we can't all sing the same tune.

Marco
08-06-2011, 08:47
Hi Peter,

There's a lot to digest here, but what's coming to the top of the pile is Paul Hynes SR5-21 psu. Anyone care to elaborate on the difference between the SR3 and the SR5. Marco, you ran the SR3 for a while and considered it superior to the Timestep, that you also had for a while ?

I think that I'm in the relatively unique position of having used at length the KAB PSU, stock Timestep, the SR3 and also the SR5, so I have a very good handle indeed on what each one does, sonically. And they are the best in that order.

To keep it simple, what we're basically taking about, as you start from the Timestep (you already know what the KAB does) and move up to the SR5, is a gradually greater lowering of the perceived noise floor, when listening to music, and also the allowing of the superb Technics D/D motor to deliver more of its true potential. The knock-on effect of this, of course, is improved accuracy, and with it, greater resolution.

This in turn has a fundamental impact on the ability of the Techy to faithfully reproduce the musical information on vinyl, which is of course exactly what you want from a turntable! Quite simply, out of all the above PSUs, the SR5 does this job the best. Therefore, it's a matter of choosing how far you want to go and what you're willing to pay.

What the SR5 also does, however, which is unique in my experience, is underpin music with a beguiling confidence and authority, allowing rhythms to ebb and flow naturally, and with it, possess a propulsive quality, which drives bass lines along with an infectious flamboyance, equal of the 'PRAT' the best Naim systems are renowned for. The other PSUs, good as they are, sound rather 'small' and anaemic in comparison, and lack the 'hewn from granite' foundation with music, given with the SR5.

I put this down to the fact that inside the SR5, there is a mains transformer bigger than that inside a Hicap! ;)

Quite simply, in an audio sense, you can never have too big a PSU in ANY piece of audio equipment. There are ALWAYS sonic benefits, when well implemented.

The other thing you mentioned was that you wanted your T/T to sound like the Wadia. I know exactly what you mean, as in my view, good T/Ts sound very similar to good CDPs. I'm sure that anyone who runs both hi-end digital and vinyl sources in their system would agree. It's certainly what happens chez-moi.

Therefore if you're not interested in creating some false notion of how music is supposed to sound, by imbuing it with euphonic coloration, and simply want to hear what your favourite recordings on vinyl actually sound like, good or bad, then adding an SR5 PSU and/or the other modifications which have been recommended, will bring you closer to achieving that ideal.

That's the best way I can put it, mate :cool:

Marco.

Marco
08-06-2011, 09:18
Hi Chris,

I must say after a spell of negativity and foolishness on my part ! Ahem , i now feel my SL1210 could be something special , but i must also add that whether or not it outperforms an SP10 or NAS or LP12 or god knows what is of no concern to me !

Lol - well I'm certainly glad you've seen the light, mate! Anyway, I'm honestly pleased for you that things have worked out :)

I've no real concern either if my T/T outperforms others, but since the subject was brought up, I offered my thoughts. I'm always up for a music sesh, though, and enjoy attending bake-offs.

I don't think its a bad thing to have the odd cynic about the place , we can't all sing the same tune.

Ha - indeed, and I'm glad you chose the word "cynic" rather than "sceptic"! ;)

Seriously, though, Dave and I love the bit of banter we have over this sort of thing, as that's all it really is :cool:

Going back to the main discussion at hand, one point I'd like to highlight, for Peter's benefit, is that Mike New and Arthur K, so far, remain the only people I'm aware of whose modifications for the Techy are engineered from the ground up to their own exclusive design, and of course one pays for that privilege accordingly.

Arthur, of course, has designed the Funk Firm version of a platter for the SL-1200/1210, sold by Sound Hi-fi, but which is so far an unknown quantity. All other Techy bearing or platter mods currently on the market are simply re-workings of the existing parts, with of course many of their inherent mechanical limitations still intact.

No-one else with the skills and necessary tooling, apart from Arthur K, has come forward so far to offer a genuine alternative to the bespoke products offered by Mike. Therefore, it's simply a matter of choosing how far you want to go and how much you're willing to pay.

Marco.

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 10:01
Thanks Marco

I know you do mean that :)

You may or may not know but Richard is doing the platter mod for me at the moment :) and he is going to deliver it in person along with another one to try in my SL-QL1

This should be in a couple of weeks , and what a lucky fellow i am :) Richard has promised to bring along "The Black Beast" :mad:

This is a project of his ,its a black SL10 , tweaked to within an inch of its life and a selection of classic Techincs P-mounts .

I think Peter does already have a pretty decently tricked out Techy , perhaps looking at his budget , i would suggest the Hynes SR3 with the Vantage bearing and platter mod !

The picture is of an unfinished modified platter for the SL-QL1.

Marco
08-06-2011, 10:16
Lol - I like the sound of "The Black Beast"! :eyebrows: I'm sure it'll be stunning....

Your recommendation for Peter is a sound one, but it'll all depend how far he ultimately wants to take his Techy. I have a sneaky feeling he might want to nail the PSU upgrade as 'job done', and go for the SR5.

Incidentally, I'm pleased to see bonded copper plates starting to feature on the platters of modified Technics T/Ts - I wonder who helped bring this 'fad' more into the public domain? ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 10:33
Lol - I like the sound of "The Black Beast"! :eyebrows: I'm sure it'll be stunning....

Your recommendation for Peter is a sound one, but it'll all depend how far he ultimately wants to take his Techy. I have a sneaky feeling he might want to nail the PSU upgrade as 'job done', and go for the SR5.

Incidentally, I'm pleased to see bonded copper plates starting to feature on the platters of modified Technics T/Ts - I wonder who started this 'fad'? ;)

Marco.

Yes, although I've not heard it myself , but he could go for that and maybe just the Vantage bearing ? This would still sit within his budget and might just be enough to blow his socks off :) Actually i think it would .

Marco ' i would love to give you the credit for the copper bonded platter but Richard tells me he's been doing this since you were in short trouser's :eyebrows:

Marco
08-06-2011, 10:36
Hahahaha - I can quite believe it! See my recent edit ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 10:43
Hahahaha - I can quite believe it! See my recent edit ;)

Marco.

Very good and yes i will give you full credit for that :) Be interesting to see how you get on with the acrylic platter now , can't be far off ?

Peter may be interested in that but at £500 its most of his budget !

Peter Stockwell
08-06-2011, 10:47

Certainly looks a one stop, job done, option. I certainly can't be bothered to do it "n" times. I've been meaning to take the tranny out of the teccie, but still haven't got around to it! It can wait until I get a new PSU, and I was wondering about the tranny in the SR5 (The big tranny is why some prefer HiCaps to TeddyCaps, IMO). What's lacking in my teccie, compared to the Wadia, is the authority, and especially clarity, in the bass! (Lost a bit of that in my cable shuffle, so don't want to go crazy until I have the cables fully sorted, or burn in, or whatever it is that cables do when one is not looking ;))

I have to admit that from the piccies of the Vantage platter mod it looks the business, even if it's not the no compromise approach of Mike New. Don't want to bother Vantage, until I'm ready to take action, but I note that the psu options from vantage are "from" £149, so I wonder how far that can go ?

JazzBones
08-06-2011, 11:01
For my part, I couldn't hear much if any difference between the Timestep and SR-3 power supplies. The SR-5 is a different story, and in a different league from the other two.

Hi Martin I'm glad you have chucked this card on the table as I believe your ex PSU was the standard Timestep PSU, please correct me if I'm wrong?

The HE low noise TS PSU (the one I use at this time) has not had a side by side unbiased comparison as far as I am aware of, or for that matter the top Origin Live model, top Kab, and the forthcoming David Brooks one, therefore I am reluctant to conclude that the PH SR-5 is the very best of the crop until the aforementioned comparisons have been made although I have no doubts to its effectiveness (PH). I have stated that the MN bearing is the very best of the crop simply because of its outstanding engineering, ground upwards, and unlike the others on offer, as far as I know, does not recycle the Technics standard casing and spindle. Further, the MN bearing correctly couple to the MN strengthening plate further advances its standing as supremo bearing. I don't have this same awe of the Pual Hynes PSU at this point of time but I once again restate that I believe it to be good :) the SR3 having 80% of big brother's performance (Marco) so if we say the standard TS has 80% of the HE the comparison would at least be intriquing would it not, let battle commence? :rolleyes:

Ron

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 11:12
Hi Martin I'm glad you have chucked this card on the table as I believe your ex PSU was the standard Timestep PSU, please correct me if I'm wrong?

The HE low noise TS PSU (the one I use at this time) has not had a side by side unbiased comparison as far as I am aware of, or for that matter the top Origin Live model, top Kab, and the forthcoming David Brooks one, therefore I am reluctant to conclude that the PH SR-5 is the very best of the crop until the aforementioned comparisons have been made although I have no doubts to its effectiveness (PH). I have stated that the MN bearing is the very best of the crop simply because of its outstanding engineering, ground upwards, and unlike the others on offer, as far as I know, does not recycle the Technics standard casing and spindle. Further, the MN bearing correctly couple to the MN strengthening plate further advances its standing as supremo bearing. I don't have this same awe of the Pual Hynes PSU at this point of time but I once again restate that I believe it to be good :) the SR3 having 80% of big brother's performance (Marco) so if we say the standard TS has 80% of the HE the comparison would at least be intriquing would it not, let battle commence? :rolleyes:

Ron

Hi Ron

I'm sensing a Techy bake off :) Maybe Scalford next year perhaps ? By that time mine should be fully Vantaged , heck i might bring the QL1 as well , so folks can judge for themselves whether or not I'm living in cloud Kinnock land :eyebrows:

JazzBones
08-06-2011, 11:43
Hi Ron

I'm sensing a Techy bake off :) Maybe Scalford next year perhaps ? By that time mine should be fully Vantaged , heck i might bring the QL1 as well , so folks can judge for themselves whether or not I'm living in cloud Kinnock land :eyebrows:

Yo there Chris, that would be very very interesting and worth harnessing the mule to the cart and trekking my way up to Scalford :) A couple of days ago I was having a phonecon with Mark Baker of Origin Live, prompted by Rafeal Todes audtion of the Tek in HiFi World sometime back. Amongst various subjects I talked about bonding my Rubato copper to the stock Tek platter, He did not think this was a good idea as there would be a larger mass with the possibility of resonance. I told him that I experimented with a SDS mat but now I was interested in his method of sandwiching the Tek rubber mat twix two of his very thin black mats and that I would try the idea with my Rubato (TS :doh:) so that will be yet another ingredient. I will also replace my Isonoe feet with four of the Origin Live ones as my Tekko sits on a Max Townshend bellows/spring Seismic sink... I'm fast developing into a mad scientist, wheres the white coat!!!! :eek:
:donk: Ron

MartinT
08-06-2011, 11:49

That's correct.

I have stated that the MN bearing is the very best of the crop simply because of its outstanding engineering, ground upwards, and unlike the others on offer, as far as I know, does not recycle the Technics standard casing and spindle.

Also correct.

MartinT
08-06-2011, 11:50
I'm sensing a Techy bake off :) Maybe Scalford next year perhaps ?

My deck will be in the AoS room at Scalford next year.

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 11:55
My deck will be in the AoS room at Scalford next year.

Very good :)

chris@panteg
08-06-2011, 11:56
Yo there Chris, that would be very very interesting and worth harnessing the mule to the cart and trekking my way up to Scalford :) A couple of days ago I was having a phonecon with Mark Baker of Origin Live, prompted by Rafeal Todes audtion of the Tek in HiFi World sometime back. Amongst various subjects I talked about bonding my Rubato copper to the stock Tek platter, He did not think this was a good idea as there would be a larger mass with the possibility of resonance. I told him that I experimented with a SDS mat but now I was interested in his method of sandwiching the Tek rubber mat twix two of his very thin black mats and that I would try the idea with my Rubato (TS :doh:) so that will be yet another ingredient. I will also replace my Isonoe feet with four of the Origin Live ones as my Tekko sits on a Max Townshend bellows/spring Seismic sink... I'm fast developing into a mad scientist, wheres the white coat!!!! :eek:
:donk: Ron

Nothing wrong with that :) Some of the best audio techs were a bit batty .

Marco
08-06-2011, 12:51
Hi Ron,

The HE low noise TS PSU (the one I use at this time) has not had a side by side unbiased comparison as far as I am aware of, or for that matter the top Origin Live model, top Kab, and the forthcoming David Brooks one, therefore I am reluctant to conclude that the PH SR-5 is the very best of the crop until the aforementioned comparisons have been made...

Would it help if I said that I have it on very good authority (from an audio engineer and someone who knows the cost of electronic parts), who has opened up a stock Timestep PSU and looked inside, that the components used therein would cost no more than £10-15, maximum, from Maplins?

And given that the stock Timestep PSU and the SE share the same case, what are the chances that there are any major differences between the two? That, incidentally, doesn't make either a bad PSU, but it gives some insight into the design principles of the manufacturer.

By the way, I'm not saying this to stir things, and certainly not to upset you; I'm simply relating what I've been told from a very reliable source, and it is information relevant to this discussion.

Marco.

JazzBones
08-06-2011, 14:16
Hi Ron,

Would it help if I said that I have it on very good authority (from an engineer and someone who knows the cost of electronic parts), who has opened up a stock Timestep PSU and looked inside, that the components used therein would cost no more than £10-15, maximum, from Maplins?

And given that the stock Timestep PSU and the SE share the same case, what are the chances that there are any major differences between the two?

By the way, I'm not saying this to stir things; I'm simply relating what I've been told from a very reliable source.

Marco.

Hi Marco, I'm not wanting to stir things up either; no way and I ain't gonna play:), but I would be interested who the engineer is? I can't help thinking could it be Paul Hynes himself*, maybe not but you haven't named names have you, also there is or has been negative history with Dave Cawley manifesting itself on the AoS, from myself included. I paid half the price of a PHSR5-21 for my TS HE, can it be bettered of course it can but I need to hear it myself over reasonable time this would go for any other PSU I was contemplating as a replacement. As for a parts count I'm sure if you opened up one of Glenn Croft's amps you are likely to find that the parts are not OTT or SOTA either but by Jiminy it sounds good so its not really parts but how they're put together I would venture? Maplins are a good source for electronic goodies including a soldering iron and instructions on its usage :lol:

Now back to the *: Looking at Paul Hynes's website I have great respect for his product range and I definitely am not knocking the honorable gentleman himself. We have never met or conversed but I know there is alot of goodwill and satisfied customers who have his products on their shelves, as for his Tek PSU SR5-21 I wish it had better looking case work, like his other offerings, for me it doesn't rock my switch but I will not go so far as saying it resembles a breeze block :doh::stalks:

What we are all up against here is the old saying 'different mods for different bods' or summat about floatin' a boat :yay:

Ron

Paul Hynes
08-06-2011, 14:52
Hi Marco,

I’ve been rather busy with work and home issues since Xmas and I am catching up with things. I have not forgotten that I promised you some DC leads to try out. Sorry it has been so long. I have had to give priority to catching up with my order list backlog but now I’m starting to get my weekends back for playing with my own toys, so I will get these leads set up for you next week when the cable order arrives.

I caught your suggestion of an AOS members discount for the SR5-21 a few pages back. I think this is a good idea, so from now on, until further notice, all AOS members can request a 10% discount on the current model of the SR5 (the SR5 has a new anodised aluminium case) and it’s matching DC lead. This does not extend to the insured carriage and packing charge as these are fixed costs and beyond my control.

Out of interest I have built the additional regulator modules to isolate all the important chip power supplies on my SL1210 main board and should have these installed and tested over the next few weeks. I will report back with the results.

Hi Ron,

I have not discussed the insides of the Timestep power supply with Marco as I had never seen one until the beginning of this year and I have not spoken to Marco during this period.

Out of interest the SR5 and heavier duty SR7 now have a new case made from anodised aluminium extrusions and panels. It is still large to accommodate the transformer and electronics but it does look easier on the eye.

Regards to all
Paul

JazzBones
08-06-2011, 15:58
......quote from Paul Hynes

I have not discussed the insides of the Timestep power supply with Marco as I had never seen one until the beginning of this year and I have not spoken to Marco during this period.

Out of interest the SR5 and heavier duty SR7 now have a new case made from anodised aluminium extrusions and panels. It is still large to accommodate the transformer and electronics but it does look easier on the eye.

Regards to all
Paul

Hi Paul, I am pleased to be able to have this brief forum chat with you. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings about the casing for the SR5 and I will look up the new presentation on your website. Now down to business, could you, at your convenience and time, PM the cost of your NEW case SR5 plus P&P, don't forget the 10% for my religious conversion and observance to AoS, Oi vey already :lol: It would be easier for me to initially disconnect my TS HE and using the same TS soldered mains lead connect up your SR5 to make a comparison, is this possible?

Actually on second thinking, if you want, publish on here the info I seek above instead of the personal PM, others might be interested?

Thanks

Ron :respect:

Paul Hynes
08-06-2011, 16:42
Ron,

You did not hurt my feelings about the casing. I have to admit that I do not spend much time on presentation. I put my efforts into the performance. I started using the heavy “breezeblock” case because of its thermal attributes but it was hard work to machine so I changed to a different, easy to machine, case. The two photos in the links below are the heavy-duty SR7 version of the power supply range that I set up for powering items like the Mac Mini, Macbook Pro and various audio server motherboards. The SR5 is the same case without the large heatsink on the front panel. This will allow you to see the new case finish. Don’t look for this supply on my old website. The new website is a completely different design and it will be a while before it is ready as there is a lot of writing to complete due to the rather large range of products that will have to be listed.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SR7Silvercasefinish.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SR7internaldualsupply.jpg

I normally sell the SR5 for £525 so this drops to £472.50 with the 10% discount and for those who want the DC5C high performance DC lead which I normally sell for £45 this drops to £40.50 with the 10% discount. Insured carriage and packing costs £25 in the UK.

I can fit a 2.5mm DC jack alongside the XLR connecter used for the DC out and these two connectors are wired in parallel so you can just swap supplies using the DC jack lead on your deck for comparison purposes. There will be no extra charge for this connector.

All of my products are built to order. Orders are placed in the build schedule on receipt of cleared funds. The build schedule lead-time is currently 36 to 48 working days for this product depending on the lead time for the custom transformer.

Payment can be via PayPal by sending funds to paul@paulhynesdesign.com in GBP. Please remember to include details of what you are ordering and ensure that a delivery address is also included. Alternatively payment can be by bank transfer. If this method of payment is chosen I will forward details of the bank collection account to enable payment.

My guarantee covers parts and labour for three years from receipt of goods, subject to correct application, and is transferable should you decide to re-sell at a later date. I also give a 56 day, return if not satisfied, for any reason, guarantee. This allows a reasonable burn in period before appraisal.

If I can be of further help let me know.

Regards
Paul

Regards
Paul

Wakefield Turntables
08-06-2011, 19:21
Paul,

i have a timestep HE. Would it be of any benefit to you if i sent you some pictures of the internal workings so you can see how one is composed?? I'm intending buying the SR5 but would a SR7 be any better on a 1210?? Also is there any chance we can set up a time when I can chat to you over the phone with regards my requirements for my 1210's power supply needs??

JazzBones
08-06-2011, 19:41
Thanks Paul, you've got me interested now :). My Timestep HE (the senior of two) has the detachable four pin output lead from the PSU to the internal soldered point on the 1210, and no jack output so for the time being can this lead be retained as I don't wish to keep breaking and then remaking this particular soldered connection, I've already done it twice? Secondly, for cosmetic harmony, can the case work come in black? I guess I can always get your DC high performance lead at a later date?

Re payment, will you accept payment by cheque (I don't have Paypal), your dispatch to be made only after funds have been cleared your end?

Thanks mate
Ron

Paul Hynes
08-06-2011, 22:21
Andrew and Ron,

From your comments about the Timestep HE, there are differences between this and the standard Timestep regarding the DC connection lead. I will need information about the type of connector and the pin configuration to enable a suitable parallel connector to be fitted to the SR5 to allow quick changeover using the Timestep lead for comparison purposes. Photos will help and connector pin numbers with their voltage designations would be useful so we do not get things the wrong way around.

The SR7 is the same as the SR5 except that it has the addition of a large heatsink on the front panel to allow continuous high current operation required for computer power supplies. The regulator module is the same but it is just set up for different output voltages.

I can get the case in Black anodised but the cost is considerably higher as the panel edges have to be milled and the panels machined by the case manufacturer before anodising, as I cannot guarantee to achieve clean machining in my workshop on the black finished panels. Slight handling marks that are invisible on the silver anodised finish stand out like a sore thumb on the black finish. From discussions with the case manufacturer the black anodised case will add around £100 to the SR5 price. It’s up to you whether you feel black is worth the extra cost. The DC5C is an option and is not mandatory. I can accept cheques from within the UK banking system. It takes an extra week to process a cheque payment from here in the Hebrides. I have to send the cheque by post to my bank in Cumbria where it then goes through the normal clearing system. This will affect the lead-time.

I have answered your business related questions in this post, as they are direct questions, but I think perhaps we are in danger of doing business in the wrong area of the forum so I think in future we should restrict discussions to technical issues in this thread and use the PM system for business activity. Perhaps Marco can illuminate me regarding site protocol.

Andrew, you are welcome to call for a chat, but I would appreciate it if you could limit the call time to around 10 or 15 minutes as answering the phone causes delays in my product build schedule whereas e-mail can be answered when convenient. Afternoons are best between 2pm and 5pm and I am usually around Monday to Friday although I sometimes have to go out for a while to the post office. I do prefer the technical discussions via e-mail as this gives a record of the important information about equipment and power supply options that can be referred to easily to verify that orders are correctly specified and completed. Sometimes customisation is requested and it is possible to forget details without hard copy.

Regards
Paul

JazzBones
09-06-2011, 16:16
Thanks Paul, for above info. Will now switch to email for further action.
Forget the black.

Thanks
Ron :thumbsup:

chris@panteg
10-06-2011, 06:57
Certainly looks a one stop, job done, option. I certainly can't be bothered to do it "n" times. I've been meaning to take the tranny out of the teccie, but still haven't got around to it! It can wait until I get a new PSU, and I was wondering about the tranny in the SR5 (The big tranny is why some prefer HiCaps to TeddyCaps, IMO). What's lacking in my teccie, compared to the Wadia, is the authority, and especially clarity, in the bass! (Lost a bit of that in my cable shuffle, so don't want to go crazy until I have the cables fully sorted, or burn in, or whatever it is that cables do when one is not looking ;))

I have to admit that from the piccies of the Vantage platter mod it looks the business, even if it's not the no compromise approach of Mike New. Don't want to bother Vantage, until I'm ready to take action, but I note that the psu options from vantage are "from" £149, so I wonder how far that can go ?

Hi Peter

You might surprised to know that it go's up to 250 of your english pounds , Richard prefer's to use an Acrylic case for the psu ! This helps to keep the cost down , but its not the reason why he uses it.

Marco
10-06-2011, 09:01
Hi Paul,

Sorry I've got to this late - been a bit busy :)

I have not forgotten that I promised you some DC leads to try out. Sorry it has been so long. I have had to give priority to catching up with my order list backlog but now I’m starting to get my weekends back for playing with my own toys, so I will get these leads set up for you next week when the cable order arrives.

No worries, mate, I know how it is! I'd love to try your DC leads, as discussed. Pop me a PM when you've sent them, so I know that they're on their way :cool:

I caught your suggestion of an AOS members discount for the SR5-21 a few pages back. I think this is a good idea, so from now on, until further notice, all AOS members can request a 10% discount on the current model of the SR5 (the SR5 has a new anodised aluminium case) and it’s matching DC lead. This does not extend to the insured carriage and packing charge as these are fixed costs and beyond my control.

Nice one, Paul - that'll be much appreciated by folks!

Out of interest I have built the additional regulator modules to isolate all the important chip power supplies on my SL1210 main board and should have these installed and tested over the next few weeks. I will report back with the results.

Please do, as I would be very interested in that. I think that could be the ultimate! :eyebrows:

Marco.