PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sci-Fi Movies of all time..

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 22:08
I think this is restricted to the 70's tbh ;) I'll go first..

THX 1138

Reid Malenfant
02-06-2011, 22:13

THX 1138
Damn i love that film, Robert Duval...

Logan's Run, not sure if it's 70s though? :scratch: Jenny Agutter :drool: :drool: :drool:

Time for bed said Zebedee...

Of course :lol:

Alex_UK
02-06-2011, 22:14
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Alien
The Terminator

My top 5, not necessarily in that order...

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 22:16

Logan's Run, not sure if it's 70s though? :scratch: Jenny Agutter :drool: :drool: :drool:

It's about '76

Tim
02-06-2011, 22:16
Alien, by a country mile :)

Barry
02-06-2011, 22:17

THX 1138

Agreed and a whole lot better than any of the Star Wars films, but I would like to put a word in for Tarkovski' 'Solaris'. In fact Kubrick's '2001' isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

Although a matter of debate as to whether it is a science fiction film or not, I would also like to mention 'L'Annee Dernier A Marienbad'. (Brian Aldiss himself thought it to be one of the best sci-fi films ever made.)

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 22:24
Probably the greatest movie of all time mi Droogies : Clockwork Orange

:sofa:

Other essentials

Demon Seed
Andromeda Strain
Omega Man
Zordos
Futureworld
Soylent Green

Barry
02-06-2011, 22:37

Time for bed said Zebedee...

Of course :lol:

It's a pretty awful film and a waste of time, though Jenny Agutter is rather cute running around bra-less (as do all the females in the film).

Barry
02-06-2011, 22:47

Other essentials:

Demon Seed
Andromeda Strain
Omega Man
Zardoz
Futureworld
Soylent Green

No - it now looks very dated.

Andromeda Strain - so-so,

Omega Man - dated and again so-so,

Zardoz - too clever for its own good. Sean Connery looks ridiculous running around in a nappy loincloth, only made up for by Charlotte Rampling and all the other women not wearing bras and working in cool conditions!

Soylent Green - awful, absolutely awful and a complete travesty of the book. (So bad in fact that Ray Bradbury would have nothing to do with the film having read the screenplay based on his book.) Shame to think that the late Edward G. Robinson made his last screen appearance is this abomination of a film.

Barry
02-06-2011, 22:48
Alien, by a country mile :)

Oh yes, quite agree.

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 22:52
No - it now looks very dated.

Andromeda Strain - so-so,

Omega Man - dated and again so-so,

Zardoz - too clever for its own good. Sean Connery looks ridiculous running around in a nappy loincloth, only made up for by Charlotte Rampling and all the other women not wearing bras and working in cool conditions!

Soylent Green - awful, absolutely awful and a complete travesty of the book. (So bad in fact that Ray Bradbury would have nothing to do with the film having read the screenplay based on his book.) Shame to think that the late Edward G. Robinson made his last screen appearance is this abomination of a film.

Ger out wiv thi :lolsign:

Ok lets step in time 'The Martian Cronicles' (Rock Hudson :eyebrows:) 'Saturn 3' (Kirk Douglars) ;)

Spectral Morn
02-06-2011, 22:54
Day the Earth Stood Still

This Island Earth

Silent Running

Alien

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original and 1970's remake)

Primer

*edit* Earth Vs The Flying Saucers.

Regards D S D L

Barry
02-06-2011, 22:55
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Alien
The Terminator

My top 5, not necessarily in that order...

Blade Runner - excellent, excellent, excellent.

The Matrix - some interesting ideas ruined by Keano Reeve's awful acting. Looks good but the special effects quickly pall. Sequel and third part: a complete waste of celluliod.

Alien - one of the best modern sci-fi films ever made.

The Terminator - again a very good film. The sequel was just as good, the third part was awful: predictable and a waste of time.

Batty
02-06-2011, 22:58
Mars Attacks

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 22:59
:lolsign:

Batty
02-06-2011, 23:02
I laughed so much at that film.

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 23:07
No one mentioned 'The Planet Of The Apes' Beneath, Escape, Conquest & Battle for the Planet of the Apes..
shame on you

Fantastic Voyage, One Million Years B.C. bit of Raquel :eyebrows:

lurcher
02-06-2011, 23:08

This Island Earth

Silent Running

Alien

Primer

Regards D S D L

Yep, they would be close to my list as well, though I think Forbidden Planet and Metropolis should be in there as well. And I thoroughly agree that THX and Solaris deserve a place as well.

It will divide opinion but I think Avatar deserves to be in the list as well (if only for combining Dragonworld and Decision at Doona into one storyline).

DSJR
02-06-2011, 23:09

This Island Earth

Silent Running

Alien

Primer

Regards D S D L

Darn it Neil, you've beaten me to it... :lol:

Anyone mention "Forbidden Planet?" I can watch this every few years and still rate it highly. I even have a chuckle at the origin of the word "Krell.." (no Andr'e, Cpn Kremen & the Krell came decades afterwards :D"

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 07:26
Yep, they would be close to my list as well, though I think Forbidden Planet and Metropolis should be in there as well. And I thoroughly agree that THX and Solaris deserve a place as well.

It will divide opinion but I think Avatar deserves to be in the list as well (if only for combining Dragonworld and Decision at Doona into one storyline).

Aye, can't fault that list, but I'd add Dark Star. Very funny film.

lurcher
03-06-2011, 07:35
Oh, and Akira deserves a mention as well.

jandl100
03-06-2011, 08:21
Possibly my fave film of all time ... Independence Day. :) I must have watched it umpteen times. The characters are great and real, and imho an alien invasion could happen just like that!

& I love Emmerich's 2012 as well - the first two thirds of it anyway - real, interesting characters (like in ID), it's hilarious and the special effects are awesome. I could watch California sliding into the ocean any day of the year! :lol:

Oh, and Star Wars 2 - a wonderful love story and some great ideas - that cloner planet and its ocean-living inhabitants - fantastic.

Logan's Run? - y'only like it cos the lass Agutter got her t*ts out! :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 09:02
Aye, I'd have to put the first three Star Wars films up there too.

MartinT
03-06-2011, 09:09
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Alien
The Terminator

That's a great set. I would add:

Silent Running
The Jacket
Inception
Planet of the Apes (original)
Serenity
The Thing (John Carpenter)
Pitch Black

Thing Fish
03-06-2011, 09:32
In no particular order -

Alien
Fifth element
Event horizon

The most over rated sifi film ever IMHO is that bucket of pig w**k Star wars.

jandl100
03-06-2011, 09:44
.... it's amazing how poor most folks' tastes are! :lol:

Still, at least no-one's mentioned Avatar!

slate
03-06-2011, 09:48
.... it's amazing how poor most folks' tastes are! :lol:

Still, at least no-one's mentioned Avatar!

poor taste and short memory :lol:

BTW "Logans run" is getting a remake. Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn and Ryan Gosling is having a go at it.
I do remember Jenny Agutter from American werewolf... all nurses should be like that

MartinT
03-06-2011, 09:50
.... it's amazing how poor most folks' tastes are!

Says the one who likes Independence Day :lol:

jandl100
03-06-2011, 10:07
Says the one who likes Independence Day :lol:

Exactly! - only 1 person here has the excellent taste to appreciate such a finely constructed film. :)

I also have a real soft spot for the Disney animated film "Atlantis". :mental: :)

And the original Starship Troopers is a very subtle movie, once you get beneath the violence. And Denise Richards is always a pleasure to watch. :eek:

shane
03-06-2011, 10:18
Difficult to put these things in context. 2001 and Star Wars both seem fairly ho-hum now, but both were absolutely stunning when they were released. The space station docking scenes in 2001 to the strains of The Blue Danube were quite simply breath-taking in 1969.

Am I the only one here with a soft spot for Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Fond memories of watching that after an excellent seed cake...

MartinT
03-06-2011, 10:23
And the original Starship Troopers is a very subtle movie, once you get beneath the violence. And Denise Richards is always a pleasure to watch. :eek:

I liked the gradual change in the main characters from happy smiley people to stressed out, damaged shells of their original personas. That was well done and mirrors the book.

MartinT
03-06-2011, 10:29
The space station docking scenes in 2001 to the strains of The Blue Danube were quite simply breath-taking in 1969.

They still are! That film is as fresh as ever and still features special effects that defy the technology they had at their disposal. For instance, the lander landing at the moonbase, with all the people looking through various windows. Superbly done, but how did they get it so perfect?

slate
03-06-2011, 10:58
I liked the gradual change in the main characters from happy smiley people to stressed out, damaged shells of their original personas. That was well done and mirrors the book.

There is a book?! found it a bit cheesy first time, but it has a charm over it; not much to think about.

And it is in the same view I see Independence day.

I love:
- Blade Runner
- 2001; when in the mood... long... crisp amazing HD version
- Fifth Element; lots of laugh
- Event Horison; had me shivering.
- Alien; actually all 4 movies have their thing
- Solaris; a fan of Andrei Tarkovsky
- Predator; the original; the others are pale commercial exploitment
- Terminator; the original; it went downhill from there
- Stargate; the original; the series+movies are just to kill time

In the ok department
- Starwars
- Star trek (2009);
- Supernova; Robin Tunney getting down and dirty
- Sunshine
- Serenity; a fan of the series so the movie is a must
- Æon Flux; I recall the original cartons on MTV and thoose haunting sounds
- Minority

To kill time
- Total Recall
- Star Trek; all movies, except 2009

BTW my collection http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/slate_dk

Zoidburg
03-06-2011, 11:40

Dark Star is a great film. Blade runner and Aliens have to be on any list surely?

And predator 1 has to be one of my favs too. Even the recent "relaunch" I liked a lot.

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 11:41
Yes, agreed, Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite films.

lurcher
03-06-2011, 12:09
There is a book?! found it a bit cheesy first time, but it has a charm over it; not much to think about.

There most certainly was, Heinlein with his fashist hat on. Very good book though (IMHO), unlike the film, which would have had him spinning like a dizzy thing in his grave.

Shame that most of these films of the books are only made after the authors death. Gives one the suspiscion that the authors views on the screenplay would have been accompanied with "over my dead body".

Actually I think its the other way round in the book. At the beginning, the main characters are empty childlike and without purpose, but the end, they are commited adult citizens.

John
03-06-2011, 12:10
I hated Blade Runner when it firt came out, now its my favourite
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth stood still
Ditrict 9
Empire Strikes Back

lurcher
03-06-2011, 12:26
Yep, thats a good point, District 9 and Moon both deserve a mention.

Zoidburg
03-06-2011, 13:14
Yep, thats a good point, District 9 and Moon both deserve a mention.

Yeah enjoyed both these films. Deffinately Star Ship troopers would be high up on my list too, just for the fun / gore of it.

Gromit
03-06-2011, 13:25
Ok so we're bound to repeat a few....

Dark Star
Mars Attacks! (Tim Burton at his darkly hilarious best)
Event Horizon - always gives me the creeps
Alien - agreed when someone said earlier it's possibly one of the finest SF flicks made.
The Time Machine (the original) - scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.
Starship Troopers - wonderfully naff/take the piss SF
Independance Day - so shit it's brilliant. :lol:
Blade Runner - ranks up with Alien for me (I prefer the original version too)
District 9 - a real surprise that one, and stunning on Blu-Ray.

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 16:01
Ok so we're bound to repeat a few....

Dark Star
Mars Attacks! (Tim Burton at his darkly hilarious best)
Event Horizon - always gives me the creeps
Alien - agreed when someone said earlier it's possibly one of the finest SF flicks made.
The Time Machine (the original) - scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.
Starship Troopers - wonderfully naff/take the piss SF
Independance Day - so shit it's brilliant. :lol:
Blade Runner - ranks up with Alien for me (I prefer the original version too)
District 9 - a real surprise that one, and stunning on Blu-Ray.

Me too I love the film-noir voice over

I should have added

Moon

Forbidden Planet

Planet of the Apes and the two follow ups

Loguns Run (love this film still)

Start Trek two Wrath of Khan (First film for the opening shots of the three Klingon Battle cruisers going up against Vger. As a kid seeing this in the cinema ..... wow. Rest of the film is naff)

The Blob (remake)

Time Machine (original and remake)

The Thirteenth Floor

Enemy Mine

Fifth Element

Regards D S D L

MartinT
03-06-2011, 16:25
The Thirteenth Floor

Yes, I forgot that one. Excellent film.

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 17:10
Yes, I forgot that one. Excellent film.

A lot of people forget The Thirteenth Floor.

I like 1930's film-noir and this has that vibe + a bit of Blade Runner and The Matrix, though this film pre dates The Matrix.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2011, 17:40
Good film, unfortunately it's another one that gets panned on the blu ray review sites even though it's not as bad as many they give 5 stars to for video quality :scratch: :confused:

On a different subject:-

Another rather good funny one is Evolution :eyebrows: Or for a total pisstake try Spaceballs :lol:

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 17:46
Quatermas X Periment

Quatermas Two

Qauatermas and the Pit

Fiend Without A Face

Doomwatch

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 17:50
Bit off-topic, but I'm very much looking forward to this: Ian M Banks is coming to the Waterstones in Dunfermline in a couple of weeks, for a two hour informal chat about his new book and his books in general. It's a ticket event, and there are only 20 tickets available, and I have one!

Can't wait, I'm a big fan of his work.

MartinT
03-06-2011, 18:18
It's a ticket event, and there are only 20 tickets available, and I have one!

Lucky you! I just finished Matter and Transition recently and love his writing.

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 18:31
Yes, I think his stuff is great. I've been a fan since Consider Phlebas, his first SF book. It blew me away.

Gromit
03-06-2011, 18:48
Me too I love the film-noir voice over

I should have added

Forbidden Planet

Phew - I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes the first Blade Runner version. I admitted this to a few sci-fi geek mates and got accused of being a heretic! :rolleyes:

Forbidden Planet - one more I forgot. Very dark, and loosely based on Shakespeare of course. Superb.

Will check out Thirteenth Floor, not seen that one. :)

Barry
03-06-2011, 18:48
Whilst the original theatre version of Blade Runner was a breath of fresh air after all the Star Wars tosh we had been inficted with and I love the Chandleresque voice-over by Dekkart, without the dream sequence the film lacks a certain internal logic (re. the point of the little figures left by another 'blade runner').

Also the ending, forced upon Ridly Scott by the studio, is too upbeat. The director's cut (which does include the essential dream sequence) is much darker: with the future of both Dekkart and his Nexus 7 companion a lot more uncertain.

My ideal version would the director's cut + the voice over, but between the two, the director's cut is the obvious and only choice.

Regards

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2011, 18:56
Phew - I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes the first Blade Runner version. I admitted this to a few sci-fi geek mates and got accused of being a heretic! :rolleyes:
I'm with you, i prefer it as well. I have the 5 disc blu ray version & really need to see the Workprint version :rolleyes: So many discs, so little time :lol:

Yes do try to get to see The Thirteenth Floor, very underated film imo ;) I first recorded it onto DVD from Freeview, but as soon as i saw the BD i had to have it!

aquapiranha
03-06-2011, 19:28
No contest... the clear winner by a country mile is..

Forbidden Planet

Fantastic movie from start to finish. Based loosely around Shakespeare's The Tempest, with a brilliant cast, including the utterly adorable Anne Francis. This movie at the time was the fist to have an all electronic score, and also had used the biggest set yet seen. Of course the FX are a little below today's standards but overall I love this film. I still deliberate between this and The Wicker Man as my overall favourite movie. Also, this is where the hifi company Krell got their name ( the unseen alien race in the movie had designed a machine with limitless power)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

8y4crGU7dkg

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/f/forbidden-planet-1956--630-75.jpg

BTH K10A
03-06-2011, 19:35

Second that, not only funny but IMHO the best B movie ever.

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 20:25
No contest... the clear winner by a country mile is..

Forbidden Planet

Fantastic movie from start to finish. Based loosely around Shakespeare's The Tempest, with a brilliant cast, including the utterly adorable Anne Francis. This movie at the time was the fist to have an all electronic score, and also had used the biggest set yet seen. Of course the FX are a little below today's standards but overall I love this film. I still deliberate between this and The Wicker Man as my overall favourite movie. Also, this is where the hifi company Krell got their name ( the unseen alien race in the movie had designed a machine with limitless power)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

8y4crGU7dkg

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/f/forbidden-planet-1956--630-75.jpg

It is a brilliant film.

I used to build model kits and sci-fi ones are what I last was into (gave up on planes tanks etc) and I have an unbuilt kit of the ship from Forbidden Planet. Its way too big to build, being 1:72 scale. I have a stack of unbuilt kits in a back bedroom all sci-fi...a few worth big money.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 20:26
This Island Earth

When Worlds Collide

Day of The Triffids (original)

three more very good films.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2011, 20:38
Just reminded me Neil... Original War Of The Worlds, i have the 2 DVD set of that & When Worlds Collide :)

There really are quite a lot aren't there :eyebrows:

JohnM
03-06-2011, 20:38
1) Solaris - absolutely beautifully shot film. Looking forward to the Criterion edition Blu-ray of this :cool:

2) La Jetée - the inspiration for 12 Monkeys. One of the most haunting films ever made - stays with you. Entirely constructed of film stills and a monologue. Bowie referenced it in the 'Jump They Say' music video too.

3) Blade Runner - ANY version is fine by me, though have a soft spot for the voice-over version (don't shoot me!) as that's the one I remember first watching late night on Ch.4

4) Moon - stunning and haunting debut by Zowie Bowie!

5) The Man Who Fell to Earth - Bowie as an alien (bit of a Bowie theme going on here isn't there :lolsign:). PERFECT casting! Beautifully shot - I'd put it up against any film ever in terms of its photography. Superb jazzy soundtrack. Lots of titulars and weird freaky milky sex! A damning commentary on mankind of the late 70s.

6) SPECIAL mention for the (original) first two Star Wars films - Actually I don't personally class them as Sci-Fi, but as fantasy. Star Wars/Empire were the first films I ever saw at the cinema - blew my fragile little mind - so they'll always have a massive place in my heart for that.

7) Metropolis - I still have a hard time wondering how the HELL they made something so epic, and modern looking back then. The great-grand-daddy of sci-fi films. There would have been no Blade Runner without it...

8) Close Encounters - not one wasted minute of celluloid. Have watched it MANY many times and never get bored. Superbly shot, directed, acted, scored, effects which STILL look beautiful etc etc. All three versions available unlike some other "sci fi" films from the same era. (LUCAS!!! Shakes fist!).

9) Logan's Run - Jenny Agutter..... sci-fi & breasts. Enough said :eyebrows:

10) The Day the Earth Stood Still - the first sci-fi film that really had a message and wasn't just ray guns and comic book action. Beautifully shot and scored. Classic. Timeless.

I'm positive I've left out/forgotten some classics of that little lot, but that'll do for now!

- John

EDIT: I'll take out Star Wars/Empire, and replace with A Clockwork Orange. What more needs to be said about that classic?! Disturbing thought-provoking film, and one that's unfortunately becoming a reality...

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 20:41
Just reminded me Neil... Original War Of The Worlds, i have the 2 DVD set of that & When Worlds Collide :)

There really are quite a lot aren't there :eyebrows:

War of the worlds :doh: I forgot that one. Did you ever see the spin off TV series from that film made in the 90's? I quite enjoyed it but it got cancelled after two seasons.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2011, 20:46
Yes, don't bother though Neil :doh: The picture quality on the DVDs is the worst i have ever seen, it's bloody horrifiying! Luckily i only bought the 1st season, apparently season two goes off on a tangent...

Never managed to watch the whole series one... Jared Leto starred i think, i have standard VHS video quality recordings looking better, i kid you not :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 21:00
Yes, don't bother though Neil :doh: The picture quality on the DVDs is the worst i have ever seen, it's bloody horrifiying! Luckily i only bought the 1st season, apparently season two goes off on a tangent...

Never managed to watch the whole series one... Jared Leto starred i think, i have standard VHS video quality recordings looking better, i kid you not :eyebrows:

I have them recorded of TV on to VHS, missed a few. I actually preferred the second season to the first. Picture quality was crap on TV too very bad NTSC transfer to PAL.

Yes it was the guy who played Dusty Farlowe on Dallas was the lead character. He actually did quite a bit of Sci-Fi over the years Fantastic Journey being another show he was in.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
03-06-2011, 21:02
I think the TV pic was better than the pic on the DVDs :lol: Now that takes some doing :eek:

Spectral Morn
03-06-2011, 21:13
I think the TV pic was better than the pic on the DVDs :lol: Now that takes some doing :eek:

If you don't want the box set, despite crap picture quality I would probably buy it off you. Region 1 I take it....if you're selling.

Regards D S D L

Jac Hawk
03-06-2011, 23:10
A few that have been missed

Tron

The Core

Quatermass and the pit

Men in Black

The day after tomorrow

Armageddon

Minority report

Now i'm not saying any of the above are my favourite Sci Fi flick ever, it's probably The Forbidden Planet to be honest, but the above are worthy of a mention

Thing Fish
03-06-2011, 23:28
Some are best forgotten.

MartinT
04-06-2011, 09:33
Armageddon

Are you serious? :)

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 10:16
Are you serious? :)

as deadly as an asteroid the size of Texas:ner::lolsign:

Ali Tait
04-06-2011, 10:36
Aye, Deep Impact was a much better film, though it didn't have Liv Tyler in it!

MartinT
04-06-2011, 10:41
Aye, Deep Impact was a much better film, though it didn't have Liv Tyler in it!

But it had Tea Leoni in it, who is just as gorgeous :)

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 11:05
come on guys deep impact wasn't a patch on Armageddon

Alex_UK
04-06-2011, 11:06
Armageddon... ? Deep Impact...? Hmmm... But are they sc-fi or disaster movies? Both, I suppose!

I was going to mention Resident Evil - Milla Jovovich - yum... But that's probably horror. And not sure if it should be in the best or worst list!

Macca
04-06-2011, 11:07
come on guys deep impact wasn't a patch on Armageddon

The both suck but Armageddon sucks more. Very high cheese content in both but Armegeddon pushes it to the limit. Bob Duval has to carry it all the way.

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 11:22
how about Flash Gordon:) great soundtrack;)

Macca
04-06-2011, 11:33
how about Flash Gordon:) great soundtrack;)

Yep - Brilliant film

Logans Run - it may be flawed but I've seen it maybe 10 times whereas I couldn't make it past the first half-hour of Avatar.

I have a cousin who is the double of Ms Agutter - don't get too excited lads, she's happily maried with kids...;)

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 11:45
What was it about Jenny Aguter in her younger days:eyebrows:

Alex_UK
04-06-2011, 12:09
What was it about Jenny Aguter in her younger days:eyebrows:

Quintessential English rose, and a bit posh. I was so in love with her as a pubescent teenager. American Werewolf in London is still one of my favourite films, but we'd better have a more appropriate picture for this thread, and keeping it clean, of course! ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iD-pH3zKHj8/Sp6PGITw29I/AAAAAAAAAD8/w_tUhZTN4q8/s400/Jenny_Agutter_004.jpg

MartinT
04-06-2011, 12:23
A bit SF and a bit horror, and definitely off the wall, I think The Keep was superb and had a great soundtrack. I had it on Laserdisc but have not been able to find it since.

lurcher
04-06-2011, 12:26
whereas I couldn't make it past the first half-hour of Avatar.

That may be part of the problem, the second half is better than the first. But I said it might be contentious when I mentioned it.

Ali Tait
04-06-2011, 12:34
Ah yes, Milla. Very nice indeed in the Fifth Element.

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 14:58
Quintessential English rose, and a bit posh. I was so in love with her as a pubescent teenager. American Werewolf in London is still one of my favourite films, but we'd better have a more appropriate picture for this thread, and keeping it clean, of course! ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iD-pH3zKHj8/Sp6PGITw29I/AAAAAAAAAD8/w_tUhZTN4q8/s400/Jenny_Agutter_004.jpg

yup that'll just about do it :drool::drool::drool::drool: you're right Alex she had that sweet and innocent but at the same time could suck start a leaf blower :eek: quality;)

kininigin
04-06-2011, 16:12
The lost skeleton of cadavra,absolutly a must see imo and funny as fook.

Pe9Fs10IIk0

Spectral Morn
04-06-2011, 16:59
A bit SF and a bit horror, and definitely off the wall, I think The Keep was superb and had a great soundtrack. I had it on Laserdisc but have not been able to find it since.

Love the film but the book is 100 times better. Not available on DVD yet :(

The thing I like about it is that its a creeping horror that is only revealed near the end and that sadly is when it goes down the toilet. Re using the costume from Swamp thing :doh: not clever. However despite that it is very good but not Sci-Fi very much Gothic horror with a touch of HP Lovecraft in the overall vibe.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 17:04
Hmmm, no-one has mentioned Fantastic Voyage yet :) I think everyone is thinking outer space & forgetting inner space :eyebrows: Oh that reminds me, that one is good for a laugh to :cool:

Jac Hawk
04-06-2011, 17:32
Hmmm, no-one has mentioned Fantastic Voyage yet :) I think everyone is thinking outer space & forgetting inner space :eyebrows: Oh that reminds me, that one is good for a laugh to :cool:

Yup a quality flick mate:)

lurcher
04-06-2011, 17:34
For that matter, the village of the dammed (1960's one) should be on most lists, as should Quatermass and the pit.

BTH K10A
04-06-2011, 18:01
Blade runner - a good adaption of Philip K Dick's "Do androids dream of electric sheep"

Enemy Mine - another great B movie

MCRU
04-06-2011, 18:22
Forbidden Planet. First ever mention of Krell!

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 18:25
Outland with Mr Connery :)

Cargo is pretty interesting as well ;)

Gromit
04-06-2011, 18:29
Can't believe I forgot to mention Dune as one of my all-time faves. Not because it was a particularly great film (although I love it) but having read the book more than once, it's fairly easy to fill in the gaps and make it more enjoyable as a result.

The made-for-tv version wasn't too bad, although the characters came over a bit weak imho.

Ali Tait
04-06-2011, 18:33
I thought the Sci-Fi channel miniseries of Dune and Children Of Dune was very good. I have them on DVD.

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 18:41
With you Ali, Children Of Dune is rather good :eyebrows: I thought about getting the blu ray but i found out all three films are on the same disc, which kind of put me off :rolleyes: 3 x DVD = 25.5Gb so even if the BD is dual layer it can only hold 50Gb, single layer 25Gb..

Gromit
04-06-2011, 18:41
I thought the Sci-Fi channel miniseries of Dune and Children Of Dune was very good. I have them on DVD.

Haven't seen Children of Dune AT - is it worth a shot?

I enjoyed the 'TV' Dune (got the 3-disc dvd) but felt a couple of the characters, for me weren't quite right somehow; Gurney Halleck and The Baron Harkonnen to name 2. Kenneth MacMillan's Baron in the original was just so much better - a seriously nasty bloke. :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 18:43
Yep, worth getting imo. You might find it's region 1 encoded but i don't think that'll bother most DVD players nowadays & defo not a PC drive :)

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 18:55
I'm going to stick my neck waaaay out here now & mention one of my favourites i just remembered ;)

It's a Jerry Anderson spin off, Journey To The Far Side Of the Sun :) Otherwise known as Doppelganger.

Gromit
04-06-2011, 19:34
I'm going to stick my neck waaaay out here now & mention one of my favourites i just remembered ;)

It's a Jerry Anderson spin off, Journey To The Far Side Of the Sun :) Otherwise known as Doppelganger.

:)

That's rung a bell here - another Anderson one was 'The Day After Tomorrow - Into Infinity'.

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 19:38
:)

That's rung a bell here - another Anderson one was 'The Day After Tomorrow - Into Infinity'.
Don't go there, i have looked high & low for that film on DVD but it was only broadcast on TV the once :rolleyes: It had the same guy (Alan Carter) from space 1999 as the ships pilot, the ship used a photon drive & they got dragged through a black hole...

I want, I want, I want! :lolsign:

Spectral Morn
04-06-2011, 19:41
Don't go there, i have looked high & low for that film on DVD but it was only broadcast on TV the once :rolleyes: It had the same guy (Alan Carter) from space 1999 as the ships pilot, the ship used a photon drive & they got dragged through a black hole...

I want, I want, I want! :lolsign:

Pilot for a TV show that never happened. I loved it and you are right only shown once. However you can get it on DVD from the Gerry Anderson site Fanderson.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 19:43
Pilot for a TV show that never happened. I loved it and you are right only shown once. However you can get it on DVD from the Gerry Anderson site Fanderson.

Regards D S D L
Really? Wow, thanks Neil. I owe you a pint if we meet up chap :)

DSJR
04-06-2011, 19:43

Just in case you missed it at the time - thanks again for excellent pack and despatch of those DVD's. I've also very much enjoyed watching JTTFSOTS and your post above reminded me :)

The above film neatly segues into UFO, with many of the same actors, re-vamped cars and incredibly OTT late 60's fashions :D

Anyone mentioned 2001 yet? Still an amazingly thoughtful film and hasn't dated much either IMO.

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 19:51
No worries Dave, i had a feeling you'd enjoy it given the Anderson connection. Better to go to someone who'd appreciate it imo :)

Spectral Morn
04-06-2011, 19:59
Really? Wow, thanks Neil. I owe you a pint if we meet up chap :)

No problem Mark.

I meant to get it but never got round to it, when I saw it listed there.

There you go still available http://www.fanderson.org.uk/fansales/dvdsgerryanderson.html

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
04-06-2011, 20:03
Cheers Neil :youtheman: Not sure about the space police thing though :lol:

Ali Tait
04-06-2011, 21:35
Haven't seen Children of Dune AT - is it worth a shot?

I enjoyed the 'TV' Dune (got the 3-disc dvd) but felt a couple of the characters, for me weren't quite right somehow; Gurney Halleck and The Baron Harkonnen to name 2. Kenneth MacMillan's Baron in the original was just so much better - a seriously nasty bloke. :eyebrows:

Yes, I'd say so, I liked it anyway. Shame they didn't do all the books.

lurcher
04-06-2011, 22:03
Yes, if film could have had the TV series closeness to the book plot and kept the films visuals and character acting it would have been better. I did like the film a lots, but some bits of the film screenplay were annoyingly wrong WRT the books, and for no clear reason.

MartinT
04-06-2011, 22:57
Forbidden Planet. First ever mention of Krell!

Yes, and the Krell's inner sanctum is some place! Fantastic conception. I love the 10 x 10 power meters too. They'd be nice on my Chord :lol:

MartinT
04-06-2011, 23:05
Yes, I'd say so, I liked it anyway. Shame they didn't do all the books.

Agreed, I rather liked the Dune miniseries.

Gazjam
05-06-2011, 00:25

Other essentials

Demon Seed
Andromeda Strain
Omega Man
Zordos
Futureworld
Soylent Green

Zardos?
The one with Sean running about in a nappy throughout the movie? :)

Very trippy, but I rememebr being a young impressionable lad enjoying a particular scene in it...ahem.

Great call on Andromeda Strain, one of my favs.
love its cold "scientific" feel....
great book too by Mr Crighton

I'll add to the list:

"A Boy and His Dog"
Based on my favourite SF Authors Harlan Ellison's short story.

jandl100
05-06-2011, 09:14
A few not mentioned so far that I have a fondness for ...

War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruse one, surprisingly well done, I thought)
I Robot (Asimov fans, like me, need to have an understanding attitude ...)
The Abyss
The 6th Day - yeah, I know, an Arnie Movie ... ;)
and of course, Barbarella, with an utterly yummy young Jane Fonda :stalks::eek:

Covenant
05-06-2011, 09:18
Love Harlan Ellison's short stories-"Repent Harlequin said the Ticktock Man" and "I have no mouth and I must scream" are just two that spring to mind. He wrote Star Trek stories and The Man from Uncle.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2011, 09:33
Love Harlan Ellison's short stories-"Repent Harlequin said the Ticktock Man" and "I have no mouth and I must scream" are just two that spring to mind. He wrote Star Trek stories and The Man from Uncle.

Also consultant for Babylon 5 as well.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
05-06-2011, 11:52
Ah yes, Babylon 5. I rather liked that. Have it all on disc.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2011, 18:12
Ah yes, Babylon 5. I rather liked that. Have it all on disc.

One of the finest TV Sci-Fi programs ever imho. Great story , good to excellent acting, only let down a bit by CGI special effects.

One of the few TV programs that when it ended I felt sad at its passing.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
05-06-2011, 18:32
Aye, the budget was limited.

lurcher
05-06-2011, 19:14
I dont know, at the time, I thought the CGI was as good if not better than anything else on TV. I thought the battle at the center of the third (I think) season was stunning. And the fact that the ships followed the laws of physics instead of behaving like fighter AIRcraft set it apart.

Ali Tait
05-06-2011, 19:22
Yes, shame it was cut short because funding was cut. I agree Nick, the CGI was great for the time, but it was used because it was cheaper AFAIK.

degsy
05-06-2011, 20:54
And the original Starship Troopers is a very subtle movie, once you get beneath the violence.

But sadly not a patch on the book:(

degsy
05-06-2011, 21:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post

Second that, not only funny but IMHO the best B movie ever.

Agreed - the discussion with the bomb is v funny :lol:

lurcher
05-06-2011, 21:33
But sadly not a patch on the book:(

Yep (see first or second page). The great shame, is I guess many don't know there ever was a book :-(

Jac Hawk
05-06-2011, 23:02
A few not mentioned so far that I have a fondness for ...

War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruse one, surprisingly well done, I thought)
I Robot (Asimov fans, like me, need to have an understanding attitude ...)
The Abyss
The 6th Day - yeah, I know, an Arnie Movie ... ;)
and of course, Barbarella, with an utterly yummy young Jane Fonda :stalks::eek:

Yup i'll go along with all the above, with the exception of Baberella, that movie was worse than awful, however like you Jerry, i thought War of the Worlds was really good, for me it was the noise the aliens ships made, in the cinema when i 1st saw it, it was deafening and reminded me of the LP version by Jeff Wayne which i liked:)

Gazjam
06-06-2011, 10:58

Hey, another Ellison Fan. :)

Have tons of his stuff Jerry, my favourite author.
He wrote the script (which was butchered by Gene Rodenberry) for the best Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever".
Legendary what he did about it though...wrote a book about it, great read!

Oh, and James Cameron knicked his idea for Terminator from a couple of his Outer Limits episodes in the 60's.

Ellison sued for plagerism..and won.

MartinT
06-06-2011, 12:22
He wrote the script (which was butchered by Gene Rodenberry) for the best Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever".

Butchered or not, that is a great episode.

Ali Tait
06-06-2011, 13:21
Another one I liked- Contact. Good film.

MartinT
06-06-2011, 13:58

And good book :)

Gazjam
06-06-2011, 16:12
Butchered or not, that is a great episode.

You should have read the original Martin..won all sorts of awards. Way better...great scifi, just didnt fit in the Trek universe I guess.

MartinT
06-06-2011, 16:36
I'll look it up, Gaz. Is it a short story or a book in its own right?

Covenant
06-06-2011, 19:20
Hey, another Ellison Fan. :)

Have tons of his stuff Jerry, my favourite author.
Legendary what he did about it though...wrote a book about it, great read!

Oh, and James Cameron knicked his idea for Terminator from a couple of his Outer Limits episodes in the 60's.

Ellison sued for plagerism..and won.

I haven't read any decent SF for ages. Remember this from I have no mouth and I must scream?:
"HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE."

Then the computer turns him into a jelly so he cant kill himself! Brilliant stuff!

Gazjam
06-06-2011, 20:31
I'll look it up, Gaz. Is it a short story or a book in its own right?

The original Trek episode?

It was an unfilmed screenplay Ellison had done.
He published a book detailing all the ins and outs of finally getting recognition from the Writers Guild of America for the original and not Rodenberry's rehash.
The book had the complete original screenplay, which was a cracking read.

Laugh out loud funny too.

Gazjam
06-06-2011, 21:33
I haven't read any decent SF for ages. Remember this from I have no mouth and I must scream?:
"HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE."

Then the computer turns him into a jelly so he cant kill himself! Brilliant stuff!

Well remembered Jerry...
yup, remember that ending well..

the part right at the very end where he looks at himself in a steel panel and see's himself as he has become...
"I have no mouth...and I must scream"
chilling.

anyway,
nice weather for June? :)

DanJennings
07-06-2011, 05:56
If Dr. Strangelove counts as sci-fi, I'd like to add it to the list

John
07-06-2011, 07:29
For TV I quite enjoyed
Farscape :sofa:
The film is not great

Gromit
07-06-2011, 09:10
If Dr. Strangelove counts as sci-fi, I'd like to add it to the list

Probably doesn't count as SF but it's in my list of top 5 films ever.

'Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room'

Ali Tait
07-06-2011, 09:44
For TV I quite enjoyed
Farscape :sofa:
The film is not great

Yep, I liked it too John.

Ali Tait
07-06-2011, 09:45
And good book :)

Was it a book before the film? I must confess I've not read it.

lurcher
07-06-2011, 10:21
If you mean Contact, then yes, written by the great Carl Sagan, which I think explains why the film (IMHO) is so good. Oddly it seems to split opinions, some love it some hate it.

lovejoy
07-06-2011, 12:18
I thought about getting the blu ray but i found out all three films are on the same disc, which kind of put me off :rolleyes: 3 x DVD = 25.5Gb so even if the BD is dual layer it can only hold 50Gb, single layer 25Gb..

I know this is going back a fair few pages, but I just wanted to point out:
DVD = MPEG2 video compression
BD = H.264 video compression

H.264 is WAY more efficient than MPEG2, which is knocking 20 years old now. Even with 3 films on one disc, I'd plump for the BD.

Gazjam
07-06-2011, 12:57
Probably doesn't count as SF but it's in my list of top 5 films ever.

'Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room'

"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company..." :lol:

Ali Tait
07-06-2011, 13:54
If you mean Contact, then yes, written by the great Carl Sagan, which I think explains why the film (IMHO) is so good. Oddly it seems to split opinions, some love it some hate it.

Cheers Nick, I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to look a copy out. I agree about Carl, I got his book Cosmos one year at Christmas when I was a lad. Great book, and made quite an impression on me.

Reid Malenfant
07-06-2011, 18:15
I know this is going back a fair few pages, but I just wanted to point out:
DVD = MPEG2 video compression
BD = H.264 video compression

H.264 is WAY more efficient than MPEG2, which is knocking 20 years old now. Even with 3 films on one disc, I'd plump for the BD.
H.264? :scratch: wassat?

Never heard of it so i'm all ears.. MPEG4 & AVC i have heard of & seen mentioned on just about every BD review, but never H.264 :confused:

aquapiranha
07-06-2011, 18:18

Love that, don't like the bloke who plays here partner in it though he comes over as all pretentious and over sincere if that makes sense. Great movie though, really like it.

Tony Moore
07-06-2011, 20:17
I believe H.264 is another term for MPEG4 (part 10) or AVC (Advanced Video Coding).

Confusing, or what?

Reid Malenfant
07-06-2011, 20:23
Indeed Tony :eyebrows: At least i now have a good idea what AVC stands for, thank you :)

AlexM
16-06-2011, 15:00
Another vote for Dark Star as possibly the best b-movie ever.

Wasn't it John Carpenter's first outing? I seem to remember that it was made for $60k, but despite the Alien pet that was spray-painted inflatable beach ball with claws, it was hugely entertaining and a cult classic. Script was very funny.

I also remember Carpenter's 'The Thing' as being a very enjoyable Sci-Fi/Horror romp..

Blade Runner Director's Edition is also right up there IMHO.

Dune was a surprisingly good interpretation, provided that you had read the book beforehand - you would be completely lost otherwise!.

delfinus
14-10-2011, 17:13
Alien (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/) and Aliens (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/) are two of the most influental movies of all times. Done already in the 70s and 80s and they still keep the standard of today's movies. But with the whole ambience, music, story and sci fi art makes them one of the best movies of all times. Looking forward for Ridley Scott new movie which is currently in the post production and will be released next year... Prometheus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/).

MartinT
14-10-2011, 18:47
Ridley Scott can do no wrong.

Alien and Blade Runner - if he had made nothing else, he would be a legend. But then he made Gladiator among others. Amazing.

synsei
18-10-2011, 23:49
Dark City is a mean and moody sci-fi thriller but for some reason it didn't do that well at the box office. Directed by Alex Proyas and starring Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland and Jennifer Connelly, it is a very classy movie...

YiKbKKq94KI&feature=related

bigmoog
19-10-2011, 07:04
Forbidden Planet

Alien

Planet of thee Apes (original film)

Star Wars (original 1977 version, although its not technically, science fiction imho)

Day the earth stood still (original version)

War of thee Worlds (original version)

top 5 overated :

bladerunner
aliens, alien 3, alien resurrection, and any film with over done CGI:eyebrows:

MartinT
19-10-2011, 07:09
Dark City is a mean and moody sci-fi thriller but for some reason it didn't do that well at the box office. Directed by Alex Proyas and starring Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland and Jennifer Connelly, it is a very classy movie...

Agreed, it's a good looking film. Jennifer Connelly seems to do well in these moody pieces - did you see her in Dark Water or Requiem for a Dream?

Canetoad
19-10-2011, 12:25

I enjoyed this as well. First time I'd seen Rufus Sewell in anything. :)

twelvebears
19-10-2011, 16:57
I'm going to throw in Close Encounters of the Third Kind as one which is still a great watch.

Oh and under-rated choice - Silent Running from 1972

sq225917
19-10-2011, 17:11
Big moog is the first to talk sense.

Forbidden planet
It came from outer space.
When worlds collide
The day the earth stood still
Spaceballs. ;-)

synsei
19-10-2011, 22:07
Agreed, it's a good looking film. Jennifer Connelly seems to do well in these moody pieces - did you see her in Dark Water or Requiem for a Dream?

No I didn't Martin, but I will... :drool:

synsei
19-10-2011, 22:07
Oh and under-rated choice - Silent Running from 1972

+1 :cool:

YNWaN
19-10-2011, 22:58
Dark Star (1974)

Oh sorry, I see it has been suggested.

Dark City is fantastic too.

unclepuncle
20-10-2011, 15:08
I'm sure it's been a popular choice but for me it has to be Alien - Sigourney Weaver in her underwear stroking her pussy is the clincher :drool:

jazzpiano
19-11-2011, 06:31
Maybe it's a new thread, but this topic made me think of "Movies that everyone seems to love but I Hate" : Star Wars. Pure torture for me.
My nomination for good sci-fi is the recent Duncan Jones film "Moon" - little or no CGI, good writing, photography, acting and music. Pleasantly claustrophobic too.

~Barry