PDA

View Full Version : New addition - Benz-Micro Ace SM

AlexM
02-06-2011, 10:50
Hi All,

I have upgraded my Benz Micro Silver MC cartridge to a Benz-Micro Ace SM. Although I am still running it in, my initial impression is that it is an amazingly quiet tracker and surface noise is almost completely supressed, even with quite severely scratched records.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5307/5789906408_3c428a738b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548229@N07/5789906408/)
IMAG0344 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548229@N07/5789906408/) by alexmastersuk (http://www.flickr.com/people/14548229@N07/), on Flickr

I find the degree of difference in this regard quite astonishing, and am not sure why this should be. Is it due to the line contact stylus used in this stylus?.

I'll post some sonic impressions once I've completed running it in and fine-tuned the setup, but it does seem to be resolving a lot more low-level detail and bass is powerful and tonally accurate. The sound overall is smooth, with a sweet treble.

Very happy with it so far.

Regards,
Alex

Tarzan
02-06-2011, 10:56
Cool, enjoy it Alex:cool:

howlindawg
02-06-2011, 12:53
I run the SL version.
Would agree totally with respect to the surface noise, it's eerily quiet.

Give it plenty of time to run in, the bass really fills out when you get some hours on it.

Above all... ENJOY!

MartinT
02-06-2011, 13:20
It seems to be a trait of high end cartridges, whether due to improved tracking or greater dynamic range or a bit of both. I can't tell whether you are using a phono amp or step-up transformer but I also found lower surface noise with a transformer.

RobbieGong
02-06-2011, 23:00
Sounds good but any chance I get I'll shout "Ortofon 2M Black -Awesome !!!" Sorry! This is what the Black does to me :lolsign:

Marco
02-06-2011, 23:13
Hi Alex,

Nice one. I'm pleased you've got a good result with your latest upgrade. You do realise though that the catalyst that has enabled your current happy position, was the purchase of the Oyaide headshell! ;)

Marco.

MartinT
03-06-2011, 06:13
Interesting. I'm in two minds about the Oyaide. I have two heavyweight (but slightly different) Dynavector headshells and a Sumiko. To my ears, the Sumiko sounds inferior and slightly 'shouty'. I wonder what the Oyaide could do, if anything, against the Dynavectors? It's an expensive punt :scratch:

AlexM
03-06-2011, 11:14
Hi,

Marco - yes, I'm sure that the Oyaide headshell is helping with the overall sound. I was a bit worried about using a medium compliance cartridge with the Jelco as it suggests that the effective mass is a bit on the high side, but all seems to be well despite the resonant frequency being down around 8hz.

Unfortunately it has also been a catalyst for me spending quite a bit of money, which has been noticed by the financial controller, who has issued a cease and desist notice!. I have that sinking feeling that I am on the slippery upgradeitis slope.. bearings, PSUs, mats becon.

An unexpected benefit is that the lower output of this cartridge is that my EMU 0404 USB preamp gain is set a lot higher, and this has really helped the SQ of my 24/96 vinyl rips. Much better punch and clarity.

The more I listen to this the better it gets - it does seem to be very synergistic in my setup. It tracks very, very well and end of side distortion seems to be considerably reduced. Although it is pretty spendy I think that this is excellent VFM for a swiss-made, hand-built device that shares much of the technology from the glider (generator assembly, stylus).

Martin - In my setup the Oyaide headshell has improved clarity by reducing midband coloration and treble hardness. The sound is smoother and more refined, without compromising dynamics. It also weighs a gram less then the Jelco headshell, which benefits me, but may or may not be useful with your Dynavector.

Regards,
Alex

Marco
03-06-2011, 11:14
I wonder what the Oyaide could do, if anything, against the Dynavectors? It's an expensive punt...

Not necessarily, Martin. I'm sure if you asked David nicely he'd send you one to try, and of course there's always his money-back guarantee.

It's difficult to predict what effect the Oyaide would have on your Dynavector, as on such a 'well-sorted' and expensive tonearm, one would've expected the mechanical effect of the headshell to have been factored into the equation by the designer, and so in theory, the supplied one should be best, allowing the arm to behave as intended.

However, the designer has no way of knowing what cartridge the end-user is going to fit, and so given that all cartridges need different requirements to perform optimally, there may be some mileage in fitting the Oyaide. One definite improvement you will obtain is from the Oyaide's supplied superb quality silver headshell leads (about the best I've heard), which I suspect are better than those you're currently using, if they are the soft, waxy, ones supplied with the Sumiko headshell.

In a wide-open, high-resolution system like yours, you'll definitely hear the difference, so you could always try the silver headshell leads first (David sells those separately, here: (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/tone-arms-headshells/81-oyaide-copper-headshell-wires.html), and then move to the full Oyaide headshell later, minus the cost of the leads.

Anyway, just a few thoughts which may help :)

Marco.

Hypnotoad
14-06-2011, 01:01
My Benz Micro Ace was the first "decent" cart I bought, I just love this thing, so much so I haven't wanted anything more expensive.

Very quiet, smooth as silk with stunning detail and resolution, enjoy!