PDA

View Full Version : Mika K's system

Pages : [1] 2

Mika K
02-06-2011, 08:33
Prhaps it is time to put up my own gallery/blog/whatever. My name is Mika K and I'm located at northern Finland, the city of Oulu to be more exact. I have engineering background and during more than 20 years of this hobby have had different system from single driver systems to Naim and bigger and more powerful highend systems.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5769327342_31380e0dc5_z.jpg

I would like to think that I have learned something from every system and from my own preferences. My current system is build from my love of music and my interest to vintage and traditional equipment. I like items that can handle the time and overall the systems purpose is not to measure well as the focus is more on the fact how the system serves the music I like to listen - jazz, progressive rock and different folk/indie/alternative/pop stuff mostly with a classical twist.

The system is as follows:

Garrard 401 at Slatedeck plinth with the Loricraft mat
- Loricraft 401 PSU
- SME V
- Zu DL-103 Grade2(0,4%) and T'fix Phoenix II cartridges
- Impress Laboratory model 999 MC SUT
- Loricraft Missing Link phono preamp
Sansui TU-9500 receiver
Philips CD-850 mkII cd player
Apple Macbook Pro/AE/Russ Andrews DAC1
Shindo Aurieges L preamp
Shindo Montille EL84 poweramp
Altec 806A-16 driver with H-811 torvella plus Altec 416-16z woofer at 360l Onken enclosure designed by Jean Hiraga
Auditorium 23 and Isoda cables

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2238/5789085379_ae439a14b0_b.jpg

At the moment I'm tweaking the speakers to get the best out of them, trying different damping materials for the cast horn and also for the Onken enclosure. Perhaps also study some xo improvements later even if a bit surprised of the performance of the original xo unit from the year 1964.

Perhaps I chime in more later and add some more pics of the system as the Shindo amps and my record player look quite good also. Or atleast I think so ;)

Br,

Mika K

Tarzan
02-06-2011, 09:09
Very nice Mika, keep the piccys coming!:)

Slippershod
02-06-2011, 19:48
like the photos in monochrome, Mika.

bigmarty
02-06-2011, 22:39
Hi Mika,

Blooming lovely system, and photographs,

Marty :eek:

lowpoke
14-06-2011, 01:50
Hi Mika,

That looks like a wonderful system!
I've yet to fire up my Altec 806-8A's on 511Bs after installing new diaphragms from GPA. I'd be interested to know what you settle on as far as damping the horns go.

John
14-06-2011, 05:14
Lovelly system that must sound pretty special

macvisual
14-06-2011, 07:56
Hi Mika,

That's a lovely system you own there, lovely. You seem well sorted in terms of excellent components.

Like the shallow depth of field in the first photo, nicely done, b/w is beautiful. Please keep us up-dated.

Would love to see photo's of the Garrard tt & amp etc....

Best regards;
Peter

Toby
14-06-2011, 08:14
Me too, a very arty shot there.

tannoy man
14-06-2011, 08:23
Shindo mmmmm

Mika K
14-06-2011, 18:02
Thank you for the compliments! The system really sounds like one no other I have encountered. It is not perfect by any means but has that special realistic density in the sound that you do not encounter so often with modern gear. Still need to find some freetime to open the enclosures once to "finalize" the damping.

Here are few old pics of my Garrard, I guess have to take newer ones during the next few days including the Garrards equipment base/suspension and the tuner and the amplification also. . ;)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4959034697_b995702c1d_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5218/5448459516_0a412a3449_z.jpg

Reid Malenfant
14-06-2011, 18:14
Hi Mika, lovely system you have there fella :) I definately like the speakers, i just know that even a few Watts would make a heck of a lot of sound :eek:

By the way, you might end up getting comments such as i did in my gallery thread asking if the layer of dust on the equipment adds some much needed damping :rolleyes: :doh:

:lolsign:

Love the look of that cartridge by the way! Looks of very high quality construction :)

ursus262
15-06-2011, 16:50
Ooooh! Lush!

MartinT
15-06-2011, 16:58
Very nice system and some great shots there, Mika. I particularly like the fish-eye style shot of your Zu cartridge.

Don't mind Mark, he hasn't forgotten the dust slur :)
Come to think of it, I have the same problem in some of my shots. Now, where's that duster...?

Mika K
21-06-2011, 07:30
Spent last weekend few hours adjusting the analog rigs performance. Started by checking the decks balance and the cartridges aligment, VTA and VTF and then made some fine tuning. Tested also the system without the SUT using directly the Loricraft phonostage but still did not get the setup to work as well as wanted. It's good but is it good enough?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3357/5845165930_3612063bf0_z.jpg

The answer is no. The Zu is not bad by any means and does some thing surprisingly well as the original Denon also but it just can't compete with more higher end carts in resolution and this is very noticeable in my system at the moment. As have been planning of buying new cartridge for ages made the decision yesterday and decided to buy another Tranfiguration Phoenix to replace the older one that worn out during the last summer after 1800-2000 hours of usage. Ordered the cartridge from my trusted supplier and hopefully it will arrive soon and I can transfer the the Zu DL-103 to reserve or wait some other analog rig.

Last week also added some dampening to the cast Altec horns. Used Vibroplast dampening material received from a friend and started quite carefully - I think it made some difference and smoothed out the sound a little bit but have to still continue the experiments. Should also to try to find some time to open the Onkens and add some dampening material and then put the things back together airtight. Would think that it would also have some positive effect to the overall sound.. :)

Marco
21-06-2011, 08:10
Hi Mika,

Superb pic (you may wish to post it in the turntable competition thread elsewhere in Analogue Art :)), and thanks for an interesting update.

The Zu is not bad by any means and does some thing surprisingly well as the original Denon also but it just can't compete with more higher end carts in resolution and this is very noticeable in my system at the moment.

Do bear in mind that as good as the Zu is (and IMO, it and the 'SA' are the best 103s produced by a country mile), you're still using a cartridge with a spherical tip, which will never have the ultimate detail retrieval and high-frequency resolution (if that's your thing) of the fine-line styli fitted to almost all hi-end MC cartridges.

All you're doing with the Zu is very effectively curing a fundamental flaw with the standard DL-103: the detrimental sonic effect of its resonant plastic body-shell. In order to attempt to address the issues you've raised above, you'd need to have the Zu re-tipped with a 'posh' stylus.

I know of people who have done this (or have fitted a wooden body-shell and a 'posh' stylus) to the 103, and have achieved truly awesome results, resulting in some very expensive MC cartridges being outperformed. Therefore, you may wish to try that before abandoning the notion that a fully 'tweaked' DL-103, can't compete with the best ;)

Marco.

P.S Also, are you using your Zu in an SME V? If so, I'm afraid, in my experience, that's not the best match for it....

Mika K
21-06-2011, 08:26
Thank you for the comments Marco! Have to check the photo sections here elsewhere as have not yet done that.

One of my friends here in Finland tweaked his DL-103 with some other style of wooden body and also had new boron shaft and Micro Ridge stylus installed by Benz. Says it is noticeable better but have not heard the result myself. So have some information of the subject already. Perhaps the question is that is the fully 'tweaked' DL-103 DL-103 at all :)

It has crossed my mind that perhaps someday that Zu aluminium body would make a good starting point for similar project and be a very nice cart in some heavier 12" arm s SME V really is not the best companion for it. Perhaps someday..

Marco
21-06-2011, 09:02
Hi Mika,

Here is the link to the T/T photo competition: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10792

I suggest that you enter the one above, and also any others you may wish to take ;)

One of my friends here in Finland tweaked his DL-103 with some other style of wooden body and also had new boron shaft and Micro Ridge stylus installed by Benz. Says it is noticeable better but have not heard the result myself.

Sounds like a good idea for a 'bake-off'! Try and have a listen to that, fitted to your turntable and through your own system, and report back :)

Perhaps the question is that is the fully 'tweaked' DL-103 DL-103 at all

In some ways, yes, but in my opinion the 'heart' of the sound of the 103 derives from its generator, and in particular, the alnico magnets. It is those items which are largely responsible for the 103's 'big & bouncy', rhythmically infectious and musically addictive sound.

The conical stylus, of course, adds its own sonic signature, but I would expect a Zu-modified 103, fitted with a fine-line or elliptical stylus, to retain the essence of what makes the 103 special, and simply add a touch more refinement and poise (and of course high-frequency resolution) to the mix.

The end result could indeed be rather beguiling!

It has crossed my mind that perhaps someday that Zu aluminium body would make a good starting point for similar project and be a very nice cart in some heavier 12" arm s SME V really is not the best companion for it. Perhaps someday..

It's not so much the need for more mass, as the Zu body-shell adds all the extra mass which the 103 needs in order to perform optimally - it's more about achieving sonic synergy between the arm and cartridge. And in my experience, whilst being far from disastrous, the SME V is not the best match, sonically, for any DL-103.

As far as modern tonearms are concerned, an SME Series M2-9, or even better, M2-12R, would be superb in conjunction with a Zu-modified DL-103, and a far happier 'marriage'. It's perhaps one for you to try in future! :cool:

Marco.

Barry
21-06-2011, 15:16
Loverly system you have there Mika.

You have certainly raised the bar when it come to the photographic images. We all have a very hard act to follow now!

Very well done.

Regards

Mika K
23-06-2011, 19:15
Time for one photo of my Shindo Aurieges L preamp. At the time I was saving my pennies to get me Shindo Aurieges MM, similar preamp with the MM phono input to be used with my SUT but got a good deal of the second hand L-model so ended up here.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5864290314_0c2bfa4bc6_z.jpg

This is a wonderful little preamp and at the moment I think that if I am ever updating it will go for the MM model or then a little bigger Shindo as they also have phono inputs, some even for MC's. One of my local dealers is trying to arrange me a home demo of the EAR 912 as it has incredible (so I'm told) phonostage inside. Or actually three of then but we'll see if I ever go for that route..

By the way my new T'fig Phoenix arrived today and also eleven jazz LPs from one local trade person importing Speakers Corner Records to Finland. I guess what I'm going to do during the midsummer weekend :cool:

EDIT: Oh yes, and here's the one pic of my Garrard I posted to Analogue section yesterday(?). And now without the dust.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/5856670523_5440323f4a_z.jpg

Mika K
25-06-2011, 18:59
Today morning the T'fig Phoenix replaced the Zu DL-103 at my system and if the looks of the cartridge changed, so did also the sound. Have to give some hours to the newcomer before writing anything more detailed opinions but the initial impression corresponds my memories of the previous one I owned and used for few years..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5869497735_294a50dc87_z.jpg

Mika K
21-07-2011, 10:39
Sometime ago wrote short follow up of my Altec project to Inner World Audio Magazine and now this has been published to the Inner Audio webzine. The article has few pics and also link to the first article. Please check this out at http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/287/68/My-Altec-Valencias---Part-II/. The webzine is mostly written in english and has some interesting articles from time to time.

Still have not had time to finish the Onken enclosures. It is kind of nice that they work remarkably well already like this but on the other hand it might lead to the situation where finishing just keeps on pending.. ;)

Mika K
26-08-2011, 21:27
1 + 1 = 4?

Today my new Shindo preamp arrived, so at the moment have total four Shindo units at the main desk between the speakers.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6083215959_ec5c094c17_z.jpg

Because of the improved vinyl playback options I'm replacing the Aurieges L model with bit older Aurieges model that has built-in MM phonopreamp and also bit more robust external power supply in similar green and beautiful housing.

These two different Aurieges models sound very much alike but still there are subtle differencies here and there, coming mostly of the different topology and external bigger power supply. I have also heard many good things about Shindo phonopreamps and based on quick two hour session must say that there might be something there.

Anyway back to listening some music then, eh.. ;)

wiicrackpot
27-08-2011, 05:46
Oh my word!!!! Mika your system is so achingly beautiful it's beyond words, always been a great fan of the little EL84 tube ever since i started with an WAD KEL84 amp, and that 401 with V and Zu now Transfig.....congrats.

Marco
27-08-2011, 08:56
Hi mate,

Could you please add your first name and where you live to your profile? Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

wiicrackpot
27-08-2011, 10:56
Mika, the more i ogle your amps the more i drool, the bamboo canes really sets off the picture lovely.

Sorted Marco, though i've only recently posted, been a sleeper here for 2yrs, joined my 1st forum (crossvernetwork) after having some work done by Audioorigami, anyway been lurking here more after jumping onto the Tannoy Gold bandwagon(Chatsworth's) and enjoyed reading your exploits with your Tannoy journey .

Marco
27-08-2011, 12:13
Cheers, ma man - much appreciated! I know you've been on TXN. Glad you're enjoying the Tannoy discussions here - wire in and have fun! :cool:

Marco.

macvisual
27-08-2011, 14:08
Mouth watering hi~fi..!

Mika K
28-08-2011, 15:47
Thanks!

At the moment I'm in the middle of the process of listening three different ways how to route to signal from my vinyl playback system:
1) Loricraft phonopreamps MC-part
2) Impress Laboratory SUT to Loricraft phonopreamps MM-part
3) Impress Laboratory SUT to Shindos MM-input

It is already clear that there are differencies between these three ways. Some might say that they are subtle but imho these small differencies are the meaningful ones giving the sound it's inner meaning or putting all together. Don't know the proper english word for what I mean here, sorry.. :scratch:

Anyway, results will follow here sooner or later when I've listened enough with variety of music and also somehow understood the whole thing myself ;)

Mika K
02-10-2011, 06:55
Finally made up my mind after listening the system for few weeks and decided that option 3) described at previous message is overall the best in my system. Now Loricraft Missing Link has ben sent to its new owner in southern Finland and I hear that it mates extremely well with the vintage oriented Garrard-Lenco-Quad-ESL system used there.

This means that at the moment I have only the Impress Laboratory SUT to Shindos MM-input combo in use for the vinyl. This is a nice sounding system even if have been thinking that someday have also other set with bit more aggressive sound. Narutally this will then lead to other LP spinner or to the plinth that has place for two different arms ;)

Anyway, last week also visited one friend at Raahe, a small town near the city I live. There is most likely the only stacked 3-pair Quad ESL system in Europe. Or at least that is the information he has received from respective Quad service professionals and owners in Europe. I have heard the system several times during the years and now I was asked to write an article of the owner and the system to finnish hifi-journal with the pics. The whole article should come out in next issue ;)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6202964540_944a8189bc_z.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 07:55
Eeeek! Now that would be something to hear.

Thing Fish
02-10-2011, 08:00
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6202964540_944a8189bc_z.jpg

You didn't used to be Chris Evans did you...;)

Ali Tait
02-10-2011, 12:05
Eeeek! Now that would be something to hear.

Yes indeed, I bet they are quite something.

Mika K
02-10-2011, 19:19
They are indeed.

But perhaps should have mention that the guy leaning to the stacked ESLs is the proud owner and not me. Just to make it clear :D

MartinT
02-10-2011, 20:26
ARA (of SME) only used to have double-stacked Quads, those must really be something.

Rare Bird
02-10-2011, 21:38
Triple 57's! :wow: .. i've head pairs they are good as it is..

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 23:20
I'd be interested to understand the geometry of mounting three of those in a (presumably) bespoke stand. The angles you choose for tilting them back must be fairly critical for the best sound, I'd have thought.
A stacked pair has the bottom one angled to point very slightly downwards & the top one a little up & this works well in rooms with average to large ceiling height. But how would you arrange three? The sheer height of the construction must surely have the top one firing almost exclusively at the ceiling unless you have a cavernous room?

Reid Malenfant
03-10-2011, 17:13
But how would you arrange three?
Assuming they were all driven together with no delay applied to the centre 57 i think the top one & bottom should be angled so that the tweeter panels are the same distance from the listener, a little like this:-

./
|----------listener
.\

Otherwise there would be a lot of cancellation due to comb filtering imo ;)

Reid Malenfant
03-10-2011, 17:58
Actually, if you look carefully at the picture i think you'll just about to be able to make out that this may well be the case ;) The frame definately looks (though it is difficult to make out) as though it is bowed towards the listener at the top & bottom & the panels look flush to the sides :scratch:

Mika K
04-10-2011, 09:23
Mark understood perfectly the shape of the stacked ESLs. They really are angled so that the hot spot is approximately 4.5-5m from the speakers. This works extremely well as the directivity is really tight and really nails the performance to its place.

I have some pics of the ESL shape taken from the side and will try to post this here later..

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2011, 19:11
So how was the distance of 4.5 - 5 metres settled on? Was it purely to suit the specific room?

Mika K
04-10-2011, 19:51
In my knowledge by trial and error ;) so yes the settled distance suites the room in use and gives the best end result as far as I have understood..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/6212187010_82c233d166_z.jpg

Btw, imho these are beautiful example of the form follows the function principle.

Reid Malenfant
04-10-2011, 20:14
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/6212187010_82c233d166_z.jpg

Btw, imho these are beautiful example of the form follows the function principle.
Beautiful indeed & just what i was expecting to see :) Still nice to be faced with what one predicted though at the end of the day ;)

I like the idea of stabilising the whole lot by anchoring to the ceiling to, saves large lumps of concrete etc or steel or lead slabs :eyebrows:

:wow:

Mika K
11-10-2011, 21:10
Today visited the post office nearby and came home with the deluxe box set for the latest album Heritage by Opeth. Nice package with two HQ vinyls, one 7" single, booklet, cd and also dvd that must watch at some point I guess. Also our son U was enjoying pretty much of the holographic 3D cover at one of the inner sleeves..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6235019917_5c5babb87f_z.jpg

Have already listened the album from Spotify for weeks and like it a lot as the band is at interesting situation - you can definitely hear some bows to the classic progressive pieces and also at the same time hear something's evolving. Still I hope to get some quality time with my system to really hear what's in there at the album. Atleast I hope that the album is done in such manner as one might expect ;)

Tim
11-10-2011, 21:13
I don't have any Opeth Mika, but after John's recommendation for this I have given it a few listens and it's an excellent album and on my shopping list - enjoy ;)

Great picture too.

Mika K
11-10-2011, 21:15
Hmm, I have all their albums in vinyl and some in cd too. Have also seen them live few times and have bought one t-shirt, so guess might be a fan of some sort :doh:

Tim
11-10-2011, 21:21
I did see them last year and was impressed, but keep forgetting to buy them - this has spurred me on :)

MartinT
11-10-2011, 22:26
I really like Damnation by Opeth.

Mika K
12-10-2011, 04:48
Then you will also like this new one I would say ;)

MartinT
12-10-2011, 06:13
Thanks Mika, I'm listening to it now on Spotify and it sounds promising.

macvisual
12-10-2011, 08:16
Great photo, keep it in an album for future reference. I love black & white photography!

Mika K
15-10-2011, 20:21
^You can be sure I will ;)

I actually have plenty of shots of the house and the kids etc where my interest to hifi and music plays a role of some sort. Some are already bit older so there are some interesting gear there. I guess I could make a separate gallery of these. Here's our daughter S few weeks ago doing ..eh.. something..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6119/6247570462_8fe87f413a_z.jpg

Mika K
16-10-2011, 20:08
Crossover..

Have been lately thinking of building/ordering new crossovers for my Altec Onkens. The current ones are the originals from the 60's and as noticed few minor distortions when playing louder levels this might be the ticket (or then the driver diaghrams but that's another story). One of my friend updated his Yamaha NS-1000M crossovers with new components, especially the caps, and the change was not subtle.

However as would like to keep the autoformers the diy-thing is not going to be simple as the original ones in the metal box are filled with something simple recap is not an option. There are some sources for ready made diy-kits but have to check those still further..

..and some horn speculations

Have also been planning whether in near future start diy wooden horn project but as seem to be really busy might buy some suitable horn to match the existing driver as Jabo KH-55 to try out. Would need some reference to the current H-811B which are made from cast aluminium and damped with some vibroplast sheets.

If anyone has experience of Jabo horns or some other relatively cheap alternatives please shout out loud :)

Mika K
15-11-2011, 19:29
New xo's

One month since last post here and today received 12kg package to my office desk and was a bit surprised of the size and weight of it. I was expecting fairly smaller package to arrive but this was the correct one - new made in Germany handbuilt crossovers from quality parts.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/6347040235_bbe85c6aa9_z.jpg

As you can see compared to single AA battery these are indeed quite sturdy and big sized crossovers to replace my original ones from the 60's. The components seem to be good quality as the build itself, also the autoformer feels very solid instead of some cheap ass small unit. Have also some new internal cables by Ocellia waiting for me to have good slot to open Altecs for little service. When oh when will I have the time for this.. ;)

Reid Malenfant
15-11-2011, 19:41
Hi Mika, that's an expensive transformer, I can tell just by looking at the shape of the core. Looks like a 'C' type core but I could be wrong... Whatever it's no way a normal beasty :eyebrows:

Hope all goes well for you when you get it plumbed in chap :)

Mika K
15-11-2011, 20:24
Thanks, I hope so too.

MartinT
16-11-2011, 06:51
Looks like a 'C' type core but I could be wrong...

More like an 'E' core perhaps? Nice looking trafo, anyway.

Mika K
28-11-2011, 20:25
Busy times as have had lot of thing going on at the office and also tried to keep my other interests alive - done some biking with my fixed cx-bike, opened the skiing season past week and also took part to the finnish kendo invidual championships last Saturday. And have to also keep family happy as well in the middle of all this or other way around. Phew!

New XO's

During the past week have been listening variety of different music from old school jazz to progressive metal and at the same time playing with the adjustments of the new crossovers.

Due to the limitations of my Altec cast aluminum horns have been using only 800hz xo frequency (well tried shortly the 500hz option but did not work at all) so eagerly waiting also one possible choice for a horn to check the 500hz also. Anyways the new xo's work pretty well and the system sounds now clearer and much more transparent and can also hear substantial improvement in both micro- and macrodynamics when listening albums I know by heart. Also few experienced friends have visited to have a quick listen and comments have been all positive. I guess next have start again doing some tune-dem for the speaker placement as other things start to be in their place.

Sorry for all enthusiasts but no pics at this time as my camera usb-cable is somewhere not at hand ;) Will try to get some pics next time. Perhaps also could clean up the Ocellia solid core copper cable dressing using now to connect the xo's to the Altec system..

Mika K
30-11-2011, 19:50
Below you can see the new XO connected to the speaker with the Ocellia solid core copper cable. Unfortunately the Auditorium 23 speaker cable coming from Shindo power amp has those weird slotted banana plugs that do not give very solid contact to the grid of the XO. Perhaps in future have to consider even cutting the banana plugs off to have solid contact also for that part..

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6119/6432314531_89cd79f87f_z.jpg

Today after came home from work also installed small led lamp next to my Garrard 401 vinyl player. It's about time as during the evenings have been thinking this already quite some time as just don't want to keep full lights on at the living room while spinning records and putting those on/off all the time feels a bit stupid.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6432315485_07c32fee79_z.jpg

Now it's done. Despite of the cold tone of the light it does the trick and now it is a lot easier to operate the deck. Why did'nt I do this a long time ago when autumn started and the nights got darker and darker..

Reid Malenfant
30-11-2011, 20:01
More like an 'E' core perhaps? Nice looking trafo, anyway.
No, definately a C core Martin ;) But actually a double C core :doh:

http://audio.engineeringvista.com/TrafomaticTransformers/models.htm#C_CORE

So how is it sounding with the new crossover Mika? Certainly looks high quality :)

Mika K
30-11-2011, 20:22
Put some comments above earlier:

..the new xo's work pretty well and the system sounds now clearer and much more transparent and can also hear substantial improvement in both micro- and macrodynamics when listening albums I know by heart.

I think that the build quality can be heard. Also album after album I think things are getting better and better - so either some breaking in is happening in component level or then I'm just getting used to the sound these have brought to the system. Or both ;) Perhaps I will post some detailed comments of the differences later when system starts to settle down.

Reid Malenfant
30-11-2011, 20:35
Excellent, my apologies for missing that & you having to repeat it ;)

I should imagine the capacitors may well be running in but I doubt the inductors/transformers will. But then I have been wrong before :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
30-11-2011, 22:57
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6432315485_07c32fee79_z.jpg

Nice looking tuner there....Sansui?

Regards D S D L

Mika K
01-12-2011, 05:29
Sansui tuner indeed, mint condition model TU-9500 from 1973 to be more exact.

Mika K
17-03-2012, 08:50
Loong long time time and no update, so..

..perhaps time to open things up a little ;)

Work aside during the past months have mostly been just listening music, written few album reviews and done few visit to listen other enthusiasts systems. Also had a change to visit the factory of Genelec studio monitors coming from Finland http://www.genelec.com/. Oh boy, they had few really nice listening rooms there as well some fairly competent information available considering speaker enclosure diffractions and room acoustics among other things.

For what comes to my own system there is no changes but I've decided to try new horns instead of current Altec H-811B cast aluminium ones and have already white Jabo KH-55 tractrix horns waiting for suitable adapters. Hopefully will get these in place during the next few weeks and post my initial results.

Reffc
18-03-2012, 17:03
Lovely system Mika and Shindo amps! I was hunting for some Shindo 300B's to power the Agi's a while back but gave up when I saw the price! Nice 401 too...

Mika K
19-03-2012, 07:53
Thanks!

The Shindo amps (and especially the Aurieges MM preamp) really are something special even if they're considered to be only the entry-level units. However the maker himself says that there is that kind of hierarchy between the units as each design is complementing the tubes used and thus always their own beast in some sense. Shindo amps also seem to have some synergy with the Altecs and Auditorium 23 cables I'm using, so all smile here.. :D

Also if you ever find yourself travelling in the northern Finland, you'd be most welcome to have a listen.

Mika K
20-03-2012, 21:15
Today finished the hard part, so the new horns are now in place. Tomorrow evening starts the easier part i.e. fine tuning the crossovers and the aligment plus listening the result.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7000962589_db6576bc35_z.jpg

Then sometime later have to think setting up the supertweeters and also crafting better support for the horns as the old ones are not so well suitable for the round shape.. ;)

jostber
20-03-2012, 21:41
Wow, some nice looking horns. That should sound mighty fine when ready. :thumbsup:

Mika K
25-03-2012, 14:36
Jabo KH-55

Have now listened these horns for few days and the xo adjustments start to be somewhere at the correct area with 500Hz xo frequency as well as the alignment for the horns. Yesterday crafted quickly supports from the Biltema corks had around at the warehouse but still need to come up with a sturdier design that has also some built-in adjustability. Below you can see the adapters and the Biltema supports doing their job.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7102/6863156130_6bdf114a92_z.jpg

After started to adapt to the new sound connect also John Blue ST-100 supertweeters and with trial-and-error method ended up to use 14kHz xo point with the few dbs lower sensitivity than the main drivers. Even if separately the supertweeters do not add much, they seem to have serious additional value for the system soundstage and also resolution. Have to still try out few different locations for the supertweeters etc but sounds promising already.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7054/6863128576_81c2d46c75_z.jpg

Now the speakers bandwidth starts somewhere from 35Hz level all the way to the 30-40kHz region and despite of their not so compact size (140cm tall, 85cm wide and more than 70cm deep with weight approx. 130kg each) they seem to blend pretty nicely to our living room. Even Mrs. commented the old Altec H-811B horns "Oh boy they look small and funny" when I was taking them to the storage. So I guess these are then approved ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6863156558_52443cdd56_c.jpg

Now trying to calm down and only listen lot of music with some fine tuning. Atleast until summer that is as have decided that next thing is to build some cross-section support inside the Onken cabinets and also add some dampening material to critical places.. :D

Mika K
08-04-2012, 18:26
Furutech DF-2

There's nothing so irritating than just receiving recently bought LP and noticing that is warped pretty badly. Because owen-method is not so well received and the commercial machines for this are really expensive, the registered national finnish association of hifi enthuasts (Hifiharrastajat ry) bought Furutech DF-2 LP disc flattener that travels from member to member around the country.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5447/7057400037_0c0e4e79c8_z.jpg

The usage of the machine is easy, almost idiot proof I could say and so far have flatted few of my LPs and again one is under work as I write this. The only downside seems to be the time the operation takes as usually you need to adjust the machine to warm the LP at mild 65 deg of Celcius temperature from two to three hours depending of the problem and thickness of LP and after that it takes still two more hours for cooling down. Luckily the machine does this all automatically.

The Furutech is solid and really expensive machine for very limited use but still it seems to do what is promises. Still have few LPs to go and then the machine will continue to another local enthusiast in its custom crafted wooden case. Quite a nice benefit of belonging to the association.. :D

Reid Malenfant
08-04-2012, 18:30
Looks like the disc gets sandwiched between a couple of anodized alloy plates :scratch:

Mika K
08-04-2012, 18:38
In principle yes it's that simple ;)

However the surfaces that face LP are made of some different material with the precision heaters in place and the LP is centered there when placed to the area. Added with the auto-function this machine seems pretty handy compared to the diy-solution with the owen. Have tried that few times but the results are not so ..hmm.. consistent..

Reid Malenfant
08-04-2012, 18:41
Yeah I figured it'd need some kind of cutout for the record label on each face :)

Do both plates heat up or only the bottom one? Sorry, I'm nosey :)

Mika K
08-04-2012, 18:44
Haven't actually checked that one. Could most prolly find that information from some review etc place in www but I guess it's only the bottom one. I check that from the unit itself after the thingie says "Beeb!" after few hours and let you know..

Reid Malenfant
08-04-2012, 18:46
Cheers :) I'd appreciate it!

Mika K
08-04-2012, 20:35
Luckily did not participate to the lottery this weekend ;)

So the machine has the heater plates for both lower and upper sides. By a closer look it seems that the upper one is not rock solid so the plate is a bit flexible and can adjust a bit depending of the LPs thickness etc.

Reid Malenfant
08-04-2012, 20:41
Cheers for getting back on the record straightener Mika :)

So it looks like a couple of 6mm or greater alloy plates with distributed wirewound resistors or transistors & some kind of temperature control to keep things at 65C & a timer & we are in business :D

Not that I'm likely to build one as I don't have enough vinyl & what I have is all good :cool:

Got me thinking though :eyebrows:

MartinT
10-04-2012, 07:01
I have a couple of LPs that I'd love to be able to flatten. Not worth investing in the Furutech for myself, though.

Mika K
21-04-2012, 05:52
Ok, now the Furutech machine is forwarded to next destination and during the time had the machine totally flattened 11 LPs. I know my collection has some more warped ones but did not have time to hunt these down as it would have taken too much effort. And there's always the next time.

Last week visited northern Norway Lyngen-Kvaloya-Tamokdalen area to do some spring touring and skiing. The weather was pretty nice and we managed to ski some couloirs and visit some mountain tops have been eying already years.

Scenery at Kvaloya bay area
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6948127026_8def9e1100_c.jpg

Mr.H working his way up the mountain face
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/6948164260_ce3c09c47a_c.jpg

Mr.T checking the line
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/6948160958_e75a1ec0c8_c.jpg

Mr.T skiing down
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5316/6948162558_418381ba81_c.jpg

Reina the randodog
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6948163116_cc1716659f_c.jpg

Besides the trip to Norway have added Soundcare equipment feet under my preamp as the table is not totally straight. Perhaps there is also a small difference in sound. Have to listen carefully when have more time.

Also as my vintage Philips CD-850mkII has been showing some problems with reading discs decided that need some other old mid price vintage player to be used as a backup transport for my DA-converter and stumbled on a Pioneer PD-S802. Now can use that if decide to open the unit for cleanup procedure. This also meant that bought few new cds from the recordstore sale. How about that! :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5112/6952043590_7d8b9ea25d_c.jpg

MartinT
21-04-2012, 08:55
Nice photos, Mika. That top one of the lake is superb and makes me want to go there.

Mika K
21-04-2012, 08:57
Thanks. However that is not a lake, it's the northern part of the Atlantic ocean usually called the Norwegian Sea ;)

Mika K
02-05-2012, 20:18
The small one a.k.a Audio Zone AMP-1

Today got Audio Zone AMP-1 based to the Gain Card design of Kimura-San from 47th laboratory. The amp is tiny and nicely engineered piece of kit and it has heavy external PSU. Full dual mono with one set of inputs and extremely short signal path. Very simple design in that sense.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8005/7136489119_bbbf06cb65_c.jpg

Have been listening variety types of music and mostly used my Shindo Aurieges MM as preamp. It seems that compared to my Shindo Montille EL84 porewamp AMP-1 more clinical, transparent and also bit more boring. PJ Harvey and Patti Smith articulate with very clear manner, Stevie Ray Vaughans guitar has more edge and strings at the Barbers Adagio are sharper but also bit too sharp I think.

Shindo has better bass in terms of kick as you can really feel and hear the film of the bass drums as AMP-1 has more drier tone and shows the act in more neutral manner. However when listening some Tool or Soen etc faster music with plenty of kick-drums etc AMP-1 keeps things in slightly better control.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/6990409374_6b404a5745_c.jpg

I think I really have to play with the speaker xo's and their levels to realy see how the AMP-1 would fit in to my system. It certainly would make our living room a bit cooler place during the summer as Shindo Montille runs a bit hot *bad excuse I know* :D

Mika K
15-05-2012, 19:03
Room order

Last weekend changed the room order as during summer it is many times easier to go out from the backdoor and naturally the right speaker has blocked the door in its latest position. This was a wish of the Mrs so decided to give it a try ;)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5236/7204706978_8c8eb606cb_c.jpg

So now the whole set is turned 90 degrees so that it is positioned asymmetrically whole space have available here downstairs. After few days of listening and some rough adjustments for the speaker and listening chair positions have still long way to go for the earlier situation.

However I believe that with careful finetuning I can reach almost the full potential of the system. Have also received permit from Mrs to continue with some room treatment and perhaps also new equipment stand and listening chair, so :D

tony trios
15-05-2012, 20:01
Hi Mika, I am interested in which room treatment you are going to try? I am in the same position at the moment, but am unsure which to try

MartinT
15-05-2012, 20:28
Tony - I've had a lot of experience with Acoustic Sciences (http://www.acousticsciences.com/), having ordered all my room treatment from them. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Mika K
16-05-2012, 04:51
There are few companies here in Finland that do the same but so far have planned to do some small treatments myself.

Because of the radiation pattern of the horns there is no big need to treat front wall but I have planned replacing the current 120x90x4cm diy-panel with a slightly bigger Sounds of Silence panel with some nice printed image from my photo bank. Was thinking 3 panels of 60x120cm size in parallel. Also will add two white 120x60x3cm panels to the roof to match the possible first reflection points.

http://akustiikka-shop.com/images/soundofscience-voice-energy.jpg

The whole back wall is already almost 100% covered with bookshelf filled with LPs and books. This will act nicely as diffusor, just have to do some ordering so that the reflection points from that direction will also be covered as now there are some more or less empty spots there in suitable locations. Perhaps also will consider new, bigger and thicker carpet but that is up to Mrs.

So nothing major actually as have no big problems here when listening normal levels. Have considered some bass traps to the front corners but should first do some measurements as the problems on that front are quite minor. Also tubetraps seem like an interesting option but we'll see. Perhaps for the next house will then do things properly and even consider using professionals. One of my friends did that - not cheap but worth of investment I think.

tony trios
16-05-2012, 12:28
Thank you chaps, looking forward to the next trick bit

Mika K
09-06-2012, 16:34
Just noticed..

..that have not posted here information considering the new member of the family at all. SO few weeks ago I got me Technics SP-10mkII unit sold locally here. Or actually it is a broadcast model made for YLE (finnish equivalent for BBC). The table has separate electronics board SH-10C with mono/stereo switch and headphone jack, separate internal phonostage board SH-10U, SP-10mkII unit itself and SME series III arm plus Clearaudio Aurum Alpha cartridge.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7255625256_5816d078cb_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7081/7255629472_f46d6dcd83_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7255630674_a70fc80705_c.jpg

The first owner after YLE says that this unit has been used at the foyer for the artists waiting their turn to do live performances or heading for the recording studio. That is the reason for the small speaker at the SH-10C unit plus the headphone jack. I know that some years back these were cleared out from YLE with silly low prices and occasionally some unit can be seen at the open markets. One friend acquired one unit with the EPA-100 tonearm. Unfortunately the prices have gone up from those days..

The beast sounds marvelous after checking the mechanics and the tonearm and cartridge adjustments. And this despite of the SME series IIIs arm and Clearaudio Aurum Alpha mkII cartridge. The internal Technics SH-10 series power supply, control unit and phonostage seem to also work as they should. Some weird future plans for this beast are starting to pop to my mind involving something 12" and.. :mental:

AlfaGTV
10-06-2012, 08:55
Moi!

Thats one behemoth of a record player! The Series III is not a bad arm at all, and im sure it sounds lurvely on these mechanics.

Could you describe the acoustic signature? Compared to your beautiful Garrard?

Regards Mike

Mika K
10-06-2012, 12:51
Despite of the Loricraft PSU Garrard has, it seems that Technics has better sense of timing. Overall the sound seems to be a bit more transparent and cleaner. However the bass transients are more powerful with the Garrard and the foundation seems more solid in that front. Have to try to add SME V to Technics for more accurate and direct comparisons as now the impact of the lighter arm and MM cart is unknown..

Barry
10-06-2012, 16:28
Just noticed..

..that have not posted here information considering the new member of the family at all. So few weeks ago I got me Technics SP-10mkII unit sold locally here. Or actually it is a broadcast model made for YLE (Finnish equivalent for BBC). The table has separate electronics board SH-10C with mono/stereo switch and headphone jack, separate internal phonostage board SH-10U, SP-10mkII unit itself and SME series III arm plus Clearaudio Aurum Alpha cartridge.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7255625256_5816d078cb_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7081/7255629472_f46d6dcd83_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7255630674_a70fc80705_c.jpg

The first owner after YLE says that this unit has been used at the foyer for the artists waiting their turn to do live performances or heading for the recording studio. That is the reason for the small speaker at the SH-10C unit plus the headphone jack. I know that some years back these were cleared out from YLE with silly low prices and occasionally some unit can be seen at the open markets. One friend acquired one unit with the EPA-100 tonearm. Unfortunately the prices have gone up from those days..

The beast sounds marvelous after checking the mechanics and the tonearm and cartridge adjustments. And this despite of the SME series IIIs arm and Clearaudio Aurum Alpha mkII cartridge. The internal Technics SH-10 series power supply, control unit and phonostage seem to also work as they should. Some weird future plans for this beast are starting to pop to my mind involving something 12" and.. :mental:

Wow - that's perfect, just perfect Mika! :stalks:

If you come across any more ex broadcast samples, let me know.

The only improvement I can think of would be to replace the SME III with an SME V, or fit a 12" arm and use an Ortofon SPU or an EMT XSD-15 cartridge.

Regards

Marco
10-06-2012, 16:34
SME V? Boo... Noooo. :no:

SME 3012, with an SPU or EMT XSD-15, YESssssss! :exactly:

Marco.

MartinT
10-06-2012, 17:00
I'd rather an FR64, and it's in keeping with the deck.

Marco
10-06-2012, 17:04
Oh yes, that'd do, too, as would my Ortofon RS-212D :)

Marco.

Barry
10-06-2012, 18:17
SME V? Boo... Noooo. :no:

SME 3012, with an SPU or EMT XSD-15, YESssssss! :exactly:

Marco.

What's wrong with an SME V? :scratch:

Marco
10-06-2012, 18:22
Lol - you obviously haven't read my (many) posts on the subject, matey... You have some homework to do! ;)

Marco.

Barry
10-06-2012, 20:01
Lol - you obviously haven't read my (many) posts on the subject, matey... You have some homework to do! ;)

Marco.

Go on, give me a synopsis!

Mika K
10-06-2012, 20:04
I also think this deck screams for a good old medium-to-heavy 12" tonearm (or newer Ortofon) but lets see what will happen in the future.. :D

Mike
10-06-2012, 20:09
I also think this deck screams for a good old medium-to-heavy 12" tonearm (or newer Ortofon) but lets see what will happen in the future.. :D

12" PU7! ;)

Marco
10-06-2012, 20:15
Go on, give me a synopsis!

Ok: The SME V is pish.

Marco.

Barry
10-06-2012, 22:27
Ok: The SME V is pish.

Marco.

Succinct, if not particularly erudite or informative! :(

Marco
10-06-2012, 22:58
Lol - we'll chat about it next time we speak :)

Marco.

Mika K
08-07-2012, 08:13
Few mins after the midnight

Friday we arranged local hifi enthusiasts bbq-evening at my place. Everyone brought something to drink and eat and music flowed all the time. There were nine guests plus few kids also playing around.

After the things settled down me and three close friends stayed until the 1AM and listened music having some quality whisky and beer. The kids and MRs were already sleeping upstairs so kept the volumes relatively quiet. Here OP is enjoying the "easy lover" performed by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins little after the midnight.. :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7519093756_757e5d043e_c.jpg

As you can see Technics was not connected and the Garrard 401/SME V/T'fig Phoenix II combo handled most of the music when not using the bits.

wiicrackpot
08-07-2012, 08:29
Mika, nice room full of vinyl and nice to know the Techy is on the subs bench, important from a fellow 401/SME IV/Lp Ebony user POV. :D

Special mention on the bike (big bike fan me), what make is your Titanium bike?, is it a Litespeed? love the Campagnolo groupset and wheelset, whatever it is,
it's a class steed. :cool:

wii.

Mika K
08-07-2012, 12:54
Hi wii, always nice to hear that someone else loves bikes too :) The bike is indeed titanium and made by italian Gianni Motta in the 90's. Have had it few years after it retired from the duties of winter training bike of one Elite-series racer. Brilliant bike and like a glove.

Unfortunately last Monday noticed a crack at the frames chainstay http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=342436&postcount=11. Most likely repair is not possible but will still investigate that. Also looking for a new frame with similar dimensions and most likely going to order semi-custom steel from one british frame builder but we'll see..

wiicrackpot
08-07-2012, 13:09
Unfortunately last Monday noticed a crack at the frames chainstay http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=342436&postcount=11. Most likely repair is not possible but will still investigate that. Also looking for a new frame with similar dimensions and most likely going to order semi-custom steel from one british frame builder but we'll see..
Mika, hadn't notice your bike post you linked, :rolleyes: i too use a Ti bike (Airborne Corsair MTB) but use a Fondriest with Dedacciai tubing(possibly fancy name for Columbus)with carbon forks on my race bike, see what you're saying about Titanium's unrepairability, thats why Ti parts and bikes are so expensive,one wee mistake and it's scrap, maybe it's time to treat yourself to a full carbon frame. :cool:

wii.

Mika K
08-07-2012, 14:36
I don't know about carbon as it's bit like giving up vinyl and starting to listen all your music from NAS or some other form of zeros and ones :) However titanium is still at my list as Van Nicholas (the company that used to the called Airborne) still has some nice Ti frames around that you do not have to give your other arm:and leg for..

Mika K
13-07-2012, 19:46
Todays effort..

..was to install my new GIK Tri-trap acoustic panels (bought 2nd hand) to the corner of the listening room. Also added my other smaller DIY rack constructed of Ikea Lack tables to my system to give more air to the Shindo amps that are running quite hot during the summer season.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7563587814_3c5d4d588a_c.jpg

Jury is still out there but the GIK products seem to have impact to overall performance of my system (including the room). Might have to do some fine tuning for the speaker positioning and then make the final judgement. More information of the GIK Tri-traps can be found from http://gikacoustics.com/gik_tri_trap.html.

MartinT
13-07-2012, 20:15
Lovely looking speakers, Mika.

Marco
13-07-2012, 21:21
Yes, I can imagine those being the biz!! :respect:

Marco.

Mika K
14-07-2012, 07:41
Thanks. Perhaps you should come to visit to the northern playground here in Finland sometimes :)

Forgot to mention yesterday that also acquired a nice cartridge from a friend - Dynavector XX-1 with some low hours. I think being high output design it will be nice match to my Techy and it's internal SH-10U phonostage. Have been checking Dynavectors for ages and it seems this will be my first real encounter with one in my own system.

http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1260289198.jpg

Will still have to figure out what to do with the tonearm section as the SME III is not one of my favorites have to admit and atleast by paper it is not a very good match for the Dynavector..

MartinT
14-07-2012, 11:48
I used to run a Dynavector 20A2 in an SME III, but agree that it is not the best match. A Jelco 750D would be a good entry level, although a nice used Fidelity Research would be fab :)

macvisual
14-07-2012, 18:07
Glad your getting/enjoying a hot summer season, jealous.....!!!!

theartfulbadger
04-08-2012, 15:06
You have the most insane system, brother! And quite a collection of good music from the looks of things. Well done.

Mika K
15-08-2012, 15:54
Thanks! I guess.. :D

wiicrackpot
15-08-2012, 20:29
Mika,

I am intrigued to what kind of sound emerges from them big horn,big bass and big cabs, i guess American west coast maybe,
you know...wide open 'in yer face' from the horn projection,loud and brash from that 15'incher and with ''attitude'',
imagine dude with Ray Ban's, Halley D. thundering away into the panoramic desert twilight, magnificient. :D

Mika K
19-08-2012, 09:48
Andy, you might be fairly close to reality.

However the sound is not so big and bold that most might expect and that might be more because of the system overall. I guess to fully unleash the potential of the speakers would need larger and acoustically better room and use some serious amplification. The drive units are designed to PA use after all.. :)

Mika K
07-09-2012, 05:42
Cable guy

During the last week have been testing some interconnects. Had some Zu and Analysis Plus interconnects loan from a friend with my mixed cable dressing from Chord and Isoda. Was not very impressed so continued the search.

Next stop was to have a home demo for the three pairs of Tellurium Q Blacks. These cables were really something and had huge impact to the sound, the dynamics, openness and resolution was improved clearly without any drawbacks at the prat section. For some reason especially the analogue side of my system seemed to have a huge improvement. However as the cables were quite costly decided still to investigate some other choices despite of the love :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8457/7945416508_7f19400f88_c.jpg

By the recommendation of a friend I found a german handler manufacturing interconnect from vintage NOS Western Electric cable and decent RCA plugs. Could get 3 pairs with the price of one TQ interconnects so took a risk and ordered the cables.

After some break-in can say that these cables are not bad at all. The midrange is wonderfully stuctured and they're almost every way better than my old ones but are still missing some qualities I loved using the TQ interconnects. The bass section is bit boomy and would need some more resolution as well as the highs lack the sparkle I know should be there.

So staying for WE interconnects for a while but most likely in future will still try some other interconnect. At least the Auditorium 23 ones are high on my shortlist if do not take the easy way out and go for TQs. In the meantime will have some other interesting things to try out I think.. :)

Mika K
10-09-2012, 16:19
I accidentally speakers..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8452/7971358352_23051ffca5_c.jpg

..but just because had suitable stands already at my possession. Atleast that's my explanation to Mrs when she'll notice coming home from the evening shift :)

The speakers are Tannoy Dovers with model 2558 10" DC drivers. They have some marks and scuffs in it with few corners badly damaged. The speakers were not dirty cheap but technically they are mint and sound quite nice indeed. The sealed cabinet holds the bottom end in good grip and especially when listening a bit closer and bit off-axis the balance is surprisingly good despite of the small familiar Tannoy "honk". These will be nice 2nd speakers for my set.

http://www.libidohifi.com/zbxe/files/attach/images/50/786/009/dover12.jpg

Back in the days I owned larger Tannoy Turberrys with bit modern 10" DC driver for several years. Sold them when decided fully to change my system for some stupid reason. Sometimes I wonder why I did even sell those as have been doing now for some time.. :)

Reid Malenfant
10-09-2012, 21:53
Nice find Mika, the one pictured looks very nice indeed :)

Enjoy, as I'm sure you no doubt will...

Mika K
12-09-2012, 07:27
Thanks.

Have been playing around with the positioning of the Tannoys and they seem to work surprisingly well even far far away from the room boundaries. Would be interesting to try the difference positioning the sepakers closer to the wall. The equipment rack and Altecs are taking the space fully, so perhaps that is not possible as don't want to move those around after getting their places right :)

One of my favourite finnish jazz artist released his new album lately. Some years back I wrote short reviews of interesting finnish albums to Naim forums. Perhaps might try that also here someday as it is always nice to shre some nice albums to people who most likely haven't heard about those at all..

wiicrackpot
12-09-2012, 08:55
Lovely speakers Mika, really like the over all blonde finish and cork like effect of the baffle.

Yes, be interested in your reviews of Scandinavian jazz astists, went to the Fife Jazz Festival and saw some good scandic jazzers there.

P.S. check PM, secret to tell.:)

Mika K
12-09-2012, 10:14
Yes in Scandinavia the jazz has been in a hot spot some years and you can really tell this from the quality of some young talents. However it's not too modern, so most of the artists have huge respect to the tradition and when listening you can really tell. Really impressive stuff there to enjoy. The old posts I've written to Naim forum can be found from http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForumTopic/content/1566878605822057, so perhaps you start there :)

And the front baffle of Tannoys really is cork, so not only a effect there :) Checked also PM's, nice secret you have there. I'll try to keep it and will provide some thoughts this evening the latest..

anubisgrau
12-09-2012, 13:44
mika, sorry i'm a newcomer here and i can't find info on how you drive your altecs. is it just a shindo EL84 amp or you have another amp for bass.

i'm asking cause i'm also interested in this kind of onken-derived cab for altecs however afaik hiraga and others from paris horn mafia all drove it with SS amps for best results (in fact hiraga 20 or 30 amps).

Mika K
12-09-2012, 19:29
I'm having custom made passive XO so using only one amp at the time. Sometimes I use my Shindo Montille EL84 (2x13W push-pull) and sometimes my other am, which is Audio Zone AMP-1 (2x50W chip amp).

The Altecs are quite efficient, so both amps can drive them way too loud if necessary. However they both have they pros and cons, so I'm bit undecided with this matter. Even haven't tried any, I'm pretty sure Hiragas amps even the monster one are suitable for Altecs. However have tried some other SS amps and think that with Altecs are quite demanding speakers in that sense, so perhaps I have to disagree with the french mafia at least a bit.. :D

anubisgrau
13-09-2012, 09:05
I'm having custom made passive XO so using only one amp at the time. Sometimes I use my Shindo Montille EL84 (2x13W push-pull) and sometimes my other am, which is Audio Zone AMP-1 (2x50W chip amp).

The Altecs are quite efficient, so both amps can drive them way too loud if necessary. However they both have they pros and cons, so I'm bit undecided with this matter. Even haven't tried any, I'm pretty sure Hiragas amps even the monster one are suitable for Altecs. However have tried some other SS amps and think that with Altecs are quite demanding speakers in that sense, so perhaps I have to disagree with the french mafia at least a bit.. :D

thanks, my experience with onkens is limited, just listened to a few semi successful boxes. there was lots of hiraga writings in french on subject of onken crossovers and onken aplification but afaik his advice was always low power class A (in fact hiraga 20).

anyway, congratulation for the most interesting system there. is your crossover a proprietary design or there's a schematic somewhere?

Mika K
13-09-2012, 11:33
Thanks for the compliment.

The XOs are made by Werner Jagusch from Germany who is also the man behind the Jabo horns. The proprietary design for the XO is his own I believe and my units have some additional customization for the crossover frequency and also for possibility to use 8/16ohm drivers.

Mika K
14-09-2012, 11:40
Thought that will put this shot from last night also here as it seems to quite well sum up the joy in our home when listening music and doing stuff with the kids at the same time. Like drawing something with that Fisher-Price thingie and listening some progressive rock.. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7982702467_a3ef45bb4b_c.jpg

Alex_UK
17-09-2012, 21:51
Great photo!

MartinT
18-09-2012, 05:46
You have competition, Alex!

Mika K
18-09-2012, 09:56
Thanks guys.. :D

stupinder
18-09-2012, 15:46
Thanks guys.. :D
Mika, you have lovely system, a lovely home and a lovely child. Enjoy:)

Mika K
26-09-2012, 20:40
^Thanks.

Let's still put another one for a display as yesterday enjoyed a small concert at our living room while Mrs.Mrok had to work at evening shift at the hospital. The highly skilled and energetic guitar duo played mostly Fröbelin Palikat and Hevisaurus, which are finnish rock bands for kids.. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8027656525_f80446cfc2_c.jpg

Spectral Morn
26-09-2012, 21:24
^Thanks.

Let's still put another one for a display as yesterday enjoyed a small concert at our living room while Mrs.Mrok had to work at evening shift at the hospital. The highly skilled and energetic guitar duo played mostly Fröbelin Palikat and Hevisaurus, which are finnish rock bands for kids.. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/8027656525_f80446cfc2_c.jpg

Fantastic photo

The Black Adder
27-09-2012, 21:31
Really great photo, Mika. Well cool...

Firebottle
11-10-2012, 14:22
There is most likely the only stacked 3-pair Quad ESL system in Europe.http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6202964540_944a8189bc_z.jpg

No wonder he has a smile on his face :stalks:
Spotted the Transcendent grounded grid pre-amp on the rack, anybody had experience of this unit?

Cheers, Alan

Wakefield Turntables
11-10-2012, 14:54
Yeah and that looks like a series whest phono stage as well :eek:

Mika K
11-10-2012, 17:13
You have sharp eyes both of you :) My friend indeed has modified Transcendent grounded grid preamp and also 3 pairs of power amps. And Whest phonoamp of course for his Michell deck with Origin Live tonearm and Lyra cartridge.

Have actually compared that preamp to to my Shindo Aurieges MM and my other friends Airtight preamp. Bit more robust and lush sounding I think but considering the price point very strong performer. Have heard that those things have been modded quite a bit with some good results..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7563587814_3c5d4d588a_c.jpg

During the past weeks have been planning some acoustic treatment to my room which you can see above. This is because have found out the GIK Tri-traps to be very useful at the room corners and have visited few dedicated listening rooms with some convincing treatments and sounds.

Thinking of hanging some acoustic panels to the room with some air behind them to absorb general reflections and to minimize the measured echo time for the room. Already ordered these few days back and think can start the installation during the weekend of next week the latest. Also planning to build some bigger QRD diffusor panels to replace the the acoustic panel hanging behind the set but this might take bit longer :D

As my back wall already has wall wide and tall shelves filled with LPs, books and boardgames think these actions will be enough and raise the performance of my system to a whole new level. At least I think they should what have been discussing with few acoustics gurus here in Finland. Will report when have some progress.

MartinT
11-10-2012, 21:28
Yeah and that looks like a series whest phono stage as well :eek:

Yes, it certainly is.

Mika K
18-10-2012, 05:22
Room treatment - stage one

Yesterday took down old acoustic panels from my walls after new ones arrived. The new ones are made by finnish company Ecophon and the model is Master SQ in size 120 x 60 x 4 cm.

I started by installing two panels to the ceiling of my room with 6cm air behind them. The idea was to locate these approx. to the middle of the roon to absorb the early reflections coming from the ceiling and by first listening this solution seems to work pretty well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8194/8097935414_11cae7a602_z.jpg

Continued already to prepare three panels to the main wall behind the speakers. Will put these in three segments also with some air behind them to improve their qualities and plan also to add some diffusive elements on top of them. Hopefully I will have time to do this during the weekend.. :)

synsei
18-10-2012, 05:40
Those ceiling panels would look particularly groovy with some subtle, pastel shaded mood lighting behind them Mika ;)

Mika K
18-10-2012, 11:52
I knew that someone is going to point that out.. :)

Mika K
19-10-2012, 19:25
Yesterday put the three panels to the main wall behind the system and now the room feels a bit too damped one, so the music and the presentation does not open up anymore. Bit too clinical for my liking have to say.

I guess the original plans to use some diffusive elements at the main wall were more than correct ones. Luckily I have already plans to add some hard surfaced diffusive panels on top of the current ones as that should give the room more natural environment to present the music in effortless way.Also noticed now when listening music with little louder levels that the bass department of the Onken cabs have some small timing issues and boom. I guess after finishing the room treatment will have to continue to planning the internal support matrix inside the cabs as well as the back support to the bass driver..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8103385862_de9cfbe27f_c.jpg

Well, now back to the Paul Gonsalvez jazz album from 1st pressing and my glass of hot whiskey to cure the minor flue. Here is the recipe http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink323.html. Didn't have any Irish whiskey so had to use some Islay malt instead. Wondering is this enough to sen to the hot and nasty place after my short and miserable life.. :D :D :D

Mika K
23-10-2012, 15:54
Room treatment - stage two

Today have stayed at home and not commuted to the office. Some call it sick leave as have a good old flue but have still done some work related tasks remotely. Stupid me :)

Luckily this gave me a change to continue the room treatment project as yesterday received a small parcel from Thomann containing some 25mm Auralex DST-R diffuser panels (36 pieces to be more exact) plus some adhesive compound. So during the afternoon finalized the three Ecophon Master SQ panels in size 120 x 60 x 4 cm already hanging at the main wall with these. I had planned to paint these Auralex panels and also add wooden frame to these three main panels but they do look surprisingly good without any additional work. As Mrs agrees decided to leave it like this at least for a while.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8331/8116068517_c403966dc9_c.jpg

Before with the two plain panels at the roof and the three plain panels at the main wall felt that had too much absorptive material and the sound became bit too "lean" with decrease in spacial information and airiness with damped mids and highs. Now when the three plain panels at the main wall are covered with reflective diffuser panels everything seems to be in order. Got back the missing spacial information and airiness with the mids and higs without any negatives and at the same time the pros from absorption panels still remain to lower frequencies.

Overall I'm really pleased to the room and system performance at the moment. The balance is very close to what I expected and even when listening music with louder levels the room does not interact that much and the reflections from the main room boundaries seem to be nicely in control. Perhaps will still do some minor work with the leftovers but most likely for a living room this starts to be wrapped up :D

tannoyman
25-10-2012, 16:54
Hi Mika

Your system looks absolutely superb. Congratulations.

David :)

tannoyman
25-10-2012, 16:58
[QUOTE=Mika K;374022]Yesterday put the three panels to the main wall behind the system and now the room feels a bit too damped one, so the music and the presentation does not open up anymore. Bit too clinical for my liking have to say.

Room treatments in my experience tend to be blunt instruments. You don't only lose the bits you want to lose but others that you wished to keep. Better underdamped than overdamped in my opinion

Kind regards

David :)

Mika K
25-10-2012, 19:32
Thanks!

Wise words. During the years I have noticed the same with several bigger treatments at the palces where visited. Many prefer pretty damp room acoustics but usually that takes the life out from the music. So better to be careful.. ;)

MartinT
26-10-2012, 06:52
Room treatments in my experience tend to be blunt instruments. You don't only lose the bits you want to lose but others that you wished to keep. Better underdamped than overdamped in my opinion

You're probably right, but it helps to be able to easily change it. My TubeTraps adjust by rotating them (one side is deflection, the other absorption). The flutter echo in my empty room was pretty horrible and I've ended up with maximal damping. I like it that way.

Ammonite Audio
26-10-2012, 08:35
Room treatment - stage two

Today have stayed at home and not commuted to the office. Some call it sick leave as have a good old flue but have still done some work related tasks remotely. Stupid me :)

Luckily this gave me a change to continue the room treatment project as yesterday received a small parcel from Thomann containing some 25mm Auralex DST-R diffuser panels (36 pieces to be more exact) plus some adhesive compound. So during the afternoon finalized the three Ecophon Master SQ panels in size 120 x 60 x 4 cm already hanging at the main wall with these. I had planned to paint these Auralex panels and also add wooden frame to these three main panels but they do look surprisingly good without any additional work. As Mrs agrees decided to leave it like this at least for a while.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8331/8116068517_c403966dc9_c.jpg

Before with the two plain panels at the roof and the three plain panels at the main wall felt that had too much absorptive material and the sound became bit too "lean" with decrease in spacial information and airiness with damped mids and highs. Now when the three plain panels at the main wall are covered with reflective diffuser panels everything seems to be in order. Got back the missing spacial information and airiness with the mids and higs without any negatives and at the same time the pros from absorption panels still remain to lower frequencies.

Overall I'm really pleased to the room and system performance at the moment. The balance is very close to what I expected and even when listening music with louder levels the room does not interact that much and the reflections from the main room boundaries seem to be nicely in control. Perhaps will still do some minor work with the leftovers but most likely for a living room this starts to be wrapped up :D

It's accepted wisdom to place absorption behind the system, at first reflection points and behind the listening position; however it's not always the best thing to do, as you have found out. I favour using diffusion behind the system and at the first reflection points, with careful use of absorption behind the listening position. In most listening rooms (except those that are very large), there is a limit to the amount of total absorption that the room will tolerate (before it becomes pretty much anechoic) and domestic furnishings go most of the way towards controlling reverberation anyway. Bass is always a more difficult thing to control, so this is where Martin's bass traps come in, but most of us do not have listening rooms large enough to accommodate the sheer bulk of an effective bass trap.

Your Auralex diffusive panels do look rather good!

Mika K
06-11-2012, 09:32
Techie again

Few days ago received this Techie SL-120mkII with some extras (Rega and SME arm boards, upgraded feet, clamp etc) bought from AoS and it's looking rather nice (please note the nice Islay supports for the deck ;) )

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/8159165825_cff49d88e8_c.jpg

The YLE Broadcast deck I have it's just so big that it needs to go as do not really have place for it. It's a shame but on the other this was good decision as do not have the heart to modify that historical piece. This Techie is somewhat of replacement for that as living with only one deck seems too hard thing to do. Also now do not need to change my signature so that's added bonus :)

Have planned to do some minor mods to Techie like adding the Oyaide platter mat and then get a tonearm that is suitable for Denon DL-103 and its heavier variants. Perhaps could also try what my SME V and T'fig cart says about this deck compared to my heavy Garrard. Not planning to do any PSU upgrades at this point but perhaps bearing will have to be changed. We'll see what will happen..

wiicrackpot
06-11-2012, 09:40
Very nice Mika, slippery slopes from now on matey, betcha can't wait till you get it set up to spin that 'Mothership' Lp. :cool:

Mika K
06-11-2012, 09:46
Hmm, perhaps should try that SME V with Techie or should I.. :D

Wakefield Turntables
06-11-2012, 10:26
Try the V I think you will like it. Some people on aos don't think it makes the best combo, but for me it sounds great:eyebrows:

wiicrackpot
06-11-2012, 10:37
+1, being a SME IV user, think you should suck it and see. :)

Mika K
27-11-2012, 18:30
third time tells the truth?

A month ago etc was asking comments and experiences about using studiomonitors at home, mainly because after living few years without ones started to feel a bit weird. Have owned some other monitor also but my main interest have always been Yamaha NS-100M's and have owned two different pairs.

So after looking what there is to offer from old BBC monitors to new ATC SM50's and even Genelec 1038B's noticed one add at Germany that caught my attention and soon had courier knocking on my door with two bulky packages. And oh boy they were packed! Four layers of cardboard, bubblewrap in between and also one supporting frame in one layer plus then cloth over the speakers and the grilles, naturally. I have bought and sold lot of equipment but this was the best so far..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8062/8221833016_58f4c71d31_c.jpg

So what was inside? The domestic version Yamaha NS-1000 naturally. Near mint Ebony wooded speakers having build quality surplus to none. After brief check that everything was ok after shipping made small modification to the rear panel, changing the odd original posts to decent ones accepting banana plugs or spades etc. Had a Santas little helper present of course..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8220754803_05bbaf6f18_z.jpg

Despite of the tricky load and the placement the Yams sound wonderful with my current kit. Open, detailed, transparent and very fast - even better than anticipated. Very capable speakers compared to many modern and much more expensive designs and these domestic models have even good WAF, much better than my Altecs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8197/8221832538_d6b42842d4_c.jpg

Now just need to track down suitable stands for these or even have some customer ones to be made and also think about the cap upgrade or even redo the whole xo. Perhaps the third time tells you the truth :D

wiicrackpot
27-11-2012, 19:09
Gawd !! they're gorgeous, :smoking: love the grain on the wood, hope they perform as good as they look, any chance of a couple of shots of the drivers?.

wii.

Mika K
28-11-2012, 14:41
Thanks!

They indeed perform like no other speakers I've heard for a long long time. But I'll take some driver etc. pics later.. ;)

Mika K
28-11-2012, 19:36
And few more pics..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8226931547_f0a8d19cc2_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8228002044_4b7758fb2c_c.jpg

PS: Is it normal that the equipment has occupied approx. 1/3 of our living room in our apartment for family of four. C'mon isn't it.. :D

The Grand Wazoo
28-11-2012, 19:51
Not normal...........but correct!

wiicrackpot
28-11-2012, 20:59
PS: Is it normal that the equipment has occupied approx. 1/3 of our living room in our apartment for family of four. C'mon isn't it.. :D

Not normal...........but correct!
:respect: Love your 'fit your family round the HiFi ethos', think new shoes and handbag for the wife is due for putting up with it. :lol:

Lovely drivers and baffle, enjoy. :cool:

AlfaGTV
21-12-2012, 11:27
You like the NS's so much you're selling your Altecs? Saw your ad on hifimagasinet.com :)
Regards //Mike

wiicrackpot
21-12-2012, 11:45
:eek::eek: Really!!... those Yammy's must be something else.

Mika K
22-12-2012, 20:52
They really are special speakers that I have loved for decades. They offer something that is still rare among modern speakers. It's a pity that many of the people heard the Yams have no clue of their true potential :) This is actually my third pair and as they are minty domestic ones thinking to keep them, if not always the main speakers but at least for that second set.

Altecs are also something special but would need bit bigger room to reach the optimum listening distance etc. However the actual problem is that I do not have any possibilities to store them at the moment, so while Yams are at the spotlight the Altecs are tucked to the rear corners of the living room and taking quite a lot of space. During the last weeks did some search for storage offerings but that will just be too expensive, as do not have any friend that could take those to loan, decided to publish add to finnish and swedish forums. So let's see what the lady luck says this time..:eyebrows:

Mika K
12-01-2013, 14:45
Altecs are still here waiting some decision. Lately I've been more and more thinking should I just start another enclosure project to result a bit smaller outcome than the Onkens - sacrifice a little bass performance to sill fit these to the house together with my Yams. Perhaps some cornermount or hmm.. ;)

In the meantime a little pic from yesterday evening when was listening some music while Mrs. was at work. Daddys and kids toys fit here nicely.. :D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8372407311_ecddcea33d_c.jpg

Wakefield Turntables
12-01-2013, 19:33
. Daddys and kids toys fit here nicely.. :D

Love it!

Mika K
26-01-2013, 13:14
The last supper..

..kind of.

Have now few days again listened the Altecs before will transfer them to dry and warm storage space I have rented. The plan is to fill that with Altecs and some bikes with some other stuff (clothes/toys/etc) our family is not needing at the moment. This is mainly because we have put our apartment for sale and Mrs. has implied that having these monsters at the corner of our living room and other stuff lurking from the closets does not actually make it any easier..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5312/8412253338_f4cdaca33b_c.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5114/8411156313_499fba9e67_c.jpg

Anyway, have now listened these without the JB supertweeters and still the sound is something really special and might be that if these will not be sold soon I will just store them until have space to use them again. The Yams work extremely well with the Shindo/RWA amplification and have no rush to change that. Perhaps in the meantime will just continue to develop some heretic design for smaller enclosure for the bass and then study the use of some DSP solution to make it work. I'm going slightly mad.. :D

Mika K
10-02-2013, 09:08
AN UK inspired

Audio Note UK showrooms and also few systems I have heard at other enthusiasts places have always puzzled me. MOstly because of the recommendation to put the speakers close to room boundaries or even the corners. Have also thought the same when studying a bit for the corner enclosures used with vintage Altec drivers. Long time ago I used Snell J/II speakers and had them pretty close to room boundaries. Now the Yamaha NS-1000's have pretty mild bass department and in theory the corner placement should be possible even have not seen that one used anywhere - bravely go to the places where no man has gone.. ;)

I placed the speakers in front of the GIK Acousticsin broadband corner traps so that the speakers aim diagonally towards the room and distance to the walls is approx. 18cm measured from the speaker back corners. I'm listenig the speakers now off-axis, so that the speakers on-axis cuts approx. 1m and 30cm in front the listening spot. Looks weird! Have try to get some pics of this..

What is the most surprising the speakers actually work well like this even without the fine tuning. The lower bass has bit more power and the response seems to be surprisingly flat without any room modes. Mid and high frequencies are tad milder that with standard placement and overall the sound is not so accurate than before. Actually the sound now reminds me pretty much of the one I heard last time with Audio Note UK system. Despite the piano spreads too wide or the cello seems to be played by 3m giant, the music overall seems pretty effortless and has some nice scale with decent prat.

Some heretic trials you need to abandon immediately but this one seems to have some serious potential. Perhaps have to investigate this a little bit more and after a while try the traditional placement and se what thoughts will come up :D

Mika K
10-02-2013, 17:01
And here's the pic.. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8461151137_29e614f2e8_b.jpg

AlfaGTV
10-02-2013, 17:16
Looks good visually too, but i must say im sceptical to the soundstaging and depth this way?
I tried this with my Snell E/III earlier, but in my room that didn't work.
(Have listened to AN UK stuff i familiar environments though, and that have always worked nice...)
Regards Mike

Mika K
14-03-2013, 12:08
After some time of listening and making more minor adjustments the speakers are now bit further away from the corners so that the speakers on-axis cuts approx. 70cm in front of the listening position. As suggested by Mike this led to improved soundstaging without compromizing the lower end and prat. Also the center stage is now better without piano spreadding too wide. There are still few room modes to fight thou, so I think that the minor adjustments will continue as before.. :)

ATH-W5000

Last week received new headphones from a friend that proposed to trade them to one of my old vinyl players. Have tried to get into world of headphones earlier with several models from Stax, Sennheiser and Grado but always failed. It's not the sound but more about the feeling that you're somehow restricted when using headphones. So far have only managed to use headphones more at the office or with portable devices. However have not tried closed applications earlier, sohere we go again :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8225/8540925123_9e5c01a84b_c.jpg

I guess the next thing to do is to try few alternatives as a headphone amp. Now using only my Macbook pro or iPad and somehow think there's still some potential left to discover..

Mika K
15-03-2013, 18:57
Today again one of my reviews was published at finnish webjournal Audiovideo.fi and this time the target was Clearaudios beautiful piece Statement Clamp. Unfortunately the review is available only in finnish.. :doh:

http://audiovideo.fi/testi/clearaudio-statement-levyklamppi-testissa

AlfaGTV
15-03-2013, 19:39
Thats interesting Mika! Can you tell us a few words about your impressions on a clamp costing around €500?
Im sure it does something, but nowhere near it's price! :)
Regards Mike

Mika K
16-03-2013, 11:46
Yes the review process was interesting. In brief:

The Clearaudio Statements build quality is second to none and technically clamp is based rather on resonance control than only weight. With warper records not so effective than weight with flat base or srew-on clamp. Soundwise compared to my Project Record Puck it seems to dig out a bit more air, resolution and accuracy. Bass is little lighter but better defined. The differency is small but it seems to be present both in short comparisons and in longer usage.

The price is still relatively steep, so decision to get one must be done after trial and consideration. I did not get one, at least not yet as have many other things to improve first.. :)

AlfaGTV
17-03-2013, 09:04
Thanks for putting your impressions on "paper" Mika! Have tried a few weights/clamps, none as expensive as the ClearAudio though.
I seem to generally prefer low weight clamps, along with your choice of tt mat. The best weight to me is the Thorens thingy, seems to mostly take away distorsion and unwanted effects, without shaping the sound of the TT.

Best regards
//Mike

Mika K
26-04-2013, 21:02
Big changes coming as last week sold our apartment and looking for new one with suitable space for my system. Don't know yet is it going to be shared living room space as now or dedicated listening room but either way I think have to think carefully what we're doing here. Interesting times have to say but still few issues to cover from the past weeks.. :D

For the love of music?

I guess that's the title for the book that covers the history and legend of McIntosh, perhaps the most famous amplifier maker coming from US. Few weeks ago spotted their MA2275 tube integrated amplifier for sale here in Finland and guess what..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8257/8680835695_88e8e183d8_c.jpg

Have always loved the legendary MC275 power amplifiers sound and this is based on the same topology and design despite having modern preamp section. The amp is huge 35kg beast and the looks are something that most certainly will divide opinions with its bulky presence and luminous power meters. Soundwise it seems to be really good match to my vintage NS-1000 monitors, so I guess it is time to listen and perhaps make some direct comparisons to Shindo-RWA combo bit later.. :)

During this week I also acquired some Solid Tech parts to my possession - three sets of Radius legs with lenghts of 319mm, 234,5mm ja 234,5mm. These were leftovers from one other Helsinki based audio enthusiast, so got them for a fair price. My plan is to design a DIY rack with four shelves that looks good and takes all the gear I have without any issues. So not going to move the DIY Ikea Lack rack to new place anymore. I guess the next step is to decide the dimensions and the wood Iäm going to use for this.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8543/8680835395_1fe1e32b1d_c.jpg

MartinT
26-04-2013, 21:19
At last - someone else with a Solid Tech system rack (or at least, will have one)! Wonderful rack system, and I recommend you get the Disc of Silence isolation feet for it.

Tim
26-04-2013, 22:31
Beautiful Mika, I always enjoy your pictures :)

jason
27-04-2013, 06:17
Very nice set up Mika, I can't believe that's a Ikea rack you've done a great job with it. That amp is a beauty :stalks::)

Mika K
27-04-2013, 06:37
Thanks!

It's Ikea alright. It looks good and have been in use for 4-5 years already and it has been under lot of weight lately. Now starting to wonder that need something burlier as my Garrard including the base etc weights 36kgs and the amp is 35kg, so starting to get bit nervous here.. :)

The Black Adder
27-04-2013, 07:51
I did made that 'Lack..?' rack from Ikea a few years ago and it worked great. Low mass material too. System looks great, Mika.... as always. :)

Mika K
28-04-2013, 16:23
Thanks!

Today family is gone gone gone, so had plenty of time to re-check the speaker position with new amp and it really seems that the optimum location for the speakers is bit different than earlier. I guess it is mainly because the McIntosh amp has bit more grunt at the bass and this causes the system balance to change a fait bit..

Now it looks like this at our living room other end.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/8689729800_3b264b3677_c.jpg

bigmarty
28-04-2013, 18:05
OOOH nice, I bet your system sounds smashing, and great photography too......looking forward to your new rack.

Marty :D

Rare Bird
28-04-2013, 18:38
Something i noticed do they not have fited carpets in Scandynavia?

Mika K
28-04-2013, 18:46
No, at least Finland can be considered as a fitted carpet free zone as far as I'm aware.. :D

losenotaminute
28-04-2013, 18:52
Incredible picture, love the lights on the McIntosh. Looks very classy in black & white. Feeling green with envy now.

Rare Bird
28-04-2013, 19:44
No, at least Finland can be considered as a fitted carpet free zone as far as I'm aware.. :D

Any particular reason Mika as it's not that warm over there :eyebrows: O i couldnt live without a thick underlay & carpet, just like stroking a persian cat walking over one :lol:

Mika K
28-04-2013, 20:26
Hmm, from my perspective that's bit weird statement as here every house and apartment are constructed properly for winter (base insulation, no direct chimnays, heavy insulated doors and 3-layer windows etc) and have good heating systems. Despite it can be more than -30 degrees outside the inside temperature is usually between +19 and +23 degrees in every house with warm floors including the public locations as schools etc. Naturally.

I already apologize the following but :rolleyes:

I have visited UK few times during winter period and have been always freezing when spending time inside. Also the moisture is a problem and that might lead to all kinds of different situations with bacteria, mold, fungus etc. The fitted carpet does not save anything even with thick underlay when construction basics are not there for the cold times. Also that thingie is such a pain to keep clean that wouldn't hope similar solution even to my worst enemies :D

Rare Bird
28-04-2013, 20:31
But we love mould & condensation :lol:

Mika K
28-04-2013, 20:33
Yes, I bet you do :D

Rare Bird
28-04-2013, 20:35
:lolsign:

MartinT
30-04-2013, 06:32
All I will say in our defence is that new building regulations are far better in terms of cavity and loft insulation, double-glazing and air-tight door and window seals. My house is a new build and it's toasty warm in winter at my preferred 19C, whereas my partner's house, which is only about 13 years old, is noticeably colder and draughtier. Being a woman, she sets her heating at the predictable 24C or so and yet it doesn't feel as warm all around as mine.

Mika K
04-05-2013, 07:41
Oops

I think we just bought a house :eek: or at least our offer was accepted yesterday, so I guess there's no going back anymore. It's pretty new and more or less perfect for our family. However the only downside is that the listening room is going to be a bit smaller than the one I'm having now.

I was thinking to compensate this issue by planning there proper acoustic treatment starting from scratch, perhaps even using a professional designer for the job if have the budget available. Have few friends that have done it and all have have said it has been their best spent money so far. The room is normal living room with windows etc so, it's not fully symmetrical. Luckily the house is wooden so no concrete walls there to cause problems.

So now all the changes/updates in the actual system are on hold and after a month or two will se how this starts to roll out :)

AlfaGTV
04-05-2013, 08:09
Congrats Mika! I'm sure you will enjoy your new "habitat"! Lots of freedom to mould the new place into your new home.
Regards Mike

wiicrackpot
04-05-2013, 08:12
Oops

I think we just bought a house :eek: or at least our offer was accepted yesterday, so I guess there's no going back anymore. It's pretty new and more or less perfect for our family. However the only downside is that the listening room is going to be a bit smaller than the one I'm having now.

I was thinking to compensate this issue by planning there proper acoustic treatment starting from scratch, perhaps even using a professional designer for the job if have the budget available. Have few friends that have done it and all have have said it has been their best spent money so far. The room is normal living room with windows etc so, it's not fully symmetrical. Luckily the house is wooden so no concrete walls there to cause problems.

So now all the changes/updates in the actual system are on hold and after a month or two will se how this starts to roll out :)
Eeeekk!!... i can sense something special going to happen. :eek:

Is your Onken Altec's in your grand scheme of things or are you moving to pastures new?,
please chronologically post pics of how the system and the room develops ala bike thread. :cool:

Mika K
04-05-2013, 10:43
Well something at least but don't know bout that special part :) And thanks for the congrats!

I'm guessing the Altecs are going to clearly be too big to the new room if do not decide to make it fully dedicated one, which try to avoid so planning to go with the Yams for a while now. Of course situation might be different after we actually have moved and see how everything will turn out..

Anyway will take at least some pics when the things start rolling.

Mika K
18-06-2013, 19:28
Ok.

Now we have been living at the new house few weeks and things are starting to settle and find their places, also the system :) The sound is different than earlier, which is as expected because of the smaller listening room and the missing acoustic treatment etc. Here is the first pic from the new room as it stands at the moment.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5338/9079185474_47bdd576ed_c.jpg

Have agreed that one friend with measurement equipment will visit us soon, so that can play little with speaker placement with some hard evidence and also afterwards can start planning what acoustic treatment is needed and where.. :)

MartinT
18-06-2013, 19:45
That looks like a nice listening chair, Mika. Again, great photography.

Andrew B
18-06-2013, 19:59
Why can't I ever put a room together like that? You should work as a set designer for Ikea. If anyone is in doubt, I mean that entirely as a compliment. I love Ikea and their layouts are an inspiration to millions of people with little vision, such as my humble self.

Also, why can't I conceive and then produce images one tenth as good as yours? That's before I even see the utterly gorgeous McIntosh sat there, pleading with me to sell my soul and buy one of its brethren.

Please tell me you really own an Amstrad tower system and the pic is photoshopped. Otherwise I will remain eternally jealous every time I see your posts! :D

AlfaGTV
18-06-2013, 20:50
Ahh, hold on! I just spotted the acoustic treatment, there, in the bottom right corner!
I can clearly see a set of miniature bass traps, with a Laphroaig logo??? ;)
If you've emptied them i can appreciate that it sounds different! :lol:

Seriously though, looks really nice, bright and inviting. As usual, exemplary photography!
Regardsv /Mike

Mika K
19-06-2013, 08:00
Thanks for the comments! The new room is pretty nice and bright/light because of the large windows. The room also opens to the kitchen and hall. The hall is actually the place where my LPs are located and it's behind my back when taking the pic above. I have high hopes to get it working for listening also way better than it does now, and also without the room looking like professional acoustic chamber. Time will tell how I exceed with this.

And oh yes, naturally the miniature bass traps have been adjusted so that part of them are full, some almost full, half full, nearly empty and finally also empty. This way you are able to able achieve better end results I'm sure :D The chair is vintage design by Finnish designer Markku Pakkanen named "Harlekiini". Really good and comfy chair for taller bloke like me but needs some rework after heavy usage as you can see from the pic below..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5488/9076960821_6bb8b1b80a_c.jpg

Firebottle
19-06-2013, 09:51
I can clearly see a set of miniature bass traps, with a Laphroaig logo??? ;)

:lol: Oh is that what they are, I keep mine in the cupboard :doh:

Must get them out more often,
:cool:Alan

The Grand Wazoo
19-06-2013, 09:57
.....Oh is that what they are......
Firewater?

stupinder
19-06-2013, 13:47
Nice room, nice kit and lovely pics. Every time I see a thread on AOS that shows kit in situ I think to myself ...."you are a scutter Stuart. Take up the hoover and hoover. Take up the big box and throw some crap out. " It never happens.

thaddeussmith
19-06-2013, 14:51
can you share more about your macbook pro setup? what types of media you use it for, players, DACs, method of connection, etc?

Mika K
20-06-2013, 07:41
Sure. I'm mainly using LPs when really listening music but lately more and more of the "everyday" listening has been done with the Macbook Pro setup.

I have Macbook Pro and NAS (WD 2GB drive with Raid backup system) in my WLAN. Tha NAS includes part of my CD collection and some downloaded albums in losless format and in addition I can use Spotify premium or Sony Music Unlimited services to stream music online. To transport the signal forward for all of these I can use either my WLAN with Apple Airport Express and optical cable, or then direct USB cable, connected to Russ Andrews DAC-1 I have connected to my system. Not the best possibly system and at the moment heavily dependent of my WLAN but still during the years it has been reliable and user friendly system..

Tarzan
20-06-2013, 16:35
Thank you for the comments Marco! Have to check the photo sections here elsewhere as have not yet done that.

One of my friends here in Finland tweaked his DL-103 with some other style of wooden body and also had new boron shaft and Micro Ridge stylus installed by Benz. Says it is noticeable better but have not heard the result myself. So have some information of the subject already. Perhaps the question is that is the fully 'tweaked' DL-103 DL-103 at all :)

Hi Mika, l have tried a Denon DL103 in my SME V and thought it sounded really good, and this was very badly set up, in the next week or so l am getting up by a dealer, but l am excpecting it to sound even better, will report back in due course:)

Mika K
06-07-2013, 08:37
The Denon is surprisingly competent cart despite its shortcomings. Have not used my Zu in ages, perhaps have to give it a hot during the summer vacation period if have time from other things. That said - now the T'fig cart is really singing after the house move when have re-aligned and adjusted everything.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8614818097_0eee89e79d_c.jpg

Now just have to get on with the acoustic project as last week few of my friends were here with the proper measurement equipment. Checked the speaker placement and adjusted the subwoofer to match the main Yams and now it integrates in very clean way. If you wouldn't know that I have one here you certainly wouldn't notice it and the LF response goes now under 20Hz without any shortcomings.

Now have some Vicoustic Wavewood panels spread around the room but have to still figure out the exact places and attach those properly. Then might next consider what to do for the roof. ANd also have the my diy Solidtech Radius project there waiting for the wood and also terrace project pending, blaah :D

AlfaGTV
07-07-2013, 07:20
Well, you've got all summer to spend on your projects! ;)
Very piccies as usual Mika!
Regards Mike

Mika K
10-09-2013, 16:15
Finally some progress! That's what we're talking about here :D

Last week go the new equipment rack finished that have been working on for the past month or so. Simple, solid design that looks good and takes everything it needs to. Most of the Vicoustic acoustic panels have been added to the room despite the ceiling is still undone and few panels are behind the futon sofa, those can be raised to the top of the sofa and in front of window in case os critical listening. Have also added some slate under the amp, phono preamp and the PSU, as well as the DA converter. Got new vintage listening chair from one person that was about to move Helsinki.

The system is starting to sound bloody marvellous! For the people interested of measurements and figures can say that the system nails 16Hz with -3db with good quality and the subwoofer is really well integrated to the main speakers. The whole bandwidth is inside +/-3db with two exceptions that are inside +/-5db and this is not done sacrificing the tone or the rhythmic drive :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7376/9715979335_9e7a06b902_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7331/9716001003_26c8fed701_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/9719231628_7cf72f695c_c.jpg

bigmarty
10-09-2013, 17:00
Hi Mika,

What can I say stunning system and pictures :)

Marty :D

Mika K
17-09-2013, 17:27
Had to dig out my camera as took few pics of the new vintage listening chair acquired recently to a friend who's trying to check it's origin, so here's one also to this forum. Finally you're able to see also some colors here.. :cool:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/9787052853_9177143fd6_c.jpg

AlfaGTV
17-09-2013, 20:24
And very nice colours it is, too! :)
Great photography, as always!

I have also fallen into the trap of beryllium domes, and aquired a pair of NS-1000M :)
They must be the best value of real hifi available today!

Regards Mike

Mika K
28-09-2013, 06:08
Hmm, don't really know whats wrong with my Flickr account as it keeps losing pics or updating/breaking the old the links :scratch:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/9787052853_f3012a78ab_c.jpg

Mika K
22-11-2013, 10:43
I really hope that got my Flick account sorted out some time ago, so perhaps time to update something here also.

During the last months I've been testing few DACs including the Metrum NOS Mini DAC, that was relatively interesting item. It had pretty good overall performance with nice detailed sonic signature. However with the bottom octaves or with its rhythmic precision it did not match my current Russ Andrews DAC-1. Not having any solid plans at the moment but as most of the "everyday music" is nowadays streaming from Spotify or NAS I think will need to check some options for my next DAC possibly even with Hires support.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3760/10967551316_d4fb43d3df_c.jpg

The vinyl rig has been doing it's thing without any changes and that's the way I like to have it. Despite the occasional idea for 2nd player have no plans for this.The NS-1000 monitors are working really well but still think that could use other set of speaker, preferrably with horns. Have been eyeballing few interesting options from used market and going to see/listen one during the weekend. If that's not my coffee have even considering some Avantgarde Acoustics stuff like Unos or Duos.. :)

Mika K
23-11-2013, 06:57
Today spent the cover song evening at our house with some friends that also like hifi and music like me. The idea was to bring some CDs and LPs with cover songs, and prepare small introduction for others of the music and the backround.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/11000068375_2fc971e716_z.jpg

Listened some music and discussed many interesting topics. I prepared light dinner (bluecheesesalad, tandoorichicken with white bread and mountain cheese) and we shared few quality beers. Then listened some more music etc. Jolly good!!!

Here my friend Mr.T is listening one of the tracks Mr.H played to us from one french LP..

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/11000072325_714b8b534c_c.jpg

AlfaGTV
23-11-2013, 10:26
As usual, very nice piccies Mika! I'm a little envious on your ability to push the contrast without loosing detail!
And i'm sure you had a great evening! We're a few audiophools who does likewise. Some beer, (not necessarily quality, though ;)) some food and lots of music!

Regards Mike

Mika K
24-11-2013, 18:28
Thanks Mike!

Too bad I live here in the north and in middle of nowhere. Otherwise would most likely travel around more to meet people and if possible in these kind of great occasions :)

Mika K
05-12-2013, 22:18
Today evening Mrs.Mrok is at the roller derby club party and as the kids are sleeping started to felt abit bored while listening music and checking some discussion forums from the laptop.

Suddenly decided to try this one danish teak chair in our living room as it has been buried under felts and clothes at our master bedroom for a while. I guess the chair is from the 60s. Nice chair despite being little low for my tastes. I actually received this as pre-heritage from my grandmother when moved to my own place almost 20 years ago.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/11227459623_b5f220dcc6_c.jpg

AlfaGTV
06-12-2013, 22:13
Thats an interesting take on your listening experience! But, oh so true!
Personally i prefer comfy before stylish, but thats a compromise i have to live with every day ;)

As usual, sublime photography!

The Barbarian
06-12-2013, 22:33
I'm i hallucinating? but i thought you guys were bicycle fit guys!

synsei
06-12-2013, 22:43
Here my friend Mr.T is listening one of the tracks Mr.H played to us from one french LP..

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/11000072325_714b8b534c_c.jpg

Hmmm Mika, the beer, food and music must have been particularly fine that evening as I really don't remember visiting your wonderful home. We also appear to have moved on one letter in the alphabet as I am Mr S. Your friend is my doppelganger from the side... ;)

Mika K
08-12-2013, 16:16
Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Mika K
12-12-2013, 17:52
I will burn in hell for this.. :eyebrows:

I have lusted Eames Lounge Chair for ages and knowing the prices have decided that will not buy any cheap copy and instead will try to hunt down an used original. However last week one of my work collegues said that his friend is moving and has China imported Eames copy for sale. The chair had been bought directly from factory for sale few years ago and has "upgrade" leather installed instead of some cheap stuff. I though this over and over again during few days and as the price was way cheap I swallowed the bait with the line, rod, fisherman and the boat also. So now I have fake Eames Lounge Chair standing at my living room. I know. I will burn in hell for this.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3739/11341245526_f7826a11de_z.jpg

The chair is fairly good quality and the leather especially is something else than usually with the el cheapos but despite that of course it's not the same thing than the original. It feels solid and is really comfy thou. So alas! I've taken decision that at some point I will buy new original one if do not bump into 2nd hand option. When this happens? I do not know but from now on that will definitely be one of my targets..

AlfaGTV
12-12-2013, 18:41
Good decision! This is art with function!
Besides, i think you'll enjoy music even more with this "upgrade"

Enjoy!
//mike

Mika K
18-12-2013, 19:33
I accidentally speakers..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5514/11439115764_0ccaeec7dc_z.jpg

Mika K
19-12-2013, 09:54
And few pics from the first iteration with the original JBL 4341 Studio Monitors with alnico magnets etc.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/11448090553_aea3afd935_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7360/11447920885_dd57d0816d_z.jpg

Very promising have to say! I think I have to play bit with the speaker positioning, switch the side for other supertweeter and also get those monsters some "legs" or stands that raise them little out of the floor..

AlfaGTV
19-12-2013, 13:46
Feck me! There be monsters! :)
I'm sure you are a happy bunny Mika, looking forward to hearing some more on your impressions!

synsei
19-12-2013, 14:30
Apart from all their other fine attributes they would also make the most excellent party speakers... :D

Idlewithnodrive
20-12-2013, 10:19
Those speakers and that room look AMAZING Mika.

If the set-up sounds as good as it looks then you are one lucky dude :)

anubisgrau
20-12-2013, 12:28
what's that stuff on the walls - art or room treatment? if later, what exactly?

Mika K
20-12-2013, 12:51
^ Those are acoustic treatment from Vicoustic.

http://www.vicoustic.com/music-broadcast/products/acoustic-treatment/absorption/panel/415

Macca
21-12-2013, 11:33
Okay Mika

I've been jealous of your system and room for some time now, that Eames chair almost pushed me over the edge but those JBLs have finally done it. I will be coming over to Finland to burgle your house in the near future ;)

Tim
21-12-2013, 12:14
I will be coming over to Finland to burgle your house in the near future ;)
If you snag the speakers and chair, can you get me his CD collection Martin ;)

Macca
21-12-2013, 12:35
If you snag the speakers and chair, can you get me his CD collection Martin ;)

Yep no problem - as we have different musical tastes we should be able to whack it out between us quite successfully :)

Mika K
21-12-2013, 16:14
Those CDs you're free to snag any given day as long as you stay away from my vinyl collection.. :D

Mika K
06-01-2014, 19:53
Today spent few hours tweaking the speaker placement for the JBLs and actually found one I prefer over the previous one. Also did some experiments with the speaker height using some small bricks and books under the current feet made from wood and think I nailed it. Later today contacted my local carpenter (who is friend of mine) with the exact measurements and ordered the stands bit like the ones used by Kenrick Audio. As he is crafting those for me besides other more commercial stuff don't know the exact target date, so not going to hold my breath for the quick delivery.. :D

SLS
06-01-2014, 20:28
Altecs are still here waiting some decision. Lately I've been more and more thinking should I just start another enclosure project to result a bit smaller outcome than the Onkens - sacrifice a little bass performance to sill fit these to the house together with my Yams. Perhaps some cornermount or hmm.. ;)

In the meantime a little pic from yesterday evening when was listening some music while Mrs. was at work. Daddys and kids toys fit here nicely.. :D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8372407311_ecddcea33d_c.jpg

Great system. Even better pics. Like the use of flare in this one.
I did like the retro bamboo blinds in the old room.

Two questions
1. What camera?
2. Where are these white acoustic panels from?

p.s. I used to be on the floor doing the Brio with my kids
Next step is Kapla - the best building toy ever.
http://www.kapla.com/kapla/accueil.en.htm
My brother in law is addicted to it and he's 48.

Steven

Mika K
07-01-2014, 16:10
The pic was taken ages ago while we were still living in our old apartment but.. :)

1. Looking from the storage it looks like the pic was taken with Panasonic DMC-LX3 (f/2:1/4":5.1mm:ISO 800)
2. The panels are DIY by yours truly using Ecophon Master Alpha acoustic panels in size 120x60x4cm plus Auralex Acoustics DST-R diffusive tiles on top.

Mika K
08-01-2014, 16:55
Few pics from the living room with new speaker placement and longer listening distance..

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2868/11839181813_69c0c14189_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/11839184083_71ddcd3e42_c.jpg

Marco
08-01-2014, 17:51
Wonderful pic, Mika. I love the warmth and cosiness portrayed by the room, thanks to the soft lighting and the gentle glow of the meters on the McIntosh amp - just my kinda thing!

I could happily chill there for hours :)

Marco.

RochaCullen
08-01-2014, 17:55
Great idea having the lamp behind the system. Creates a nice effect.

SLS
09-01-2014, 20:50
Thanks for the info on the panels. They looked familiar. I was after some. I saw them elsewhere, searched and found them and then lost my search.

Nice little camera. Recently replaced a Canon S90 f/2 with the f/1.4 DMC-LX7 (in the Leica DLUX6 version), probably the best pocket low light camera around and great value.

Mika K
09-02-2014, 19:05
Psvane T-series

Have used already Genalex Gold Lion KT-88 tubes with my McIntosh amp but with the stock preamp tubes. Upgraditus maximus has lurkes behind the corner last week saw few hundred used 12AT7-T ja 12AX7-T tubes for sale here in Finland from other McIntosh owner. Most of the user reviews for Psvane tubes are positive as well as other ones like this Tone Audio one mm. http://www.tonepublications.com/blog...ntastic-tubes/, so decided to give these a try.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/images/PsvanesingletubefromGF.jpg

So far have been really satisfied and below are the three main differences that I feel have the biggest impact in my system when comparing these to the stock ones:

1) Better PRAT - Despite talking about american made tubeamp still feel that this can be covered as every kit has these in one for or the other. So it's not only on/off thingie as some seem to think it is. McIntosh house sound and its bass is something different from the norm of powerful tube or solid-state amps. They define the leading edge of bass transients in sharp and especially lifelike way. The transients of bass instruments are seemingly slower but no less precise than those of upper-midrange and treble instruments, and this gives some listeners feeling of lagging behind. Psvane tubes improved this very clearly. Nice bass melodies there on Belle & Sebastianin album Write About Love albumilla or modern progressive masterpiece The Mountain by Haken.

2) Clarity of mids and highs - Smoother and more detailed presentation without the slight harshness that was present with stock tubes. Quieter background and better focus is also there.

3) Transparency - The overall performance is much more transparent and the music flows as a whole, despite you can still easily focus to individual elements if you desire.

I think for the price these Psvanes are really good and balanced tubes. Based on my earlier experiences there might be some NOS variants that do some things better but then again they're much more expensive and might lack that sweet balance that is fairly important imho. So, if you need some mid-priced tubes I can highly recommend Psvane as one potential option :)

AlfaGTV
11-02-2014, 07:53
Tuberolling huh? And some people claim the world was simpler in the old days... ;)
Bet it sounds lovely though! Whats your estimate on lifetime for a set of tubes there? And are they used as output power tubes or low power staging/buffering tubes?

ATB /Mike

Mika K
11-02-2014, 08:56
True!

Lifetime for tubes is supposed to be very high with McIntosh biasing and ventilation solutions, something like several thousand hours for the output powertubes. For the preamp side and the stage/buffer I think it's closer to ten thousand hours etc. Have some friends that have been using MC275 poweramps for years and years without any issues despite naturally at some point the performance of the tubes is not optimal anymore. Now I have the originals as spares and the costs for full set is not that bad, so.. :D

Mika K
27-02-2014, 13:06
New speaker stands for the JBLs arrived few days ago from the local carpenter.

They're everything as they're supposed be - clean, simple and sturdy design with good looks, so no complaints from my side. Have to still do some minor tunedemming for the speaker placement as the 3" change in speaker stand height compared to old wooden furniture feet seems to have small impact to balance of the sound. Perhaps some other minor changes also there..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/12813266823_74b541d6a2_c.jpg

Perhaps few words later of the update when get things properly sorted out :D

agk
27-02-2014, 13:42
Lovely setup, great pics.

Mika K
27-02-2014, 20:05
Thanks!

Mika K
05-03-2014, 20:06
Now new stands for the JBLs have been in use for over a week and the speakers have found their position, which I seem to prefer the most. At the moment my setup is sounding better than ever and overall the improvement during the last minor adjustments have been remarkable. Me so happy :D

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3762/12954241545_8dcf3db7f7_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2894/12954792125_a20ebb4040_c.jpg

Jimbo
05-03-2014, 20:17
Hi Mika,

what is you Garrard deck standing on?

cheers

Jimbo