PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon Concorde DJ S: Keep or Sell?

WOStantonCS100
31-05-2011, 18:35
I have a pair of these (just as in the pic below) that came with the last couple 1200s I got. I already have several other cartridges. I'm not positive; but, I think that these can be fitted with other (upgraded) styli in the range for a more audiophile, less "DJ" sound. Has anyone stylus swapped with a Concorde? Would an OM30 or OM40 stylus fit? Is it worth keeping these or should I just let them go? Thanks.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/or/ortofon-concorde-dj-s-pair-dj-s-pair.jpg

DSJR
31-05-2011, 19:14
Any of the OM styli will fit and I can vouch for the far more refined but hideously expensive 30 and 40 styli, which have a subtlety and supreme end-of-side clarity missing in the conical tipped "DJ" derivatives I find.

The best compromise stylus for anyone interested is the "20" one, which has much of the dearer one's refinement and low surface noise/end of side tracking.

colinB
31-05-2011, 19:30
Good stylus range but as Dave mentions the om30 is "nude" and has a habit of crackling with dusty noisy lps. The Concord looks great on a stock technics arm.

WOStantonCS100
31-05-2011, 19:50
...hideously expensive...

:lolsign:

I luv how you pull no punches, Dave. I'm learning to appreciate that a bit more everyday!! :lol:

DSJR
31-05-2011, 20:13
Apologies all, I'm a pauper and hate the way some prices have shot up in recent times for little obvious reason. For example, three or four years ago, the DL110 Denon could be bought for under £70. The £ went under by a third or so and the price inevitably rose, but DOUBLE?????

Reid Malenfant
31-05-2011, 20:26
For example, three or four years ago, the DL110 Denon could be bought for under £70. The £ went under by a third or so and the price inevitably rose, but DOUBLE?????
I guess Japan now needs to import more oil or whatever due to a being a couple of nuclear power stations down :doh:

Prices have gone crazy all over Dave, a cauliflower that was 79p is now £1.26 & half the size on average :eek:

Double the price might not be too bad at the end of the day as long as you get the same thing :eyebrows:

WOStantonCS100
31-05-2011, 21:33
Sadly, I don't think things are going to get better any time soon. "Hideous" is a good word. It just makes my attitude toward purchasing anything very crappy... so...

rainwater collecting... check
vegetable garden... check
fix me own car... check
do my own household plumbing and electric... check
saw my own wood and burn it in the winter... check
build my own electric guitars and amps... check
build my own stereo gear... check

and the wife?
sew clothes for the kiddies, knits, etc... check
bakes all the bread we eat, even makes ice cream... check

We just decided to stop the bleeding as much as possible. Lately, I've been looking into DIY solar panels!!