PDA

View Full Version : Jelco vs. SME tonearms on an SL-1200

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 18:05
Does anyone have any experience with comparing a Jelco arm vs. an SME arm?

I am wondering how the Jelco 750 compares against the SME 309 using the same tonearm cable. I am impressed with the sound of the SME 309, but I wonder if I spent too much when compared to the Jelco 750. Astheticly, I like the Jelco 750 over the SMEs any day. However, the 309s use ABEC Level 3 bearings. I do not know what type of bearings the Jelco uses. I do not believe they even use an ABEC level bearing.

In case anyone is wondering why I am restricting the comparison to the Jelco 750s vs. the SME 309 instead of a IV or V, it is because I believe the 750 and 309 may be similar in tonearm wiring (if not exact). The SME V uses Silver Plated OFC, which is adding an impurity to the cable in my eyes. (I believe the IV uses Magnepan wiring for US customers, but I have not read much about this type of wiring.) I do not believe that this mixture would perform as well as a pure OF-silver wire, or a mixture of pure OF-silver and copper wiring. (I am open to OCC copper and silver wiring in tonearms as well - OCC-Copper is the best wiring that I have ever heard.) I should add that I am impressed with the sound of the 309 arm - I use my own tonearm cable which I find more detailed compared to the stock VDH tonearm cable.

I am a firm believer that if I am going to pay that much money for an SME V, I should have pure silver wire, pure silver and copper wiring, or pure copper wiring.

I would love to hear if anyone has done any personal audio comparisons regarding a Jelco 750 and SME 309.

Mike

Audioman
30-05-2011, 18:59
I think you should stop worrying. For a start SME is a much nicer made arm than the Jelco. You will get conflicting opinions here as to which arm is better. Since I am not a Technics user I have no opinion either way except it probably depends on your prefered choice of cartridge. Build quality wise and looks it would be SME 309. You certainly have not wasted your money. If your 309 is recent it may have Abec 7 bearings as the factory tour video on Youtube suggests. SME do not appear to be happy about using the special cable the US distributor specifies for the IV. SME do an upgrade internal cable on new arms (silver plated I think) for an extra £150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tbv2WEi8ao&feature=related

Link to No 2 of 4 which discusses arm differences.

MaksK
30-05-2011, 19:00
I am a firm believer that if I am going to pay that much money for an SME V, I should have pure silver wire, pure silver and copper wiring, or pure copper wiring.

That was my thoughts too, so I went with MCS 150 pure silver upgrade offered by SME. Im covered whenever I choose to upgrade the tonearm cable to Oyaide silver one, so I will have pure silver line from cart to phono-pre input.

Regarding comparison, Im interested too. Im sure I saw someone here having silver mk5 with jelco and blue mk2 with sme v arm.

DSJR
30-05-2011, 19:58
PLEASE don't choose an arm based on the supposed hardness of the ball races, as it bears little use in a (mostly) static type bearing.

The Jelco 750 is amazing value for money and sells for well under £500 because of the lack of middle-men taking their margin out of it. SME by comparison is a luxury product and priced to match.

Why does everyone avoid the M2 series? I'm sure they're good for everything except the most fussy carts like SPU's and Denon 103's?

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 22:24
I think you should stop worrying. For a start SME is a much nicer made arm than the Jelco. You will get conflicting opinions here as to which arm is better. Since I am not a Technics user I have no opinion either way except it probably depends on your prefered choice of cartridge. Build quality wise and looks it would be SME 309. You certainly have not wasted your money. If your 309 is recent it may have Abec 7 bearings as the factory tour video on Youtube suggests. SME do not appear to be happy about using the special cable the US distributor specifies for the IV. SME do an upgrade internal cable on new arms (silver plated I think) for an extra £150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tbv2WEi8ao&feature=related

Link to No 2 of 4 which discusses arm differences.

According to the SME website - the 309 uses ABEC 3 bearings. V uses ABEC 7. I purchased my 309 last year, so I assume the bearings is ABEC 3. After making my tonearm cable, I cant really complain - it is to the level of a reference standard tonearm.

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 22:26
That was my thoughts too, so I went with MCS 150 pure silver upgrade offered by SME. Im covered whenever I choose to upgrade the tonearm cable to Oyaide silver one, so I will have pure silver line from cart to phono-pre input.

Regarding comparison, Im interested too. Im sure I saw someone here having silver mk5 with jelco and blue mk2 with sme v arm.

Is the pure silver upgrade SME offers for the tonearm wire or the tonearm cable?

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 22:30
PLEASE don't choose an arm based on the supposed hardness of the ball races, as it bears little use in a (mostly) static type bearing.

The Jelco 750 is amazing value for money and sells for well under £500 because of the lack of middle-men taking their margin out of it. SME by comparison is a luxury product and priced to match.

Why does everyone avoid the M2 series? I'm sure they're good for everything except the most fussy carts like SPU's and Denon 103's?

I was about to go for an M2-9, however, I let Dave talk me into spending the extra $$$ for the 309 which was last year at this time. I cannot complain about its performance. However, asthetically, I like the Jelco 750, and then the M2, both over the 309.

Just wondering about the performance and sound characteristics of the tonearms of the 309 vs. the 750.

DSJR
30-05-2011, 23:13
Grass is ALWAYS greener and sometimes you just have to itch that scratch (or summat) :lol:

I'd say they're both good arms, but Dave obviously makes more of a living out of the SME, which is still a beautifully manufactured and finished product. Both these arms will see you out in any case.. :)

MCRU
31-05-2011, 19:49
If its going on an SL1200/1210 I have both those arms and would say go for the Jelco and with the money you have saved buy an Oyaide mat, simples.

DSJR
31-05-2011, 20:09
and with the money you have saved buy an Oyaide mat, simples.

From yourself, of course :lol:

MCRU
31-05-2011, 20:21
Well I could have put "from me" and a link to the mat on my website but I prefer to let the customers choose for themselves and the originator of the thread may not have known I sell this exceptionally fine piece of kit that is called The Oyaide MJ-12 Turntable Mat....

DSJR
31-05-2011, 20:37
Even though it's in your bloomin' avatar :D

I'm not knockin' ya, honest.....