PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Dots on a Mike New Platter

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 17:49
Just taking a survey regarding strobe dots on the SL-1200's on Mike New's Platter.

I for one like the strobe dots on the original platter and wonder if Mike New would offer to make a platter with the strobes. I am a fan of the original platter with strobe dots on them. My favorite looking platter is the SL-1100 where the strobe dots lay flat instead of the 1200's on-edge look.

I am not saying that I am not a fan of Mike New's platter. I am a fan and buyer if he is willing to make a platter with strobe dots on them. I am already a fan and proud owner of his bearings.

After all, my initial purchase of these tables when I purchased them 25 years ago was:
1. to control speed (pitch control).
2. it is a DD TT.
3. It is the coolest looking TT out there
4. the street cred you would get if you owned them (dont live in that neighborhood anymore)

At the time of purchase 25 years ago, playback and the cool factor was most important. I also love their asthetics. Now, with the upgraded mods performed, I am re-discovering vinyl. It is a completely different TT compared to what it was when it was purchased 25 years ago. Now my TT is the best sounding component throughout the audio chain. My only complaint that I would change with the stock 1200 - the tonearm wiring and RCA interconnects (which both are no longer an issue for me).

A friend of mine is going to purchase some TT gear. I am going to try to convince him on getting a 1200, and will offer to perform the mods I suggest to elevate it to a level of performance that cannot be offered on another TT at a similar price point.

In the 25 years I have owned these beauties, I have NEVER encountered any issue with them. Chances are these TTs can go another 75 years without issue.

Plus the 1X00's MK and non-MKs are the coolest looking TTs I have seen.

So what do people think of strobe dots on Mike New's platter? I do not own one yet, but I am thinking of getting one.

DSJR
30-05-2011, 17:56
Strange this; I preferred the SL13/14 and 1500 mk2's with flat tapered sides (SP10 too) :)

The SL110 is a visual classic in my opinion and the MN 1200 doesn't yet "have it," whatever "it" is....

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 17:58
The thing is i think you'll find that you'd only be able to make them if the platter was diecast. Mikes platter looks to be machined so i'm guessing it'd be next to impossible to manufacture them ;)

colinB
30-05-2011, 18:01
You could use a silver felt tip.

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 18:13
You could use a silver felt tip.

I dont think you could achieve the same effect. Kind of like asking for a TT and getting a CD Player.

My motto - Vinyl sounds better!!!

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 18:16
If you got the spacing correct they could be painted on as Colin pointed out ;) If you look at the bottom edge of a Goldring G99 platter you'll see that for yourself..

Probably best to do them in a dark colour (maybe black) so as they show up against the silver aluminium ;) Also similar to the G99 with it's creamy white paint colouring.

colinB
30-05-2011, 18:25
I believe Vantage audio modify your existing platter making it higher mass.
Cant give you any more details because there isnt much on their site but Worrasf ( stephen ) has had it done recently.

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 18:37
The thing is i think you'll find that you'd only be able to make them if the platter was diecast. Mikes platter looks to be machined so i'm guessing it'd be next to impossible to manufacture them ;)

Would it be possible for someone to create a die-cast strobe ring that sits on top of the edge of the MN platter? Asside from cost and its existence, does anyone see an issue with such a philosiphy?

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 18:42
It would be rather expensive don't you think?

Honestly the easiest way to do it would be count the amount of dots on the relevant strobe ring & divide 360 (degrees) by the dot count so you could accurately mark them out on the side of your platter.

It's not rocket science after all. You see the strobe LED doesn't appear to flash at 50Hz but on some subdivision of the quartz crystal frequency :scratch:

You wouldn't need a diecast strobe ring. It could be made from alloy sheet & then formed into a circular band & welded up. Obviously the weld would need to be tidied up but all the strobe markings could simply be centre punched in & filled with paint.

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 18:54
I live in an area where the frequency is 60Hz. Does that change the formula?

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 18:58
No, the 1210 derives it's LED strobe light from the quartz crystal that also controls the circuitry that keeps the speed stable. The mains, be it 50 or 60Hz, 120 or 240V is put through a transformer & rectified to DC to power this stuff.

Mains frequency has nothing to do with it ;)

chris@panteg
30-05-2011, 20:28
Cant give you any more details because there isnt much on their site but Worrasf ( stephen ) has had it done recently.

I'm having one done soon as well , not too many details as yet but it is a copper plate bonded to the platter and I'm told you don't have to use a mat with it, its an option though .

Tarzan
30-05-2011, 21:05
I'm having one done soon as well , not too many details as yet but it is a copper plate bonded to the platter and I'm told you don't have to use a mat with it, its an option though .

Oh, do keep us posted Chris, this sounds interesting- with piccys;):)

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 21:16

I would be interested on hearing your results as well.

Stratmangler
30-05-2011, 21:27
I would be interested on hearing your results as well.

Ditto :)

MartinT
30-05-2011, 21:48
I for one like the strobe dots on the original platter and wonder if Mike New would offer to make a platter with the strobes

Just want to ask a question that no-one else seems to have asked yet. Why?

Stratmangler
30-05-2011, 21:52

Look at the OP :)

chris@panteg
30-05-2011, 22:13
I like the dots and the strobe , i want to keep that 1970's look :)

The acrylic platter could be very good indeed but at £500+ i just think this considerably cheaper Vantage option appeals to me and if its as good as the bearing mod i will be very content .

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 22:18

I tend to do that from time to time.

MartinT
30-05-2011, 22:42
Ok, so it's just for cosmetic reasons?

CableMaker1
30-05-2011, 22:50
Ok, so it's just for cosmetic reasons?

For cosmetic and functional reasons. The strobe is a function to the turntable when used with the pitch, and it is a hallmark tradition of the Technics TTs.

I dont know if I am a minority, but I do love the strobe.

JohnM
30-05-2011, 23:12
For cosmetic and functional reasons. The strobe is a function to the turntable when used with the pitch, and it is a hallmark tradition of the Technics TTs.

I dont know if I am a minority, but I do love the strobe.

For what it's worth, I love a good strobe too - if I had an upgraded Techy I'd want to retain that function. Good way to check quickly if all's running accurately as far as speed is concerned. Plus I think it looks very cool :cool:

Pete
31-05-2011, 04:06
just put your Technics platter upside-down on the MN platter and you can see if your speed is correct...

Slippershod
31-05-2011, 09:23
Strange this; I preferred the SL13/14 and 1500 mk2's with flat tapered sides (SP10 too) :)

The SL110 is a visual classic in my opinion and the MN 1200 doesn't yet "have it," whatever "it" is....

yep, same for me. Funny how we are so 'cheese or chocolate' about some things :scratch:.