PDA

View Full Version : FS: Harbeth SHL5's Loudspeakers + Something Solid XF Stands

The Black Adder
30-05-2011, 07:38
Hello.

Due to new family and downsizing my system.

I simply don't use the speakers enough to justify them sitting here.

They are only 4 months old and come with the Harbeth full warranty and they have not been registered with Harbeth as yet.

They were bought from Radlett Audio in January. I bought them from a guy who had them for a week or so but his amplifier was'nt not up to the job to give them life so I bought them to use on my Radford system. I also did a review of this combination.

A week or so later we had twins so everything grinded to a halt in terms to listening to long hifi sessions.

Kids ey! :)

So, like my Radford which is now sold these have to go as I've bought an integrated and need something cheaper and more sensitive.

Boxed and in mint condition.

These speakers are amazing. Infact, when I do get 5 minutes to take a listen I simply change my mind in selling them... They are that good.

They also come with the Something Solid XF stands.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Harbeth2/DSC04845.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Harbeth2/DSC04844.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Harbeth2/DSC04846.jpg

Here they are on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Harbeth-Super-HL5-loudspeakers-Stands-4-months-old-/120729224563?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c1c05c573 (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=harbeth&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

I'm asking £2300 but will do any AOS user a small discount.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Regards
Joe

Wakefield Turntables
30-05-2011, 08:23
Joe,

If I didnt have my ATC's I would have had these. I still haven't forgot to send you some pics of your Radford stuff I'm just waiting for the right pair of OTA modified ESL'57s to pop up. Your Radford gear now sits pride of place near my solid state stuff and I'm even thinking now of getting a valve phono stage. Thanks mate, my bank balance will be even more depleted :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Black Adder
30-05-2011, 08:47
Cheers Andy.

Yeah, these are superb with valve and Transistor. Like the Radford with only 35wpc they really do come alive.

They are one of the best set of speakers I've ever owned and this is a very reluctant sale as they do sound absolutely superb with the OTO (15wpc) but with other things in the pipeline and the lack of use I can only come to the conclusion to sell and let someone else have the full benefit.

I'm sure Dave at Radlett will vouch for these speakers too as being absolutly superb!

Cheers
Joe

DSJR
30-05-2011, 11:37
What a shame.. I'd get HLP3ESR's myself, even if they had to go on shelves for now.

These HLS5's are superb and I hope someone will give them the lasting, loving home they truly deserve - I do know how destructive toddlers can be ;)

During our recent visit to hifi dave's place, Alex and I had the pleasure of Rega RS5's (SR5's?). these are under a grand and, apart from a little excess sparkle in the treble (needed for their pickup cartridges IMO), the bass and midrange was a joy. Not as refined as Harbeths achieve, but involving, very clear and well balanced, to the extent that one could forget the speakers entirely after a few seconds to acclimatise to them.

Rare Bird
30-05-2011, 11:53
Dave: i'll buy you a pair of Harbeth 'M40' if i come into some money for being a good egg.

DSJR
30-05-2011, 13:43
Oh you lovely man - I'll reciprocate should I do the same :)

The only valve amps I wouldn't use are the floppy bassed Prima Luna ones and similar ;) Otherwise, all modern Harbeths are a pretty easy load and sound totally unfettered with the Croft integrated on the one hand, and super controlled with the new Albarry's on the other. I found the best compromise for me was the Albarry mono's with a Croft "R" preamp - I could listen to that all day :)

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 14:34
NOOOOOOO don't do it Joe! You'll regret it!

Well, if you must, then someone please take these off Joe's hands, and as Tim (GreatGig) will attest, these could well be "final destination" speakers. I haven't got the money, but if I had... (Joe, you don't want another daughter, do you? :lol:)

The Black Adder
30-05-2011, 15:07
NOOOOOOO don't do it Joe! You'll regret it!

Well, if you must, then someone please take these off Joe's hands, and as Tim (GreatGig) will attest, these could well be "final destination" speakers. I haven't got the money, but if I had... (Joe, you don't want another daughter, do you? :lol:)

Haha... no mate. I've got two and one has reflux... OUCH! If anyone has some new ears then I'll take em...either that or some supadoopa headache tablets...

I know mate, I will regret this move... I've got a feelin in me bones but needs n that you know.

The Audio Note OTO sounds bloody lovely through them too.

AlanB
30-05-2011, 16:16

The only valve amps I wouldn't use are the floppy bassed Prima Luna ones and similar ;) Otherwise, all modern Harbeths are a pretty easy load and sound totally unfettered with the Croft integrated on the one hand, and super controlled with the new Albarry's on the other. I found the best compromise for me was the Albarry mono's with a Croft "R" preamp - I could listen to that all day :)

Ooohhh my 7's don't sound floppy bassed with my 7's but then again the 5's have a much more generous bottom end.

DSJR
30-05-2011, 17:44
Hehe, it was an unsubtle backhander to someone who didn't look at the obvious culprit - I've done it myself so it takes one to know one :lol:

All's well that'll hopefully end well though :peace:

SteveW
30-05-2011, 18:23
My wife is always on about moving...I think I would, if only to accomodate these speakers.
In the meantime, I'm loving my P3ESR's.. don't want to think how these must sound.

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 18:33
My wife is always on about moving...I think I would, if only to accomodate these speakers.
In the meantime, I'm loving my P3ESR's.. don't want to think how these must sound.

Pretty much the same "house" sound, but as you'd expect, a bit bigger and deeper and maybe a touch more refined, from my experience over at hifi_dave's (Radlett Audio) last month. The P3ESR's are also great speakers, but the SHL5's take the sound up a couple of notches, as you'd expect. :)

The Black Adder
30-05-2011, 18:40
I agree Alex.. Bigger, deeper sound stage. Much more solid focus on individual instruments too. Or as you said, more refined.

Again.. Why am I selling these?... Someone slap me.

Tim
30-05-2011, 18:43
I'm arranging a civil partnership with my SHL5's soon :)

:cool:

(and it's the only time I have experienced a night & day improvement in my sound, as Alex has said, they are a 'final destination' for me :))

DSJR
30-05-2011, 20:01
Thank gawd my BC2's are sounding as good as they are right now. Definitely a family resemblance, if not the integration and refinement of current models.

The Black Adder
01-06-2011, 09:41
Open to sensible offers!

The Black Adder
01-06-2011, 12:59
Cheers Dave.. Lots of interest but nobody has shown me a fat lady with sold written on her forehead as yet. :)

The Black Adder
03-06-2011, 16:00
open to sensible offers

The Black Adder
03-06-2011, 21:00
Now £1999 + Delivery

kt66
05-06-2011, 08:47

The only valve amps I wouldn't use are the floppy bassed Prima Luna ones and similar ;))

really ? contradicts everything I've ever heard or tried, my PL2 drives 30s and 40s beautifully

DSJR
05-06-2011, 10:29
30's don't have any deep (subjective) bass in comparison with HLS5's in direct comparison and the 40 is a different kettle of fish enirely - yummmmmmm :lol:

Like I said, it was a tongue-in-cheek remark concerning this particular pair of speakers ;)

Loads of clients use harbeths with valve gear with good results. Positioning and room acoustics is far more important IMO :lolsign:

Tim
05-06-2011, 12:16
Loads of clients use harbeths with valve gear with good results. Positioning and room acoustics is far more important IMO :lolsign:
Definitely agree with that, having moved my lounge around twice now to accommodate my SHL5's. Just moving them a few inches in relation to walls and furnishings makes quite a difference. It's taken awhile, but I'm really happy with them now - the bass is beautiful for my tastes :)

I reckon I wouldn't need much to power them either at my listening levels, they are sweet sounding with only a few watts. Without doubt a true British classic and on a personal level, the best speakers I have heard.

The Black Adder
06-06-2011, 11:10
sold