PDA

View Full Version : Stefaan's system

Stefaan
28-05-2011, 17:45
Here are some pictures of my new set-up. First, an overall view of the re-vamped lounge:
http://www.ecc.lu/images/lounge.jpg

In the foreground, my Roland RG-1. We used Ikea office furniture to build the equipment cupboard and TV stand. http://www.ecc.lu/images/overall.jpg

By putting the turntable in the cupboard I could get rid of the dustcover.http://www.ecc.lu/images/dual.jpg

Below the turntable are my vintage Technics CD player, a multi-zone DVD player and a VCR. We used the kit Ikea sells to drill cable holes in desks to drill holes in the backs of the cupboards to feed cables through. http://www.ecc.lu/images/technics.jpg

Then follow the Blu-ray player and the Yamaha RX-V667 A/V receiver. I like the fact it has a phono input and a "pure direct" switch to remove as much of the circuitry from the signal path as possible. http://www.ecc.lu/images/yamaha.jpg

The bottom cupboards are used to store my vinyls. The Primus 360 looks nice without the grille, but the drivers seem to attract kiddy-fingers, so I keep then covered. http://www.ecc.lu/images/primus360.jpg

I used my old Reference 1i speakers for the back channels. Even though they're about 14 years old, the foam seems to be in excellent condition.http://www.ecc.lu/images/r1i.jpg

In addition to the OM-20, I have an OM-10 (the cartridge that came with the Dual), a Shure M91ED and a Philips GP401-II.http://www.ecc.lu/images/om20.jpg

Werner Berghofer
28-05-2011, 17:53
A wonderful room with really fine stereo equipment! I’m sure you enjoy staying in this room, listening or playing music.

Many thanks for sharing, Stefaan.

Stefaan
28-05-2011, 18:02
A wonderful room with really fine stereo equipment! I’m sure you enjoy staying in this room, listening or playing music.

Many thanks for sharing, Stefaan.
You're very welcome, Werner. We (my wife and I) did everything ourselves (including the wooden ceiling, lighting, painting and curtains), so I'm rather proud to be able to show the result, especially when I'm getting such apreciative comments.

Thanks!

Slippershod
28-05-2011, 18:05
lovely listening room, Stefaan.

I notice you have the lenco wet-play thing for your record-deck?
I have one but found no improvement from using it - do you find otherwise?

Werner Berghofer
28-05-2011, 18:17
Marc,

I notice you have the lenco wet-play thing for your record-deck? I have one but found no improvement from using it - do you find otherwise?

long time ago in my personal analogue era I too used Lencoclean. It helped to improve the sound and to extend the lifespan of records and the stylus, and there were no crackles and pops to be heard. Only problem: the records became addicted to the rather expensive fluid. Once a record had been played “wet”, there was no simple way of going back to “dry” playback.

Stefaan
28-05-2011, 18:18
lovely listening room, Stefaan.

I notice you have the lenco wet-play thing for your record-deck?
I have one but found no improvement from using it - do you find otherwise?
I've been using it for almost 40 years now. I don't know if it improves the sound quality, but it removes crackles and pops from older or dusty records. I believe it reduces record and stylus wear by lowering the temperature and provding lubrication, but I've never done any tests. My records are in fine condition, and maybe the Lencoclean has something to do with that.

Stefaan
28-05-2011, 18:43
long time ago in my personal analogue aera I too used Lencoclean. It helped to improve the sound and to extend the lifespan of records, and there was no crackle no be heard. Only problem: the records became addicted to the fluid. Once a record had been played “wet”, there was no simple way of going back to “dry” playback.
The old (original) Lencoclean fluid did indeed create an addiction, but I've noticed that the latest rather grandly named "Super Sound Lotion" from Wittner does a much better job, and records can be played dry without problems, even those previously played with Lencoclean.

MartinT
28-05-2011, 18:47
That's a rather fine room you have there, Stefaan, and very nicely lit. Are the speakers a little too close together? How does it all sound?

Stefaan
28-05-2011, 18:56
That's a rather fine room you have there, Stefaan, and very nicely lit. Are the speakers a little too close together? How does it all sound?I replaced the built-in halogens (50W each) with 9W CFLs, and added a larger Philips fluorescent lamp using a remotely controlled relay. When all the lights are on, we're down to 140W from 400W. The fittings will also take LED lamps.

The speakers are indeed a bit close together (1.8m), but that was the best I could do with the room. I have noticed that the soundstage of the Primus 360 extends beyond the speakers, quite amazing, but a very pleasant surprise. The bass response is also quite good, and not boomy at all. These speakers do live up to the rather nice reviews I read (the one in Stereophile is especially flattering).

Slippershod
29-05-2011, 17:31
I've been using it for almost 40 years now. I don't know if it improves the sound quality, but it removes crackles and pops from older or dusty records. I believe it reduces record and stylus wear by lowering the temperature and provding lubrication, but I've never done any tests. My records are in fine condition, and maybe the Lencoclean has something to do with that.

well, by gum ... :scratch: given your and Werner's testimonies what the heck am I doing wrong - doesn't seem to make any difference at all for me .... :steam:

Rare Bird
29-05-2011, 18:49
Has anyone notice a lot of members on here live in the real world ie: no idiot price tag audio. Good on you lot i say.You'll not catch me buying flashy clobber ever again..Nice steffan

Werner Berghofer
29-05-2011, 19:04
Has anyone notice a lot of members on here live in the real world ie: no idiot price tag audio

Yes, I noticed this too, especially when browsing the “Gallery” section of this forum. Well, I only can talk for myself: if I could afford the really expensive, top-notch gear and if I could hear a difference, I sincerely would buy the high-end stuff. But since the days of my youth it has been the love for music which got me in touch with better equipment, and if my budget is limited I prefer to buy CDs (even if they end up collecting dust in my drawers after they have been transferred to my computer’s harddisk).

Even as a boy I was not excessively interested in electric model trains: The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys :-)

Tim
29-05-2011, 20:35
Has anyone notice a lot of members on here live in the real world ie: no idiot price tag audio. Good on you lot i say.You'll not catch me buying flashy clobber ever again..Nice steffan
If I had more money to spend, I would just buy more music and go to more gigs, mind you that would be tough with only 52 weeks in a year :eyebrows:

I'm very happy at the moment with my recent speaker upgrade, which to be honest may be the last one I make, unless something breaks down :)

s70rmp
31-05-2011, 17:40
sweet room,but you need a much bigger TV

looks like a very cool room to relax in.

Stefaan
31-05-2011, 20:48
sweet room,but you need a much bigger TV

looks like a very cool room to relax in.
I know I need a bigger TV - but for the moment there's no budget :(. Anyway, getting the floorstanders was the priority; TVs are getting cheaper every day.

We're very pleased with the room. It was quite a bit of work, but worth it.

Thanks!

Tim
31-05-2011, 21:16
Nah, listen to music Stefaan, stuff the TV ;)

You have a great room, relax and let the tunes flow...........

macvisual
01-06-2011, 07:20
Lovely looking hi-fi and room!

Can I ask which regarding the Dual 505 tt which model it is please? (505/2 - 505/3 - 505/4 etc)

Stefaan
02-06-2011, 09:13
Lovely looking hi-fi and room!Thanks for the kind words!

Can I ask which regarding the Dual 505 tt which model it is please? (505/2 - 505/3 - 505/4 etc)It's a CS505-4, produced by Alfred Fehrenbacher GmbH in Sankt Georgen.