PDA

View Full Version : The TS Evo 1200/10 has been reviewed

JazzBones
26-05-2011, 16:28
At long last HFW have come good and on P101, HFW, July'11 issue recieved today, Rafael Todes has put the deck through its paces and the revue is favourable :) I was surprised to see that the acrylic platter was not part of the package, why? The TT under review has the TS HE PSU (I use this one), TS uprated bearing ;) and short unattractive sorbothane tower feet at each corner plus the addition of an Oyadie platter + weight, SME 3 and AT33 and thats it for now folks! Can this combo be bettered, erm yes I think so but I will leave it to others to say why. I know the Diva from Dartmouth will most probably zone in on this post of mine so howdy DaveO :eyebrows: well done old scone.

Whats the verdict on the review?

I'm waiting with beating heart,

Ron :)

MCRU
26-05-2011, 17:50
Don't forget they take months to review things so Dave set it in ages ago. It was bound to get a good review, and Dave will sell loads of them, we know our Techie's are better but can only tell people via forums as I cannot afford £300 a month to advertise in Hi Fi World.

It's obvious to us all that other combinations would sound better but it's also the partnering equipment that has to be taken into consideration.

The Oyaide mat rules yet again!

fiddlemaker
26-05-2011, 18:04
never knew rafael todes was a hifi reviewer. surprisingly unusual for a classical musician to be into audio.

JazzBones
26-05-2011, 18:39
never knew rafael todes was a hifi reviewer. surprisingly unusual for a classical musician to be into audio.

Actually, he's quite good bringing fresh classical trained ears to the appraisal team. Also he listens to Jazz as the other viewers seem to be locked into a pop and rock diet for assessment with an occasional nod to wards the former. As to being really, really good at the job only time will tell;)

Ron

JazzBones
26-05-2011, 18:52
Don't forget they take months to review things so Dave set it in ages ago. It was bound to get a good review, and Dave will sell loads of them, we know our Techie's are better but can only tell people via forums as I cannot afford £300 a month to advertise in Hi Fi World.

It's obvious to us all that other combinations would sound better but it's also the partnering equipment that has to be taken into consideration.

Yeah Dave, having worked for IPC Publishers along time ago I know what a mine field advance notice of a possible review can be but HFW have been saying that they 'Hope to bring you next month' a review of what I understood to be the Timestep 1200. Noted that the Origin Alive tweaked version was in April '11, which incidentaly Rafeal did do a comparison to, all be it very briefly. I must say the present review does leave me wanting more.
I agree that any TT is dependent on the rest of the system in total.

Advertising is expensive, but the best ads are from highly satisified customers but this is a slow process, so keep your customers satisfied and business will increase as the word spreads:)

Ron

colinB
27-05-2011, 13:02
Is the mag in shops today or is it early delivery subscription?

prestonchipfryer
27-05-2011, 13:44
It's in W. H. Smith here in sunny Weymouth. :)

JazzBones
27-05-2011, 14:03
Is the mag in shops today or is it early delivery subscription?

I get my copy on subscription approx two to three days before its on the rack at W H Smiths. I've also started to get HFN on subs which normally arrives a couple of days before HFW. If you read these mags on a regular monthly basis then I'd go for the subscription route as its slightly cheaper, comes straight to you and if you judge the month right the mags give you a little prezzy as an inducement to take up a sub.... unfortunately I've always missed out on these :(:doh: As for the other mags I don't bother although if there is something of real interest to me I'd buy such as HI Fi Choice. Back in the mid 1970s I would buy any mag that had Hi Fi on the cover but that was in my hormoneal sad bastard days :rolleyes::o.

Ron

Wakefield Turntables
27-05-2011, 16:15
Good old DC seems to be basking in his own glory with regards to the latest review in HiFi world. The review is favourable but the cost of the machine is not. How the hell does he charge £3600:scratch: This cost will probably go even higher with his new platter. My system which has considerably more mods that you can through a stick at still cost under £3K to put together and that with a SME V, audio origami re-fettle, every Mike New tweak, feet etc etc.

Stratmangler
27-05-2011, 16:22
Good old DC seems to be basking in his own glory with regards to the latest review in HiFi world. The review is favourable but the cost of the machine is not. How the hell does he charge £3600:scratch: This cost will probably go even higher with his new platter. My system which has considerably more mods that you can through a stick at still cost under £3K to put together and that with a SME V, audio origami re-fettle, every Mike New tweak, feet etc etc.

Looks like he's charging £800 for a SL-1210 http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/evo.html :rolleyes:

WOStantonCS100
27-05-2011, 16:50
Good old DC seems to be basking in his own glory...

Did we expect any less? :rolleyes:

Wakefield Turntables
27-05-2011, 18:21
Looks like he's charging £800 for a SL-1210 http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/evo.html :rolleyes:

WTF!! You can get a half decent example that will scrub up pretty good for under £300 on eBay, mine cost £95, but £800!!! :scratch:

mike1210
27-05-2011, 20:07
I believe £800 is deducted from the TS evo if you supply your own deck however for a new one

http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/index.htm bottom of page

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If not we offer new ones at £1,200.00 (black) but we can only supply these if fitted with a SME 309, Funk FXR or better arm, and a HE PSU

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:eek:

MCRU
27-05-2011, 20:26
Send you un-touched 1200/1210 to me and I will release it from it's chains, newly developed PSU complete with kimber cabling and other secret modifications, Isonoe feet, up-graded bearing, oyaide mat and weight, oyaide tone-arm cable, Jelco 750 arm with oyaide headshell and Denon 103 cartridge, what more needs to be said?

If you want to listen to one before going ahead please call to arrange a demo in my listening room.

Bargain at £1750 inc. 50 free record sleeves, form an orderly queue.

Free Furutech record brush for the first 5 customers. :)

Audioman
27-05-2011, 21:23

I looked at the Sound Hi-Fi site recently and noticed Mr Cawleys new enhanced rip off business model. It's just not the Technics mods though. AT prices are up and he quotes SME prices ex vat to make them look cheaper. Everything he sells can be purchased elsewhere for less or alternative better products are available. It annoys me that he tries to make a Funk Firm product appear to be something of his own. I also note that he quickly palmed World Audio on to a new owner.

I am a big fan of HFW and have admired David Price's approach. However he has developed to close a relationship with DC and possibly a few other companies which means everything from certain sources gets reviewed while other notable products are sometimes neglected. However I am not willing to go along with the £300 advert buys a review theory as hinted at by MainsCablesRUs. I am sure if a worthwhile variant on the Technics mods or anything else is put forward to DP it would get a fair consideration for inclusion. Lets face it HFW has built it's following on reviewing the different and DIY sector of the Hi-Fi market.

MCRU
27-05-2011, 21:27

Above comment regarding an advertisement refers to me advertitsing my wares in HFW and does not in any way make reference to anyone obtaining a review because they advertise.

Audioman
27-05-2011, 21:51
Above comment regarding an advertisement refers to me advertitsing my wares in HFW and does not in any way make reference to anyone obtaining a review because they advertise.

Appologies for misunderstanding. It is just so often that people associate the abilty to advertise in certain publications with same products getting a write up. I wrongly jumped to that conclusion. How big an ad do you get for £300? If it were a quarter page I would have thought might make sense in getting your business better known.

Marco
27-05-2011, 22:14
Hi Paul,

I looked at the Sound Hi-Fi site recently and noticed Mr Cawleys new enhanced rip off business model. It's just not the Technics mods though. AT prices are up and he quotes SME prices ex vat to make them look cheaper. Everything he sells can be purchased elsewhere for less or alternative better products are available. It annoys me that he tries to make a Funk Firm product appear to be something of his own. I also note that he quickly palmed World Audio on to a new owner.

I am a big fan of HFW and have admired David Price's approach. However he has developed to close a relationship with DC and possibly a few other companies which means everything from certain sources gets reviewed while other notable products are sometimes neglected.

Excellent post, which shares some of my own feelings. I will comment on this and the other posts here later :)

Incidentally, I've always said that the Evo would get a good review in HFW (or in any other audio magazine), as no doubt it sounds excellent.

But as we know, there are other (arguably better) ways of modifying an SL-1200... At the end of the day it's all about choice, although Dave C would like folks to believe his is the only one 'true path' ;)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
28-05-2011, 17:12
This is an interesting thread but at the end of the day, its the music that matters. Its just nice to know that the mods we make DO work and its not simply the fact we have spent several thousand quid upgrading our decks that makes our ears think we have a several thousand quid deck. ;) However, the 1210 is a very very easy deck to modify and anyone with a set of screwdrivers, a little experience with a soldering iron can make a 1210 a world class deck! I might even make my own version of the 1210 and start selling it for £10K+, who knows!!??!!:lol: