PDA

View Full Version : 2k budget. What would you do?

fiddlemaker
25-05-2011, 20:30
I have 2k to spend on what I intend to be a once and for all upgrade to my vinyl based system, to last until my hearing conks out.

At present:

Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE/Audiomods non-micrometer arm/Rondo Red
Croft Micro A
Exposure 2010 (x2)
Monitor Audio RS6.

Having been indoctrinated in the 80s, my gut instinct is to spend most of the budget on the source, and I want to stay with NAS. Tempted by a used Hyperspace at ~£1200.
Then maybe send the micro back to GC for an update/upgrade, or replace with new micro 25.
Tempted to stick with the power amps and the speakers.

Do you chaps think I'm heading along the right lines, or would you suggest a different route to long-term satisfaction?
Cheers!

MCRU
25-05-2011, 20:37
Put a better arm on your TT, buy an Oyaide mat and weight as it works well on your TT, get some decent power cords and you are sorted, just my 2 penneth worth.

Assuming you do not have good power cords and a mat of course?

The amp and speakers I would say are good.

hifi_dave
25-05-2011, 20:47
Without doubt, turntable first. Put your arm on a Notts turntable further up the range.

I guess the Hyper Space at £1200 is the previous version, not the latest ? If that is the case, I would recommend the current model or an Ace Space Deck.

John
25-05-2011, 20:49
Trans fi Salvation

flapland
25-05-2011, 20:56
Different speakers, the arm is excellent although the Trans fi I suspect would be a improvement. With your budget you might be able to upgrade both if you go down the used route for speakers.

WOStantonCS100
25-05-2011, 21:02
I have 2k to spend on what I intend to be a once and for all upgrade to my vinyl based system, to last until my hearing conks out.

At present:

Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE/Audiomods non-micrometer arm/Rondo Red
Croft Micro A
Exposure 2010 (x2)
Monitor Audio RS6.

Having been indoctrinated in the 80s, my gut instinct is to spend most of the budget on the source, and I want to stay with NAS. Tempted by a used Hyperspace at ~£1200.
Then maybe send the micro back to GC for an update/upgrade, or replace with new micro 25.
Tempted to stick with the power amps and the speakers.

Do you chaps think I'm heading along the right lines, or would you suggest a different route to long-term satisfaction?
Cheers!

What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade? Is there something about the Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE/Audiomods non-micrometer arm/Rondo Red combination that is problematic or is it just the itch to upgrade?

The Grand Wazoo
26-05-2011, 00:09
£1k on hi-fi & the rest on records.

fiddlemaker
26-05-2011, 08:31
£1k on hi-fi & the rest on records.

Valid suggestion. How would you spend the 1k?

Stratmangler
26-05-2011, 21:51
Arrange to visit Colin (Toppsy) and have him build you some speakers.
His latest offerings sound excellent, and the thread is here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11316

The Vinyl Adventure
26-05-2011, 23:05
Id go for the change of speakers ...

Rare Bird
26-05-2011, 23:18
£2K!..Well i would be a total idiot spending it on Hi-Fi..too many people are that obsessed they totally forget about what a stereo is for..£500 tarting what i have (if that) the rest on music. tbh i wouldnt even do £500 as i value paying my bills & putting food on the table first. I would feel as guilty as hell spending that much on a stereo.

fiddlemaker
27-05-2011, 00:26
£2K!..Well i would be a total idiot spending it on Hi-Fi..too many people are that obsessed they totally forget about what a stereo is for..£500 tarting what i have (if that) the rest on music. tbh i wouldnt even do £500 as i value paying my bills & putting food on the table first. I would feel as guilty as hell spending that much on a stereo.

You're dead great, you.

HighFidelityGuy
27-05-2011, 01:53
The RS6 is a decent speaker but I don't think it's in the same league as your other gear, so I'd replace them first. As previously mentioned, there are a couple of people round here that build very nice speakers, so that would be a good option. I'm guessing the Croft box is a preamp and the Exposures are power amps? I don't know much about Exposure gear but the new Croft range is very well respected, so maybe a new 7 series preamp? Mark Grant sells very nice cables at decent prices if you need cables. Vinyl isn't my forte, so I can't comment on that aspect. :)

goraman
27-05-2011, 02:40
Your phono stage clearly.

Mark Grant
27-05-2011, 09:27
I would look at your room to see if anything can be improved cheaply to improve acoustics, then clean all connections with IPA or Caig deoxit or progold, have a listen, then look at speaker positioning and see if that helps.

If you are going to spend I would look at some fantastic speakers that would work well in your room with your Amplifiers and see how you get on.

There has never been better time to get good deals on high quality speakers, or have some made.

fiddlemaker
27-05-2011, 12:31
I would look at your room to see if anything can be improved cheaply to improve acoustics, then clean all connections with IPA or Caig deoxit or progold, have a listen, then look at speaker positioning and see if that helps.

If you are going to spend I would look at some fantastic speakers that would work well in your room with your Amplifiers and see how you get on.

There has never been better time to get good deals on high quality speakers, or have some made.

Where would you recommend looking for good speaker deals?

Macca
27-05-2011, 12:31
I think I'd also change the speakers as being the biggest bang for your buck rathehr than get a subtle TT improvement plus I'm not that keen on Monitor Audio (not heard the RS6 though).

With a two grand budget I'd take my time and explore ALL the various 'speaker possibilities before I made a decision as there are an awful lot of options.

Just my 0.02c:)