PDA

View Full Version : Quad Service

Tea24
24-05-2011, 08:34
Reading Rexton's thread re the servicing of Quad ESLs made me think. How is their service these days re older amps, pre-amps, CD players etc.? is it better to use them (they were very good in the past) or do to one of the upgrade/service places in Holland (or is it Belgium) the UK or Germany?

Pete The Cat
24-05-2011, 19:29
Quad's service and parts function has a good reputation.

I had cause to contact them a couple of years ago and this guy was very helpful ;

Rob Flain

rob@iaguk.co.uk

Pete

spendorman
24-05-2011, 20:36
The guy that service the older amps/ tuners has been there for decades.

Tea24
25-05-2011, 09:52
I hope he's fit & well Spendorman! Seems to me better get those amps in soon!!

spendorman
25-05-2011, 09:57
I hope he's fit & well Spendorman! Seems to me better get those amps in soon!!

I don't know him personally, but a friend does. I believe that he is fit and well, and probably about my age!

Krisbee
25-05-2011, 11:54
When I got hold of a s/hand Quad 306 over a year ago I made some enquiries about getting it serviced by Quad. There can't be many compaines where you can just ring up and get to speak to a service techinician directly.

I was trying to get some idea of what they would actually do my Quad 306, this was before I found a copy of the relevant Quad service manual.

After talking to the service technician it was clear that:

The only thing they automatically change on a 306 power amp is the old style loudspeaker sockets for new modern binding posts ( as used on Quad 606 onward )

Quad don't change power caps just because they are old, they have to be out of spec ( leaky etc). They will fit new power caps if you specifically request it, but they stick to the same original 4700uF value.

Damping sheets were fitted to to the Quad 306 case. (One of mine had come loose) Not for any SQ reason but simpler so the case doesn't sound like a tin can if knocked.

No mods are made beyond original design. Sceptical about the audible benefits of 3rd party mods.

Quad 306s are infrequently in for service as are they are very reliable. If it starts tripping, then you'll know you have a problem.

So if you think your gear would benefit from higher value power caps, or other circuit mods , then Quad is not the place to have it service. It is DIY or means finding someone to do something like the Dada Electronics upgrades (Belguim based ) after buying the relevant kits, or using Fidele Audio in UK.

Otherwise, if you just want your gear to be brought up to original spec then I'd say stick with Quad.

Last time I checked the serivce charge was £48 plus parts, plus £15 for return carriage per item.

spendorman
25-05-2011, 11:57
I think I remember that some years ago, Quad stated that they would not service modified equipment.

Krisbee
25-05-2011, 14:20
I think I remember that some years ago, Quad stated that they would not service modified equipment.

A good point.

spendorman
25-05-2011, 17:46
There's a few reasons i perform my own amplifier servicing.One being your time is free, a service engineer's isnt.. no courior fees getting it there & back, these two aspects alone your looking at a ton before anything even gets done..The parts the engineer will fit will no doubt be standard production parts, yours can be special. All this of course if you are capable.

Also the chance of getting the amp damaged in transit.

DSJR
25-05-2011, 17:59
Quad do repairs, not updates per se. A good thing perhaps, but not in the long run if my old II's were anything to go by :(

Tea24
26-05-2011, 08:13
Yes I think Quad advertise(d) that for your £48 plus parts plus carriage they would return your item as near pssible to 'ex-factory' condition. Certainly their service was very good when I last used them some 4/5 years ago.

Next question; if you go the Dad/Fidele route presumably the 'Quad sound' will change? Personally I like the rather laid back effortless sound; I can listen all night!:cool: