PDA

View Full Version : Rega Saturn as possible upgrade ?

Havana
23-05-2011, 18:19
Hi - I am new here and would really appreciate your advice. My current system is the Rotel RA1520 amp, the Audiolab 8200CD player and KEF Q500 speakers. In general, I am very pleased with the set-up which has a clear, punchy sound, However, I have found that on well recorded CDs it sounds great, but on not so well recorded CDs, especially louder rock, it can sound harsh and strident and really highlights poor cds. The Who, for example always sound pretty dreadful. The filters on the Audiolab don't seem to help much.

I am now in a position to upgrade and am considering the Rega Saturn which sounds warmer in the demos I have been able to do so far and more forgiving. Would this seem a sensible upgrade path to address the issues I have mentioned ?

StanleyB
23-05-2011, 19:14
The Who, for example always sound pretty dreadful.
Nothing wrong with your system :).

By the way, best observe the arrival rules and check in properly before the forum police locks your thread until you do ;).

Alex_UK
24-05-2011, 20:55
Hi Dave,

I think what you are hearing is a side-effect of getting a decent hi-fi, I'm afraid... Maybe name a few of the recordings that sound bad, and if we've got them then a few of use can let you have our thoughts. I certainly went through this a while back though, when I got a "decent" pair of speakers which really highlighted bad recordings.

That said, the Rega Saturn is a superb sounding player - but then again so is the 8200 (although I have only heard the latter briefly.) You shouldn't have too much problem auditioning a Saturn - take along a few of the "bad" CDs and see what diffrerences you hear. :)