PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL 1210 MK2

User Name
21-05-2011, 17:15
Hi everyone!
Sorry for maybe stupid question :) But how good are thees Technics TT's?
I just have one second hand available for about 300 pounds and was thinking about another TT anyway, mine old soviet player is slowly dying. Was thinking to get Pro-Ject Debut or Classic low-end TT.
And what I should really look for if I'm getting second hand Technics 1200 player.

Many thanks

sparrow
21-05-2011, 19:10
Can't fault the Technics..

DSJR
21-05-2011, 21:14
Techies are pretty tough and should take a fair amount of abuse. Main bearings are cheap as standard and better toleranced alternatives are available (look at the mega threads on here about this). The arms could be damaged by careless use but spares are easy to find and upgrades can also be done to wiring, tube damping etc.

I still think that with a fairly limited budget, Rega's (RP1) are extremely hard to beat, but as you have a Technics already, you can start to look at the myriad upgrades you can do, starting with feet, mat and headshell :)

User Name
23-05-2011, 22:09
Techies are pretty tough and should take a fair amount of abuse. Main bearings are cheap as standard and better toleranced alternatives are available (look at the mega threads on here about this). The arms could be damaged by careless use but spares are easy to find and upgrades can also be done to wiring, tube damping etc.

I still think that with a fairly limited budget, Rega's (RP1) are extremely hard to beat, but as you have a Technics already, you can start to look at the myriad upgrades you can do, starting with feet, mat and headshell :)

I still have some old soviet player which is not the best, but with grado blue cartridge and Pro-ject phono box II still works. I would like to upgrade my player as well... I guess I'll have to visit local dealers and see what they have to offer. Many thanks!