PDA

View Full Version : Mini-T amp power supply

electric beach
20-05-2011, 11:52
Sorry, here we go again ;)

And no, I don't want to build something :doh:

Q1

I have tried the Mini-T amp with both the 2A and 5A supplied SMPS' and I couldn't hear a difference. However, I do suspect them of negatively effecting my mains arrangement - when I moved the amp's plug/ps away from the Vertex distribution block and the other equipment, there was an incredible difference.

Having recently acquired one, I've followed ALL the discussions and posts on power supply replacements for the Touch. At the end I'm still unsure whether it is a risk to try the Maplin VN10L at 4.5v on it......
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-20w-power-supply-32754

Q2

As the VN10L is rated at 1.5 - 2.5A and 12v option, I assume this would be OK to try on the Mini-T also?
Here is the statement from the ad:

For those demanding more power this Mini T is supplied with an uprated external 12V 5A power supply there is no need to spend time seeking out alternatives at high cost. This is an external "brick" style not wall plug power supply. Some argue that the additional ampage leads to deeper bass output and extra clarity - we certainly do not disagree!

If desired the Mini T can be fed with a higher voltage regulated power supply up to 13.8V and an adaptor is supplied to support both 5.5/2.5mm and 5.5/2.1mm power connectors.

Q3
Would the 5A version of this be suitable for the Mini-T? Would this be a linear supply? - obviously I'm trying to replace SMPS.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231

wee tee cee
21-05-2011, 17:15
Steve,
I recently put my maplin 1200ma power supply to work powering my bantum it did indeed increase the bass.Made a nice improvement over the standard psu.
Regards Tony.

WAD62
22-05-2011, 14:28
Sorry, here we go again ;)

And no, I don't want to build something :doh:

Q1

I have tried the Mini-T amp with both the 2A and 5A supplied SMPS' and I couldn't hear a difference. However, I do suspect them of negatively effecting my mains arrangement - when I moved the amp's plug/ps away from the Vertex distribution block and the other equipment, there was an incredible difference.

Having recently acquired one, I've followed ALL the discussions and posts on power supply replacements for the Touch. At the end I'm still unsure whether it is a risk to try the Maplin VN10L at 4.5v on it......
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-20w-power-supply-32754

Q2

As the VN10L is rated at 1.5 - 2.5A and 12v option, I assume this would be OK to try on the Mini-T also?
Here is the statement from the ad:

For those demanding more power this Mini T is supplied with an uprated external 12V 5A power supply there is no need to spend time seeking out alternatives at high cost. This is an external "brick" style not wall plug power supply. Some argue that the additional ampage leads to deeper bass output and extra clarity - we certainly do not disagree!

If desired the Mini T can be fed with a higher voltage regulated power supply up to 13.8V and an adaptor is supplied to support both 5.5/2.5mm and 5.5/2.1mm power connectors.

Q3
Would the 5A version of this be suitable for the Mini-T? Would this be a linear supply? - obviously I'm trying to replace SMPS.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231

I think the Mini-T needs a 60W linear PSU, the VN10L is OK for a touch or a Beresford, I don't think Maplins do a 60W linear, only a SMPS one.

I think you need more grunt for the amp than the VN10L can give...I stand to be corrected :)

electric beach
24-05-2011, 11:36
Bugger.

Well, I said that I'd followed ALL the power supply discussions but apparently I missed the most pertinent one, "going linear with a Caiman", where Stan specifically talks about the Maplins CB power unit that I questioned. And the even more relevent question of polarity of the DC lead when cut from an old PSU.

I am now the proud owner of an Ex-Mini-T. :doh:

Chip well and truly fried. :mental:

I really shouldn't even be left in charge of an on/off button!

Tarzan
24-05-2011, 13:05
Bugger.

Well, I said that I'd followed ALL the power supply discussions but apparently I missed the most pertinent one, "going linear with a Caiman", where Stan specifically talks about the Maplins CB power unit that I questioned. And the even more relevent question of polarity of the DC lead when cut from an old PSU.

I am now the proud owner of an Ex-Mini-T. :doh:

Chip well and truly fried. :mental:

I really shouldn't even be left in charge of an on/off button!

l have one for sale £250;)

electric beach
24-05-2011, 13:45
l have one for sale £250;)

Trying to exploit my vulnerable state, eh? There speaks a true Essex lad :youtheman:

I do / did value the Mini-T way beyond it's purchase price tag - but a replacement chip is £6.75

Incidently, had contact with Amptastic and they are working on a revised website with online ordering and also a revised spec that will see that blue laser eye blinded.

WAD62
24-05-2011, 14:34
Incidently, had contact with Amptastic and they are working on a revised website with online ordering and also a revised spec that will see that blue laser eye blinded.

Cheers for the update I wondered where the seller had gone...I find a bit of blu-tak over the light does the job ;)

Tarzan
24-05-2011, 14:54
Trying to exploit my vulnerable state, eh? There speaks a true Essex lad :youtheman:

I do / did value the Mini-T way beyond it's purchase price tag - but a replacement chip is £6.75

Ta:lolsign:

aBe
30-05-2011, 08:28
Am I doing any harm if I were to use a PS with 14V / 6A rating. Saw a few nice looking regged-PSU over here in my place.

Would it work for both the T-Amp (mine's a HLLY T amp20) and Caiman as well ?