PDA

View Full Version : A free vinyl tweak

Ammonite Audio
17-05-2011, 19:07
My Audio Note Arm 1 tonearm has just been upgraded to Arm 3 status, with a much better silver wiring loom and an offset counterweight. Setting it up on the TD124 today, I mounted the Kontrapunkt B in the correct position in the headshell but just lightly nipped up the bolts enough to hold it in place. Then I forgot and after setting the tracking force, started listening to some music, which sounded rather magnificent. Then I remembered the bolts and tightened them, but not excessively, whereupon the sound lost its fluidity and musical feel. Slacking the bolts brought the magical sound back. So, I have just discovered a free tweak that many old hands probably know already!

worrasf
17-05-2011, 19:15
I think this is Len Gregory's (The Cartridge Man) view as well - hence his isolater - guess it's cartridge/arm dependent - I seem to remember when I was running my LP12/Ittok/Troika my local Linn dealer running the cartridge bolts (and the arm height locking screw) very very tight :stalks:

I've always done it a bit like spark plugs - snug them down then 1/4 turn

Steve

Ammonite Audio
17-05-2011, 19:19
I've always done it a bit like spark plugs - snug them down then 1/4 turn

Steve

So have I, but now I'll just snug them down and no more!

worrasf
17-05-2011, 19:24
Just wait till that loose spark plug flies through your bonnet :lol:
Steve

Marco
17-05-2011, 19:24
It's the same when tightening grub screws on arm pillars ;)

Bolting things like that tight enough to hold down the Queen Mary is NEVER a good idea.

I'm pleased that your rewire has done the biz, Hugo! :cool:

Marco.

MCRU
19-05-2011, 21:32
It's the same when tightening grub screws on arm pillars ;)

Bolting things like that tight enough to hold down the Queen Mary is NEVER a good idea.

I'm pleased that your rewire has done the biz, Hugo! :cool:

Marco.

Is that so Marco, so tightening your power cords so the mains plug cable clamp snaps is not bolting thingsg tight enough eh!!!:ner:

Marco
19-05-2011, 21:36
Yesh, but I like the pain when it's shtrapped tight on the end of my knob! :lol:

Marco.

camtwister
30-07-2011, 11:23
Setting it up on the TD124 today, I mounted the Kontrapunkt B in the correct position in the headshell but just lightly nipped up the bolts enough to hold it in place. Then I forgot and after setting the tracking force, started listening to some music, which sounded rather magnificent. Then I remembered the bolts and tightened them, but not excessively, whereupon the sound lost its fluidity and musical feel. Slacking the bolts brought the magical sound back.

I can report similar results using an Ortofon 2M Blue and AT110E on different Linn LVX+ arms. The cartridges are nipped up to prevent visible movement using an Ortofon screwdriver but no more. I'm not using any isolators or spacers.

There's more air. I prefer it.

This tweak and reducing the tracking force by 0.15g (from 1.80 to 1.65) for the 2M Blue has given me an agreeable change in HF response without creating other issues.
Hey hey!

Tea24
30-07-2011, 13:05
From memory just tight enough to prevent movement is what Tom Fletcher of Notts Analogue recommended.