PDA

View Full Version : Are all RCD's created equal?

worrasf
17-05-2011, 07:51
I pose the question as I am in the process of installing a balanced power supply (this one http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/bp3120-bp3120-balanced-power-supply.asp). I have a dedicated mains fed from a single 30 amp RCD in the consumer unit and was just idly wondering if there was any evidence that a particular type/manufacturer RCD was "better" in sonic terms. I am assuming not.

Steve

jantheman
17-05-2011, 08:11
Russ Andrews says otherwise...personally I'm not sure but have a look at what he says them make your own mind up.....

worrasf
17-05-2011, 08:19
Thanks but I think he's just referring to the consumer unit he's flogging as opposed to the RCS inside.

"In light of this, Russ has recently tested a quantity of the most modern, up-to-date consumer units fitted with RCDs. He found that their performance is now comparable to the older units without RCDs - he assumes it's because the design has been changed to make RCDs even safer, with the benefit of sounding better in a Hi-Fi installation. Of the units he tested, he's selected the very best performing one and we're offering it here fitted with the correct RCD and MCB circuit breaker for a single Hi-Fi or Home Cinema circuit, fully treating the contacts with DeoxIT for better performance."

I certainly can't find an RCD for sale on his site.

Steve