PDA

View Full Version : I've Only Got A Little One - 3" CD's

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2011, 22:44
Here's me going through some CD's and I find a 3" Jeff Healey Band disc that came with a copy of New Hi-Fi Sound magazine back in 1988. I played it & enjoyed it, then I put it to one side so I could play it later in another room.

I've just tried to play it in my PC's DVD drive - no good as there's no extra recess in the drawer to sit little discs into but my Accuphase DP67 has.

You used to be able to get caddy thingies to clip around 3" discs - can you still get them? And if so, what are they called & would I have to buy loads in a multipack just to play my one disc?

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 06:17
I have a copy of same disc and used to have it in an adaptor. If I can find it will let you know.

MartinT
17-05-2011, 06:25
Most of mine came as 8cm discs in tiny sleeves, but I believe I have a couple in adapters, if I could only remember which ones! Very surprised your PC drive has no recess, all the ones I've checked here do as driver CDs very often come in 8cm size.

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2011, 06:31
Very surprised your PC drive has no recess, all the ones I've checked here do as driver CDs very often come in 8cm size.

I was rather surprised too, another PC & two laptops have it, but not this one apparently.

Alex_UK
17-05-2011, 06:35
But from where, John...? ;)

I bet someone's got one lying in a draw somewhere... Unfortunately, I haven't and can't find any in stock anywhere either. One thing you could do is find another CD single you like with an adapter? But pretty thin on the ground, will cost about £5-£10, for something you've never heard of or is rubbish... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Helloween-Dr-Stein-3-CD-SINGLE-ADAPTOR-/370510134675?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item56441ffd93#ht_623wt_1139

Does anyone know if 3" singles play on laptops? Might be easiest to just copy it to a normal CD if they do?

EDIT: Ah, I see John changed his post.

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 06:46
Is this what you're after?

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/DSC00100.jpg

Found this after a quick rummage.

PM me.

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2011, 06:53
That'd be one of the things! I've never had any but I remember seeing them in shops, just the same only black.
Do you remember where you got it from?

Cheers

MartinT
17-05-2011, 07:02
Does anyone know if 3" singles play on laptops? Might be easiest to just copy it to a normal CD if they do?

That's what I would do: a quick bit of laptop + Nero and you would have a playable 12cm disc :)

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2011, 07:21
Well, I don't need to play it in every room in the house - it's not a problem. I was just interested.
Sorry to get you all excited - I have these idle thoughts sometimes!