PDA

View Full Version : sacd on headphones?

oldson
15-05-2011, 20:47
i know very little (ok nothing) about sacd.

i assume the main benefit is improved sound.
would these benefits be lost on a headphone system?

the reason i ask is i am looking to add a good quality cd player to my desktop pc system, for times when i want to listen without hearing cooling fans between tracks.
i would like to know whether it is worth looking at sacd players?
cheers

sparrow
15-05-2011, 21:15
I would say yes..I don't listen to sacd's in surround but of the ones I have most sound a bit better than normal cd's. I have the Pioneer pd6 which although discontinued can still be bought new on Amazon..it's not the best player but does sound good to my ears.

oldson
16-05-2011, 18:37
cheers
i will stick to my non sacd shotlist of quad cdp-2 or audiolab 8200cdq!

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 05:59
Hi Simon. SACD can be an improvement over Red Book CD, smoother, more detailed sound and it is still quite easy to find a decent amount of material on the twinnernet. Having said that a good CD player is probably more viable because of the huge amount of pre-recorded material. :)

John

Alex_UK
17-05-2011, 06:22
Hi Simon. SACD can be an improvement over Red Book CD, smoother, more detailed sound and it is still quite easy to find a decent amount of material on the twinnernet. Having said that a good CD player is probably more viable because of the huge amount of pre-recorded material. :)

John

I'd agree to all of that, but I only have about 15 SACD's due to the fact that most of what I like either didn't make it to SACD, or if it did is now out of print - and have you seen the prce of some of them! Several of mine are worth at least £60 if ebay & Amazon prices are any guide...

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 07:09
I'd agree to all of that, but I only have about 15 SACD's due to the fact that most of what I like either didn't make it to SACD, or if it did is now out of print - and have you seen the prce of some of them! Several of mine are worth at least £60 if ebay & Amazon prices are any guide...

Yes managed to get £40 for [I]Avalon -Roxy Music. But less than £6 for We Can't Dance - Genesis. Although have to say the latter is a truly dreadful album (imo). Most prices are very optimistic that's for sure, both on ebay and amazon.

John

oldson
17-05-2011, 19:06
i just realised i have an old sony dvdp which will play sacd.
so if i bought a 8200cdq , which i believe has analogue inputs, i would be sorted.
and if i find i prefer the cdq's dac to my stagedac, i could then sell the stage dac to offset the cost.

cheers

allsorts
24-05-2011, 23:30
Like sparrow i have a Pioneer pd-6 player that i really like. What i llke about hybrid sacds is that the cd layer (which i copy into itunes) sound so good too. Is the cd layer a downsample of the sacd layer or do they just put extra effort in mastering the cd layer on these sacds? I have about 75 sacds of jazz and classical most are hybrid and its like getting 2 discs for the price of one when i can copy the good quality cd layer to itunes as well. Prices here in oz for jazz in particular are expensive (if available) so Amazon USA used sacds have been invaluable for me and a cheaper alternative.