PDA

View Full Version : Dust - Best way to clean internally

The Black Adder
15-05-2011, 20:43
Hi.

Can anyone give me some information on how to clean dust from the internals of my cd player?

Cheers
Joe

Jac Hawk
15-05-2011, 21:20
A compressed air gun or you can buy aerosol air cans for cleaning cameras etc.

The Black Adder
16-05-2011, 06:46
ah, great. Thanks, yeah I did think about the aerosols but thought they might not be powerful enough but I will try... Many thanks

nat8808
17-05-2011, 17:00
"Put your lips together and blow"... through a free straw from McDonalds if you like. If theres still more then use a small paintbrush, then blow.

Just make sure it's unplugged when you open it up.

Personally i find that air or compressed air is not as good as using a brush and yet costs tens of times more and has to be replaced whereas the small brush will cost about £1 and last a lifetime. Not exactly environmentally friendly either to make, package and then dispose of a canister of compressed air when you can simply brush the dust off and blow it away yourself.

I might not advise it for a tiny swiss watch mechanism, but for a CD player, there's nothing delicate in there.

Mark Grant
17-05-2011, 17:29
These are good:

http://www.computercleaningproducts.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=60

Not sure if that's a good price or not but they where at the top of google :)

Also useful for getting the fluff and crisps etc from between car seats and trims etc where normal size hoover attachments dont reach.

howlindawg
19-05-2011, 09:49
These are good:

http://www.computercleaningproducts.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=60

Interesting... might be useful for a DIY RCM. :bulb:

I use the largest version of >these< (http://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm) for removing dust.
Very effective and very controllable.

nat8808
19-05-2011, 13:42
A cheap soft paint brush I promise is the best value.. the air things are really for getting rid of dust when you can't take things appart, like a keyboard (don't know why they show a camera on the website for the link above - it just looks so cumbersom compared a cheap puff-type lens blower thing)

You can fully dsimantle the CD player, blow out the loose dust, brush out the harder to get dust and then blow that out too.

I bet you already have a used paint brush that's small and soft enough sitting in your box of tools - quicker to get that out than even thinking about using anything else, let alone going out an buying something.

Buying something like the hoover or blow-rocket is just an excuse to buy yet another gadget! It's going to clutter up your life for the sake of about 3 uses you get out of it before putting it away and never touching it again..

spendorman
19-05-2011, 13:52
I agree with soft paint brush, but have a vacuum cleaner nozzle nearby to pull away the dust.

nat8808
20-05-2011, 00:08
I agree with soft paint brush, but have a vacuum cleaner nozzle nearby to pull away the dust.

I normally blow it into the bathroom sink cos I like to see how much was actually in there! :) Amazing how much dust does actually accumulate over 10 or 20 years...