View Full Version : G'day

bogle111
15-05-2011, 18:06
Hi to all,

Apologies, should have done this first.:rolleyes: Well, you asked, here goes...

Started in the hi-fi trade in the glory days. You needed real stamina to work in the trade in those days, - if you could understand the market, drink and survive on 3 hours sleep a night, you were in. Seen bar bills and entertainment receipts that would pretty much buy a house back then. Got out of it about 14 years ago while I still had some intact brain cells, and when it appeared that the general trend was moving away from quality for the man in the street.

I now live in Snowdonia where I have business interests. Before that I was a co-founder of a chain of hi-fi stores in UK. Was one of four that setup the Bristol Show in the '80's and London Show at Marble Arch. I am a sales & m'ting type, but cannot abide BS. Have worked directly with John Michell on marketing, when clamp and Focus One came out, etc.. Also have worked with Thorens when their Electronics and CD first came out, Boston Acoustics, Ram etc.. Was lucky enough to see the Garrard factory just after closure, and the prototypes they were working on, including DD and belt. I also know that some of their best work left before they had new owners. Have worked with press :mental:, manufacturers, distributors and retailers.

Equipment - way too much - mainly DD - Nakamichi, SP-10's, SL-1000, PLC-590, Delphi, LP-12 etc.. Arms - SME 9", 12" x 2, EPA-100, PU-3, Thorens RB300, AT1100 x 2. Carts - way too many, don't ask, I can't remember all. Amps - a few plus some. Speakers - a few more than several - one pair still new in boxes after 15 years! CD Players - some and others. Cassette decks - yup plus Revoxes. Understanding wife - yup, only got one of them. Just getting all the stuff dusted off after years of inactivity.

Am intrigued about all the fuss of the 1200's and derivatives. There some interesting topics here.

Generally am sceptical about many "tweeks" that are aimed at curing a problem, when it is not aimed at the cause.

Still have some pre-production prototypes now that never made it - time was not right - we had the Linn agency - there, that's done it !! Maybe now the time is right, but now I don't have much spare time and am out of the game.

Regards to all..Pete

The Grand Wazoo
15-05-2011, 18:20
Hi Pete,
Welcome to The Art of Sound.
Jeez - you've been a busy lad! That's a nice introduction to yourself there - what sort of music do you like?

Cheers

Alex_UK
15-05-2011, 18:42
Hi Pete, welcome to AoS.

Blimey - it does sound like you've been around the block a few times! ;) I'm sure you will be a great source of knowledge. I suspect you will know a few of the trade and ex-trade posters on here - seems that even in the heyday, it was a relatively small world?

what sort of music do you like? Music? Music! You think he's got time to listen to music when he's dusting all that gear down! ;)

Enjoy the forum Pete, and I look forward to your contributions. :)

Pete The Cat
15-05-2011, 18:52
Anyone named Pete is a good thing ! Intrigued by your Garrard comments. Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Pete

bogle111
15-05-2011, 18:52
Hi Chris,

All sorts. Grew up in 4 countries so my tastes are very varied. Going off the late '50's & '60's R&B stuff more in favour of American Blues - hard, early stuff and classical, not the too hard Wagner type anymore. A slight amount of Opera, more older stuff. Like Gili, Tauber etc.. Don't really do the pop stuff today, though every now and then will hear something new and interesting. Will never be without Moody Blues, Floyd etc.. I go with the mood.

Surprisingly enough, it has been my wife that has been changing my taste in music. She is a fine artist and said I needed some "culture".

My greatest loss to music at the moment - today - is Terry Wogan and the Eurovision Contest. He made it bearable and worth watching.

He was good. Love British homour as well, even recorded.

My biggest problem is, I work too much, listen to Radio 4 and watch the currency markets.

Regards
Pete

The Grand Wazoo
15-05-2011, 19:15
Hi Chris,

All sorts. Grew up in 4 countries so my tastes are very varied. Going off the late '50's & '60's R&B stuff more in favour of American Blues - hard, early stuff and classical......

Interesting - when you say early, do you mean 50's/60's early, or 20's/30's/40's early?

Marco
15-05-2011, 19:16
Hi Peter,

Nice to see you joining. Where in Snowdonia are you? Are we near enough to have a music sesh and a few beers? :gig:

:cool: :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
15-05-2011, 19:52
Hi Peter and welcome. I've got to know: what are the speakers still in their boxes? :)

John
15-05-2011, 20:16
Hi Pete
Welcome to AOS nice selection of gear
You probarly quite close to Marco so I would suggest a visit to him to see what can be done with the 1210

bogle111
15-05-2011, 20:43
Hi Pete

Essex eh? I was born just outside of Soufend!

Hi Alex

No, just getting into the '40's stuff. Looking forward to Dylan programmes on Radio 4 next week. Thought it was great when he worked as a DJ over Christmas and gave out cooking recipes - fantastic.

I used to record off the radio and then keep what I wanted and learn more, hence the R2R's.

I was never a Techie, but was usually able to understand the problems and think laterally. I doubt I can add much, except ideas and history.

Here is a quick one - with all the 1210's around, what about a composite slate plinth and custom machined platter for the 1210 innards? Would certainly take the price off of SP-10's and may sound better than standard.

Hello Marco

Yes, I go into Wrexham. I am in Dolgellau. I am at present trying to get another business off the ground an though most of my stuff has been coming out of boxes ssince Christmas, nothing except the CD player is setup. I do remember 2 dealers there that I called on years ago. Acton Gate Audio and another gentleman in the middle of town. Do remember he once worked for Toshiba and had a unique cartridge.

Hi Martin T

The speakers are a pair of the last metal rodded 103/4's. As I was leaving the industry and wandering around the surface, I was getting Kef 103's, 104's and 105's as they were changing models to the Ref 1, 2, 3, . Were going cheaper in other words with plastic rods inside so I was selling the old ones in Loot. 7oaks got upset and that was that. I use NS1000M at present, an old pair of 611's at work and have a pair of Berkeleys mk1's to refoam.

Must get back to work getting ready for tomorrow.

Regards to all and thank you for a warm welcome.

Pete

Jonboy
15-05-2011, 21:20
Hello Pete and welcome from me, you sound like you have got a few interesting stories to tell and a fair bit of kit to share with us, love the Kefs just sold my 105.3's, oh well i can't keep it all

Barry
15-05-2011, 22:02
Welcome to AoS Pete.

I live in Essex and have friends in North Wales, so often drive up there (Conwy), and in doing so will usually swing by Marco's place in Wrexham to annoy him.

Climbing Snowdon is something I promised myself I would do before I pop my clogs!

American Blues? Do you know Muddy Waters's son, Mud Morganfield will be playing at the Victoria Hotel in Menai next Sunday (22.05.11)? If you can go, you will be able to meet Marco, Chris (The Grand Wazoo) and myself.

Welcome again

Regards

Spectral Morn
16-05-2011, 00:03
Hi Pete

Welcome to AOS.

Nice intro.

Regards D S D L

chris@panteg
16-05-2011, 10:33
My greatest loss to music at the moment - today - is Terry Wogan and the Eurovision Contest. He made it bearable and worth watching.

He was good. Love British homour as well, even recorded.

Pete

Damn right there , how i envy you , last October the wifey and i were in Snowdonia , just fell in love with the place .

Welcome to the forum :)

bogle111
17-05-2011, 01:17
Welcome to AoS Pete.

I live in Essex and have friends in North Wales, so often drive up there (Conwy), and in doing so will usually swing by Marco's place in Wrexham to annoy him.

Climbing Snowdon is something I promised myself I would do before I pop my clogs!

American Blues? Do you know Muddy Waters's son, Mud Morganfield will be playing at the Victoria Hotel in Menai next Sunday (22.05.11)? If you can go, you will be able to meet Marco, Chris (The Grand Wazoo) and myself.

Welcome again

Regards

Hi

Would love to BUT my wife is going away on a Silent Retreat (vot's point !!..she's never silent round here) and I have to stay and look after the pets, etc.. Thanks for the offer though. My wife did see Howlin' Wolf about '71 in a small club in Nova Scotia or New England somewhere. Would like to have seen/heard that.

Snowdonia was a culture shock for me when I first came here, having lived in 8 uk cities, Boston, Mass., Germany and Canada. Now though, would not figure on moving. The people are great. No Motorways. Fresh air. Have no ambition to climb Snowdon, - if summits were meant to be reached, they would come with escalators installed! Climbing 1/4 Snowdon would pop my clogs.

Stories to tell, many (character assasinations by arrangement) though loads are not printable. Never would have thought one would become a Lord!

I would be interested to see how things have moved on though, especially the 1210's. I have something developed shortly after the Michel clamp you all may be interested in hearing too.

Regards
Pete

BTW Just heard Trump not running for President, any bets he went before he was fired!

MartinT
17-05-2011, 06:07
I have something developed shortly after the Michel clamp you all may be interested in hearing too.

Yes, please!

bogle111
19-05-2011, 00:41
I shall post some pics of it soon. I am just getting one of the t/t's set up and want to try it out again. You will like the concept, no doubt about it, whether you like the sound, that is subjective, like they say "there is only one g'tee in this life, and it's not a healthy one!"