PDA

View Full Version : TDK FE90 TYPE 1 casettes

Wakefield Turntables
14-05-2011, 20:04
I fancied getting my old Nak out today to do some recording onto tape :eek: I picked up a couple of these old TDK cassettes and wondered if they were any good. Comments, or alternate suggestions for a new cassette supply always welcome.

Reid Malenfant
14-05-2011, 20:08
TDK MA ;)

Beechwoods
14-05-2011, 20:34
Give 'em a go and find out! FE's were never particularly well regarded, not like SA's or SA-X - they were the 'bit better Ferric's' and IMO chrome is where it starts getting interesting, though if you record and playback without Dolby you can get surprisingly good results from basic Ferrics on a Nak. Make sure you follow the eq, calibration and bias advice in your manual to tailor your Nak's performance to your tape.

Wakefield Turntables
15-05-2011, 08:39
Thanks guys, I bought two for a quid from a local charity store, just thought I'd have some fun. I have a CR3e nak which I know isnt the best, maybe I'll get a CR7 or even a Dragon one day if I start to take this bit of my audiophile experience seriously :eek:

Beechwoods
15-05-2011, 08:52
The CR3E is still from the time when Nakamichi were making great decks, Andrew :)

Wakefield Turntables
15-05-2011, 18:21
Nick,

Just seen some of your stuff, very very nice :youtheman:

Rare Bird
15-05-2011, 20:13
The 'SA-X' from around the mid '80's were my fave cassette..I also used to use the die-cast alloy 'MA-R' Metals when i was a bit flush :eyebrows: , now they were so silent on rewind.

Beechwoods
15-05-2011, 20:48
Nick,

Just seen some of your stuff, very very nice :youtheman:

Thanks Andrew :) I've acquired a new addition in the last week or so as well, but been too busy to take any pics or get it properly into my system! Should have some more good pictures soon :)

Rare Bird
15-05-2011, 21:27
:drool:

Barry
15-05-2011, 22:09
I used to buy dozens of the FEs for the car. Dirt cheap when bought in 5-packs, and when recorded on either a Nak BX-2 or BX-125 sounded great. Otherwise, I used to use either TDK AR or, if metal, MA or MA-R (the latter for piano music). I had both my Naks optimised for TDK metal tapes.

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2011, 07:41
Thanks Andrew :) I've acquired a new addition in the last week or so as well, but been too busy to take any pics or get it properly into my system! Should have some more good pictures soon :)

Beechy, you're a little teaser you!