PDA

View Full Version : Latest addition to my system ...

Iain Sinclair
27-09-2008, 19:41
A pair of Western Electric 300B valves (plus some internal fettling) to enhance my Border Patrol. It's now stupidly good.

Togil
27-09-2008, 19:45
NOS or current production ?

Iain Sinclair
27-09-2008, 19:47
NOS or current production ?

Current production, I think. Is there a difference?

Togil
28-09-2008, 08:35
Hmm, there aren't many 300B tube rollers on this forum to answer the question, this being mainly a KT88 place

purite audio
28-09-2008, 10:48
Iain Hi, we compared the WE300B with the Emission Labs and far preferred the Emissions, whereabouts are you perhaps a tube bake-off? Keith.

SPS
28-09-2008, 19:42
I have a old pair of stc 4300a (same as 300b.. they where the english arm of WE), they are better than every other new production that i've heard.. but i've not heard the new WE valves..
the quality is reflected in the prices they fetch.. you get more of everything + tight bass.. and a fantastic tone..

with the new valves you need to spend on the power supply.. and getting good drive into the valve.. and they still don't match old valves

steve

Andy831
29-09-2008, 06:54
Dependant where the bakeoff was I could contribute a pair of TJ Meshplates and a lowly pair of EH goldgrids.

Marco
29-09-2008, 07:33
Hi Andy,

Good to see you posting :)

I really enjoyed listening to your system the other night and meeting you. Your speakers are awesome! I loved you're 301, too. You also seemed quite impressed with Ian's AOS/TD amp. It's not bad for a converted Chinese thingy, is it? :eyebrows:

Marco.

P.S You can now tell Tony L next time you see him that I'm reasonably sane and non-volatile ;)

Andy831
29-09-2008, 14:08
Hi Andy,

P.S You can now tell Tony L next time you see him that I'm reasonably sane and non-volatile ;)

Marco

I take folk as I find em!!!!! and you appear to be perfectly sane to me :lolsign:although I am sure others on here would disagree :lol:

Glad you liked the speaks I think they are a bit special.Although I do accept that from a looks viewpoint they are not to everyones taste, and I really do think they fit in with a set of 3 ducks flying flat up the wall, But hey they are in a listening room so no problems to me.

I really liked "E"s power amp especially when we stuck the Decware Preamp in front of it. Very dynamic.

:cool: for now

Andy