PDA

View Full Version : Charity shop LP finds

keiths
13-05-2011, 14:24
Had a look round the three charity shops in town today in search of vinyl.

The local hospice shop never really has anything and today was no exception.

Oxfam had a hundred or so LPs, but they seem to think any scratched 'Music For Pleasure' album is worth £4.99 so I passed.

Age Concern usually has a few LPs at the back of the shop, but today had a couple of boxes full. I picked up the following -

Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Cole Porter Songbook
Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Cole Porter Songbook Volume 2
Both these are original 1956 mono LPs with gold and maroon His Master's Voice "Nipper" labels. A bit dirty, but I can only see a few very faint hairlines, so I hope that after a good spin on the Moth RCM these could be a brilliant find.

Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Frank Sinatra - Come Dance With Me
Both early pressings. "Swingin' Lovers" has a big tear to the cover but the vinyl looks very near mint. "Come Dance" has one significant scratch on one track, but other wise seems excellent.

The George Shearing Quintet - Latin Rendezvous
A 1965 original pressing on Capital. Both cover and vinyl appear mint.

Bix Beiderbecke - The Studio Groups 1927
1981 pressing on Emi Retrospect. Cover and vinyl mint.

Music From Fantasia
1970's Readers Digest LP. Cover mint, vinyl near mint

Andrew Lloyd Webber - Variations
Both cover and vinyl near mint

The Manhattan Transfer - Coming Out
Near mint.

Wings - Greatest
Dusty as hell, but otherwise looks excellent+

So ten LPs for £9.90 - I bet both the Ella Fitzgerald ones must be worth that each.

prestonchipfryer
13-05-2011, 15:04
That's very good Keith. In my part of the world there are several Oxfarm shops within an hours drive or less. It surprises me, no it annoys me, when I have been in these shops that they are asking some ridiculous prices for some really rather tatty LPs. Think £3.99 to £5.99 and so on. In one shop, in Bridport, they were asking £11.99 for Donald Fagan The Nightfly, when asked why they were asking this price the answer was: 'We got the price off Ebay,'. How ridiculous is that? Needless to say I do not buy any LPs or anything for that matter from Oxfarm.

Regards

John

Barry
16-05-2011, 21:01
Oxfam are an utter rip-off. All their CDs are £4, whereas they are £1 - £2.50 at any other charity shop.

Anything in the Decca SXL record series is £15, regardless of condition!

They have a man who "knows about these things"! :lol:

Still things are slowly changing: Oxfam now charge £3 for a lot of CDs. They don't, as yet get, any custom from me.

Thing Fish
16-05-2011, 22:55
They don't, as yet get, any custom from me.

Your a hard man Barry...;)

The Grand Wazoo
16-05-2011, 23:09
My local Oxfam are still dreaming about the value of their vinyl - they too, have 'a man who knows about these things'.
As a result of this, their stock of anything other than the sort of stuff you can get anywhere for under a fiver hardly moves. This will, no doubt lead them to conclude, at some later date that there's no market for them in vinyl. Had their policy been rather more realistic, they'd certainly have made hundreds from me by now.
.......still, they appear to be certain that someone will turn up & pay these prices.....one day.

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 05:36
My local Oxfam are still dreaming about the value of their vinyl - they too, have 'a man who knows about these things'.

Doesn't know b****r all. I'd like to meet this man 'who knows about these things'. Bet he lives in Cuckoo Land.

prestonchipfryer
17-05-2011, 05:48
Doesn't know b****r all. I'd like to meet this man 'who knows about these things'. Bet he lives in Cuckoo Land.

I should add that I contacted Oxfam head office and eventually got The Nightfly for a fiver, which was still too high a price but made be feel better than the stuck-up c*w who was running the shop.