PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL150 MK2

Tarzan
13-05-2011, 10:12
Hi chaps just a quickie, l like the looks of the SL150 mk2, how do they stack up against the SL1200, and would an SME V tonearm fit ok on one, thanks:)

Slippershod
13-05-2011, 10:31
hi Tarzan,

I have the silver and rosewood 150 mkII here, with armboard cut for SME.
I've mounted both a 309 and a 3009 without any apparent problems ... but, having said that, the deck has 'little' feet, and you can't just unscrew them and fit something like the isonoe...

because I've had the RCA conversion done to the 3009 (the straight down ones - didn't realise what an arse-ache that would cause!) I had to get into silly season territory with getting clearance for connects and the 3009...

the 309, with original cable, was no problem at all, and I suspect a 3009 with original cabling would be ok too.

not sure if any of that'll help, but hope so ...

WOStantonCS100
13-05-2011, 21:32
I am planning very soon to start experimenting with my 150mk2. There is enough difference between these tables to make a direct comparison rather tricky.

The 150mk2 solves the pesky problem of the 1300mk2, 1400mk2 and 1500mk2's suspension failing (which in extreme cases sinks the sub chassis so low that the platter rests on the plinth and ceases to spin). :doh: I also find that the suspension does not prevent foot fall vibration as well as I thought it would. The shock was that my other non-suspended tables, including the 1200mk2 and 150mk2, do a much better job and are therefore pressed into service atop my rack.

As far as the motor unit is concerned, all the mk2's are extremely competent and I would trust any of them to render low W&F, low S/N and the expected speed accuracy.

The platter of the 150mk2 is the heavier balanced kind, albeit not damped (underneath) like the 1200mk2. Careful selection of a "synergistic" platter damping/record coupling interface may be in order.

The 150mk2 is not a light-weight but is constructed differently, with wood, rather than the pocan/rubber base of the 1200. Sonically, I don't necessarily have a preference, YMMV.

SME's should be no problem with this deck. A bonus for this deck is the thick arm plate. As mentioned above, that may be a double edged sword; but, I kind of like the idea of having a thick platform for the arm (far thicker than the average 1200mk2 drop in armboard replacements). Though any competent woodworker could probably make a replacement armboard for the 150mk2, I just stumbled upon this from Cartridge-Clinic.de :eyebrows: 540 grams of aluminum! Now were talkin' !

http://www.cartridge-clinic.de/upload/pics/small/basis_sl151_475.jpg