PDA

View Full Version : AMR (Abingdon Audio Research) - Anyone experienced?

The Black Adder
10-05-2011, 15:13
Hi there guys.

Does anyone know anything about AMR? - I see that the stuff they make looks really quite impressive but I'm a little put off in the way of the build quality.

Like most run of the mill products designed or/and assembled in China AMR claim that their units are designed and made on Blighty soil... Thing is, I think they are telling porkies.

Some Chinese stuff puts me off a little especially amplifiers for some reason. They look like they have been made on the cheap and with some further reasearch in to a Shanling (same unit as the Pure Sound 9000cdp) cd player a couple of years ago I found that cheap components were covered up with nice plastic parts to make them look all beefy n cool.

Not saying this is anything like that it's just an observation on my previous experience.

So, has anyone seen or heard AMR?

Cheers

UV101
10-05-2011, 15:18
Funny enough, their CD-77 was mentioned yesterday so googled it and found this. As a lover of the TDA1541 dac, I would very much like to audition one of these!!!

http://www.dagogo.com/view-article.asp?harticle=49

The Black Adder
10-05-2011, 15:22
I'm a big fan of the TDA1541 too. Nothing I've heard betters it if it's used in the right way.

It looks lovely.. But I want to see what is under the power transformer covers... again, covers are nice but why on earth would you cover something up, you can't see it anyway.

Eg. the Shanling cdp had a lovely looking dac chip... looked like a huge heat sink but when removed it was a resistor and the cheapest of the cheapest chip ever.

http://www.dagogo.com/assets/images/image/AMR-CD77-4.jpg

Maybe I'm being paranoid here but it seems an expence for no gain.

I can't knock the sound as I've never heard one yet... and yeah, they look very cool to boot. It's just that bitter taste I have in the back of my mouth that says 'watch out'... Beadles about.

The Black Adder
10-05-2011, 15:38
Ah...ok...They state that they are designed and engineered in the UK... So this means they are made in China.

Ooooh, should have seen that one... must be getting old.

hifi_dave
10-05-2011, 16:42
Why take a chance when there is so much good stuff which is designed and built here ?

Marco
10-05-2011, 16:47
Hi Joe,

Neil (Dalek) is yer man! :)

Marco.

aquapiranha
10-05-2011, 16:47
I have always admired the AMR gear for its unbelievable build quality and use of super quality components. I have never heard any,though Neil here has one of the CD players and I am sure he will be along to give you the gen.

Elzar
10-05-2011, 18:51
I've seen it in a static set-up at launch and it looked fabulous I know how fickle this hobby can be.

The Black Adder
10-05-2011, 19:50
It would be good to hear about this. I've got to say, only 6moons have a half decent review. Verdicts and opinions are scarce for something that looks really quite cool.

They need some marketing... lol

UV101
10-05-2011, 20:10
I've never seen or heard one in the flesh but I do know a little about the 1541 DAC. My own opinion of what I've seen in the review is simply jaw dropping. I would love to hear one.

Anyone still using a DAC thats 20 years old is either mad or on to something :eyebrows:

Why the negativity? there is an awful lot thats not built in the UK and whilst I would prefer it was, its often too expensive to get stuff built here at and get it to market at a competitive price. Looking at the pics in the link in my 1st post and the pics on AMR's website, I cant see any problems with the build quality at all!

There are only 2 commercial players I'd entertain, the AMR CD-77 (obviously I'd hope it would live up to my expectations) with its modern processing and classic TDA1541A and the Audio Aero Capitole with its STARS processing.

http://images2.testseek.com/images/products/113/282/_1584333034_o.jpg

Elzar
10-05-2011, 20:41
Lots of opinions on some other forums if you have a search.

The Black Adder
10-05-2011, 20:59
oh, sorry... I don't want to sound negative about this, I'm actually interested in an amplifier... just to see what it's like.

I just don't like pretty covers over things that you can't see anyway... seems a little odd.

Spectral Morn
10-05-2011, 22:28
Hi there guys.

Does anyone know anything about AMR? - I see that the stuff they make looks really quite impressive but I'm a little put off in the way of the build quality.

Like most run of the mill products designed or/and assembled in China AMR claim that their units are designed and made on Blighty soil... Thing is, I think they are telling porkies.

Some Chinese stuff puts me off a little especially amplifiers for some reason. They look like they have been made on the cheap and with some further reasearch in to a Shanling (same unit as the Pure Sound 9000cdp) cd player a couple of years ago I found that cheap components were covered up with nice plastic parts to make them look all beefy n cool.

Not saying this is anything like that it's just an observation on my previous experience.

So, has anyone seen or heard AMR?

Cheers

Wowwwwww there......

AMR or Abbingdon Music Research are part of the Abbingdon Group who own a manufacturing facility in China .....note the word OWN here. Some of the manufacturing does take place in China case work etc some assembly does happen here too (I would need to ask Vincent about what exactly) The reason stuff is covered is quite a lot in the AMR products are secret hence covered up. You want to buy one and tear it apart be my guest. I realise that some companies do this to cover up shit bits but AMR are not one of those companies.

I know Vincent Luke of AMR quite well and he and the others I have met are honourable people. I also own an AMR CD-77 CD player, which is imho an excellent player.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
10-05-2011, 22:30
I have always admired the AMR gear for its unbelievable build quality and use of super quality components. I have never heard any,though Neil here has one of the CD players and I am sure he will be along to give you the gen.

Hi Steve

My upstairs system AMR CD-77 that you heard.....:doh: when you visited moi awhile ago.

Regards D S D L

The Black Adder
11-05-2011, 06:48
Wowwwwww there......

AMR or Abbingdon Music Research are part of the Abbingdon Group who own a manufacturing facility in China .....note the word OWN here. Some of the manufacturing does take place in China case work etc some assembly does happen here too (I would need to ask Vincent about what exactly) The reason stuff is covered is quite a lot in the AMR products are secret hence covered up. You want to buy one and tear it apart be my guest. I realise that some companies do this to cover up shit bits but AMR are not one of those companies.

I know Vincent Luke of AMR quite well and he and the others I have met are honourable people. I also own an AMR CD-77 CD player, which is imho an excellent player.

Regards D S D L

Righto.. that's good enough for me. Jeremy Beadle has left the building! :)

roob
11-05-2011, 14:38
There is a guy who posts on the Wam and pfm(sq225917) who had the integrated and was not to impressed with it, he soon got rid, you could drop him a pm for more info.

The Black Adder
11-05-2011, 19:02
I've just read the review by him and he loved it... But I put the initial negativity down to him comparing it to a totally different system and not enough time in the room with it.

His speakers in my opinon were not up to scratch either. It seems that this amp is really quite speaker choosey!

aquapiranha
11-05-2011, 19:59
Hi Steve

My upstairs system AMR CD-77 that you heard.....:doh: when you visited moi awhile ago.

Regards D S D L

Oh right :doh: :lol:

I was impressed anyway so I guess that means I think it is great! Certainly if I was in the market it would be on my list. I understand there are some lessexpensive components now too?

roob
12-05-2011, 07:24
SQ has posted some further very negative comments on different threads(once he had sold the amp;)) mainly to do with the bass being on the soft and wooly side if I remember correctly.

The Black Adder
12-05-2011, 08:13
ah.. I only read the initial thread... Hmmm, well hifi is horses for courses sometimes I suppose... Suits some until they hear different.

I must admit though, there have not been many 'super-great' revirews of this amplifier. 6moons review is ok but it certainly doesn't big it up that much in conclusion.

I've been reading about weak bass and overengineering. But if this amp is speaker choosey then it all makes sense. I believe that my Harbeths would be a perfect match though.

Who knows.

roob
12-05-2011, 09:35
There is a huge Super HL5 thread on pfm and from reading most of it the general consensus is that they work best with SS amps. A guy local to me tried running a pair with a 12w Leben and it didn't work so he sold them on as he loves the Leben.

hifi_dave
12-05-2011, 11:17
Not so. They might not work too well with 12 watts of Leben but then again they might not work too well with 12 watts of SS.

Even so, I get great sounds with 12 watts of Quad II, 15 watts of Leak Stereo 20 and 15 watts of Radford STA 15, using the SHL5. For most of my listening and for many people, that is all that would be needed but if I want a bit of head banging, a more powerful amp would be the order of the day.

I also regularly use other, more powerful, tube/valve based amps such as the EAR 899 and 834, the Puresound A30 and various Croft amps. All sound excellent through the Harbeth SHL5 as do many SS amps.