PDA

View Full Version : WTD Speaker stands for B&W DM2's

synsei
08-05-2011, 01:12
Hi,

Wanted: A pair of heavy duty speaker stands, 400mm approx height for my DM2's. Ta!!!

Rare Bird
08-05-2011, 20:00
Hi Dave
I had to have some specially made..mine came with the floor level wedge that tilts the speaker back.

synsei
08-05-2011, 20:49
It's certainly an option, thanks Andre ;)

Alex_UK
08-05-2011, 20:59
I need something similar for my SP1s- been tempted by the Atacama SL 400 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATACAMA-SL-400-SPEAKER-STANDS-40CM-HEIGHT-3-FINISHES-/160493493881?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_EquipmentSt ands_SM&hash=item255e285e79#ht_1128wt_905) as a cheap and good looking option - but I will probably get some of the Something Solid XF (http://www.hificorner.co.uk/hi-fi-brands/q-t/something-solid/something-solid-xf-speaker-stand.html) ones - they are built to your requirements, and very well regarded - PM hifi_dave if you're interested as he can supply them. (Prices start at around £200 I think.)

Tim
08-05-2011, 22:32
Alex, I have been looking at the SL 400's as a possible stand too - a bit cheaper here;

Atacama SL400 Speaker Stands (http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/furniture/speaker-stands/atacama-sl400-speaker-stands-black/prod_215.html)

Alex_UK
09-05-2011, 07:21
Well done Tim - I think the consensus is though, that for these type of speakers (i.e. "thin walled" where the cabinets are designed to flex) open frame stands are preferable - but of course the Atacama ones are likely to be a cheaper option.

synsei
09-05-2011, 10:38
Well done Tim - I think the consensus is though, that for these type of speakers (i.e. "thin walled" where the cabinets are designed to flex) open frame stands are preferable - but of course the Atacama ones are likely to be a cheaper option.

DM2's, thin Walled??? My God Alex, they're anything but ;)

If I can't find anything suitable on eBay over the next couple of weeks, I'll probably settle for the Atacama's... :cool:

Alex_UK
09-05-2011, 10:57
Sorry Dave - I didn't make myself clear - (and got myself a bit confused as Tim & I have been talking about stands via PM too) - I was meaning the Harbeth Super HL5's and my Spendor SP1's as being thin walled - sorry for the confusion and thread hijacking!

synsei
09-05-2011, 11:07
No worries :lolsign:

Welder
09-05-2011, 13:51
I would love to say “don’t worry guys, I’ll knock a set up for you” but by the time postage is taken into account (the last set I made for someone would have cost a small fortune to post given they weighed around 40 kg each :eyebrows:) I doubt it’s a practical solution.

The thing is, a really good set of speaker stands, by that I mean something that doesn’t fall over in a slight breeze, doesn’t ring or resonate and fits your speakers perfectly, isn’t hard to make by anyone who can use a hacksaw, drill and a file and knows a friendly local garage with mig welding kit.

I’ve made a dozen or so sets now for various people. They are all made basically the same way, with the same materials and if you’re prepared to cut the metal to length (hacksaw cut is fine) then take it to the guy with the mig welding kit with a drawing it shouldn’t cost you much and all that’s left to do is spray them.
There is an easy way (?) to ensure the sections get welded in the right place and at the right strength.

A lot depends on whether you want pretty and artistic or something that actually works.

If you’re interested in how it’s done and what to use drop me a PM and I’ll pass on some instructions.

synsei
09-05-2011, 17:58
Unfortunately there's little to no chance of me being able to make them John, I have severe back problems as well as other health issues. It's a pain in the ass because I used to be able to turn my hand to just about anything... :(

Rare Bird
10-05-2011, 12:11
John
Open frames out of box section wouldnt cost much to post.

synsei
10-05-2011, 13:36
John
Open frames out of box section wouldnt cost much to post.

Something along those lines would be perfect. ;)

Tim
10-05-2011, 13:49
Something along those lines would be perfect. ;)
Custom Design will do that for you :)

http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=ttf62qm3l34894g2ehvbhjujd5

Welder
10-05-2011, 13:55
First of all, would you be interested in stands like those shown in my gallery pics Dave but without the side feet on the bottom horizontals? Instead the spikes would be fitted directly into the base horizontals.
They would be spray painted rather than anodized.

If you are, then PM me the exact dimensions and I’ll see what material etc I have left.
I just want to be clear here, I’m making no promises until I’ve checked what I have and don’t have.

Anyone else while I'm at it?

Tim
10-05-2011, 15:43
PM about to come your way John ;)

Rare Bird
10-05-2011, 15:53

Got any 3/4'' Box section John, do you have a chop saw for 45 degree cuts as i was wanting a pair but none of those shit plastic end caps..Also fussy about welding, no welds inside, just all welds on the outside ground off flush ;)

Welder
10-05-2011, 17:01
:D no Andre, I don’t have a chop saw. I can cut a 45degree angle with a hacksaw just the same as I can file something flat within a few tenths of a thou. I’m an engineer, not a machine operator ;)

Next, I don’t weld supports with 45 degree joins as the strength then is reliant on the weld alone and if you make lots of different sizes, a jig to ensure it all stays square is impractical.

The stands I make have each section let in to the other (interference fit….fecking great hammer) and are then externally mig welded on the outside on four faces and ground tidy. This means the will take a lot of abuse without flexing at the weld and my current stands will hold my 2.75 ton truck (couldn’t find my axle stands once)

I might be able to knock up some nasty badly designed flexy crap for you if like Andre if I have the material :doh: :lol:

On a more serious note Andre, the problem with 45 degree cuts and ground welds is unless the weld joins are part angle ground, then to bring the weld flush with the material most of the weld that gives the strength is ground away. Yep, you can strut the box to give support but even then for something that may be supporting thousands of pounds worth of kit……………..well lets just say I haven’t has anyone come back and say your stand collapsed John.
Yep, it’s and easy for mass production but it’s not something I’m interested in making mate.

synsei
10-05-2011, 18:17
You have a PM John :cool:

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2011, 18:31
On a more serious note Andre, the problem with 45 degree cuts and ground welds is unless the weld joins are part angle ground, then to bring the weld flush with the material most of the weld that gives the strength is ground away.
I used to work with a coded welder that worked on pipework for nuclear power stations, so i know exactly where you are coming from with that statement ;)