PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Hifiwise

pjdowns
03-02-2008, 21:17
Hi All,

My name is Paul and I was recommended this forum from your administrator.

I also run my own forum and this can be found at

www.hifiwise.co.uk

Currently working on my two systems, one Hifi and the other Home Cinema and also getting into the digital streaming market a little too.

bye for now

Paul.

Marco
03-02-2008, 21:58
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum :)

Glad you've popped in to check us out. Feel free to contribute to some of the threads. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here.

Guys,

If you get a chance have a look at Paul's place and maybe try and liven it up a bit :p

Marco.

Filterlab
04-02-2008, 08:44
Hi Paul and nice to have you here. I'll pop over to your place and have a butchers. :)

Andy831
06-02-2008, 06:43
Yeah I have been over there in Pauls place almost from the start.

It was a bit slow at first but some of the regulars from Paul previous forum incarnation are slowly drifting back and it is now getting there.

25 registered members by weekend? I hope so.

Come on lads give Paul some support if you have the time.

Marco
06-02-2008, 07:07
Hi Andy,

You know I've already dropped in :)

So if you get a chance pop in and say hi to Paul, guys.

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
06-02-2008, 21:55
Just tried to drop in there but just getting an internet error message..

pjdowns
06-02-2008, 22:35
Hi guys and thanks for all of the support on the forum.

Currently it is down for essential maintenance. Hopefully bring it back online shortly and then you can all pop along and say Hi, HOPEFULLY ;)

Paul.

Filterlab
06-02-2008, 22:36
Hi guys and thanks for all of the support on the forum.

Currently it is down for essential maintenance. Hopefully bring it back online shortly and then you can all pop along and say Hi, HOPEFULLY ;)

Paul.

We'll be there to say hello mate. :)

Marco
06-02-2008, 22:38
Yepy doodle...

Didn't know you were in the trade, Paul?

Marco.

pjdowns
06-02-2008, 23:51
In the trade Marco ?

Rob, be glad to see you over there ...

P.

Marco
06-02-2008, 23:52
Yeah, you're in our Trade Dealer category :)

Is it a mistake?

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 00:05
Yes I am afraid so.

I am an IT geek I am afraid Marco.

Although, I have to admit that I have considered exploring the Hifi/Home Cinema job market.

Hifiwise forum is good enough for now though !!!

P.

Marco
07-02-2008, 00:06
LOL, no problem Paul. I'll put you back to an ordinary member.

Marco.

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 00:06
Yes I am afraid so.

I am an IT geek I am afraid Marco.

Although, I have to admit that I have considered exploring the Hifi/Home Cinema job market.

Hifiwise forum is good enough for now though !!!

P.

I'll switch you over to a registered member then - nothing changes aside from your title and it helps to avoid confusion for other members. :)

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 00:10
As long as I am not banished from your forums now due to my lack of 'Trade' connection ;)

P.

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 00:11
As long as I am not banished from your forums now due to my lack of 'Trade' connection ;)

P.

Nope, just as welcome as ever! :D :wave:

Marco
07-02-2008, 00:13
No chance, mate. We're here to help :)

Your forum seems to be going not too badly at the moment. This place is flying along very nicely indeed. We've only been going two weeks so we're well chuffed at what we've achieved so far.

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 00:18
Yeah I am pretty impressed with the progress of my forum and very much glad that you guys have had so much success with this one.

Anything I can do to help, please let me know as you have been more than generous in helping me out !!!

Paul.

Marco
07-02-2008, 00:22
No worries, Paul. It would be good to work together on this.

Here's a suggestion for you. How would you like to be a moderator here? I think you're perfect material and people would get to know you better and so perhaps be more likely to join your site, too?

Just a thought. If you're up for it I'll arrange the necessary :)

ATB,
Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 00:25
Sounds like a plan Marco. We could maybe do something with my site too once it has started to kick off properly if you like !

Let me know

P.

Marco
07-02-2008, 00:30
Ok, I'll just clear it with the other guys and sort it tomorrow :)

It'll give you some good practice until your site is up on its feet properly as well as making some new friends here.

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 00:32
Great, thanks for the offer Marco, this partnership could be pretty rewarding me thinks !!! ;)

Paul.

Steve Toy
07-02-2008, 01:47
I'm happy with PJ as mod.

Vinyl Grinder
07-02-2008, 18:22
I'm happy with PJ as mod.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/MOD.jpg

Just a vision.;)

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 20:30
Lol

Marco
07-02-2008, 20:33
LOL. Yeah it's well freaky :wow:

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 20:39
Marco, I have replied to your PM!

Paul.

Marco
07-02-2008, 20:42
Got it and replied back! :p

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 20:54
Core, I was expecting a big old reply and all I get is a few words LOL

Na, glad how we are ... why rock the boat as they say ;)

P.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 21:43
So Marco,

Hows your day going so far ...

I had a very busy day at work today so was glad to get home to have a listen to some music !

P.

Marco
07-02-2008, 21:45
I'm cool, Paul. Just chilling out listening to some choons :guitar:

Marco.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 21:49
Good good, that's what I like to hear :):gig:

Marco
07-02-2008, 22:06
Do you like our smilies, then? There will be lots more tomorrow! :mex:

Marco.

pjdowns
08-02-2008, 18:15
Yeah love them ...

Might have to borrow a few to take over to my forum :)

:harp: :gig:

Marco
08-02-2008, 18:18
No problem, it's all part of the service :glug:

Marco.

pjdowns
08-02-2008, 21:22
Actually, not sure I know how to take them across. LOL

pjdowns
20-02-2008, 17:10
Ok all,

My forum appears to have gone very quiet ... not that it was exactly busy before.

If you feel like helping out a fellow Hifi enthusiast, please feel free to pop along !

Paul.

pjdowns
09-03-2008, 17:17
Hello everyone ...

It appears that my forum is having a few issues so is currently down in case you were wonder where it was...

I hope to have this sorted out shortly !!

Paul.

pjdowns
15-03-2008, 21:01
Ok so my forum is still down which is very frustrating.

The guy who looks after the forum for me was away on holiday last week so I hope to get it sorted sooner rather than later !

Watch this space ....

Marco
15-03-2008, 21:16
Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you're up and running again soon :)

Marco.

pjdowns
16-03-2008, 22:23
Thanks Marco,

Hopefully we'll get there in the end !

Paul.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 14:56
All,

I have finally managed to get the forum back up and running. Unfortunatly my vendor had problems with backups so I have had to completely recreate the forum from scratch.

Please feel free to pop over and say hi.

Regards

Paul.

Marco
29-03-2008, 15:08
No worries, Paul. Glad you're back up and running again :)

Just make sure alll your rooms are opened with a thread so the place doesn't look empty.

Marco.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 15:50
Thanks Marco,

Have done !

Please come over and say hi when you get a chance,

Paul.

Marco
29-03-2008, 15:56
Paul,

I've clicked on your link a few times and all I get is:

Error 504 (Gateway Timeout) 'www.hifiwise.co.uk' could not be found.

Is your site down again or is there something wrong with your link?

Marco.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 16:03
Marco,

The old link has now changed as it used to be re-directed.

If you go directly to ... http://www.hifiwise.co.uk you should be ok !

Let me know !

Paul.

Marco
29-03-2008, 16:36
Nope. Still getting the same error message! :confused:

I wonder if anyone else is finding the same problem?

Marco.

Mike
29-03-2008, 16:52
Works ok for me. Maybe there's a numpty filter?

:lolsign: :ner:

Marco
29-03-2008, 16:59
LOL. Could well be! But that's exactly the message I'm getting :confused:

Error 504 (Gateway Timeout) 'www.hifiwise.co.uk' could not be found.

Maybe there's some software compatibility issue between my ISP or computer and Paul's site? I used to be able to get on before, though...

Perhaps some smart I.T-type chappie could advise?

Paul,

Has anything changed with the way your site is accessed now since your recent problems?

Marco.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 18:22
Marco,

I don't think that there should have been any routing changes as part of the rebuild.

As far as I am aware anyway.

Just use the link in my signature.

Have you tried clearing your cookies and internet settings etc ?... maybe what is happening is that you link is trying to go to the original location !

Let me know

Paul.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 20:18
How are you getting on Marco ?

Paul.

Marco
29-03-2008, 20:28
I think it might be this laptop, Paul. I'll have another go on my wife's one later when she's finished doing some work on it :)

Strange, though, because I can access any of the other forums no problem...

Marco.

pjdowns
29-03-2008, 22:11
Is the PC your own ?

Have you been to my forum before from that specific laptop ?

How do you connect to the internet ?

Paul.

Marco
30-03-2008, 09:16
To answer your questions:

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) AOL Broadband (latest version).

:)

Marco.

Marco
30-03-2008, 09:26
I'm on my wife's laptop now, and this time I'm getting:

"Internet Explorer cannot display this Webpage".

This is bizarre. There are no problems with accessing ANY other site :confused:

Maybe it's an AOL thing? There's definitely something wrong with the way my Internet facility is accessing your website, but what it is, who knows? Hey ho...

Am I missing anything important? :lol:

Marco.

pjdowns
30-03-2008, 10:06
Marco,

No you're not missing anything much as yet ... I have a couple of members now :)

It is a pitty that you are unable to access the forum ... not sure what is causing it, I'll have a chat with my forum vendor and see if he has any answers and then report back ;)

Paul:gig:

Marco
30-03-2008, 10:47
Yes please do. I'm curious as to what the problem is. It must be something that's changed since your re-launch because, as you know, everything was ok before :)

Marco.

pjdowns
30-03-2008, 13:51
The forum used to be based at http://forums.hifiwise.co.uk/ and then get routed to http://www.hifiwise.co.uk.

The only thing that has changed to my knowledge is that it now resides directly at http://www.hifiwise.co.uk and as such there is no routing involved.

Maybe that is the problem.

Do you use Firefox or Internet Explorer. I am just wondering if this could have something to do with it. I do know that my Apple Mac struggles to find the website using Safari, but then again it did prior to the re-build.

Paul.

Marco
30-03-2008, 14:02
I don't know, Paul. I know next to nothing about how computers operate. Unfortunately all three links above fail to connect me to your site.

What is Firefox? I've heard it mentioned before but have no idea what exactly it is.

Sorry for my ignorance in these matters. All I know is that I log-on to the Internet via a sign-in box on AOL Version 9 - what happens after that is a complete mystery to me!

Marco.

pjdowns
30-03-2008, 14:08
Sorry Marco, I wasn't trying to consfuse you.

If you are currently using Internet Exlorer which is most likely if you are using either a Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista machine, then might I suggest that you use Firefox and see if you still have the same issues.

You can get Firefox from here:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

Maybe that will help.

Paul.

Marco
30-03-2008, 14:22
LOL. No worries, Paul. You're not confusing me - it's just that my knowledge of using computers is logging on to the Internet and doing VAT invoices for my business! When it comes to software stuff, I haven't got a clue :lolsign:

If I sign up for this Firefox thing will it upset the normal settings/layout I'm used to using?

I don't want anything to change from what I'm used to. I'm very much a creature of habit!

Marco.

pjdowns
30-03-2008, 14:36
Na Marco, It shouldn't cause you any problems, it will even ask you if you want to copy across your favourites ...

I am just htinking that this would proove if it is something to do with the setup of Internet Explorer !

P.

Marco
30-03-2008, 14:44
It's funny though how *nothing* in my set-up has changed since I last accessed your forum before the recent changes at your end... That's what intrigues me!

If I have to alter something with my set-up, then so be it, but I would love to know what's going on :scratch:

I'll try this Firefox thing later. I'm afraid that installing new software on my computer is not something that fills me with a great deal of joy.

I'll let you know in due course how I get on. Pity things had to change in the first place! :(

Marco.

pjdowns
30-03-2008, 14:48
Marco,

I am confused too. I can't understand why you are having so many problems, as far as I am aware, anyone else that has accessed the forum hasn't had any trouble. You are right though, if nothing has changed on your machine, it is more than likely to do with my forum.

If you are concerned about installing FireFox, don't bother, it is not a problem, Internet Exploer should realistically be able to access the site anyway !

P

pjdowns
02-04-2008, 22:43
Hiya Marco,

How are you getting on ?

I have a chat with my forum supplier and they have said that nothing has changed apart from what I mentioned earlier.

Paul.

pjdowns
07-04-2008, 18:21
Aha Marco,

I had another discussion with my forum provider today and he let slip something that maybe worth a try.

Try clearing your cache and cookies and internet history. Basically like I had said earlier, the reason you maybe having a problem is that we used to get to http://www.hifiwise.co.uk via a link http://forums.hifiwise.co.uk. Now this has changed to reside soley on http://www.hifiwise.co.uk.

As such, you cached information within Internet Explorer would still be trying to route you to http://forums.hifiwise.co.uk. So if you were to clear them down, all should be ok again. On IE6 this is as simple as going to tools - Internet Options and choosing delete cookies, delete files and clear history. I think things are slightly different on IE7. Try it and let me know how you get on, it would be a shame if you were unable to come along. We have even got Filterlab down there ;)

Paul.

pjdowns
26-10-2008, 10:35
Just an update to say that Hifiwise has gone down and not to return.

I have realised that it takes a lot more hard work and time that I have or am willing to give to keep members interest.

My intention is to still keep coming over here every so often, so you don't get rid of me that easily ;)

Hope all is well with everyone.

Speak soon.

Paul.

Marco
26-10-2008, 12:50
I have realised that it takes a lot more hard work and time that I have or am willing to give to keep members interest.

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed, I know all about the above!

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out. I always enjoy your contributions so you're welcome here anytime :)

Perhaps you could mail your members with a link to AOS as a suggested alternative? I'm sure they'd enjoy here too. We will certainly try and look after their interests.

Marco.

Filterlab
26-10-2008, 15:46
Perhaps you could mail your members with a link to AOS as a suggested alternative?

Except Gobshite and Tosspot of course, you know who I mean. :)

Marco
26-10-2008, 17:10
Indeed, but I think Paul had banned them anyway :)

Marco.

Filterlab
26-10-2008, 21:08
Indeed, but I think Paul had banned them anyway :)

Marco.

Unsurprisingly.