PDA

View Full Version : Shelter 501-II Cartridge

MartinT
04-05-2011, 18:25
First Impressions

I drove home today in eager anticipation of listening to the Shelter 501-II that I bought used from Tom (see Shelter 501 Mk II (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=209595&postcount=1)). These are just some initial impressions as I listen to and get used to its sound. Comparisons are with my Dynavector DV-20X2L, both running through the CineMag step-up in high (30x) mode.

Setup was a pain as it has slots and the second most pathetic stylus guard ever - just marginally better than the Dynavector's! I used a Sumiko headshell, leaving the DV in its own headshell. I like the fact that the Sumiko is double-pinned and can be screwed very tightly into the arm.

Output is very close to the DV's so I left all the gain settings alone. I set tracking weight to 1.8g after a few experimental listens and VTA to very slightly high at the tail.

Listening to it, I get a tremendous soundstage, wider than the DV and about the same depth. There is also a wealth of detail with tremendous leading edges and microdynamics. On the downside there is more sibilance on my torture test (Save Me from Joan Armatrading), which I slightly dialled out by increasing the tracking weight, and bass is not as weighty as the DV's admittedly outstanding performance in this area - although the Shelter is every bit as dynamic with wonderful attack. Surface noise is slightly more noticeable.

The presentation of music is highly dynamic, neutral and very musical indeed. In fact, it's infectious and makes me want to play everything at once! Lots of detail in a big, open stage with surprising slam. I would say the top end is perhaps not as clean as the DV and this probably accounts for the sibilance I noticed (but only on the one track), and also the surface noise.

If I categorise the overall sound of the DV as 'dark', the Shelter is more vibrant and full of midrange zest. I am not getting the warmth thing that other reviews have noted, but then I think the DV arm plays an important part in getting the best from cartridges and adding very little itself. There is no doubt that the Shelter is a tremendous cartridge and I need to fine tune the settings now to get the best from it.

Just wait until my Hashimoto HM-7 step-up transformer arrives from Choir Audio :)

Oh, and thank you Tom for a most satisfactory transaction.

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/shelter501.jpg

Marco
05-05-2011, 04:16
Hi Martin,

First of all, that's an eye-poppingly gorgeous picture, so get it posted on the 'Get yer turntables out for the boys' thread at once! :stalks: :stalks: :eek:

Nice one. It looks like the 501 will prove to be a good alternative to your DV! I suspected that it would better the DV in some areas, and vice-versa, which is good, as it gives you the option of a different 'flavour' to enjoy your vinyl with.

Like you, I suspect that there's more to come from both of your cartridges with the arrival of the Hashimoto HM-7, so enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
05-05-2011, 05:38
First of all, that's an eye-poppingly gorgeous picture, so get it posted on the 'Get yer turntables out for the boys' thread at once! :stalks: :stalks: :eek:

Thank you, I will.

Nice one. It looks like the 501 will prove to be a good alternative to your DV! I suspected that it would better the DV in some areas, and vice-versa, which is good, as it gives you the option of a different 'flavour' to enjoy your vinyl with.

Yes, different flavour is a good way of putting it, although I would say that overall the Shelter has the edge. I'm astounded at getting such quality for reasonable cost, I've never much fancied paying Koetsu prices.

alfie2902
07-05-2011, 16:11
Anymore thoughts on the Shelter 501, Martin, now you've had a little more time with it?

Be interesting to know of your thoughts with the Hashimoto HM-7 trannies, when they arrive! My thinking is the quality of the transformers i.e. winding style/quality, iron etc is as important as correct loading for sound quality!

MartinT
07-05-2011, 18:12
I'm going to try another headshell, Alfie, see if I can dial out the last of the sibilance. There is still something about the top end, will have to put the DV-20X2L back on to listen further for differences. The bass end is really superb and a match for the DV, which is really saying something. Midrange is where the Shelter wins.

The HM-7s are on their way, should arrive next week.

MartinT
08-05-2011, 20:15
I switched the Shelter to my second Dynavector headshell (a very sturdy casting and very hard to get hold of), so that I can compare the cartridges directly. Setting alignment very carefully and optimising tracking weight at around 1.8g, it sounds better than before but sibilance is not completely eliminated. There is a splashiness around the 's' sound which causes it to lose definition on those sounds.

To be sure that I wasn't hearing things, I swapped back to the Dynavector DV-20X2L (in a similar headshell). There is the slightly less forward midrange, darker presentation but much lower sibilance and lower surface noise. Bass definition is similar but slightly less punchy than the Shelter.

So I have two cartridges with different strengths and really want the best of both rolled into one. Perhaps I just have to accept that I must move upmarket to achieve what I want, but I haven't finished yet: there is the HM-7 step-up to try out, which should arrive this week. It has slightly lower gain than the CineMags, which will help prevent the Whest input stage from overloading, not to mention much larger transformers and core so that they won't overload. More to come soon.

Thought for the day: if I have to move upmarket, which would be the better path: Dynavector (the XX2 Mk.II) or Shelter (the 5000)? Tricky!

alfie2902
08-05-2011, 20:17
I'm going to try another headshell, Alfie, see if I can dial out the last of the sibilance. There is still something about the top end, will have to put the DV-20X2L back on to listen further for differences. The bass end is really superb and a match for the DV, which is really saying something. Midrange is where the Shelter wins.

The HM-7s are on their way, should arrive next week.

Hi Martin,

What are you loading it at? have you tried both settings on the CineMags? Loading seems to effect the treble.

Shelters loading recommendations are a little odd at "within 20 ohms with step-up transformer" & "Within 100 ohms with head amplifier", what does within mean?

Some people seem to like to load at 100ohms, but also good results are claimed at 38ohms! Might be worth a play if your phono stage can take the gain!

EDIT: If the gain is a problem you could always use resistors to lower the impedance.

MartinT
08-05-2011, 20:35
Hi Alfie, I'm loading both cartridges with the CineMags at high gain - 52 ohms loading. It's as low as I can go. The HM-7s will go lower, down to 2-7 ohms (according to Choir Audio's spec).

I see where you're going with this - the Shelter may well need a lower loading value to eliminate the sibilance. In which case, the HM-7s are going to help a lot. Interestingly, the DV loves low loads, too (their own phono stage has current drive which is effectively 0 ohm loading).

MartinT
09-05-2011, 16:55
I took great care today over cleaning the stylus repeatedly with AT607, checking all alignments and then using a spirit level to fine tune the VTA after setting the tracking weight to exactly 1.7g, which seems to be the concensus of reviewers out there. All these steps reportedly help reduce sibilance and so they did, but not entirely. This is the best sound I've yet achieved from the Shelter and it's not likely to improve for the moment.

The Shelter's midrange is absolutely superb and so are its dynamics, rhythmic drive and slam. Bass extension is impressive and yet remains tight and well textured. Only the treble lets the side down with marginally less definition and a remaining problem with 's' sounds.

I'll keep on listening and remain hopeful that the lower loading impedance of the Hashimotos will further tame the treble. For now, though, this is a very good cartridge showing flashes of greatness.

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/shelter501-2.jpg

Rare Bird
03-06-2011, 00:47
Get that platter anodised to match to arm :)

MartinT
03-06-2011, 05:51
Get that platter anodised to match to arm :)

Do you know of anyone who could do it?

Marco
03-06-2011, 08:12
Might affect how it sounds, so be careful! ;)

Marco.

MartinT
03-06-2011, 08:52
Agreed, Marco. It's either that or I'll give it a really good polish with Brasso, having first removed the o-ring.

Alex_UK
03-06-2011, 10:20
Agreed, Marco. It's either that or I'll give it a really good polish with Brasso, having first removed the o-ring.

It'll be a lot of work, but you can get an extremely good shiny finish on aluminium with Autosol... I did the foot peg hangers on my motorbike to an almost mirror finish, but they were pretty smooth to start with.... Don't sue me if you get RSI though! :)

MartinT
03-06-2011, 10:31
It'll be a lot of work, but you can get an extremely good shiny finish on aluminium with Autosol

Excellent idea, Alex. Brasso first and then Autosol, I think. Thanks.

Marco
03-06-2011, 11:47
Good plan, Martin. That's what I done with mine. T-Cut can also be useful. Some pics of the finished results would be good :)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
04-06-2011, 17:18
Do you know of anyone who could do it?

I used Acorn Plating in Sandhurst village for the Jelco arm collars, and they are definitely to be recommended. You can go in without a clue what sort of process you need and they'll happily advise. Contact details are at http://www.acornplating.co.uk/80405/contact.php

DSJR
04-06-2011, 17:34
Martin, glad you found the mk2 Dynavector 20 series similar (and possibly better) than the also darker toned mk1's - IMO..

One thing I'd like to ask is - Are the cartridge bolts non-magnetic? Most of the "black" bolts available to us were magnetic steel ones and these had a negative sonic effect on the moving coil cartridges they were used to fix. Switching to non magnetic stainless steel ones almost always brought about a profound improvement.

MartinT
04-06-2011, 17:59
Hi Dave

Yes, the bolts that DV provided were non-magnetic but seemed very hard, and were grey in colour. Not like the usual useless aluminium bolts provided with a lot of cartridges.

I loved the DV's dark nature but occasionally felt a little short-changed in the midrange, especially on female voice. Conversely, the Shelter 501-II was magnificent in the midrange but didn't have a clean treble, unlike the DV. I hope to get the best of both when my new Shelter 5000 arrives :)

MartinT
04-06-2011, 18:01
I used Acorn Plating in Sandhurst village for the Jelco arm collars, and they are definitely to be recommended.

Thanks, Hugo. I'm torn between this and doing my own polishing. I'll have another think about it.

Marco
04-06-2011, 20:17
Whilst Hugo's arm collars look and feel superb, the anodised finish has no direct influence on the performance of the partnering tonearm - it would be a very different ball game on a T/T platter...

In that application, anodising *could* alter the resonance characteristics of the platter, which would unquestionably affect how Martin's T/T would sound, and so it could be better or worse.

My advice, Martin, would be to tread very carefully indeed, as if it did make things worse, you'd be fooked!!

Generally, I'm a risk taker with most things in life, but for me this particular move is too risky, as quite simply, there is much more to lose than gain. Therefore, I'd stick to polishing, mate.

The ball's in your court, though :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
04-06-2011, 22:55
Yes, on reflection I think you're right, Marco. I shall therefore acquire some Brasso and Autosol and see how I fare.

Rare Bird
22-06-2011, 13:31
Might affect how it sounds, so be careful! ;)

Marco.

The Aluminium oxide will of course give an harder finish, make's the item more resillient to corrosion, fingerprints etc..Doubt very much you'll hear any difference.. the finish thickness depends, higher voltages used in the process usually give a thicker finish..The finish will also make it look more professional & of course match the rest of the deck & arm.

MartinT
22-06-2011, 14:33
I've now got some Autosol, Andr'e. I'm going to try that first and, if I don't like the finish, I'll think about having it professionally treated.

I've got to break the Achromat/Platter bond and wipe the Vaseline off first, so I won't do it until I can go without vinyl for a couple of days.